RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Given Boyette's history, and tweets I can see her not being on the "same page" no matter how that was determined. However, I've never heard or seen anything about Young that suggests a lack of "commitment or passion." (Of course, there were those who questioned her talent level....)

With Young it may be that Stocks had a sitdown with her about her future with the team. Maybe she offered her an extension but Young indicated she'd like to go to ATL (as Nerd so rudely put it "ever had a girlfriend?") People always want to know why things happen, and since we are rarely given complete explanations, that's where speculation comes in.

Randy wrote:
In fact, against the Dream she seemed to often get into Angel head.

I think you can hate somebody as an opponent but respect them as a teammate. Part of it may have been how well Young defended McCoughtry. If that's not the case, then Cooper really messed up, huh?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/11/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's an odd situation for Young to end up back in Atlanta and I guess private matters might be driving factor. Not sure why the Dream wanted her because we already have lots of wings, unless it was sort a tryout to decide if we ought to try to sign her for next season. Or maybe it is insurance in case Angel decides she likes taking summer's off (or gets traded). BTW - my biggest and most disliked business opponent later became a team mate and we got along quite well so it can happen.

BTW - Angel's Ice Cream shop got top billing on the first page of the Living Section in today's Atlanta Journal in an article about where to go for the best ice cream.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's things potentially more lucrative happening for Young in ATL (reality tv), but she can still have basketball as a safety net with the Dream.

For Cooper, he probably figured Young would help with a playoff push this year more than Hooper. Cooper is obviously in win-now mode. Can you blame him? He's got this hot PG, an all star SG, a ROY candidate, and a decent center, but thin at post. He doesn't want this season to go to waste, but things better start clicking again.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/11/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like tonight would be a great place to start.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/11/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

For Cooper, he probably figured Young would help with a playoff push this year more than Hooper.

wrong

tfan

PostPosted: 08/11/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5mPVJ--QtkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy

PostPosted: 08/11/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

For Cooper, he probably figured Young would help with a playoff push this year more than Hooper.

wrong

Care to give us the right answer?

You saying Young won't be as much help as Hooper or that the assumption about what Cooper was thinking was wrong.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/11/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

wrong

You saying Young won't be as much help as Hooper or that the assumption about what Cooper was thinking was wrong.

Cooper didn't want Young. She's 30 years old, her contract is expiring, and the Dream have like 16 wing players already. But if the Dream wanted Boyette, they had to take Young as well.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/11/17 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never thought Young was that bad.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/11/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Amber Stocks was playing her 18 to 40 minutes a game (average 29 minutes) this year, so it seems like she didn't think she was that bad either. There would have to be some other side to the story for a coach to force a player that they were playing 29 minutes a game into a trade.

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/11/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sky looking to win and build for future at the same time

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/sky-looking-to-win-and-build-for-future-at-the-same-time/

Quote:
Clearly, the Sky (10-16) are trying to pull off a difficult feat: win now while building for the future. Sky coach and general manager Amber Stocks doesn’t seem too bothered by the degree of difficulty.

“There definitely are challenges with that,” Stocks told the Sun-Times, “however, I wouldn’t say it’s hard to do both.”

They can just have the Dream play the lottery for them, while they enter the playoff race. What's Slooty's opinion of the playoffs? "It's a whole new season."

Quote:
That sentiment goes against conventional wisdom. Usually, teams decide to either go for wins or look to the future because it’s not easy to do both simultaneously.

But Stocks isn’t seeing things that way, and she likes how her team is approaching the task at hand.

Quote:
“The players that we have on this team are very focused, and we’re all on the same page as far as our commitment and our passion,” Stocks said. “That helps everybody see the same picture and have similar goals in mind."

I dunno... something tells me Stocks may have noticed Boyette retweeting and liking the notion of her getting traded. That would indicate everyone not being on the same page on commitment, or it may have been obvious even without the tweeting.

I would say Amber Harris has struggled with commitment and focus throughout her glorious WNBA career. Now that Boyette has been traded, she really needs to buckle down and hone that focus or she may become the next Amber Harris with all that unrealized potential.

Quote:
“It comes down to the details, no matter how you slice it,’’ Stocks said. ‘‘My focus is on the details and leading, coaching, guiding, managing us to win possessions. When you win possessions, then the results take care of themselves and you win games, then advance to the playoffs.”

Just because a person re tweets something does not mean that they are not on the same page as their teammates. Players re tweet things all of the time. Imani has to develop more offensively. For big players, it takes time.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/11/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

Amber Stocks was playing her 18 to 40 minutes a game (average 29 minutes) this year, so it seems like she didn't think she was that bad either. There would have to be some other side to the story for a coach to force a player that they were playing 29 minutes a game into a trade.

Could be that Stocks is really myrtle. Trade deadline was her last chance to get rid of Young.

Or maybe Young is the real Poison Pill. Dream haven't won a game since we got her, Sky were on a 3 game losing streak and haven't lost since the trade. Stocks may have known that putting Young in the deal would be addition by subtraction for the Sky and destruction by addition for the Dream.

One interesting note - I don't remember seeing Angel at any games this season, but now she's been to both games since Young joined the team.
Question

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/11/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:

Could be that Stocks is really myrtle. Trade deadline was her last chance to get rid of Young.

Or maybe Young is the real Poison Pill. Dream haven't won a game since we got her, Sky were on a 3 game losing streak and haven't lost since the trade. Stocks may have known that putting Young in the deal would be addition by subtraction for the Sky and destruction by addition for the Dream.

One interesting note - I don't remember seeing Angel at any games this season, but now she's been to both games since Young joined the team.
Question

Pure speculation but it could be a mentality thing not a quality of play thing. Young 1st time head coach comes to a new team in turmoil, they struggle out the gate I could see some vets (especially one that has been with the team for a long time) "wanting to help the coach and young players" with a lot of advice and direction that maybe the coach didn't want or solicit, and younger players not sure who to listen to, etc. Combine that with the same coach thinking the young player behind the vet (Copper) shows a lot of promise and wants to increase that players minutes without stepping on a vets toes, so trade the vet somewhere they want to go and everybody wins. Again just pure speculation but maybe similar to what happened with SA and Currie. Just best for everyone involved to go in a different direction.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/12/17 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

:

I never thought of that angle. If so Stocks has a really poor self image. It seems like a weird trade to me, so presumably more behind-the-scenes stuff than we'll probably ever know. And until the draft happens, hard to know how it all turns out.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Randy wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

wrong

Cooper didn't want Young.

Well he obviously wanted her more than Hooper for a playoff push. Can't figure out that Young is better than Hooper? That's a problem. Does anybody think Boyette alone is worth a 2018 first round pick? Hasn't really backed up that notion.

sigur3 wrote:
She's 30 years old

I guess McCoughtry won't be back.

sigur3 wrote:
her contract is expiring

Why is that a problem? If she does great she can get an extension seeing that she probably wants to be in ATL for obvious reasons. If she's not all that then she can carry on. Young has the short term value, and Boyette may have the long term value if they're patient enough. But to say he didn't want Young is inaccurate.

sigur3 wrote:
the Dream have like 16 wing players already.

They wanted to match Chicago's 16 wing players. Nevermind that they swapped wing players so they maintained the same level of wing players.

sigur3 wrote:
But if the Dream wanted Boyette, they had to take Young as well.

Yeah, I bet he had to have his arm twisted to take one of CHI's starters when he's making a playoff push. Let's see, Young got 15 min tonight to Boyette's 3 min.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/12/17 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the football schedule the Sky has been playing with last week and this week. It's getting me ready for football season. I can't wait to watch the greatest pro sports league in North America.The NFL baby! Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

sigur3 wrote:

Yeah, I bet he had to have his arm twisted to take one of CHI's starters when he's making a playoff push. Let's see, Young got 15 min tonight to Boyette's 3 min.

Chicago clearly wanted to get some value for that contract. Young got 10 minutes tonight btw - you were reading Dantas' stat line. Trading for her made little sense to me since they want Hayes and Sykes out there as much as possible. As for Boyette, Cooper did say that the trade was done to improve their rebounding. But after two games where he played her 16 minutes, there's now two games where she is the last post off the bench and gets 3 minutes. Does this mean he is not happy with her?

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/12/17 2:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

sigur3 wrote:

You are not grasping how a package deal works. Chicago has been trying to trade Young since the beginning of the season, but had no success. Why? Because nobody wanted her straight-up, for the reasons I listed. A minuscule sample size of minutes does not magically go back in time and change that Boyette was the main part of this deal. You can speculate all you want, but these are the facts.

and I'm not replying to the rest of your attempts to break up my post and take what I said out of context. Troll harder next time.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/12/17 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Chicago gets Dolson, Copper, and Coates in exchange for EDD. Dolson is an All-Star, Copper could be their long-term solution at SF, and Coates has potential. Having Dolson and Coates is what encouraged the Sky to trade Boyette in a deal that probably nets them a lottery pick in a strong draft. Could it be that EDD demanding a trade is the best thing that ever happened to the Sky? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/12/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

sigur3 wrote:

You are not grasping how a package deal works. Chicago has been trying to trade Young since the beginning of the season, but had no success. Why? Because nobody wanted her straight-up, for the reasons I listed. A minuscule sample size of minutes does not magically go back in time and change that Boyette was the main part of this deal. You can speculate all you want, but these are the facts.

and I'm not replying to the rest of your attempts to break up my post and take what I said out of context. Troll harder next time.

Really, she is the perfect fit then for the Dream - which is a team of players nobody else wanted in a city nobody wants to play in.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/12/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, Chicago gets Dolson, Copper, and Coates in exchange for EDD. Dolson is an All-Star, Copper could be their long-term solution at SF, and Coates has potential. Having Dolson and Coates is what encouraged the Sky to trade Boyette in a deal that probably nets them a lottery pick in a strong draft. Could it be that EDD demanding a trade is the best thing that ever happened to the Sky? Laughing

Hard to imagine a team trading away a superstar and coming off of it as well as the Sky have.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/12/17 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Hard to imagine a team trading away a superstar and coming off of it as well as the Sky have.

It's hard to believe, but the team is working so much better without a "star" on the team. Everything seems balanced on the Sky. I'll be interesting to see how Coates fits into the rotation next season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UK1996

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA must be kicking the shit out of themselves with the season Sloot is having.

PostPosted: 08/12/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Team USA must be kicking the shit out of themselves with the season Sloot is having.

TBH - I suspect they are so arrogant that they don't really care about it or even know about it.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

sigur3 wrote:

There's nothing more trolly than posting "wrong" without explanation, and then coming up with that over an hour later. Yikes. Simple question: does Young help a playoff push more than Hooper does? If so, it would be inaccurate to say as you did "Cooper didn't want Young".

I never said or implied that Young was the main reason for this trade. I said she is more useful than Hooper. Now that's a fact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 25 of 28

Jump to: