RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 07/28/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like it is the same with Sancho Lyttle. I don't know what the difference is that these players can look so good in Europe but not here.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/28/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Sparks signed center Sandrine Gruda for the remainder of the season

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2017/07/28/los-angeles-sparks-signed-6-foot-4-center-sandrine-gruda-for-the-remainder-of-the-season/

Quote:
“We are looking forward to Sandrine rejoining the team. Her experience in the league will add a boost to our team for the reminder of the season, headed into the WNBA playoffs," said Toler.

Grudas best days are well behind her , i got sick and tired of watching her travel all across the court last season .

Pretty sad for someone who just turned 30

It's crazy because she continues to perform at an all-star level overseas, last time I checked. But we all know around here that W is another story.

Does she though? The last few times I watched her in Europe and in Rio, nothing about her game said still-WNBA-worthy to me. (Disclaimer about small sample size, so I'm happy to be corrected on that)

PostPosted: 07/28/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gruda has pretty consistently been very good overseas. I have no idea what the issue is here in the states. I'm thinking part of it is that she often joins the team late and isn't able to get into a good rhythm. She's strong, a hard worker, a solid defender and good rebounder. She has back to the basket post moves and a funky face up J but in the right spots, she is good there too. She's played with CP essentially the entire time that she has been in the league including last year when they teamed up in Turkey (Fenerbahce) with Lav and Quigley to make a deep run in the Euroleague finals. I truly hope she is able to redeem herself and help the Sparks this season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Chelsea Gray: Off the Bench

https://theplayerstribune.com/chelsea-gray-los-angeles-sparks-wnba/

Quote:
The biggest issue, to be honest, was my weight. See, in college, nearly your entire day is planned out, from sunrise to sunset. You don’t have a lot of free time, even in the off-season. But in the pros, you have so much time to yourself. That was new to me. I had to find ways to fill that time and, unfortunately for me, I filled it with food.

This is such a cute article! And well written too.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gruda: She's being asked to play such a different role than what she's used to, so that also takes some acclimatization. I've always thought she looked like she 'ought' to be better than she shows out here. And also LA has a pretty high standard/expectation when it comes to posts. You step on the floor to give Nneka/Candace a breather and those are big footsteps to fill.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Seems like it is the same with Sancho Lyttle. I don't know what the difference is that these players can look so good in Europe but not here.

The level of competition is much, much lower

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Gruda: She's being asked to play such a different role than what she's used to, so that also takes some acclimatization. I've always thought she looked like she 'ought' to be better than she shows out here. And also LA has a pretty high standard/expectation when it comes to posts. You step on the floor to give Nneka/Candace a breather and those are big footsteps to fill.

Once upon a time people thought Gruda had more potential than Parker

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Once upon a time people thought Gruda had more potential than Parker

Your data base of remembrances is way too big! You'll embarrass us all with our own words.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/29/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agler can barely find minutes for Lavender, and certainly hasn't found minutes for Jackson-Jones, who's been reasonably serviceable when given the occasional minute this season. So it's hard to see Gruda being anything other than a 'break in case of emergency' post, especially once we hit the postseason.

Which is good, considering the last time she did anything useful in the WNBA was 2010.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Agler can barely find minutes for Lavender, and certainly hasn't found minutes for Jackson-Jones, who's been reasonably serviceable when given the occasional minute this season. So it's hard to see Gruda being anything other than a 'break in case of emergency' post, especially once we hit the postseason.

Which is good, considering the last time she did anything useful in the WNBA was 2010.

I think Gruda will be ahead of TJJ after a couple of games. She has played with Parker and Lavender overseas also in that big line-up. So the on the court chemistry is there. It also doesnt hurt that she is good friends with Parker

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/29/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've thought it odd that TJJ would choose to stay and moulder on the bench in LA. I would think there would be other opportunities where she could actually play some minutes.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 07/29/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TJJ is probably only a one year contract. I'm sure she's just happy playing again. She can always opt to go somewhere else next season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alana Beard Finds a Home on the Waves

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/sports/basketball/wnba-finals-alana-beard-sparks.html

Quote:
When Agler first learned Beard was surfing, he sent her an article about how, during the 1996 season, Chicago Bulls center Luc Longley separated his shoulder surfing near where Beard was hanging ten.

“He was like, ‘I’m not telling you what to do,’ ” Beard said, mimicking Agler’s Midwestern accent, “ ‘but take it as you wish.’ ”

PostPosted: 09/29/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Alana Beard Finds a Home on the Waves

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/sports/basketball/wnba-finals-alana-beard-sparks.html

Quote:
When Agler first learned Beard was surfing, he sent her an article about how, during the 1996 season, Chicago Bulls center Luc Longley separated his shoulder surfing near where Beard was hanging ten.

“He was like, ‘I’m not telling you what to do,’ ” Beard said, mimicking Agler’s Midwestern accent, “ ‘but take it as you wish.’ ”

Luuuc!

PostPosted: 09/29/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/29/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It probably actually helps her as a bball player. It's really a whole body workout and helps with balance too.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: