RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
basketballologist

PostPosted: 10/21/16 7:48 am    ::: Los Angeles Sparks 2017 Reply Reply with quote

..... Only get better. Deeper and more versatile. #scary. #Back2Back

Next season roster
Alana Beard
Essence Carson
Ana Dabovic
Chelsea Gray
Sandrine Gruda
Jantel Lavender
Nneka Ogwumike
Candace Parker
Kristi Toliver
Marianna Tolo
Victoria Vivians
Riquna Williams

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/16 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are some big 'ifs' involved. On paper they look pretty good, though this year's lineup has been a kinda unusual mix that somehow managed to put it together. Adding another athletic scorer and a big who can play minutes should be a positive thing if they can keep their defensive intensity.

Anyway it's a year away and several teams will be improved next year. Way too early to count your chickens.

- Amanda Gorman
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 10/21/16 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver made a 3-point shot at the end of the game that I still shake my head at and do not know how she made the shot. LA is a very good and deep team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/21/16 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also the ability to suspend the injured Williams opened up a max salary slot. Assuming they use the pick rather than trading it for yet another veteran, that should give them a usable player on a cheap-ish salary, but otherwise things could be a little more complicated cap-wise. And I'd expect the bench to be more American next year. The reserves seemed to be enjoying themselves, but those are experienced, talented, veteran players. Spending the summer in LA getting paid might be nice for a while, but I'm not sure I'd want to come back again to sit on my ass all season long.

Plus who knows how much longer Parker will choose to show up. She's already skipped half a season just to rest.

PostPosted: 10/21/16 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey basketballologist, can you edit your topic title to read
"Los Angeles Sparks 2017"

I'm guessing an admin might have to help you with this. We need the topic anyway, and yours was the perfect start.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Plus who knows how much longer Parker will choose to show up. She's already skipped half a season just to rest.

I was under the impression she was done playing overseas and wouldn't need the rest. But she could probably pull down a decent contract in China.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/21/16 4:29 pm    ::: Re: Sparks will.... Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
..... Only get better. Deeper and more versatile. #scary. #Back2Back

Next season roster
Alana Beard
Essence Carson
Ana Dabovic
Chelsea Gray
Sandrine Gruda
Jantel Lavender
Nneka Ogwumike
Candace Parker
Kristi Toliver
Marianna Tolo
Victoria Vivians
Riquna Williams

Will Alana Beard have another (healthy) season like this? Which Carson will show up or Will she do a Coleman and revert back to shooting badly from the floor?? Now with a ring will Lavender want more then bench minutes or will she stay?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would guess Lav will go, there were times that group played better with Parker on the bench so why would she not want to be a starter. Unless the trade parker Cool

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/21/16 6:22 pm    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks 2017 Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

Kristi Toliver
Marianna Tolo
Victoria Vivians
Riquna Williams

Is this the Victoria Vivians from Miss St?

I believe she's only junior. How is this going to happen for next summer?

Is she eligible by age? Is there an indication she's leaving school early?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/16 6:28 pm    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks 2017 Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Kristi Toliver
Marianna Tolo
Victoria Vivians
Riquna Williams

Is this the Victoria Vivians from Miss St?

I believe she's only junior. How is this going to happen for next summer?

Is she eligible by age? Is there an indication she's leaving school early?

She was even eligible for the last draft

toad455

PostPosted: 10/21/16 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should add Tolo plus their draft pick. The Sparks should be deep next season. I just wonder out of their 5 Euros, how many will want to return?

PG: Toliver/Gray
SG: Beard/Dabovic/Williams
SF: Carson/draft pick
PF: Parker/Gruda?
C: Ogwumike/Lavender/Tolo

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/16 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
They should add Tolo plus their draft pick. The Sparks should be deep next season. I just wonder out of their 5 Euros, how many will want to return?

SG: Beard/Dabovic

you don't think Williams is on this team?

nm - I see you remembered....

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 10/21/16 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Yes, Williams will be on the team next season. I wonder if Dabovic returns with Williams on the team or if she tries to go somewhere else.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/16 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've thought all year that Dabovic should be playing SF. Maybe they can work her in there instead.

She doesn't have a good enough handle to play PG...

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/21/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver/Gray
Beard/R. Williams
Carson/Dabovic
Parker/Lavender
Ogwumike/Tolo

#3 pick, international or waiver wire player (one should be a post the other a wing/guard) LA will be right there again next season.

If you can't afford both just take a post at #3 (Coates, B. Jones) you can always play big line up a few minutes a night, it doesn't work for long stretches but with Parker and Ogwumike you can switch them to the SF on occasion (I agree the big line up isn't wise for extended minutes but it is fine five minutes a night if need be, and you can only afford 11 players.)

Or if she can prove she is healthy you can always try and trade R. Williams for another first round pick. I bet Atlanta would take a chance on her for the #7 pick, maybe even PX at #5, or Indy at #8. Its a risk but if healthy all of those teams would be better off with R. Williams then a mid first round rookie, especially if they are trying to win in 17 or 18.

Then LA would have #3 to use on a post (B. Jones, Coates, or other early declaree) and a mid to late pick to use on a guard/wing (Cofey, Epps, Plum, A. Jones, Walker-Kimbrough, Weise). Making the payroll cheaper without giving up anyone who actually played on the team in 16.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/21/16 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Yes, Williams will be on the team next season. I wonder if Dabovic returns with Williams on the team or if she tries to go somewhere else.

I could see Dabovic going to PHX to play with Serbian teammate Petrovic. But Agler or Toler probably wouldn't mind having the depth.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/21/16 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If LA stays focused,thay have a legit shot at winning 3 championships in the next 5 years.The sparks are balanced on both sides of the ball.They don't need Parker to carry the load for an entire season.Candace can play 24-28 minutes during the regular season then turn it up during the playoffs.The sparks also have enough assets to acquire a 3pt shooter or defensive wing if Beard/Carson gets injured.The return of Williams will give the sparks more bench depth.Most importantly,the sparks have a competent Head coach that will keep his foot on their necks.I see this sparks team winning 1-3 more championships in the near future.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 10/21/16 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1: Toliver / Gray
2: Beard / Williams / Dabovic
3: Carson / Vivians
4: Ogwumike / Lavender / Gruda
5: Parker / Tolo

And this line up is solid. Could everybody please shut the f*ck up cause Penny Toler is not about to make a major move. UNLESS she trade the lottery pick plus a reserve (Belyakova) for a great small forward (Shenise Johnson, Karima Christmas)

Shades

PostPosted: 10/22/16 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa... calm down.

I think Gray should start. Whether it's at the #1 or #2, it doesn't make much difference. Williams can be the spark off the bench.

Gray/Dabovic
Toliver/Williams
Beard/Carson
Ogwumike/Lavender
Parker/Tolo

Who would you draft at #4 under this scenario? I'd probably go combo guard/PG/SG. Then if they feel a need for 12 players, they could find a filler.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/22/16 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I've thought all year that Dabovic should be playing SF. Maybe they can work her in there instead.

I dont agree. She did fine last season with the Sparks at the point and overseas and on the Serbian team. But to me she looked insecure in the few minutes that she got this season and that's my whole point with her. Last season when she got consistent minutes from Agler she played with confidence and really worked well with players and certainly with Parker.
She needs consistency and she didnt have that this season.

But the advantage of her is that she can play all 3 perimeter positions but to me it looked like Agler didnt want any of that. Almost every time she and Gray were together on the floor he had Dabovic running the point. Pointing to her to bring the ball up.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/22/16 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I dont agree. She did fine last season with the Sparks at the point and overseas and on the Serbian team. But to me she looked insecure in the few minutes that she got this season and that's my whole point with her. Last season when she got consistent minutes from Agler she played with confidence and really worked well with players and certainly with Parker.

But the advantage of her is that she can play all 3 perimeter positions but to me it looked like Agler didnt want any of that. Almost every time she and Gray were together on the floor he had Dabovic running the point. Pointing to her to bring the ball up.

And teams learned that if you double team her, she coughs up the ball...I agree if they don't double her on the way up the court, she does ok in setting up and running the team. But that's a big if. The scouting reports get a whiff of blood and they go for it.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/22/16 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

And teams learned that if you double team her, she coughs up the ball...I agree if they don't double her on the way up the court, she does ok in setting up and running the team. But that's a big if. The scouting reports get a whiff of blood and they go for it.

What's the scouting report on Cruz?

Cruz is too small and weak for my liking, and WAY over rated on defense. I'd take Xargay or Dabovic over Cruz in a heartbeat. Let's make some deals! Smile

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/22/16 2:58 pm    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks 2017 Reply Reply with quote

Alana Beard- keeper- fountain of youth
Essence Carson- keeper for her defense
Ana Dabovic- cannot shoot, nor dribble under pressure...
Chelsea Gray- keeper
Sandrine Gruda- nope, bye
Jantel Lavender- keeper, or trade to my Wings for Glojo + SG or OS
Nneka Ogwumike- keeper
Candace Parker-keeper, but needs an adequate backup, legs are getting heavy
Kristi Toliver- keeper
Marianna Tolo- can go
Victoria Vivians- who?
Riquna Williams- if healthy, instant offense, let's see

Shades

PostPosted: 10/22/16 3:55 pm    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks 2017 Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Marianna Tolo- can go

Send them both to Minny, and I'll temporarily suspend my pursuit of Banham.

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Jantel Lavender- keeper, or trade to my Wings for Glojo + SG or OS

YES, please! Johnson and Parker have such great chemistry! #poisonpill

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Victoria Vivians- who?

Junior for Mississippi St who is eligible for the draft.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/22/16 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Why can teams double her and leave others that open? Because Toliver is often on the bench when she is in (this was not often the case last season) and they dont have to worry about Beard/Carson and Gray shooting from the perimeter.

Quote:

She is probably one of the Sparks best shooters (after Toliver) She is the reason that Serbia won a bronze medal at the olympics and why they won the European championship Laughing She scored 24 pts against USA a couple years ago. Yes she is worthless Rolling Eyes

I would have her with the Storm anyday of the week..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: