RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never would have guessed TJJ to LA in a million years. Shocked In retrospect, I suppose it makes sense. Agler did drag Michelle Snow out of mothballs at the end of 2015. He sure does love his veterans.

PostPosted: 02/08/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks officially re-sign Beard.

boom*NNEKA*nneka

PostPosted: 02/08/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

Hallelujah!
toad455

PostPosted: 02/08/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

As expected with Toliver going to Washington.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UK1996

PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks sign Jamie Weisner, Ify Ibekwe, and Avery Warley-Talbert. I always really liked Weisner's work ethic and hustle. Think she could transition into a PG?
Gray/#4
Beard/Williams/Weisner
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Jackson-Jones/Ibekwe
Ogwumike/Lavender/Warley-Talbert

PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Sparks sign Jamie Weisner, Ify Ibekwe, and Avery Warley-Talbert. I always really liked Weisner's work ethic and hustle. Think she could transition into a PG?
Gray/#4
Beard/Williams/Weisner
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Jackson-Jones/Ibekwe
Ogwumike/Lavender/Warley-Talbert

Weisner is definitely a hustle player, but she is also definitely not a PG

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker signs extension

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/two-time-wnba-mvp-candace-parker-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/

Quote:
“I am really excited about Candace wanting to extend her contract,” said Penny Toler, LA Sparks Executive Vice President and General Manager. “It shows her commitment to the organization, the city, and all the fans in LA. She is a huge part of the Sparks success and will be for years to come.”

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Candace Parker signs extension

http://sparks.wnba.com/news/two-time-wnba-mvp-candace-parker-extends-contract-los-angeles-sparks/

Quote:
“I am really excited about Candace wanting to extend her contract,” said Penny Toler, LA Sparks Executive Vice President and General Manager. “It shows her commitment to the organization, the city, and all the fans in LA. She is a huge part of the Sparks success and will be for years to come.”

grats to the Sparks and to Candace. I love seeing the face of any franchise want to remain with that team.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...also in there is that they signed Chelsea Hopkins a backup PG.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

BOOYAH!

I'll be expecting finder's fees from LAS, SEA, and a bunch of back-fees from the NYL. Smile

Hopkins will probably have to pray that the #4 pick turns out to be non-PG.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you think about it, needing to core Parker (I believe she was cored anyway) was the reason Toliver was able to escape the team she won a championship with. Does this multi-year extension allow the Sparks to get their core designation back?

They should have it for next season.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/09/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yeah....this makes no sense.Why would the sparks core Parker if she was happy in LA,and showed no interest in playing for another team ? Bad job by Penny,unless she knows something we don't.

Maybe both sides were ready to move on. There's a reason why Toliver's nickname is Lil' Mopey. If one party is unhappy, the other side usually is too. This may be something that was years in the making. A championship turned out to be a great way to end the relationship rather than to extend it. I suppose they could have cored Toliver to trade her, but you might also get stuck with an unhappy player. If LA did have a cap squeeze, perhaps all things considered they felt it was less of a hassle to just let her go.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Was she happy? She sat out half of 2015 and was clearly on a 1 year contract then. So they cored her to keep her for 2016 and not take the chance she'd walk. She seems to have signed at least a 2 year contract then but by signing that contract while cored it was attached to her for the length of the contract. That means it wasn't available for Toliver but they may have decided that it was more important to have it on Parker.

I am guessing that it was a 2 year contract with the core coming with it. By signing the extension now, I believe the core tag will then be available next off-season.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Maybe both sides were ready to move on. There's a reason why Toliver's nickname is Lil' Mopey. If one party is unhappy, the other side usually is too. This may be something that was years in the making. A championship turned out to be a great way to end the relationship rather than to extend it. I suppose they could have cored Toliver to trade her, but you might also get stuck with an unhappy player. If LA did have a cap squeeze, perhaps all things considered they felt it was less of a hassle to just let her go.

You mean had they had the core to use on Toliver, they could have traded her for something of value. She has enough worth that they could have gotten Hill as fair value in return. Too much of a hassle? That's a loss in assets. The Sparks aren't hurting too bad. They got a gift in Gray last season. This season I guess they're paying it forward.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You mean had they had the core to use on Toliver, they could have traded her for something of value. She has enough worth that they could have gotten Hill as fair value in return. Too much of a hassle? That's a loss in assets. The Sparks aren't hurting too bad. They got a gift in Gray last season. This season I guess they're paying it forward.

Your theory is that Toler screwed up by using the core on Parker so that it wasn't available for Toliver. However, I find it hard to believe that Agler and Magic aren't involved in the decision-making process. It's amusing for fans to poke fun at management for being incompetent -- you in particular seem to love it -- but in this case you're likely accusing three people of being asleep at the wheel, two of whom are highly respected. A basketball team only has 12 players. It's not hard to project when contracts come up and who will be at risk. I assume LA management made a series of rational decisions given the information they had at the time. In actuality, you see "loss in assets' in the men's leagues all the time. It could be addition by subtraction to unload an unhappy player, it might be a maneuver to free up cap space or simply a move to open roster space for a young player. We don't see it as much in the WNBA, but it's really quite common in the men's sports.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is the Lisa Leslie of the Sparks now. She started a Spark, she'll retire a Spark.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP will be playing in the celebrity game at NBA AllStar.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't seem to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.

Last edited by Shades on 02/09/17 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/09/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Again with the personal snipe, Root. You can't see to have a discussion without it unless somebody totally buys into everything you say. I never said Toler screwed up. Your assumption, or maybe you confused zune's post for mine. I suspect an apology will be forthcoming. If Parker needed to be cored, she needed to be cored. She's the most valuable asset that you can't risk losing. But by requiring to be cored instead of signing a longterm deal, Parker hurts her own team by letting assets slip away. For instance, if Sue Bird required her team to core her, then they can't core Langhorne. If Whalen or Augustus required to be cored, then they wouldn't be able to core flighty Fowles. And so on.... Therefore if you inferred any slighting, it should have been to Parker herself.

But I understand Parker may not have not been happy a couple years ago with the frustration on not getting the right coach and not winning a championship and whatnot. And now she's probably in her happy place. I'll just file it under, you hurt team but it's understandable.

OK, I did misread Zune's reply as agreement with your post. I apologize for the mistake. However, I don't think it's inaccurate to say that you're more prone to making snarky remarks about coaches and GMs than the average poster.

PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There must have been a reason for the Sparks to core Parker. She probably didnt gave them enough confidence that she would sign an extension anyway.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 02/10/17 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

BOOYAH!

I'll be expecting finder's fees from LAS, SEA, and a bunch of back-fees from the NYL. Smile

Hopkins will probably have to pray that the #4 pick turns out to be non-PG.

Agree. Sad thing is if they pick a point guard, even if Hopkins outperforms and looks better than whoever that is, she'll probably be cut. Teams don't cut their 1st round pick. It just looks bad. I mean I guess I can see the logic in that because the rookie is so young and needs a chance, but it sucks that good players get left out so we never get to see if they are truly not cut out for the W or just not given the proper chance.

PostPosted: 02/10/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
There must have been a reason for the Sparks to core Parker. She probably didnt gave them enough confidence that she would sign an extension anyway.

You mean selling her house in LA didn't convince them she wanted to stay?

PostPosted: 02/10/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

You mean selling her house in LA didn't convince them she wanted to stay?

Did she buy another one somewhere else? Selling her house could be because of the divorce though

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: