RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3920
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never would have guessed TJJ to LA in a million years. Shocked In retrospect, I suppose it makes sense. Agler did drag Michelle Snow out of mothballs at the end of 2015. He sure does love his veterans.



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 902



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/08/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks officially re-sign Beard.


boom*NNEKA*nneka



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 687
Location: San Pedro, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/08/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Sparks officially re-sign Beard.


Hallelujah!
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14692



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/08/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Sparks officially re-sign Beard.


As expected with Toliver going to Washington.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UK1996



Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 282



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks sign Jamie Weisner, Ify Ibekwe, and Avery Warley-Talbert. I always really liked Weisner's work ethic and hustle. Think she could transition into a PG?
Gray/#4
Beard/Williams/Weisner
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Jackson-Jones/Ibekwe
Ogwumike/Lavender/Warley-Talbert



_________________
Kentucky Wildcats, Sky, & Spurs
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20898



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Sparks sign Jamie Weisner, Ify Ibekwe, and Avery Warley-Talbert. I always really liked Weisner's work ethic and hustle. Think she could transition into a PG?
Gray/#4
Beard/Williams/Weisner
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Jackson-Jones/Ibekwe
Ogwumike/Lavender/Warley-Talbert


Weisner is definitely a hustle player, but she is also definitely not a PG



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55138
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker signs extension

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/two-time-wnba-mvp-candace-parker-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/

Quote:
“I am really excited about Candace wanting to extend her contract,” said Penny Toler, LA Sparks Executive Vice President and General Manager. “It shows her commitment to the organization, the city, and all the fans in LA. She is a huge part of the Sparks success and will be for years to come.”



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20898



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Candace Parker signs extension

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/two-time-wnba-mvp-candace-parker-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/

Quote:
“I am really excited about Candace wanting to extend her contract,” said Penny Toler, LA Sparks Executive Vice President and General Manager. “It shows her commitment to the organization, the city, and all the fans in LA. She is a huge part of the Sparks success and will be for years to come.”


grats to the Sparks and to Candace. I love seeing the face of any franchise want to remain with that team.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20898



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...also in there is that they signed Chelsea Hopkins a backup PG.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
...also in there is that they signed Chelsea Hopkins a backup PG.


BOOYAH!

I'll be expecting finder's fees from LAS, SEA, and a bunch of back-fees from the NYL. Smile

Hopkins will probably have to pray that the #4 pick turns out to be non-PG.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55138
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?


They should have it for next season.



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5979



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?


Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3920
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?


Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.


Maybe both sides were ready to move on. There's a reason why Toliver's nickname is Lil' Mopey. If one party is unhappy, the other side usually is too. This may be something that was years in the making. A championship turned out to be a great way to end the relationship rather than to extend it. I suppose they could have cored Toliver to trade her, but you might also get stuck with an unhappy player. If LA did have a cap squeeze, perhaps all things considered they felt it was less of a hassle to just let her go.



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7366



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?


Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.


Was she happy? She sat out half of 2015 and was clearly on a 1 year contract then. So they cored her to keep her for 2016 and not take the chance she'd walk. She seems to have signed at least a 2 year contract then but by signing that contract while cored it was attached to her for the length of the contract. That means it wasn't available for Toliver but they may have decided that it was more important to have it on Parker.

I am guessing that it was a 2 year contract with the core coming with it. By signing the extension now, I believe the core tag will then be available next off-season.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?


Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.


Maybe both sides were ready to move on. There's a reason why Toliver's nickname is Lil' Mopey. If one party is unhappy, the other side usually is too. This may be something that was years in the making. A championship turned out to be a great way to end the relationship rather than to extend it. I suppose they could have cored Toliver to trade her, but you might also get stuck with an unhappy player. If LA did have a cap squeeze, perhaps all things considered they felt it was less of a hassle to just let her go.


You mean had they had the core to use on Toliver, they could have traded her for something of value. She has enough worth that they could have gotten Hill as fair value in return. Too much of a hassle? That's a loss in assets. The Sparks aren't hurting too bad. They got a gift in Gray last season. This season I guess they're paying it forward.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3920
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?


Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.


Maybe both sides were ready to move on. There's a reason why Toliver's nickname is Lil' Mopey. If one party is unhappy, the other side usually is too. This may be something that was years in the making. A championship turned out to be a great way to end the relationship rather than to extend it. I suppose they could have cored Toliver to trade her, but you might also get stuck with an unhappy player. If LA did have a cap squeeze, perhaps all things considered they felt it was less of a hassle to just let her go.


You mean had they had the core to use on Toliver, they could have traded her for something of value. She has enough worth that they could have gotten Hill as fair value in return. Too much of a hassle? That's a loss in assets. The Sparks aren't hurting too bad. They got a gift in Gray last season. This season I guess they're paying it forward.


Your theory is that Toler screwed up by using the core on Parker so that it wasn't available for Toliver. However, I find it hard to believe that Agler and Magic aren't involved in the decision-making process. It's amusing for fans to poke fun at management for being incompetent -- you in particular seem to love it -- but in this case you're likely accusing three people of being asleep at the wheel, two of whom are highly respected. A basketball team only has 12 players. It's not hard to project when contracts come up and who will be at risk. I assume LA management made a series of rational decisions given the information they had at the time. In actuality, you see "loss in assets' in the men's leagues all the time. It could be addition by subtraction to unload an unhappy player, it might be a maneuver to free up cap space or simply a move to open roster space for a young player. We don't see it as much in the WNBA, but it's really quite common in the men's sports.



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 902



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is the Lisa Leslie of the Sparks now. She started a Spark, she'll retire a Spark.


Libra_Girl



Joined: 12 Jul 2013
Posts: 984



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP will be playing in the celebrity game at NBA AllStar.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't seem to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 02/09/17 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3920
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't see to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.


OK, I did misread Zune's reply as agreement with your post. I apologize for the mistake. However, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that you're more prone to making snarky remarks about coaches and GMs than the average poster.



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14488
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There must have been a reason for the Sparks to core Parker. She probably didnt gave them enough confidence that she would sign an extension anyway.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
...also in there is that they signed Chelsea Hopkins a backup PG.


BOOYAH!

I'll be expecting finder's fees from LAS, SEA, and a bunch of back-fees from the NYL. Smile

Hopkins will probably have to pray that the #4 pick turns out to be non-PG.

Agree. Sad thing is if they pick a point guard, even if Hopkins outperforms and looks better than whoever that is, she'll probably be cut. Teams don't cut their 1st round pick. It just looks bad. I mean I guess I can see the logic in that because the rookie is so young and needs a chance, but it sucks that good players get left out so we never get to see if they are truly not cut out for the W or just not given the proper chance.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55138
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
There must have been a reason for the Sparks to core Parker. She probably didnt gave them enough confidence that she would sign an extension anyway.


You mean selling her house in LA didn't convince them she wanted to stay?



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14488
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
There must have been a reason for the Sparks to core Parker. She probably didnt gave them enough confidence that she would sign an extension anyway.


You mean selling her house in LA didn't convince them she wanted to stay?


Did she buy another one somewhere else? Selling her house could be because of the divorce though



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5979



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't see to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.


OK, I did misread Zune's reply as agreement with your post. I apologize for the mistake. However, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that you're more prone to making snarky remarks about coaches and GMs than the average poster.

Shades is 100% spot on,the coring of Parker cost the sparks an opportunity to get a rotation player back for K.Toliver.However,I'm in agreement with you that sparks management made the safest decision based on the information at hand:

1.Sparks kept getting knocked out in the 1st rd.
2.Parker/Sheldon sell home(House went on the market Nov 2013 and was sold Jan 2014)
3.Parker/Sheldon were having marital problems
4.Parker sat out first half of 2015 season.

I take back my"Bad Job By Penny" comment.I highly doubt Toler/sparks management knew Parker's long-term intentions.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3920
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't see to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.


OK, I did misread Zune's reply as agreement with your post. I apologize for the mistake. However, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that you're more prone to making snarky remarks about coaches and GMs than the average poster.

Shades is 100% spot on,the coring of Parker cost the sparks an opportunity to get a rotation player back for K.Toliver.However,I'm in agreement with you that sparks management made the safest decision based on the information at hand:

1.Sparks kept getting knocked out in the 1st rd.
2.Parker/Sheldon sell home(House went on the market Nov 2013 and was sold Jan 2014)
3.Parker/Sheldon were having marital problems
4.Parker sat out first half of 2015 season.

I take back my"Bad Job By Penny" comment.I highly doubt Toler/sparks management knew Parker's long-term intentions.


I think my main point is getting lost here. Let me clarify. I was simply pointing out that Toliver had a seven-year relationship with the Sparks. A work relationship is like a marriage: it has its ups and downs. Toliver overtly displayed enough unhappiness in the past so that people on this board took to calling her Lil Mopey. It's a two-way street, so I'm sure management felt some displeasure too. When attempting to assess this situation, the history between individual and management has to be considered as well as her value as a player. Also, sports is very dependent on team chemistry, so that has to be factored in too. The coring issue is related but not really my main focus. I made the mistake of just responding to your post without thinking about when or whether a core was available. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. However, I will say that even with a core designation available, players have been allowed to leave. A recent example would be NY allowing Pierson to walk away in 2015. As far as I know, NY had no one cored and the option was available to them. Laimbeer was planning to move Charles from C to PF. Pierson was too small to function as a center and no longer quick enough to play SF. Her role would have been reduced to 7-8 mpg as Tina's backup. I think Liberty management let Pierson walk away as a courtesy. She had been with Laimbeer and Bernert in Detroit, and Plenette had been a good soldier for them for many years. I think they decided to be benign and let Pierson find the best situation for herself without any encumbrances. Maybe the same would have happened with Toliver even if LA had a core available. They say thank you for 7 good years, we have our PG of the future in Gray, lets just part on good terms after a great championship season. It would have been the sports equivalent of an amicable divorce.



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19632
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Maybe the same would have happened with Toliver even if LA had a core available. They say thank you for 7 good years, we have our PG of the future in Gray, lets just part on good terms after a great championship season. It would have been the sports equivalent of an amicable divorce.

This is the same team still sending out qualifying offers to Ha Eun Joo and Emmeline Ndongue... Wink



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3920
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Maybe the same would have happened with Toliver even if LA had a core available. They say thank you for 7 good years, we have our PG of the future in Gray, lets just part on good terms after a great championship season. It would have been the sports equivalent of an amicable divorce.

This is the same team still sending out qualifying offers to Ha Eun Joo and Emmeline Ndongue... Wink


Fair enough. And unlike the men's sports where huge contracts make the cap and salary recovery an incentive to boot players, the WNBA max contract depresses salaries enough so that a good player is usually a bargain. I was just making a point about the importance of relationships as part of the equation. I probably got carried away. Smile



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55138
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/14/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lavender signs extension

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/jantel-lavender-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/



_________________
Come love come, the road lies low
The way is long and hard I know
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/14/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toler locking people up so she doesn't experience a repeat of the Toliver sitch. When does Ogwumike's contract expire?

[edit: last signing one year ago]

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/los-angeles-sparks-re-sign-forward-nneka-ogwumike/



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 7151



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dammit! 'Lil Mopey has officially escaped from the farm. Time for Chelsea to get together with her Dukey allum, Alana, and whip herself into prime time shape. She looked very good this past season: she will look even better when she is more streamlined and energetic, sort of a Nicky Teasley on steroids with better defensive skills and a killer rainbow trey.

I noticed that Alana has officially shrunk back down to a height of 5-feet, 11-inches . . . down a full two inches from her official listing over the last two-three seasons. Let's hear it for some truth in reporting for a change.

We need Ana Dabovic to rebound to better than her 2015 form. Certainly, a return of her long distance sniping will be welcome, With Kristi gone, we need more heavy artillery downtown. The selection of the #4 overall Sparks draft choice should be interesting to say the least.



_________________
Regards,
J A P
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14692



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all the Sparks really need is a back-up PG for Gray & hope Williams comes back 100%. The Sparks are deep!!



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
all the Sparks really need is a back-up PG for Gray & hope Williams comes back 100%. The Sparks are deep!!


Williams is playing overseas, and I suspect they'd like to draft a prominent combo/PG. Williams, Dabovic, and I suppose even Beard can do a little PG backup.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14692



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams at PG shouldn't be an option. Beard & Dabovic, yes. Still, with the #4 I think the Sparks should take a PG if that's the best available.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UK1996



Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 282



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I originally thought SWK would be the best option for LA. I'm leaning more towards Alexis Jones now. She can back up the 1 and 2. I think Jones has potential. Of course LA could draft SWK and draft someone in the 2nd round. Kendall Noble? Allen? Epps? They could probably bring in a cheap option for backup like Goodrich.



_________________
Kentucky Wildcats, Sky, & Spurs
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if the Sparks made room for more than one draft pick. Remember, this is Agler.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14692



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Sparks made room for more than one draft pick. Remember, this is Agler.


Agler typically doesn't like rookies, so I doubt he trades for another pick. If anything, he'll sign some aging PG(i.e. Temeka Johnson).



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
hangtyme24



Joined: 21 May 2006
Posts: 2168



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/15/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Sparks made room for more than one draft pick. Remember, this is Agler.


Agler typically doesn't like rookies, so I doubt he trades for another pick. If anything, he'll sign some aging PG(i.e. Temeka Johnson).


LA has already moved on from T. Johnson. Idk why ppl keep putting her in the mix. If anything Hopkins will be our backup. I think LA will select best available player despite position. Backup SF/PG would be ideal.



_________________
HERE 2 STAY!
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/16/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now Ogwumike is extended

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/wnba-mvp-nneka-ogwumike-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker set to appear on ESPN's "First Take" 10 AM-12 PM ET, no doubt to promote the NBA Celebrity All Star game tonight.



Parker says women sports fans should be supporting women's sports.
http://es.pn/2kGoDAj



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 02/17/17 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16700
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
I noticed that Alana has officially shrunk back down to a height of 5-feet, 11-inches . . . down a full two inches from her official listing over the last two-three seasons. Let's hear it for some truth in reporting for a change.


Alana was always listed as 5-11 while at Duke, IIRC.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14692



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless one of the Euros show up(Dubljevic or Belyakova), this should be their roster.

PG: Gray/Sims
SG: Beard/Williams
SF: Carson/Dabovic
PF: Ogwumike/Jackson-Jones
C: Parker/Lavender
11th: Warley-Talbert, Hopkins or Ibekwe



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY


Last edited by toad455 on 02/18/17 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 7151



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jap wrote:
I noticed that Alana has officially shrunk back down to a height of 5-feet, 11-inches . . . down a full two inches from her official listing over the last two-three seasons. Let's hear it for some truth in reporting for a change.


Alana was always listed as 5-11 while at Duke, IIRC.


I know - I was joking. She has always been 5' 11", but they had her officially listed at 6' 1" when the Sparks moved her to SF a few seasons ago. When they moved her back to guard, she 'shrunk' back down to 5' 11".



_________________
Regards,
J A P
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5979



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks need a 3 point shooter(O'Hea,Quigley)

I still give minny the edge.Phoenix has not yet signed Bonner/Griner.....hard to make a prediction on the mercury.


WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 506



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Sparks need a 3 point shooter(O'Hea,Quigley)


I would love to get Quigley and am hoping her Euroleague teammates, Lav and Gruda will convince her to come to sunny CA! Now, Stickland is also on their team... Any thoughts on her? Is it that she hasn't found the right situation? Why does she seem so inconsequential at times? I thought she played fine and with a lot of heart at Tennessee, but have to admit that I only saw her in a few games during her senior year.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20898



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
jap wrote:
I noticed that Alana has officially shrunk back down to a height of 5-feet, 11-inches . . . down a full two inches from her official listing over the last two-three seasons. Let's hear it for some truth in reporting for a change.


Alana was always listed as 5-11 while at Duke, IIRC.


I know - I was joking. She has always been 5' 11", but they had her officially listed at 6' 1" when the Sparks moved her to SF a few seasons ago. When they moved her back to guard, she 'shrunk' back down to 5' 11".


they say as we age, we shrink... Wink



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14488
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Sparks need a 3 point shooter(O'Hea,Quigley)


I would love to get Quigley and am hoping her Euroleague teammates, Lav and Gruda will convince her to come to sunny CA! Now, Stickland is also on their team... Any thoughts on her? Is it that she hasn't found the right situation? Why does she seem so inconsequential at times? I thought she played fine and with a lot of heart at Tennessee, but have to admit that I only saw her in a few games during her senior year.


Quigley cant play SF and the Sparks already have enough guards IMO (Gray, Sims, Williams, Beard)



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 5979



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/19/17 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Sparks need a 3 point shooter(O'Hea,Quigley)


I would love to get Quigley and am hoping her Euroleague teammates, Lav and Gruda will convince her to come to sunny CA! Now, Stickland is also on their team... Any thoughts on her? Is it that she hasn't found the right situation? Why does she seem so inconsequential at times? I thought she played fine and with a lot of heart at Tennessee, but have to admit that I only saw her in a few games during her senior year.


Quigley cant play SF and the Sparks already have enough guards IMO (Gray, Sims, Williams, Beard)


LA would obviously have to rid themselves of Williams to accommodate Quigley.A four guard rotation of Sims,Gray,Quigley and Beard would be awesome.Beard could play 10-12 minutes per game at SF,especially against teams with undersize Small forwards(sea,Dal,NY).There'd be plenty of minutes to go around.I just don't like the combination of Williams/Sims.Both are high usage players and are very streaky shooting the basketball.Sims will have no problems adapting her game to fit the sparks.She did so when she played for Baylor,and when she played for the US select team last season.I can't say the same about R.Williams.

Stricklen would be a nice pickup.She has great size for a SF,and is a career 35% 3pt shooter.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45091



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Magic Johnson named president of the Lakers



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin