RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myt

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
I would love to see Carson back. Indeed she was critical to LA's success this year and it would be awesome to see her full game back and make anyone who leaves her open PAY!!!

Soooo, apparently both Kristi and Beard are free agents this year. They announced it during the celebration today. I was like, "Noooooooo!!!" The crowd chanted for their return while Brian put both of them on the spot to ask them back. I don't see KT leaving but I do wonder about Beard because of her tenure in the league (13 years). I really don't want her retire because I think we all recognize that she was important both on and off the court, but after finally getting a ring, I could definitely understand. I get that it was a grind for her to get healthy again (when the docs said she wouldn't) and I'm suspect she is considering whether the process is something she feels she wants to continue. As Brian said, I hope she will make it 14 years. We shall see. Also, I didn't know this but CP essentially recruited KT. KT was playing for Chicago but didn't get in the game against LA so when the players were going through and high fiving at the end, CP said that LA would love to have her and the seed was planted! Who knew?!! Laughing

Thanks for the celebration summary Very Happy

Although it was lucky 13 for AB, I too hope she and KT come back to defend their championship. They have earned the chance to do so Cool

Lil Mopey has a lot to smile about so I hope she stays! Razz

Toler has got work to do! Cool

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Would love to see Cambage in L.A. somehow. What would it take for the Sparks and the Wings to make a blockbuster trade for this to happen

if she who will not be namedd be willing to come off the bench, sure. but, i would not give up the house for her.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I've thought all year that Dabovic should be playing SF. Maybe they can work her in there instead.

She doesn't have a good enough handle to play PG...

I dont agree. She did fine last season with the Sparks at the point and overseas and on the Serbian team. But to me she looked insecure in the few minutes that she got this season and that's my whole point with her. Last season when she got consistent minutes from Agler she played with confidence and really worked well with players and certainly with Parker.
She needs consistency and she didnt have that this season.

But the advantage of her is that she can play all 3 perimeter positions but to me it looked like Agler didnt want any of that. Almost every time she and Gray were together on the floor he had Dabovic running the point. Pointing to her to bring the ball up.

And teams learned that if you double team her, she coughs up the ball...I agree if they don't double her on the way up the court, she does ok in setting up and running the team. But that's a big if. The scouting reports get a whiff of blood and they go for it.

Why can teams double her and leave others that open? Because Toliver is often on the bench when she is in (this was not often the case last season) and they dont have to worry about Beard/Carson and Gray shooting from the perimeter.

Quote:
Ana Dabovic- cannot shoot, nor dribble under pressure...

She is probably one of the Sparks best shooters (after Toliver) She is the reason that Serbia won a bronze medal at the olympics and why they won the European championship Laughing She scored 24 pts against USA a couple years ago. Yes she is worthless Rolling Eyes

I would have her with the Storm anyday of the week..

Sure, you want to take that 37% FG, and 16% 3PT% go right ahead.... Laughing
Maybe, she warms up as the game goes on?

SportzJunky

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starting: Gray (PG), Toliver (SG), Beard (SF) Nneka, Parker
Bench: PG (Draft Pick), Williams (SG), Carson (SF), Gruda, Lavendar, Tolo

There are some good PGs coming out this year with YOUTH and potential. I think because LA only has one true PG they should go after a PG first (a young one will have time to mature and not feel the pressure to make an instant impact because Gray is there) and then another SF. With Tolo back and Lavendar, they have the size when they need it for bigger Centers so I would not be pressed to get another Center. When Brian had to put in Dabovic at the Point, it was painful to watch. Besides Gray, LA plays PG by committee, why do that when they can draft another legit PG? One thing teams need to keep in mind is that experience is great but all teams need youth (not just youth but youth with Potential). LA is in a great spot right now because they have a high pick with no need to immediate impact. This is a prime recipe for recruiting talented youth for the future.

Draft PGs: Banham, Lindsay Allen, Alexis Jones, Lexi Brown (possibly)

I can see all of these guards making a difference on a team one day.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham would be great if she was still in college.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/25/16 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I've thought all year that Dabovic should be playing SF. Maybe they can work her in there instead.

She doesn't have a good enough handle to play PG...

I dont agree. She did fine last season with the Sparks at the point and overseas and on the Serbian team. But to me she looked insecure in the few minutes that she got this season and that's my whole point with her. Last season when she got consistent minutes from Agler she played with confidence and really worked well with players and certainly with Parker.
She needs consistency and she didnt have that this season.

But the advantage of her is that she can play all 3 perimeter positions but to me it looked like Agler didnt want any of that. Almost every time she and Gray were together on the floor he had Dabovic running the point. Pointing to her to bring the ball up.

And teams learned that if you double team her, she coughs up the ball...I agree if they don't double her on the way up the court, she does ok in setting up and running the team. But that's a big if. The scouting reports get a whiff of blood and they go for it.

Why can teams double her and leave others that open? Because Toliver is often on the bench when she is in (this was not often the case last season) and they dont have to worry about Beard/Carson and Gray shooting from the perimeter.

Quote:
Ana Dabovic- cannot shoot, nor dribble under pressure...

She is probably one of the Sparks best shooters (after Toliver) She is the reason that Serbia won a bronze medal at the olympics and why they won the European championship Laughing She scored 24 pts against USA a couple years ago. Yes she is worthless Rolling Eyes

I would have her with the Storm anyday of the week..

Sure, you want to take that 37% FG, and 16% 3PT% go right ahead.... Laughing
Maybe, she warms up as the game goes on?

10 minutes per game is not a lot of minutes especially for the kind of player that she is

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
I would love to see Carson back. Indeed she was critical to LA's success this year and it would be awesome to see her full game back and make anyone who leaves her open PAY!!!

Soooo, apparently both Kristi and Beard are free agents this year. They announced it during the celebration today. I was like, "Noooooooo!!!" The crowd chanted for their return while Brian put both of them on the spot to ask them back. I don't see KT leaving but I do wonder about Beard because of her tenure in the league (13 years). I really don't want her retire because I think we all recognize that she was important both on and off the court, but after finally getting a ring, I could definitely understand. I get that it was a grind for her to get healthy again (when the docs said she wouldn't) and I'm suspect she is considering whether the process is something she feels she wants to continue. As Brian said, I hope she will make it 14 years. We shall see. Also, I didn't know this but CP essentially recruited KT. KT was playing for Chicago but didn't get in the game against LA so when the players were going through and high fiving at the end, CP said that LA would love to have her and the seed was planted! Who knew?!! Laughing

Thanks for the celebration summary Very Happy

Although it was lucky 13 for AB, I too hope she and KT come back to defend their championship. They have earned the chance to do so Cool

Lil Mopey has a lot to smile about so I hope she stays! Razz

Toler has got work to do! Cool

You're welcome! I agree! Toler has her work cut out for her.

FYI, this account has some of the celebration footage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtLLK53_dlhQ2ASDvv8HDcQ

myt

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

FYI, this account has some of the celebration footage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtLLK53_dlhQ2ASDvv8HDcQ

Thanks so much! Cool

PostPosted: 10/26/16 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Thanks so much! Cool

Here is another!: http://womenshoopsworld.com/2016/10/25/sparks-celebrate-2016-championship-in-style/

Btw, so the word is that Angel and Nneka will be playing together in Russia. Let me just say that I like what Atlanta is starting to build and it will be interesting to what moves they make in the off season, but I know Angel wants her ring (of course, he presence is no guarantee). She truly is one of the game's most athletic players and that J has been looking good as of late. I know the 'ship hunting is unpopular but it is definitely part of sports..Would we want to see Angel suit up for LA?

myt

PostPosted: 10/26/16 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
myt wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Thanks so much! Cool

Here is another!: http://womenshoopsworld.com/2016/10/25/sparks-celebrate-2016-championship-in-style/

Btw, so the word is that Angel and Nneka will be playing together in Russia. Let me just say that I like what Atlanta is starting to build and it will be interesting to what moves they make in the off season, but I know Angel wants her ring (of course, he presence is no guarantee). She truly is one of the game's most athletic players and that J has been looking good as of late. I know the 'ship hunting is unpopular but it is definitely part of sports..Would we want to see Angel suit up for LA?

Thanks for the link Very Happy

With regards to Angel, it really depends on the Sparks resigning KT & AB.

I think Richyyy can share if the Sparks have the cap to even consider making the move.

PostPosted: 10/27/16 5:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
myt wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Thanks so much! Cool

Thanks for the link Very Happy

With regards to Angel, it really depends on the Sparks resigning KT & AB.

I think Richyyy can share if the Sparks have the cap to even consider making the move.

I hear you. I'm thinking (well at least hoping) KT will be back but the Angel idea was to soften the blow of AB retiring. I really, REALLLLLY hope AB comes back and know it would be pretty hard to get Angel because she IS Atlanta bball. We shall see!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/27/16 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:

LA have so many free agents and unknowns that it's hard to put a number on exactly what they could do. And obviously, if they were theoretically acquiring someone like McCoughtry, there'd probably be significant assets going back the other way.

PostPosted: 10/27/16 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

The Dark Angel in the Land of LaLa? Does Angel still have her invisible friend, Lori Ann, or has married life cured that psychosis? Wink

Can we handle Angel's salary with our salary cap, . . . along with that of Candace, Nneka, Kristi, Jantel, Alana, and Essence, or will somebody (or somebodies) have to leave? We really need some rookies and solid role players to keep the salary cap in check.

I know you are proposing Angel as a replacement for a possibly departing Alana. Although Angel racks up a good number of steals, she isn't quite the defender Alana is. However, she is a primetime offensive punch! and will cost mucho dinero!!! Angel will have to buy into Brian's program, but she has great respect for Candace and should follow CP3's lead.

Do we get to steal Tiffany Hayes or Meighan Simmons too? Meighan is now carrying 140 pounds!?! Meighan has been eating her Wheaties!!!

Last edited by jap on 10/30/16 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/27/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All this McCoughtry and Cambage talk is odd to me. You finally find a championship formula and now you want to mess with it. The Sparks are going to be even stronger next year without doing anything really. Things might level out slightly with that loss of hunger that will occur.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/27/16 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

The Dark Angel in the Land of LaLa? Does Angel still have her invisible friend, Lori Ann, or has married life cured that psychosis? Wink

Can we handle Angel's salary with our salary cap, . . . along with that of Candace, Nneka, Kristi, Jantel, Alana, and Essence, or will somebody (or somebodies) have to leave? We really need some rookies and solid role players to keep the salary cap in check.

I know you are proposing Angel as a replacement for a possibly departing Alana. Although Angel racks up a good number of steals, she isn';t quite the defender Alana is. However, she is a primetime offensive punch! and will cost mucho dinero!!! Angel will have top buy into Brian's program, but she has great respect for Candace and should follow her lead.

Do we get to steal Tiffany Hayes or Meighan Simmons too? Meighan is now 140 pounds!?! Meighan has been eating her Wheaties!!!

Laughing To this whole thing!! I'm thinking Lori Ann is chillin' these days and I hear you about the defense vs. offense challenge with her. I definitely want see Meighan find a good fit and fully get her game going, but I would love for them to get Tiph! She slashes (and falls) like nobody else! Seriously, I do like the idea of a guard who aggressively gets to the bucket and can hit the three. Hopefully Williams is healthy and ready to fill that role.

Shades, I really don't want to mess with the roster at all but Beard retiring may be a real possibility, you know? I love her leadership and the chemistry the team built this year. I only want it to get better and stronger and don't know how well these players will fit personality wise or if they will buy in to the system... fine maybe I'll stop speculating and hope for the best *sigh* Laughing

Nice interview: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17893438

View of a Championship season:
http://womenshoopsworld.com/2016/10/27/view-of-a-championship-season-from-behind-the-voice-recorder/#comment-6054

zune69

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would not be shocked if Agler acquired O'Hea or Stricklen this offseason

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/16 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

They both fall in the category of not worth the money the are supposed to be making but may be worthwhile if they accept the vet minimum or thereabouts.

Why invest money in players he ultimately won't use. He's as bad if not worse than Reeve. At least Reeve is learning about minute management.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/28/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

They both fall in the category of not worth the money the are supposed to be making but may be worthwhile if they accept the vet minimum or thereabouts.

Why invest money in players he ultimately won't use. He's as bad if not worse than Reeve. At least Reeve is learning about minute management.

Both players have a history with Agler.Stricklen shot 38% from 3 in her last season with seattle.O'Hea shot 40% from 3 in her only season playing for Agler.A catch and shoot 3 point specialist would really make LA's offense more potent than it already is.Carson nearly cost them the championship with all of the bricks she was throwing up at the basket.O'Hea/Stricklen would also provide good size/length at the SF position.

But as you pointed out,only for a salary in the vet minimum range.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/16 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Stricklen is a reminder of a bad time for Agler.

He traded Cash (when she was still useful and part of the championship formula) & Willingham for CHI's second round pick in 2012. Do you think he did that because he was super eager to get Stricklen? Only if you're super naive.

You see, Agler figured out that all three of the Three to See were eligible to enter the draft early, so the odds were good that he'd have an elite player headed his way with that #2 pick. He rolled the dice and they came up snake-eyes. What is Stricklen, maybe a half a step above Liston with the #2 pick? He lost and he lost big time. Hmm, he could have had Glory Johnson or Shenise Johnson, but I'm sure your love of Agler will shine a good light on that misstep. But yeah, I'm sure Agler just loves Stricklen. He should trade #4 in 2017 or his first rounder in 2018 for that good luck charm. Smile

I think he'll continue to scout and recruit foreign players to fill in the roster.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/28/16 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@ shades,

Agler doesn't get a total pass from me.He's made some questionable trades going back to his coaching days in minnesota(Betty Lennox),and don't get me started on the long list of forgettable draft picks(Hawkins,Poppens).But that hasn't stopped him from becoming an elite head coach.Agler is a great teacher of the game.He taught Katie Smith how to play defense,helped turn A.Clark into a solid rotation player,and built up Gray's confidence to the point where she was outplaying L.Whalen in the wnba finals.Agler does a great job of maximizing his talent(made playoffs without Bird & Jackson).Another thing I love about Agler is that he holds his star players accountable,unlike some head coaches.

I also want to acknowledge Penny Toler.I've crucified her over the years.So it's only fair that I give Penny her props for winning her 3rd championship as the sparks General Manager.Trading Phillips put LA in position to acquire C.Gray.Much respect to Toler.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/31/16 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice CP interview with JJ Redick: https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/a53ac6c7-0d10-436e-b735-7fcd7c017877

#ShoutOutToTipHayes

myt

PostPosted: 10/31/16 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Nice CP interview with JJ Redick: https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/a53ac6c7-0d10-436e-b735-7fcd7c017877

#ShoutOutToTipHayes

This was a really good interview. Thank you for sharing! Cool

PostPosted: 10/31/16 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
@ shades,

I also want to acknowledge Penny Toler.I've crucified her over the years.So it's only fair that I give Penny her props for winning her 3rd championship as the sparks General Manager.Trading Phillips put LA in position to acquire C.Gray.Much respect to Toler.

X _________________ x

There were many seasons we begged Toler to get the right pieces. She got it done! Cool

No pressure but Now its time to reload and repeat Razz

PostPosted: 11/05/16 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Picking up where they left off:

Nneka: https://twitter.com/CoachRookie/status/794277816347062272

Lav: https://twitter.com/WNBAOverseas/status/794220323642150912

Gruda: https://twitter.com/WNBAOverseas/status/794219283467341824

Hopefully, we can get Gruda more integrated next season. Her and Lav should bring back some nice high-low chemistry!

jap

PostPosted: 11/06/16 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
zune69 wrote:
@ shades,

X _________________ x

There were many seasons we begged Toler to get the right pieces. She got it done! Cool

No pressure but Now its time to reload and repeat Razz

Penny tends to get whoever her coaches suggest she gets. So her choices tend to reflect her coaches talent appraisal skills. Brian can recognize talent, especially when it has already translated to the professional ranks. For example, he sees Chelsea as a young Sue Bird. Together Brian & Penny should keep the U.S.S. Sparks constantly renovated and in first class shape.

Last edited by jap on 11/20/16 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 3 of 21

Jump to: