RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Chicago Sky 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5629
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Numbers through 4 games:

87.7 points per 100 possessions (12th)
39.1% (!!!!!!) eFG% (12th)
44.6% TS% (12th)
-8.9 Net Rtg (11th)


TAAAAAAAAANK



_________________
chicago sky tankwagon 2017
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8465



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When asked about Sky strengths before the game, Stocks talked about team chemistry ...

She also said watching Copper was watching a superstar unfold before our eyes.

She could be right about the first, as offense is obviously not a strength (and I don't know that CVS will make that much difference, especially if she's gone for a month), but appears to be very wrong about the second.

But Copper is young and there's hope ... I guess.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Numbers through 4 games:

87.7 points per 100 possessions (12th)
39.1% (!!!!!!) eFG% (12th)
44.6% TS% (12th)
-8.9 Net Rtg (11th)


TAAAAAAAAANK


Wilson come to Papa! Cool



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You do realize that it is the Sky's lot in the W to never get the #1 pick. The chances of them drawing Aja Wilson's Ping pong ball is less likely then Minnie somehow drawing it. I don't think her skill set is all that diverse anyway and they already have 8 posts on their roster. Maybe they should be aiming for De Shields. Finally someone to send TYoung to the bench.


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22, I am just having fun on this message board. My immediate championship hopes died when the GWH nailed that coffin shut when she packed her bags and moved to Washington. I also know for a fact that none of the 2018 draft prospects will turn the Chicago Sky into an instant championship contender.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Skyfan22, I am just having fun on this message board. My immediate championship hopes died when the GWH nailed that coffin shut when she packed her bags and moved to Washington. I also know for a fact that none of the 2018 draft prospects will turn the Chicago Sky into an instant championship contender.


I know your sense of humor. I generally find your post quite entertaining, except when you opine for the Packers 🤢 . Oh look, the Ill emoji comes in Packer green.

We spent a long time in Chicago as ardent supporters so I know the suffering entailed with being a Sky fan. In spite of EDDs alleged philanthropic endeavors, she always seemed so distant when we would go to season tix holder events. She was just so icy ❄️! Other expletives come to mind but I will refrain. All the other players seemed to go out of their way to be nice and seemingly genuinely so. She seems to be the epitome of entitled millennial and it does not surprise me a bit she fled at the 1st chance she got. I was such a supporter of the Sky drafting her. In hindsight, they should've taken Diggy. But mercifully they didn't cuz now that we're in Dallas, we get to watch her play with enthusiasm. Diggy at the season tix open practice was very engaging and playful. None of that ice queen chill you get by being in the same time zone as E. I didn't think her flight perturbed me so until I saw the Seattle game and found myself staunchly in the corner of a team that has somehow captured 4 overall #1 draft picks.

what does GWH stand for anyway?


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's some bizarre nonsense from Stocks. Copper's a superstar in the making? Then why, with two of your best perimeter players out of the country and another injured for the season, was she only playing 10mpg while you overplayed a bunch of mediocre bigs? I guess Copper must be really early in that superstar process (a player I actually kinda like, I just think Stocks's early rotations have been nonsensical).

Dolson and Boyette are going to be great playing together? No sign of that yet, and it's been going so well that Boyette finally got benched and played less than two minutes in their most recent game.

You expect coaches to say some silly stuff at times when talking up their teams, but try not to look like a complete loon when doing it. Honestly, the hope at this point has to be that Stocks will grow into her role, like rookies develop as players. Because so far, she's just looked like she's in over her head and needed longer as an assistant.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5629
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's some bizarre nonsense from Stocks. Copper's a superstar in the making? Then why, with two of your best perimeter players out of the country and another injured for the season, was she only playing 10mpg while you overplayed a bunch of mediocre bigs? I guess Copper must be really early in that superstar process (a player I actually kinda like, I just think Stocks's early rotations have been nonsensical).

Dolson and Boyette are going to be great playing together? No sign of that yet, and it's been going so well that Boyette finally got benched and played less than two minutes in their most recent game.

You expect coaches to say some silly stuff at times when talking up their teams, but try not to look like a complete loon when doing it. Honestly, the hope at this point has to be that Stocks will grow into her role, like rookies develop as players. Because so far, she's just looked like she's in over her head and needed longer as an assistant.


It's even worse as a longtime STH getting fed this bullshit after so many years of the affable Chatman going out of her way to answer fan questions and telling it like it is. Stocks' draft was a disaster, much of the roster is playing out of position, and the shot distributions are not congruent with the talent on the team. But everything is great! We have superstars and great leaders and versatility and chemistry and *insert cliche here*



_________________
chicago sky tankwagon 2017
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22, research the boxer by the name of James Jeffries to know the history on the term GWH.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5525



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:

what does GWH stand for anyway?


great white hope. Which doesn't seem to make sense with regard to Delle Donne as she is already considered as good as the black players in the league (2015 WNBA MVP). There doesn't have to be any hope that she will be.


RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5469



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That's some bizarre nonsense from Stocks. Copper's a superstar in the making? Then why, with two of your best perimeter players out of the country and another injured for the season, was she only playing 10mpg while you overplayed a bunch of mediocre bigs? I guess Copper must be really early in that superstar process (a player I actually kinda like, I just think Stocks's early rotations have been nonsensical).

Dolson and Boyette are going to be great playing together? No sign of that yet, and it's been going so well that Boyette finally got benched and played less than two minutes in their most recent game.

You expect coaches to say some silly stuff at times when talking up their teams, but try not to look like a complete loon when doing it. Honestly, the hope at this point has to be that Stocks will grow into her role, like rookies develop as players. Because so far, she's just looked like she's in over her head and needed longer as an assistant.


Boyette's stock was very high last year mainly due to Delle Donne's presence on the floor with her. Now, that Delle Donne deserted the Sky and the Chicago fans, as did Fowles before her, Boyette is having to prove her talent on her own merits. I hope she can or does.



_________________
Texas Lady Longhorns
UConn Huskies

Las Vegas Stars
Dallas Wings
Seattle Storm
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/17 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league had been searching for the next GWH since the day Lauren Jackson faded into the sunset. The current GWH receives more attention than any other player in the league.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4191
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The league had been searching for the next GWH since the day Lauren Jackson faded into the sunset. The current GWH receives more attention than any other player in the league.


How can she be of "Hope" When she has won MVP and scoring titles ?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA is a league that is dominated by great athletic black players. The national media is always drawn to a white player that displays a talent level that is equal to the best black players in the league.

Candace Parker has produced better overall stats year after year in comparison to GWH. The Big negative criticism of Candace was that she could not win a championship with her diverse talent. Since GWH came into the league scoring high numbers every year she has become the darling of the national media. Even the refs get caught up in the hype granting her points when she did not make a basket.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 4191
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The WNBA is a league that is dominated by great athletic black players. The national media is always drawn to a white player that displays a talent level that is equal to the best black players in the league.

Candace Parker has produced better overall stats year after year in comparison to GWH. The Big negative criticism of Candace was that she could not win a championship with her diverse talent. Since GWH came into the league scoring high numbers every year she has become the darling of the national media. Even the refs get caught up in the hype granting her points when she did not make a basket.


So this is a race thing ? Stewie came in the league after EDD and has received just about the same amount of attention as EDD. If anything the promotions do focus more so on those 2 than the normal regular stars of the W which happen to be African american , but how long has the W promoted those players over and over again ? BG lost her chance with her fiasco and Diggins injury last season kind of put her on pause , But EDD and Stewie deserve the attention they get because of how they produce on the floor. I doubt there color has anything to do with it . The WNBA's most likely all time greatest player will be a Caucasian woman once shes all said and done. Diana Taurasi , Media attention over someones race is obserd imo.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will never call her by her name again. She is The G W H.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20727



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Diggins has gotten the most media attention in recent times, especially in proportion to what she's actually done on the floor. She's a very good, perhaps great, player but her hype has been immense.

Also when the three to see came out it was Griner who got the most hype. It turned around at least partially because EDD simply out performed her on the court.

On the other hand, considering she's reigning MVP and is intelligent and easy to interview, Nneka hasn't gotten what I would consider her 'proper' hype. I've thought it was at least partially because it confuses the media since LA is clearly Parker's team. Parker, btw, has gotten a lot of hype over the years.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GWH



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17771



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.

Federer is the outright leader in male grand slam titles, absolutely destroyed the record for consecutive weeks ranked #1, and is regarded by a lot of people as the greatest ever.
Sorry if I'm being an asshole by pointing that out, but I think that makes them a poor comparison.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
RP



Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 1201



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delle Donne is first among active players in PER and Win Shares per 48 minutes, and Chicago is headed towards 0-for-8 in postseason appearances without her. If you are looking for a parallel, I can think of one in the NBA...


Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/27/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.

Federer is the outright leader in male grand slam titles, absolutely destroyed the record for consecutive weeks ranked #1, and is regarded by a lot of people as the greatest ever.
Sorry if I'm being an asshole by pointing that out, but I think that makes them a poor comparison.


Actually, your statement lends good evidence to my assertion. My statement included reference to Williams. Simply by qualifying your statement by use of the word male, you think my argument was summarily disposed of. You completely ignore the myriad accomplishments of Serena by adding the word male? On a women's boas? the ease with which you make such a statement demonstrates the prejudices that are embedded in this society.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17771



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/27/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.

Federer is the outright leader in male grand slam titles, absolutely destroyed the record for consecutive weeks ranked #1, and is regarded by a lot of people as the greatest ever.
Sorry if I'm being an asshole by pointing that out, but I think that makes them a poor comparison.


Actually, your statement lends good evidence to my assertion. My statement included reference to Williams. Simply by qualifying your statement by use of the word male, you think my argument was summarily disposed of. You completely ignore the myriad accomplishments of Serena by adding the word male? On a women's boas? the ease with which you make such a statement demonstrates the prejudices that are embedded in this society.

I guess you'll need to explain the link between heroing Federer and deriding the Williams sisters. (and also why the Williams sisters are a package deal in this argument). Serena is the GOAT, and Federer has a good case as the greatest male player of all time.
I don't think it's really possible to directly compare players who didn't compete against each other, and my use of the word "male" was purely because Federer's achievements that I quoted are records against male competition, whereas Serena has more grand slam wins than Roger, but that is out of Roger's control. Perhaps you should have considered why I used the qualifier rather than making an incorrect and also a bit insulting assumption.

I think you missed it, so I'll clarify that my point was you are equating EDD to Federer, when EDD's achievements in her sport really don't stack up to Federer's in his. So it's a poor comparison IMO, regardless of how the Williams sisters supposedly fit into it. I don't think I've seen anyone claim that EDD is the greatest female basketballer of all time, whereas Federer as the men's GOAT is more than common, it might even be the consensus.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Now that I've caught up, I completely agree. Golden spoon syndrome. She's like the wnba's Roger Federer. Throngs of Waspy assholes prostrating at the feet of their hero whilst deriding the Williams sisters. I've attended the US open sporadically and until very recently there really isn't any love for them there.

Federer is the outright leader in male grand slam titles, absolutely destroyed the record for consecutive weeks ranked #1, and is regarded by a lot of people as the greatest ever.
Sorry if I'm being an asshole by pointing that out, but I think that makes them a poor comparison.


Actually, your statement lends good evidence to my assertion. My statement included reference to Williams. Simply by qualifying your statement by use of the word male, you think my argument was summarily disposed of. You completely ignore the myriad accomplishments of Serena by adding the word male? On a women's boas? the ease with which you make such a statement demonstrates the prejudices that are embedded in this society.

I guess you'll need to explain the link between heroing Federer and deriding the Williams sisters. (and also why the Williams sisters are a package deal in this argument). Serena is the GOAT, and Federer has a good case as the greatest male player of all time.
I don't think it's really possible to directly compare players who didn't compete against each other, and my use of the word "male" was purely because Federer's achievements that I quoted are records against male competition, whereas Serena has more grand slam wins than Roger, but that is out of Roger's control. Perhaps you should have considered why I used the qualifier rather than making an incorrect and also a bit insulting assumption.

I think you missed it, so I'll clarify that my point was you are equating EDD to Federer, when EDD's achievements kin her sport really don't stack up to Federer's in his. So it's a poor comparison IMO, regardless of how the Williams sisters supposedly fit into it. I don't think I've seen anyone claim that EDD is the greatest female basketballer of all time, whereas Federer as the men's GOAT is more than common, it might even be the consensus.


Wow. Someone is obviously using strained bits of reason to get to a point.
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.
11. I can postulate several reasons:
A) overt discrimination
B) you are silently racist/unconsciously biased
C). You are grasping at straws to defend your statement


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20727



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

racism exists. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. It's sad but it's a fact. Misogyny also exists. It's sad but it's a fact. Discrimination of all kinds exists. It's up to all of us to do whatever we can to dump that shit in the toilet as soon as possible.

I don't think belittling a white woman's accomplishments because she is white helps get us there. And to me calling someone the Great White Hope is doing just that. If someone came on here and called Nneka, as an example, the Great Black Hope, we would all be pissed off about it. Just because racism exists in society as a whole, I don't see why we have to be that way here. Reverse racism is just as bad. Can't we just celebrate these women's accomplishments, which are amazing no matter how you look at it, without playing the race card.

JMO.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5525



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somebody is griping that they think Elena Delle Donne - a white female - gets more attention than she deserves versus her counterpart black females in the WNBA. Talking about a white MALE tennis player getting more attention than black FEMALE tennis players is an invalid analogy as not just the race, but the sex is different. We all know that male sports players get more reverence than female. Plus, I think women tennis fans gave white Martina Navratilova less love than her less successful white counterparts due to her having a more muscular physique. Serena Williams is even more powerfully built than Navratilova. So there's that as well.

Plus, people are more drawn to their own race and white players in the WNBA are in short supply. The majority of people date and marry people in their own race. They have "racist" dating habits. But we don't condemn that. And why get upset about Delle Donne when no one was complaining about the attention that Taurasi, Bird, and Jackson got/get?

And we are a long way from the 1950's and Jackie Robinson. Football and basketball fans go bonkers for a mostly black league. Golf fans were 85% white in 2006 but Tiger Woods was very well received by them and ratings and attendance went down when he left after his scandal. He also received 1.2 billion in endorsement money through 2015.




Last edited by tfan on 05/29/17 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Somebody is griping that they think Elena Delle Donne - a white female - gets more attention than she deserves versus her counterpart black females in the WNBA. Talking about a white MALE tennis player getting more attention than black FEMALE tennis players is an invalid analogy as not just the race, but the sex is different. We all know that male sports players get more reverence than female. Plus, I think women tennis fans gave white Martina Navratilova less love than her less successful white counterparts due to her having a more muscular physique. Serena Williams is even more powerfully built than Navratilova. So there's that as well.

Plus, people are more drawn to their own race and white players in the WNBA are in short supply. The majority of people date and marry people in their own race. They have "racist" dating habits. But we don't condemn that. And why get upset about Delle Donne when no one was complaining about the attention that Taurasi, Bird, and Jackson got/get?

And we are a long way from the 1950's and Jackie Robinson. Football and basketball fans go bonkers for a mostly black league. Golf fans were 85% in 2006 but Tiger Woods was very well received by them and ratings and attendance went down when he left after his scandal. He also received 1.2 billion in endorsement money through 2015.


Let me clarify my stance. I am griping about the racism that occurs in sport. And let me clarify beyond that: I am deeply troubled by the discrimination that occurs in sport, and more so the stubborn refusal of people who deny this discrimination exists. No as it pertains to EDD, I feel she is a lying little witch who seduced Michael Alter when he reached out to her prior to the draft by state no that she was committed to the Sky.
In the late 90s and early 2000s prior to the rise of RF, women's tennis was becoming more of a draw then men. John McEnroe even, who prior had refused to commentate, recognized this trend and actually called the French Open ladies final of '99. Roger's reception as the 2d coming may have in part been a response to the loss of WASP male control in tennis. People that actually attend the US Open watch both men's and women's matches. Cheering for Federer while deriding The Williams. Being more attracted to Men's tennis does not explain derision.

Martina was not favored compared to ice box Evert, whom I love too, was mostly jeered because she is s a LESBIAN, not cuz she is muscular.

People are more drawn to their own race? Unless you can explain the neuroscience behind that, I will assume That statement is laden with racism

We don't condemn racist dating habits? I, don't know about others, but I condemn the racism that leads to selection of a life partner.

Why does EDD get it and not the other 3 that were dedicated to their teams. Obviously, they weren't golden spoon wenches that jerked their team around. LJ played half a career on a broken axle, out of country.

Tiger Woods. Seriously, how many black people watched golf prior to him? How many do now?


Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
racism exists. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. It's sad but it's a fact. Misogyny also exists. It's sad but it's a fact. Discrimination of all kinds exists. It's up to all of us to do whatever we can to dump that shit in the toilet as soon as possible.

I don't think belittling a white woman's accomplishments because she is white helps get us there. And to me calling someone the Great White Hope is doing just that. If someone came on here and called Nneka, as an example, the Great Black Hope, we would all be pissed off about it. Just because racism exists in society as a whole, I don't see why we have to be that way here. Reverse racism is just as bad. Can't we just celebrate these women's accomplishments, which are amazing no matter how you look at it, without playing the race card.

JMO.


Reverse racism is just as bad? It's not. It's not even close. History has demonstrated the severity of the effects of the maltreatment of blacks. The reverse is nowhere close to the same thing. Nowhere. To indicate that it is undermines attempts to correct current social mores


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17771



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Wow. Someone is obviously using strained bits of reason to get to a point.
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.
11. I can postulate several reasons:
A) overt discrimination
B) you are silently racist/unconsciously biased
C). You are grasping at straws to defend your statement


You seem so desperate to find a way to inject racism or sexism into a my stance that you have still failed to comprehend the fairly simple thing I was trying to say, which is that Roger is a bad comparison for EDD.
I agree that GWH is a fair tag for EDD, but the fact is that as good as she is, she hasn't achieved enough yet to be talked about in the same sentence as the actual greats. Thus the letter H in GWH.
Roger, on the other hand, has. If you want to dispute either of those things then please give it your best shot.
If you want to talk about random tangential things then be my guest as well. But stop trying to mix the two.




Quote:
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
Which I agree with
Quote:
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
I disagree that there isn't discrimination based on race.
Quote:
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
Maybe he is exalted among those type of people, but he is also exalted by everyone else, because he is one of the best ever.
Quote:
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
It's a real stretch IMO to say that fans who recognise Rogers's greatness - i.e. nearly all fans - do not respect Williams. I'd love to know your rationale or see your data that led you to that theory.
Quote:
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
I'm comparing Roger's goat credentials to EDD's, since that is the comparison that YOU are making. Result: it's not even close. If you disagree, feel free to explain how.
Quote:
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
I already explained why I typed the word male. If you still don't get it, that's on you. Or are you claiming that Serena would beat Roger in a tennis match? Because unless you are, I think their relative achievements are best compared based in the context of how they actually achieved them - i.e. against their own gender.
Quote:
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
Yeah, that must be it. That's why I'm an admin of a women's basketball forum and have 17000+ posts here. It's why I travel from Australia to the USA to watch WNBA matches. Because I think female accomplishments are inconsequential.
Seriously, the real answers are not so complicated. The simplest answer is often the actual one, especially when you're dealing with a simple person!
Quote:
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
I'm not denying that there is discrimination in sport. It's kind of obvious to me that there is.
Quote:
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
There's no need for you to assume anything when you can just ask and receive an answer. Comparing women & men is like comparing point guards to power forwards. It's not always so easy to make direct comparisons between players who don't actually compete directly against each other.
Quote:
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.

Personally I am happy to find ways to compare them if I actually feel any need to. I haven't done so yet because it has nothing to do with the actual point I was making, which is that Roger has a good case as the GOAT, whereas EDD doesn't. Since it's not even close to me, that's where it ends.
Serena has a good case as the GOAT as well. As I mentioned here. But since that is not central to my point I didn't delve into that any further.

Quote:
11. I can postulate several reasons
Clearly you need to continue postulating.
Oh, and I notice you suddenly stopped mentioning Venus Williams now. Why is that?



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17771



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Somebody is griping that they think Elena Delle Donne - a white female - gets more attention than she deserves versus her counterpart black females in the WNBA. Talking about a white MALE tennis player getting more attention than black FEMALE tennis players is an invalid analogy as not just the race, but the sex is different. We all know that male sports players get more reverence than female. Plus, I think women tennis fans gave white Martina Navratilova less love than her less successful white counterparts due to her having a more muscular physique. Serena Williams is even more powerfully built than Navratilova. So there's that as well.


If I was going to try to pull a Skyfan22 and attempt a black-white thing using a tennis analogy, I think a much better example would be Williams - Sharapova.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5260
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Wow. Someone is obviously using strained bits of reason to get to a point.
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.
11. I can postulate several reasons:
A) overt discrimination
B) you are silently racist/unconsciously biased
C). You are grasping at straws to defend your statement


You seem so desperate to find a way to inject racism or sexism into a my stance that you have still failed to comprehend the fairly simple thing I was trying to say, which is that Roger is a bad comparison for EDD.
I agree that GWH is a fair tag for EDD, but the fact is that as good as she is, she hasn't achieved enough yet to be talked about in the same sentence as the actual greats. Thus the letter H in GWH.
Roger, on the other hand, has. If you want to dispute either of those things then please give it your best shot.
If you want to talk about random tangential things then be my guest as well. But stop trying to mix the two.




Quote:
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
Which I agree with
Quote:
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
I disagree that there isn't discrimination based on race.
Quote:
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
Maybe he is exalted among those type of people, but he is also exalted by everyone else, because he is one of the best ever.
Quote:
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
It's a real stretch IMO to say that fans who recognise Rogers's greatness - i.e. nearly all fans - do not respect Williams. I'd love to know your rationale or see your data that led you to that theory.
Quote:
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
I'm comparing Roger's goat credentials to EDD's, since that is the comparison that YOU are making. Result: it's not even close. If you disagree, feel free to explain how.
Quote:
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
I already explained why I typed the word male. If you still don't get it, that's on you. Or are you claiming that Serena would beat Roger in a tennis match? Because unless you are, I think their relative achievements are best compared based in the context of how they actually achieved them - i.e. against their own gender.
Quote:
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
Yeah, that must be it. That's why I'm an admin of a women's basketball forum and have 17000+ posts here. It's why I travel from Australia to the USA to watch WNBA matches. Because I think female accomplishments are inconsequential.
Seriously, the real answers are not so complicated. The simplest answer is often the actual one, especially when you're dealing with a simple person!
Quote:
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
I'm not denying that there is discrimination in sport. It's kind of obvious to me that there is.
Quote:
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
There's no need for you to assume anything when you can just ask and receive an answer. Comparing women & men is like comparing point guards to power forwards. It's not always so easy to make direct comparisons between players who don't actually compete directly against each other.
Quote:
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.

Personally I am happy to find ways to compare them if I actually feel any need to. I haven't done so yet because it has nothing to do with the actual point I was making, which is that Roger has a good case as the GOAT, whereas EDD doesn't. Since it's not even close to me, that's where it ends.
Serena has a good case as the GOAT as well. As I mentioned here. But since that is not central to my point I didn't delve into that any further.

Quote:
11. I can postulate several reasons
Clearly you need to continue postulating.
Oh, and I notice you suddenly stopped mentioning Venus Williams now. Why is that?


Well done Luuuc.There are infinite ways racism is expressed everywhere. Nobody disputes that. Thank you for answering point by point.

Serena is DEF the GOAT in women's tennis. Martina, Steffi, now Serena. The strongest woman to ever play the game.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5469



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
racism exists. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. It's sad but it's a fact. Misogyny also exists. It's sad but it's a fact. Discrimination of all kinds exists. It's up to all of us to do whatever we can to dump that shit in the toilet as soon as possible.

I don't think belittling a white woman's accomplishments because she is white helps get us there. And to me calling someone the Great White Hope is doing just that. If someone came on here and called Nneka, as an example, the Great Black Hope, we would all be pissed off about it. Just because racism exists in society as a whole, I don't see why we have to be that way here. Reverse racism is just as bad. Can't we just celebrate these women's accomplishments, which are amazing no matter how you look at it, without playing the race card.

JMO.


Reverse racism is just as bad? It's not. It's not even close. History has demonstrated the severity of the effects of the maltreatment of blacks. The reverse is nowhere close to the same thing. Nowhere. To indicate that it is undermines attempts to correct current social mores


Besides labeling others as racists and misogynists, what positive things are you doing to help amelerate these problems, I.e., working with children of various races to properly educate them on these matters etc.?



_________________
Texas Lady Longhorns
UConn Huskies

Las Vegas Stars
Dallas Wings
Seattle Storm
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15197
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
tfan wrote:
Somebody is griping that they think Elena Delle Donne - a white female - gets more attention than she deserves versus her counterpart black females in the WNBA. Talking about a white MALE tennis player getting more attention than black FEMALE tennis players is an invalid analogy as not just the race, but the sex is different. We all know that male sports players get more reverence than female. Plus, I think women tennis fans gave white Martina Navratilova less love than her less successful white counterparts due to her having a more muscular physique. Serena Williams is even more powerfully built than Navratilova. So there's that as well.


If I was going to try to pull a Skyfan22 and attempt a black-white thing using a tennis analogy, I think a much better example would be Williams - Sharapova.


Really. I think this is one of the rare situations where an analysis factoring in sexism *and* racism is *not* called for. Keep the variables to a minimum.

(although, for what it's worth, I prefer "Fragile Special Snowflake" for Delle Donne)



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17771



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Well done Luuuc.There are infinite ways racism is expressed everywhere. Nobody disputes that. Thank you for answering point by point.

Serena is DEF the GOAT in women's tennis. Martina, Steffi, now Serena. The strongest woman to ever play the game.


Yeah, IMO it's not even close anymore re: Serena.
Some argue that the lack of depth of womens talent makes Serena's record look better, whereas I think it's more like she is so extraordinarily good that she makes the competition appear second-rate by comparison.
The selfish fan in me is just sad that the pregnancy happened now because I really want Serena's name at the top of the grand slam titles list.


Queenie wrote:
Really. I think this is one of the rare situations where an analysis factoring in sexism *and* racism is *not* called for. Keep the variables to a minimum.

The engineer in me has the same approach.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7346



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not denying racism exists nor am I going to deny that Delle Donne's tall white blond looks garner her more attention than many of her counterparts. But I think when it comes to the WNBA it is a bit more of "masculine" vs "feminine." Skylar Diggins is able to make a very good living without going overseas. She was featured in magazine spreads in a way even Delle Donne wasn't (until the coming out ones). Candace Parker and Lisa Leslie were also featured. I feel it was because for all their power they didn't show the muscles in quite the way Tamika Catchings did.

That said, it always annoyed me that Delle Donne seemed to be the token WNBA player in all those Nike commercials. They had variety with the men so why not pull out any of their other stable of WNBA signings? Yes, I do thinks race and beauty played a significant part there.


bullsky



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 20238



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Skyfan22, I am just having fun on this message board. My immediate championship hopes died when the GWH nailed that coffin shut when she packed her bags and moved to Washington. I also know for a fact that none of the 2018 draft prospects will turn the Chicago Sky into an instant championship contender.


I know your sense of humor. I generally find your post quite entertaining, except when you opine for the Packers 🤢 . Oh look, the Ill emoji comes in Packer green.

We spent a long time in Chicago as ardent supporters so I know the suffering entailed with being a Sky fan. In spite of EDDs alleged philanthropic endeavors, she always seemed so distant when we would go to season tix holder events. She was just so icy ❄️! Other expletives come to mind but I will refrain. All the other players seemed to go out of their way to be nice and seemingly genuinely so. She seems to be the epitome of entitled millennial and it does not surprise me a bit she fled at the 1st chance she got. I was such a supporter of the Sky drafting her. In hindsight, they should've taken Diggy. But mercifully they didn't cuz now that we're in Dallas, we get to watch her play with enthusiasm. Diggy at the season tix open practice was very engaging and playful. None of that ice queen chill you get by being in the same time zone as E. I didn't think her flight perturbed me so until I saw the Seattle game and found myself staunchly in the corner of a team that has somehow captured 4 overall #1 draft picks.

what does GWH stand for anyway?


I hate to sound like a bitter fan who's star player just left (because I'm really not surprised or bummed about EDD's departure) but I, too, had very similar interactions. I ran into Cappie and TYoung in public and they couldn't have been nicer. EDD, was a bit different to say the least.

Anyways, what can we get in a trade for Breland?



_________________
"Don't do something until you get it right, do it until you can't do it wrong."
- Geno Auriemma
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Anyways, what can we get in a trade for Breland?

Why do you want to give up basically the only 4 on the roster?



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4316
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Anyways, what can we get in a trade for Breland?

Why do you want to give up basically the only 4 on the roster?


Because she's not being used in her natural position I guess.



_________________
Quote:
EDD will not come in and dominate like some of you are thinking.
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Anyways, what can we get in a trade for Breland?

Why do you want to give up basically the only 4 on the roster?


Because she's not being used in her natural position I guess.

She mostly has been in recent games. Stocks appears to have no fucking clue what to do with her rotation, but one way or another she's largely ended up as a 4 the last few games.

I don't see what you'd get back for Breland that'd be more useful to the Sky than Breland herself.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4316
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I don't see what you'd get back for Breland that'd be more useful to the Sky than Breland herself.


Agreed.



_________________
Quote:
EDD will not come in and dominate like some of you are thinking.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20727



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Anyways, what can we get in a trade for Breland?

Why do you want to give up basically the only 4 on the roster?


Because she's not being used in her natural position I guess.

She mostly has been in recent games. Stocks appears to have no fucking clue what to do with her rotation, but one way or another she's largely ended up as a 4 the last few games.

I don't see what you'd get back for Breland that'd be more useful to the Sky than Breland herself.


Tell it like it is bro! You could appropriately post that in the SAS thread as well.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
bullsky



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Posts: 20238



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
I don't see what you'd get back for Breland that'd be more useful to the Sky than Breland herself.


Agreed.


That answers my question.



_________________
"Don't do something until you get it right, do it until you can't do it wrong."
- Geno Auriemma
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/31/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So your point is that Roger is the greatest male of all time and therefore he cannot be compared to EDD as she's not the greatest. My point as she is the GWH. New to GWH analysis, I'd think the H stands for hope. As fans hope their GWH is their trump card in a racist debate. Actually being the best does not necessarily need to factor into the debate.

My sample size is me sitting in Arthur Ashe year after year hearing and seeing fans and line refs screw Serena so that capriati wins in 2004.

My angst is at silent discrimination. Obviously, most fans on this board are very supportive. But, it's a place to release frustrations. Even in women's basketball racial disparity serves to handicap the players.


Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Wow. Someone is obviously using strained bits of reason to get to a point.
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.
11. I can postulate several reasons:
A) overt discrimination
B) you are silently racist/unconsciously biased
C). You are grasping at straws to defend your statement


You seem so desperate to find a way to inject racism or sexism into a my stance that you have still failed to comprehend the fairly simple thing I was trying to say, which is that Roger is a bad comparison for EDD.
I agree that GWH is a fair tag for EDD, but the fact is that as good as she is, she hasn't achieved enough yet to be talked about in the same sentence as the actual greats. Thus the letter H in GWH.
Roger, on the other hand, has. If you want to dispute either of those things then please give it your best shot.
If you want to talk about random tangential things then be my guest as well. But stop trying to mix the two.




Quote:
1. Conversation started as EDD being the great white hope
Which I agree with
Quote:
2. People began to indicate that there isn't Discrimination based on race favoring EDD and generalized it to sports in general.
I disagree that there isn't discrimination based on race.
Quote:
3. I stated there is. I compared her to Federer because he is exalted among the elitist waspy tennis fans who I could go on for hours examples of the ways they perpetuate racism.
Maybe he is exalted among those type of people, but he is also exalted by everyone else, because he is one of the best ever.
Quote:
4. I said that these same fans don't treat the Williams with any sort of similar reverence or even respect.
It's a real stretch IMO to say that fans who recognise Rogers's greatness - i.e. nearly all fans - do not respect Williams. I'd love to know your rationale or see your data that led you to that theory.
Quote:
5. You chose to rush to the altar of Federer and defend him as the Goat. My statement again was that his worshippers chose to worship him because he fits the profile they have been hoping for
I'm comparing Roger's goat credentials to EDD's, since that is the comparison that YOU are making. Result: it's not even close. If you disagree, feel free to explain how.
Quote:
6. In your reply, you dismissed Serena via unconscious discrimination by thoughtlessly typing the word male
I already explained why I typed the word male. If you still don't get it, that's on you. Or are you claiming that Serena would beat Roger in a tennis match? Because unless you are, I think their relative achievements are best compared based in the context of how they actually achieved them - i.e. against their own gender.
Quote:
7. OR, you are so gender biased you consciously stated male and firmly believing dismissing all female tennis accomplishments as inconsequential to the conquests of men
Yeah, that must be it. That's why I'm an admin of a women's basketball forum and have 17000+ posts here. It's why I travel from Australia to the USA to watch WNBA matches. Because I think female accomplishments are inconsequential.
Seriously, the real answers are not so complicated. The simplest answer is often the actual one, especially when you're dealing with a simple person!
Quote:
8. I highlighted this in my response to demonstrate that There definitely is discrimination in sport because you did it in your response based on gender. Or possibly race as well ASS Serena happens to be black as well. Race and gender discrimination both occur in similar patterns among the same people.
I'm not denying that there is discrimination in sport. It's kind of obvious to me that there is.
Quote:
9. You chose to reply with the main argument that you cannot compare the accomplishments of men and women. I assume this is purely driven by gender bias or an attempt to grasp for an argument.
There's no need for you to assume anything when you can just ask and receive an answer. Comparing women & men is like comparing point guards to power forwards. It's not always so easy to make direct comparisons between players who don't actually compete directly against each other.
Quote:
10. I would like to point out that there are millions of occurrences of sport enthusiasts trying to compare athletes that have never before faced each other directly. I will name a few. Male tennis players that have won in the past to current. Tennis players that played with wood rackets vs. graphite, old baseball players vs. new. Athletes that juiced vs. those that didn't. Basketball vs. tennis. Jordan v. Lebron. So I fail to see how you cannot find a way to compare Federer and Serena.

Personally I am happy to find ways to compare them if I actually feel any need to. I haven't done so yet because it has nothing to do with the actual point I was making, which is that Roger has a good case as the GOAT, whereas EDD doesn't. Since it's not even close to me, that's where it ends.
Serena has a good case as the GOAT as well. As I mentioned here. But since that is not central to my point I didn't delve into that any further.

Quote:
11. I can postulate several reasons
Clearly you need to continue postulating.
Oh, and I notice you suddenly stopped mentioning Venus Williams now. Why is that?


Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 186



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/31/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
racism exists. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. It's sad but it's a fact. Misogyny also exists. It's sad but it's a fact. Discrimination of all kinds exists. It's up to all of us to do whatever we can to dump that shit in the toilet as soon as possible.

I don't think belittling a white woman's accomplishments because she is white helps get us there. And to me calling someone the Great White Hope is doing just that. If someone came on here and called Nneka, as an example, the Great Black Hope, we would all be pissed off about it. Just because racism exists in society as a whole, I don't see why we have to be that way here. Reverse racism is just as bad. Can't we just celebrate these women's accomplishments, which are amazing no matter how you look at it, without playing the race card.



JMO.


Reverse racism is just as bad? It's not. It's not even close. History has demonstrated the severity of the effects of the maltreatment of blacks. The reverse is nowhere close to the same thing. Nowhere. To indicate that it is undermines attempts to correct current social mores


Besides labeling others as racists and misogynists, what positive things are you doing to help amelerate these problems, I.e., working with children of various races to properly educate them on these matters etc.?


Let's see. I've adopted 2 African American children. I donate to several charities supporting African Americans. We pay yearly for my child's basketball team to attend a WNBA game. We ourselves, while in Chicago we're Yearly courtside ticket holders paying 5k to support women's hoops. Now in Dallas we are row 2 paying nearly the same. We were the only people in our suburb of TX with Hillary pins, stickers and a sign in the yard, which I had to replace on several occasions. I vote in every election and do everything I can to motivate other liberals to vote at every opportunity. Furthermore, we are the only openly gay, 3 raced family I know in the suburbs of Texas. We hold ourselves out as what we are and my partner and our children have generally been very well accepted. So, in total, I would say I have contributed a lot.

So I thank you for calling me an asshole for highlighting instances that may well indicate covert biases. But, they exist everywhere and need addressing if we ever want to eliminate discrimination


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2694
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/31/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm changing the name of my team from the Chicago Sky to the Chicago Masons. What they do best is shoot bricks. Confused



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6275
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/03/17 12:11 pm    ::: Courtney Vandersloot won’t slow down Reply Reply with quote

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/02/former-gonzaga-womens-basketball-star-courtney-van/



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5629
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sloot officially leaves.

Sky sign Shayla Cooper.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯



_________________
chicago sky tankwagon 2017
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Sloot officially leaves.

Sky sign Shayla Cooper.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So they re-signed the player that they previously cut a week before it was necessary? That makes total sense and Amber Stocks clearly knows exactly what she's doing.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7977
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/08/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Tori couldn't get signed back but Cooper could Laughing

STOCK GM OF THE YEAR!


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/08/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a surprise. Cooper over Jankoska.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin