RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

where NOT to stay in new york city

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 11/20/05 12:54 pm    ::: where NOT to stay in new york city Reply Reply with quote

this is a really entertaining story and, as someone who works in manhattan, i now have a LOT of questions answered about the hotel carter, a hotel just a half-block off times square that boasts more than 600 rooms and from the outside looks like a not-that-bad hotel for $89 a night. i've seen lots of students and foreigners come out of there, lots of people dressed up in tuxes and long dressses come out of there, but the curiosity (and doubt) has lingered. i'm glad the ny times finally told the story:

What Do You Expect for $99.23 a Night?

snippet:
In the rooms upstairs, tales of lodging woe unfolded. One guest said his television played the sound from one channel but showed the picture from another. A couple in Room 500 said they were surprised to discover that they did not have a closet. And a businesswoman from Ukraine on the 23rd floor found that she liked her room better in the dark. "If the curtains close, light is off, it's not that bad," she said.

snippet:
A two-night stay at the hotel last week illustrated the benefits and the drawbacks of bargain lodging in Times Square. The hotel can be humorously disorienting. People have stood on the sidewalk outside the hotel and tried to decipher, without success, the meaning of one of the hotel's slogans, displayed above its bronze-colored awning: "You Wanted in Time Square & Less."

snippet:
The lobby is a 24-hour people-watcher's paradise. It can feel, in a narrow room that resembles a cross between a D.M.V. office and a Las Vegas disco, like Saturday night on an early Wednesday morning. At one moment, two elegantly dressed women in evening gowns and high heels appeared. At another, a man sat down and drank from a can of Budweiser. "The best show on Broadway," a former guest wrote on one travel Web site, tripadvisor.com, "is the lobby of the Carter."

what a great read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/20/nyregion/20carter.html?hp

i've had the same curiosity about the time-honored, gargantuan milford hotel around the corner. maybe they'll dissect that one next. it has a huge M on the building. maybe that means it's the total opposite of the upscale hotel that has a huge W on its building . . .

PostPosted: 11/21/05 3:01 pm    ::: Re: where NOT to stay in new york city Reply Reply with quote

One place to stay, if you've just hit the lottery that is, is the Roger Williams on Madison and 31st street. It was beautiful and the service was excellent...I believe it is near Madison Square Garden for you road trippers Wink

http://www.hotelrogerwilliams.com/home.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: