Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 08/16/17 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
There's still no exact date for [Coates'] return but the Sky are hoping for September. The Sky would need to make the playoffs to extend their season and they currently hold the last playoff spot. The WNBA regular season ends September 3rd.

I guess they're not aware of pilight's claim that a player must be signed by August 20 to qualify for the playoffs.

Even if it were possible it seems rather foolish to waste a year of the rookie contract for a game or two in September.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/16/17 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:
There's still no exact date for [Coates'] return but the Sky are hoping for September. The Sky would need to make the playoffs to extend their season and they currently hold the last playoff spot. The WNBA regular season ends September 3rd.

I guess they're not aware of pilight's claim that a player must be signed by August 20 to qualify for the playoffs.

Even if it were possible it seems rather foolish to waste a year of the rookie contract for a game or two in September.

Not from the player's perspective - one year closer to getting off that scale and earning a higher salary.

PostPosted: 08/16/17 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it means anything, don't expect to see Parker back on the court anytime soon...

toad455

PostPosted: 08/16/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
If it means anything, don't expect to see Parker back on the court anytime soon...

so two things will possibly happen for the Sky: Coates gets signed by August 20 or Graves gets signed for the full season by August 20.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sigur3

PostPosted: 08/16/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

so two things will possibly happen for the Sky: Coates gets signed by August 20 or Graves gets signed for the full season by August 20.

Pretty much. Stocks recently changed her tune and suggested that we could be seeing Coates soon, but I don't know what the benefit of that would be.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/16/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signing her now would lock her into 2018 also. They don't sign her by August 20 and doesn't play overseas, she can re-enter the 2018 draft.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/16/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The benefit would be that Coates gets a year off her rookie contract for doing like 3 weeks of work for them Wink Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/16/17 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
The benefit would be that Coates gets a year off her rookie contract for doing like 3 weeks of work for them Wink Laughing

Who cares if she gets a year off her rookie contract? If she's good, she's worth it. It wouldn't hurt Chicago's reputation to show some good will towards its players. Might pay off in the long run.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/16/17 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Who cares if she gets a year off her rookie contract? If she's good, she's worth it. It wouldn't hurt Chicago's reputation to show some good will towards its players. Might pay off in the long run.

I wonder how this works. If she says she is ready to play, can the team say - "No we want to wait until next year?" Seems like a team would be obligtated to make a contract offer to a player they drafted, at least for a FRP.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/16/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

I wonder how this works. If she says she is ready to play, can the team say - "No we want to wait until next year?" Seems like a team would be obligtated to make a contract offer to a player they drafted, at least for a FRP.

If I remember correctly, you have to make a qualifying offer pretty quickly after the draft to retain the player's rights. That means an offer is already on the table.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per the team's Twitter:
Quote:
Per the team's Twitter:
Injury Update: Keisha Hampton will undergo left knee surgery today and will be sidelined for the duration of the 2017 season.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/18/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Per the team's Twitter:
Quote:
Per the team's Twitter:
Injury Update: Keisha Hampton will undergo left knee surgery today and will be sidelined for the duration of the 2017 season.

Okay, and didn't it look like Dolson's wisdom teeth were acting up in their last game?

Man, it's a good thing Cooper forced Hooper unto them in the trade. It seems to be Chicago's lucky year.

Did anybody else notice that Pilight's deadline to sign a player for the playoffs falls on a Sunday? I don't even think the league offices' janitor works on a Sunday. Makes me think that date is suspect. Where's the documentation?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/17 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Per the team's Twitter:
Quote:
Per the team's Twitter:

Okay, and didn't it look like Dolson's wisdom teeth were acting up in their last game?

Man, it's a good thing Cooper forced Hooper unto them in the trade. It seems to be Chicago's lucky year.

Did anybody else notice that Pilight's deadline to sign a player for the playoffs falls on a Sunday? I don't even think the league offices' janitor works on a Sunday. Makes me think that date is suspect. Where's the documentation?

It's right there on page 12 of the WNBA Media Guide & Register. Not to mention that it's been two weeks before the end of the season for several years now.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's right there on page 12 of the WNBA Media Guide & Register.

Is there a public link for that anywhere? Don't think I've seen this year's version.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Per the team's Twitter:
Quote:
Per the team's Twitter:

no trolling, please

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Is there a public link for that anywhere? Don't think I've seen this year's version.

I don't know of one. I'll see if I can put it up on my site tonight.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky To Sign La Rabida Patient Sky Stewart to One-Day Contract

http://www.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-sign-la-rabida-patient-sky-stewart-one-day-contract/

Quote:
Stewart, who is fighting sickle cell disease, will join the Sky on Friday morning for shootaround at Allstate Arena. Her family will also accompany her to events throughout the day.

“I am really excited to play basketball with the team,” Stewart said. “I play basketball with my older brothers all the time, so I am ready for this.”

PostPosted: 08/18/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

So does the league office actually do business on Sunday, or does it default to Monday, since they couldn't be bothered to look at the calendar?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/18/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if the Sky end up with both their pick and Atl's pick in the lottery they actually have a decent chance at the #1 pick. Would Sky fans be happy with something like this?

Vandersloot/Faulkner
Quigley/Pondexter
G. Williams (#4 pick)/Copper/Hampton or Hooper
A. Wilson (#1 pick)/Breland/Parker
Dolson/Coates

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/18/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So if the Sky end up with both their pick and Atl's pick in the lottery they actually have a decent chance at the #1 pick. Would Sky fans be happy with something like this?

Vandersloot/Faulkner
Quigley/Pondexter
G. Williams (#4 pick)/Copper/Hampton or Hooper
A. Wilson (#1 pick)/Breland/Parker
Dolson/Coates

Hell yeah I'd be happy with that. But I'd be even happier if Cappie is bumped out in favor of another shooter or high ceiling athlete.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Try it here:

http://pilight.xyz/2017-WNBA-Guide-Register.pdf

PostPosted: 08/18/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coates is in Chicago for tonight's game and Sunday's game. No word yet on if she'll be suited up next week or not.

Last edited by sigur3 on 08/18/17 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 08/18/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Try it here:

Quote:
Player playoff eligibility from waivers

Hold on, now. From waivers? Would you consider either Coates or McCoughtry as being on waivers?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/18/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Try it here:

Thanks. In reference to the earlier discussion, it does specify 'Player playoff eligibility from waivers' for August 20th. Suggests to me that if you're just signing Player X off the street, you can do it later.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sky To Sign La Rabida Patient Sky Stewart to One-Day Contract

http://www.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-sign-la-rabida-patient-sky-stewart-one-day-contract/

Quote:
Stewart, who is fighting sickle cell disease, will join the Sky on Friday morning for shootaround at Allstate Arena. Her family will also accompany her to events throughout the day.

“I am really excited to play basketball with the team,” Stewart said. “I play basketball with my older brothers all the time, so I am ready for this.”

This is pretty cool.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: