Numbers through 4 games:

87.7 points per 100 possessions (12th)
39.1% (!!!!!!) eFG% (12th)
44.6% TS% (12th)
-8.9 Net Rtg (11th)

TAAAAAAAAANK

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When asked about Sky strengths before the game, Stocks talked about team chemistry ...

She also said watching Copper was watching a superstar unfold before our eyes.

She could be right about the first, as offense is obviously not a strength (and I don't know that CVS will make that much difference, especially if she's gone for a month), but appears to be very wrong about the second.

But Copper is young and there's hope ... I guess.

PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Numbers through 4 games:

87.7 points per 100 possessions (12th)
39.1% (!!!!!!) eFG% (12th)
44.6% TS% (12th)
-8.9 Net Rtg (11th)

TAAAAAAAAANK

Wilson come to Papa! Cool

PostPosted: 05/25/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You do realize that it is the Sky's lot in the W to never get the #1 pick. The chances of them drawing Aja Wilson's Ping pong ball is less likely then Minnie somehow drawing it. I don't think her skill set is all that diverse anyway and they already have 8 posts on their roster. Maybe they should be aiming for De Shields. Finally someone to send TYoung to the bench.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/25/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22, I am just having fun on this message board. My immediate championship hopes died when the GWH nailed that coffin shut when she packed her bags and moved to Washington. I also know for a fact that none of the 2018 draft prospects will turn the Chicago Sky into an instant championship contender.

PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Skyfan22, I am just having fun on this message board. My immediate championship hopes died when the GWH nailed that coffin shut when she packed her bags and moved to Washington. I also know for a fact that none of the 2018 draft prospects will turn the Chicago Sky into an instant championship contender.

I know your sense of humor. I generally find your post quite entertaining, except when you opine for the Packers 🤢 . Oh look, the Ill emoji comes in Packer green.

We spent a long time in Chicago as ardent supporters so I know the suffering entailed with being a Sky fan. In spite of EDDs alleged philanthropic endeavors, she always seemed so distant when we would go to season tix holder events. She was just so icy ❄️! Other expletives come to mind but I will refrain. All the other players seemed to go out of their way to be nice and seemingly genuinely so. She seems to be the epitome of entitled millennial and it does not surprise me a bit she fled at the 1st chance she got. I was such a supporter of the Sky drafting her. In hindsight, they should've taken Diggy. But mercifully they didn't cuz now that we're in Dallas, we get to watch her play with enthusiasm. Diggy at the season tix open practice was very engaging and playful. None of that ice queen chill you get by being in the same time zone as E. I didn't think her flight perturbed me so until I saw the Seattle game and found myself staunchly in the corner of a team that has somehow captured 4 overall #1 draft picks.

what does GWH stand for anyway?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's some bizarre nonsense from Stocks. Copper's a superstar in the making? Then why, with two of your best perimeter players out of the country and another injured for the season, was she only playing 10mpg while you overplayed a bunch of mediocre bigs? I guess Copper must be really early in that superstar process (a player I actually kinda like, I just think Stocks's early rotations have been nonsensical).

Dolson and Boyette are going to be great playing together? No sign of that yet, and it's been going so well that Boyette finally got benched and played less than two minutes in their most recent game.

You expect coaches to say some silly stuff at times when talking up their teams, but try not to look like a complete loon when doing it. Honestly, the hope at this point has to be that Stocks will grow into her role, like rookies develop as players. Because so far, she's just looked like she's in over her head and needed longer as an assistant.

PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's some bizarre nonsense from Stocks. Copper's a superstar in the making? Then why, with two of your best perimeter players out of the country and another injured for the season, was she only playing 10mpg while you overplayed a bunch of mediocre bigs? I guess Copper must be really early in that superstar process (a player I actually kinda like, I just think Stocks's early rotations have been nonsensical).

Dolson and Boyette are going to be great playing together? No sign of that yet, and it's been going so well that Boyette finally got benched and played less than two minutes in their most recent game.

You expect coaches to say some silly stuff at times when talking up their teams, but try not to look like a complete loon when doing it. Honestly, the hope at this point has to be that Stocks will grow into her role, like rookies develop as players. Because so far, she's just looked like she's in over her head and needed longer as an assistant.

It's even worse as a longtime STH getting fed this bullshit after so many years of the affable Chatman going out of her way to answer fan questions and telling it like it is. Stocks' draft was a disaster, much of the roster is playing out of position, and the shot distributions are not congruent with the talent on the team. But everything is great! We have superstars and great leaders and versatility and chemistry and *insert cliche here*

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22, research the boxer by the name of James Jeffries to know the history on the term GWH.

PostPosted: 05/25/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:

what does GWH stand for anyway?

great white hope. Which doesn't seem to make sense with regard to Delle Donne as she is already considered as good as the black players in the league (2015 WNBA MVP). There doesn't have to be any hope that she will be.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/25/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Boyette's stock was very high last year mainly due to Delle Donne's presence on the floor with her. Now, that Delle Donne deserted the Sky and the Chicago fans, as did Fowles before her, Boyette is having to prove her talent on her own merits. I hope she can or does.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/25/17 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league had been searching for the next GWH since the day Lauren Jackson faded into the sunset. The current GWH receives more attention than any other player in the league.

PostPosted: 05/26/17 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The league had been searching for the next GWH since the day Lauren Jackson faded into the sunset. The current GWH receives more attention than any other player in the league.

How can she be of "Hope" When she has won MVP and scoring titles ?

PostPosted: 05/26/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA is a league that is dominated by great athletic black players. The national media is always drawn to a white player that displays a talent level that is equal to the best black players in the league.

Candace Parker has produced better overall stats year after year in comparison to GWH. The Big negative criticism of Candace was that she could not win a championship with her diverse talent. Since GWH came into the league scoring high numbers every year she has become the darling of the national media. Even the refs get caught up in the hype granting her points when she did not make a basket.

PostPosted: 05/26/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The WNBA is a league that is dominated by great athletic black players. The national media is always drawn to a white player that displays a talent level that is equal to the best black players in the league.

Candace Parker has produced better overall stats year after year in comparison to GWH. The Big negative criticism of Candace was that she could not win a championship with her diverse talent. Since GWH came into the league scoring high numbers every year she has become the darling of the national media. Even the refs get caught up in the hype granting her points when she did not make a basket.

So this is a race thing ? Stewie came in the league after EDD and has received just about the same amount of attention as EDD. If anything the promotions do focus more so on those 2 than the normal regular stars of the W which happen to be African american , but how long has the W promoted those players over and over again ? BG lost her chance with her fiasco and Diggins injury last season kind of put her on pause , But EDD and Stewie deserve the attention they get because of how they produce on the floor. I doubt there color has anything to do with it . The WNBA's most likely all time greatest player will be a Caucasian woman once shes all said and done. Diana Taurasi , Media attention over someones race is obserd imo.

PostPosted: 05/26/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will never call her by her name again. She is The G W H.

PostPosted: 05/26/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Diggins has gotten the most media attention in recent times, especially in proportion to what she's actually done on the floor. She's a very good, perhaps great, player but her hype has been immense.

Also when the three to see came out it was Griner who got the most hype. It turned around at least partially because EDD simply out performed her on the court.

On the other hand, considering she's reigning MVP and is intelligent and easy to interview, Nneka hasn't gotten what I would consider her 'proper' hype. I've thought it was at least partially because it confuses the media since LA is clearly Parker's team. Parker, btw, has gotten a lot of hype over the years.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/26/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GWH

PostPosted: 05/26/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/26/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.

Federer is the outright leader in male grand slam titles, absolutely destroyed the record for consecutive weeks ranked #1, and is regarded by a lot of people as the greatest ever.
Sorry if I'm being an asshole by pointing that out, but I think that makes them a poor comparison.

PostPosted: 05/26/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delle Donne is first among active players in PER and Win Shares per 48 minutes, and Chicago is headed towards 0-for-8 in postseason appearances without her. If you are looking for a parallel, I can think of one in the NBA...

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/27/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

Federer is the outright leader in male grand slam titles, absolutely destroyed the record for consecutive weeks ranked #1, and is regarded by a lot of people as the greatest ever.
Sorry if I'm being an asshole by pointing that out, but I think that makes them a poor comparison.

Actually, your statement lends good evidence to my assertion. My statement included reference to Williams. Simply by qualifying your statement by use of the word male, you think my argument was summarily disposed of. You completely ignore the myriad accomplishments of Serena by adding the word male? On a women's boas? the ease with which you make such a statement demonstrates the prejudices that are embedded in this society.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/27/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

Actually, your statement lends good evidence to my assertion. My statement included reference to Williams. Simply by qualifying your statement by use of the word male, you think my argument was summarily disposed of. You completely ignore the myriad accomplishments of Serena by adding the word male? On a women's boas? the ease with which you make such a statement demonstrates the prejudices that are embedded in this society.

I guess you'll need to explain the link between heroing Federer and deriding the Williams sisters. (and also why the Williams sisters are a package deal in this argument). Serena is the GOAT, and Federer has a good case as the greatest male player of all time.
I don't think it's really possible to directly compare players who didn't compete against each other, and my use of the word "male" was purely because Federer's achievements that I quoted are records against male competition, whereas Serena has more grand slam wins than Roger, but that is out of Roger's control. Perhaps you should have considered why I used the qualifier rather than making an incorrect and also a bit insulting assumption.

I think you missed it, so I'll clarify that my point was you are equating EDD to Federer, when EDD's achievements in her sport really don't stack up to Federer's in his. So it's a poor comparison IMO, regardless of how the Williams sisters supposedly fit into it. I don't think I've seen anyone claim that EDD is the greatest female basketballer of all time, whereas Federer as the men's GOAT is more than common, it might even be the consensus.

PostPosted: 05/29/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

I guess you'll need to explain the link between heroing Federer and deriding the Williams sisters. (and also why the Williams sisters are a package deal in this argument). Serena is the GOAT, and Federer has a good case as the greatest male player of all time.
I don't think it's really possible to directly compare players who didn't compete against each other, and my use of the word "male" was purely because Federer's achievements that I quoted are records against male competition, whereas Serena has more grand slam wins than Roger, but that is out of Roger's control. Perhaps you should have considered why I used the qualifier rather than making an incorrect and also a bit insulting assumption.

I think you missed it, so I'll clarify that my point was you are equating EDD to Federer, when EDD's achievements kin her sport really don't stack up to Federer's in his. So it's a poor comparison IMO, regardless of how the Williams sisters supposedly fit into it. I don't think I've seen anyone claim that EDD is the greatest female basketballer of all time, whereas Federer as the men's GOAT is more than common, it might even be the consensus.

Wow. Someone is obviously using strained bits of reason to get to a point.
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.
11. I can postulate several reasons:
A) overt discrimination
B) you are silently racist/unconsciously biased
C). You are grasping at straws to defend your statement

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/29/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

racism exists. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. It's sad but it's a fact. Misogyny also exists. It's sad but it's a fact. Discrimination of all kinds exists. It's up to all of us to do whatever we can to dump that shit in the toilet as soon as possible.

I don't think belittling a white woman's accomplishments because she is white helps get us there. And to me calling someone the Great White Hope is doing just that. If someone came on here and called Nneka, as an example, the Great Black Hope, we would all be pissed off about it. Just because racism exists in society as a whole, I don't see why we have to be that way here. Reverse racism is just as bad. Can't we just celebrate these women's accomplishments, which are amazing no matter how you look at it, without playing the race card.

JMO.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: