RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/01/17 10:39 am    ::: Encouraging Players to Plan for After the Games Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/business/retirement/encouraging-players-to-plan-for-after-the-games.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Quote:
Now, nearly 20 years later, Ms. Beard, who will soon begin what she said will be her last season in the W.N.B.A., is preparing for life after basketball.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/01/17 10:44 am    ::: Re: Encouraging Players to Plan for After the Games Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/business/retirement/encouraging-players-to-plan-for-after-the-games.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Quote:
Now, nearly 20 years later, Ms. Beard, who will soon begin what she said will be her last season in the W.N.B.A., is preparing for life after basketball.

Awe so sad to hear players retiring. I remember young rookie AB coming in the league with DT in 04. Man Time flies , best of wishes AB . Glad i can cheer you on 1 last season . When DT Retires i think im going to cry Embarassed

PostPosted: 03/01/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beard is retiring, too! Ugh, I feel so old now. I remember watching the likes of Beard, Cash, Kara Lawson, etc. is college thinking they're the next great crop of WNBA players. Now they're all retiring. Only a matter of time before Bird, Taurasi, Pondexter, Whalen, Augustus, etc. announce their retirements.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/01/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Beard is retiring, too! Ugh, I feel so old now. I remember watching the likes of Beard, Cash, Kara Lawson, etc. is college thinking they're the next great crop of WNBA players. Now they're all retiring. Only a matter of time before Bird, Taurasi, Pondexter, Whalen, Augustus, etc. announce their retirements.

No toad dont make me get emotional i have it made up in my mind that players like DT , Birdy Cappie CP Seimone Maya Whalen Mone will all player forever lol

PostPosted: 03/01/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

No toad dont make me get emotional i have it made up in my mind that players like DT , Birdy Cappie CP Seimone Maya Whalen Mone will all player forever lol

PostPosted: 03/01/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So sad when players retire. Still wish Lisa was playing. Gonna enjoy one more season of AB, grateful for that. So happy she got her ring.

jap

PostPosted: 03/01/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
So sad when players retire. Still wish Lisa was playing. Gonna enjoy one more season of AB, grateful for that. So happy she got her ring.

Time for an encore performance from Alana and her crew!!! Very Happy

Last edited by jap on 04/03/17 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/01/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes yes.

stever

PostPosted: 03/13/17 1:43 pm    ::: Sparks Sign Mikaela Ruef to Training Camp Contract Reply Reply with quote

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/los-angeles-sparks-sign-mikaela-ruef-to-training-camp-contract/

Quote:
“Mikaela is a talented young post player that can stretch the defense,” said Penny Toler, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Sparks. “She has continued to improve her skills overseas every year and I’m looking forward to seeing her in training camp.”

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:44 am    ::: Re: Sparks Sign Mikaela Ruef to Training Camp Contract Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://sparks.wnba.com/news/los-angeles-sparks-sign-mikaela-ruef-to-training-camp-contract/

Quote:
“Mikaela is a talented young post player that can stretch the defense,” said Penny Toler, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Sparks. “She has continued to improve her skills overseas every year and I’m looking forward to seeing her in training camp.”

I wonder if Launceston was expecting her this season? The balance of power could be shifting on Tasmania. Just kidding, I'm not even sure Hobart can field an entire team right now.
boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 03/16/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:

Completely agree! I hated a few months ago when there was anxiety about Beard retiring. At least now we know in advance this will be her last season so we can really appreciate her this last year. One more ring for Beard! Smile
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/16/17 10:55 pm    ::: Re: Sparks Sign Mikaela Ruef to Training Camp Contract Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

I wonder if Launceston was expecting her this season? The balance of power could be shifting on Tasmania. Just kidding, I'm not even sure Hobart can field an entire team right now.

To answer my own question, yes they were. I assume that will just head home and not play in Tasmania beforehand. Now they are trying to decide if they want to sign someone before the season or wait a few months for WNBA camp cuts.
stever

PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks have hired Bobbie Kelsey as an asst. to Agler.

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/bobbie-kelsey-hired-los-angeles-sparks-assistant-coach/

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Sparks have hired Bobbie Kelsey as an asst. to Agler.

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/bobbie-kelsey-hired-los-angeles-sparks-assistant-coach/

She's a nice human being. We will see if the W works out better for her than the HC gig did in college.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/17 2:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“We are excited to add Bobbie to our coaching staff. She is an excellent coach who is very passionate about the game,” said Brian Agler, LA Sparks Head Coach. “She will be responsible for our preparation for competition and will be engaged in our practice setting. Bobbie will get up to speed quickly on the WNBA, how we play and practice and she will fit in perfectly to our culture.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uoLHxkKtJZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can see it now...... Wink
"Candace Parker, get into to the gym! Eh, don't you give me attitude! Get your Candi-ass into the gym!"

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
“We are excited to add Bobbie to our coaching staff. She is an excellent coach who is very passionate about the game,” said Brian Agler, LA Sparks Head Coach. “She will be responsible for our preparation for competition and will be engaged in our practice setting. Bobbie will get up to speed quickly on the WNBA, how we play and practice and she will fit in perfectly to our culture.”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uoLHxkKtJZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can see it now...... Wink
"Candace Parker, get into to the gym! Eh, don't you give me attitude! Get your Candi-ass into the gym!"

OMG this video is such a Classic !!!

PostPosted: 04/04/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love it, go Bobbie, she won't take any crap from prima donnas.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laugh Factory Partners With 2016 WNBA Champions LA Sparks

https://lasentinel.net/laugh-factory-partners-with-2016-wnba-champions-la-sparks.html

Quote:
Both organizations will allow admission to their events with a ticket stub from the other organization’s 2017 past events. The Laugh Factory will be producing in-game content for the Sparks and fans will be seeing comedians in attendance throughout the 2017 season. The Sparks will also host a charity comedian’s basketball game at the Staples Center, tentatively scheduled for April 22, which will be broadcast live and on social media. The game will feature some of the biggest names in comedy.

PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you think its feasible for the Sparks to trade the #11 pick for say maybe a backup seasoned vet that can come off the bench at the 3 position and be a knockdown shooter?

Scenarios

1. Connecticut get #11 pick; Los Angeles get Shekinna Stricklen?
2. Dallas get the #11 pick; Los Angeles get Jordan Hooper?
3. Seattle get the #11 pick: Los Angeles get Jenna O'Hea?

jap

PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Do you think its feasible for the Sparks to trade the #11 pick for say maybe a backup seasoned vet that can come off the bench at the 3 position and be a knockdown shooter?

Scenarios

Ana Dabovic may very well end up being that backup 3 role player. However, we can use someone with better defensive skills than Ana who can hit from downtown and be developed into a starter eventually.

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think the Sparks need a consistent three point shooter. That's the only thing really missing off their roster. Unless they draft Karlie Samuelson #35 overall. But they got some good defensive perimeter players with Beard, Carson, and Sims. They really need a shooter and I didn't see Dabovic name on the roster

basketballologist

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see Agler trading for an experienced player and going with 11 players instead of taking a rookie contract.

Starters
G-Sims
G-Beard
G-Carson
F-Ogwumike
F-Parker

Reserves
6-Lavender
7-Gray
8-Williams
9-Jackson-Jones
10-Warley-Talbert
11-The shooter we get for the #11 pick

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Scenarios

Ana Dabovic may very well end up being that backup 3 role player. However, we can use someone with better defensive skills than Ana who can hit from downtown and be developed into a starter eventually.

You're right, Dabo is nowhere to be found on the roster. I wonder if she is coming over late, or upset with a decrease in playing time. Either way I think we need a 3-point shooter as well. Alexis Prince did shoot 41% last year, and at 6'2 I could see why she is projected as a late first, early second round selection. I haven't watched too many Baylor games, but Prince never really stood out to me. If Penny keeps the pick expect a head scratcher lol. Jk. I'd trade #11 for O'Hea or Quigley, but I doubt either one would be attainable. I'm not sold on Williams either but I don't think she'd have much trade value after the injury. If anyone can get Williams and Gray playing to their potential it's Coach Agler.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your not going to get O'Hea for the 11th pick..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
basketballologist

PostPosted: 04/11/17 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would be so nice to see Sydney Wiese drop all the way to #11.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 11 of 21

Jump to: