RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Better for the League: Lynx win or Sparks win?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/22/16 9:36 pm    ::: Better for the League: Lynx win or Sparks win? Reply Reply with quote

After absorbing the end of what can arguably be called one of the most competitive WNBA finals in league history, I noticed the intense emotions it evoked across social media platforms. Add to that the league making the official announcement that the refs messed up, the shot should not have counted only served to ramp up those emotions. Its started me to wondering if that particular lemon might not end up yielding some very refreshing lemonade. Stay with me now. Owner and one of the most storied players in NBA history has continued his winning ways by helping to bring a WNBA championship back to LA, NBA/WNBA excellence. Compelling storyline. A potential rivalry that the sporting public can sink their teeth into may just have emerged. Loss by 1 point in the last game over a very competitive 5 game series most likely leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the fans backing the Lynx. I think it will keep them charged up and hungry for the next season. I think it will fire up a lot of fans that don't live in either city. Nneka has made herself a bigger LA heroine than she already was. A long suffering superstar in Parker has finally reached her Holy Grail. Can she do it again?

So basically, I'm saying that because it ended the way it did, there is potential for more interest than if it hadn't.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/22/16 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No doubt, IMO. That's why it's such a shame that the attention after the game was so focussed on the referees, because there is really such a great story to be celebrated with the Sparks winning it after being so very close to death so recently.
When you look at how many other franchises have gone under in the short lifetime of the WNBA, and think of how easily the Sparks could have been added to that list, it makes this a very important achievement and makes me very happy for Magic & Co. that their faith was repaid like this. And it's not just good for LA. As someone mentioned elsewhere, the Sparks dying could have been a crippling or even fatal blow for the league.

PostPosted: 10/22/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a win-win scenario for the league. We got a great series, and either team winning would have been a boon.

PostPosted: 10/22/16 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx are bunch of perennial underachievers with horrible fans who are cocky and blame refs when they lose and hate players on other teams, along with a whiny head coach. So, as a Lynx fan, I have no problem that a team with the heart of a champion like the Sparks won, as the Lynx probably got what they deserved.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/22/16 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As mentioned, the entire series' competitive quality was a big boost, but I'd say that LA's win probably was a slightly more favorable outcome for the league's image....(most) people Like/Love Candace, and wanted to see her get her ring.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
The Lynx are bunch of perennial underachievers with horrible fans who are cocky and blame refs when they lose and hate players on other teams, along with a whiny head coach. So, as a Lynx fan, I have no problem that a team with the heart of a champion like the Sparks won, as the Lynx probably got what they deserved.

Laughing Laughing Laughing wow, you're funny & pretty childish.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/23/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It was a win-win scenario for the league. We got a great series, and either team winning would have been a boon.

Agreed! Even with the controversies, the series was amazingly competitive and the fan support was as high as it has been for a while. There were many story lines and a lot of beautiful basketball! I love that many of the Minny fans stayed around to celebrate with the Sparks.

Howee, I'm with you because those of us who love LA, the Vols, etc. have witnessed her journey and wanted to see CP get it but I've been utterly baffled at how much "hate" and criticism she constantly gets. With the level of vitrol at times, I've been wondering if she is walking around talking about people's mamas! lol! Perhaps as Nneka said she is simply misunderstood. Whatever it was, I'm thankful that she admits to growing and maturing a great deal, the Sparks bonded through it all and they got it done! The expectations of greatness have always been extremely heavy for her (as well as, other greats) and I know it feels so good to have this weight lifted.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no way to measure or quantify whether a Lynx win would have been "better" for the league than a Sparks win. Hence, any opinion is pure speculation.

My speculation is that the effect on the league, and potential new fans, of either team's winning would be virtually the same: nothing.

People who don't care about the WNBA -- even those who follow other levels of FBB -- didn't watch much or any of the WNBA finals and don't care who won. Nor will they become fans of the WNBA because the Lynx won, the Sparks won, or because the series was close.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/23/16 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
There's no way to measure or quantify whether a Lynx win would have been "better" for the league than a Sparks win. Hence, any opinion is pure speculation.

My speculation is that the effect on the league, and potential new fans, of either team's winning would be virtually the same: nothing.

People who don't care about the WNBA -- even those who follow other levels of FBB -- didn't watch much or any of the WNBA finals and don't care who won. Nor will they become fans of the WNBA because the Lynx won, the Sparks won, or because the series was close.

I respectfully disagree. I think you are correct in that the ones who never wanted to watch it would not be moved. But, I think casual fans will pay more attention. The on the fencers who need some kind of drama to peak their interest, I think this finals has provided that. Having one of the GOATs being the head of the winning franchise will open some previously closed eyes and minds. Yes I know it wont be a landslide of new interest but I think it's definitely a step forward.
josephkramer44

PostPosted: 10/24/16 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely no one has anything to ashamed about in regards to their play. Pretty intense. I can only watch sports while on a treadmill and I didn't even have the luxury of sound and the tension was evident. These two teams certainly put on a show for their fans. Their respective owners have to be happy as well. A couple extra games of revenue might make the difference between a respectable profit and barely breaking even or worse. All in all a win win situation for everyone involved.
However let us not be naive. The playoffs were poorly attended (the games I watched failed the eye test (even the Lynx home games) and I don't think any game of the finals was a sell out except for the last one (and they still gave away tickets). The tv ratings were nothing to write home about and neither were they anything to be ashamed about. The tv contract is set for many years though and shouldn't fluctuate in any meaningful way (either for better or for worse). Even game 5's ratings couldn't compete on the national level with syndicated shows and movies shown ad nauseam.
The fans of the WNBA were entertained and the Sparks have been saved from folding for some time now. But I don't think the WNBA attracted a substantial number of new viewers. There are simply too many other products in this saturated market. I think downsizing is still in the future, with teams playing in smaller venues (especially the teams with no NBA affiliates) and attempting to run the league as efficiently as possible. I just don't see it breaking out anytime soon (especially the less successful teams). It simply can't move beyond it's niche appeal. I personally think it is a mix of faulty condescending marketing and to a lesser extent a sports-fatigued public unwilling to give the product a chance due to certain uncomfortable preconceptions. Only way to tell is a check on attendance after a couple of weeks next season.

On a related note the NBA finals were insanely exciting this last May as well. I wonder if they will see a boost.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see downsizing, primarily due to the ESPN contract, and there's something to be said for survival. The WNBA, after 20 years, is what it is, and it doesn't seem to me it's going away. It's not going to become a rival to the NHL either, but for those of us who remember when there were very few girls playing sports anywhere in the U.S., this is an achievement worth some celebration.

And though there are still many haters, respect for female athletes is significantly higher than it was 25 years ago, and the WNBA has played a role in that as well.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Incremental growth and continued sustainability are the best we can hope for.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I don't see downsizing, primarily due to the ESPN contract, and there's something to be said for survival. The WNBA, after 20 years, is what it is, and it doesn't seem to me it's going away. It's not going to become a rival to the NHL either, but for those of us who remember when there were very few girls playing sports anywhere in the U.S., this is an achievement worth some celebration.

And though there are still many haters, respect for female athletes is significantly higher than it was 25 years ago, and the WNBA has played a role in that as well.

When I said downsizing I meant basically smaller venues that can be run at less cost, especially for teams that don't have NBA affiliates. I didn't mean that teams would fold.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/25/16 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

josephkramer44 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

When I said downsizing I meant basically smaller venues that can be run at less cost, especially for teams that don't have NBA affiliates. I didn't mean that teams would fold.

Thanks for the clarification ...

So the Dallas Wings played in a much smaller arena this year, and I've asked several times what that experience was like – but no one has answered, leading me to believe that none of those fans found their way to RebKell. Whether this says anything important or not, I'm not sure, but I keep hoping someone will check in who went to several Dallas games and can say whether it made sense or not.

I've always felt smaller arenas would be better, but until you try them, you don't really know.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People have been saying that the success of the biggest market teams is best for the league forever. Of course the Sparks winning will be seen as better for the league.

PostPosted: 10/26/16 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Engineers (or is it scientists) have this technique where they take things to their limits to try to better understand them. What if the question is, which is better for the league - 20 years of the Minnesota Lynx winning every championship - or 20 years where 20 different (of the 22 different cities the league has had) teams won a title?

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/26/16 5:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Engineers (or is it scientists) have this technique where they take things to their limits to try to better understand them. What if the question is, which is better for the league - 20 years of the Minnesota Lynx winning every championship - or 20 years where 20 different (of the 22 different cities the league has had) teams won a title?

I would take door number 2, tfan! Laughing The Lynx are great and having great teams help to raise the standard up to a point, but total domination by one team would not be a good look at all (unless it's the Sparks Wink). Seriously, I think that is why the 1 v. 2 match-up was so intriguing and injected excitement into this year's finals. You want a contest where the teams match up nicely and anyone could win. In the past, it essentially was a foregone conclusion that the western conference champ would take it all (15 of the champions have been west coast teams). One of my concerns is how this west coast domination bodes for the league. Would we care if the 3:1 ratio (west v. east champions) continues for the next two decades? Why are these teams so much stronger? How can the east (overall) catch-up?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/26/16 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I reject the premise that it's any "better" for the WNBA for any one team to win the championship than it is for any of the other eleven teams to win.

I mean, are there any teams in the WNBA that it would it be bad for the league if they won a championship?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
tfan

PostPosted: 10/27/16 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I reject the premise that it's any "better" for the WNBA for any one team to win the championship than it is for any of the other eleven teams to win.

I mean, are there any teams in the WNBA that it would it be bad for the league if they won a championship?

It doesn't have to be bad for one team to win, for it to be better if one team wins.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/27/16 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
People have been saying that the success of the biggest market teams is best for the league forever. Of course the Sparks winning will be seen as better for the league.

That's about what I was thinking along with the owner's personal legend. Potentially get more eyes on the product. More notoriety. And in some quarters, more respect.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/27/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

It doesn't have to be bad for one team to win, for it to be better if one team wins.
I then restate the first sentence of my original post.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A competitive and entertaining playoffs and finals is good for the league regardless of who wins to attract new fans imo. Lynx & Sparks had a entertaining finals even in the blowout wins because the losing team made a comeback.

This finals had a couple interesting stories

Would Cp be able win her first title after not making team USA or all team. You also had the whole UConn(Maya Geno) Lady Vols(Cp playing for Pat Summit) that both fans of those colleges were looking it.

Would Lynx be able to match the Houston Comets 4 titles. Wnba fans were also looking to see if the Lynx can repeat since that's the one thing they haven't done yet. I thought it was interesting that they were trying to do it against the last franchise to do it.

Would Nneka be joining LJ and LLL in being a regular season MVP to win a title in the same season.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/27/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
A competitive and entertaining playoffs and finals is good for the league regardless of who wins to attract new fans imo. Lynx & Sparks had a entertaining finals even in the blowout wins because the losing team made a comeback.

Would Cp be able win her first title after not making team USA or all team. You also had the whole UConn(Maya Geno) Lady Vols(Cp playing for Pat Summit) that both fans of those colleges were looking it.

Would Lynx be able to match the Houston Comets 4 titles. Wnba fans were also looking to see if the Lynx can repeat since that's the one thing they haven't done yet. I thought it was interesting that they were trying to do it against the last franchise to do it.

Would Nneka be joining LJ and LLL in being a regular season MVP to win a title in the same season.

You would think, huh? But that's prolly cuz you're already a fan. Those casuals and the ones on the fence are more familiar with the name Magic Johnson than they are with the person that owns the Lynx. (Sorry, the name escapes me). Its something that can be a segue for them into the league.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/28/16 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

You would think, huh? But that's prolly cuz you're already a fan. Those casuals and the ones on the fence are more familiar with the name Magic Johnson than they are with the person that owns the Lynx. (Sorry, the name escapes me). Its something that can be a segue for them into the league.
Having a owner like Magic gives the league respect from a business point of view but it won't matter who the team owner is if the basketball team isn't entertaining to casual or on the fence fans.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/28/16 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

Having a owner like Magic gives the league respect from a business point of view but it won't matter who the team owner is if the basketball team isn't entertaining to casual or on the fence fans.

And that was part of my point from my post that started the thread. It was entertaining. It was exciting. Down to the wire in addition to celebrity ownership.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: