Chicago Sky 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 10/08/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
In general, I don't get the Jenna O'Hea love. She'll be 30 next year, she hasn't shot more than 40% in the WNBA for the past two seasons, and she's never had a PER at an average level in her entire career.

Yes, she is a good three-point shooter, and that's rarer than it should be. But to think she's going to solve any any team's serious problems seems to me to be extremely optimistic.

Maybe it's because she's Australian, maybe it's because she's white, but many people seem to think she's better than her history suggests, and I can't quite figure out why.

No one's asking Jenna to be a 25 minute 15 ppg scorer.Just a 14-18 minute role player off the bench.Jenna is the #1 active 3ptfg shooter & 6th all-time at 41%.Jenna's a very good defender.She has the size,length & lateral quickness to compete with the better wing players in the league.

In her last three seasons, she's 77 for 204 (37.7%) from three and as mentioned, she'll be 30 next year.

And I have to say I don't see her as being able to compete with the better wing players in the league ... she's about even with the reserves, perhaps, but she's only started 21 out of the 153 games she's played in the WNBA.

Not fair,Jenna's 31% 3ptfg% this season skews her overall percentage for the prior 3 seasons.Jenna had the 4th best 3ptfg% in 2014(.403),and 9th best percentage in 2015(.383) Shooters need rhythm,repetition and consistent minutes.O'Hea battled some injuries this season,so her practice/playing time was erratic.The sudden drop in percentage is just a one year aberration.I don't believe wear and tear is a concern.O'Hea has accumulated just 2494 minutes in 159 career games.Like really Laughing Laughing you're pointing out that O'Hea will turn 30 next season Laughing,Jenna just turned 29 yrs old four months ago.I could run off a list of SG/SF that are older and have more mileage.I'm not calling O'Hea a defensive stopper,but she's a better deterrent than most of the SF's in the league.There are not many above average defenders that can also shoot 40% from 3pt range.Futhermore,How many games O'Hea has started is irrelevant.

Jenna shot 39% from 3pt range during the 2014/2015 seasons despite the highest scorer on seattle averaging only 12.9 ppg. Imagine how many open looks Jenna would get playing alongside Edd/Vanderloot/Faulkner/Pondexter.

Truth be told,a healthy O'Hea could start for some teams.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/09/16 5:24 am; edited 4 times in total
Richard 77

PostPosted: 10/08/16 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just heard from a friend in Chicago, to which I agree with them. The first thing the Sky needs is a new President.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
zune69

PostPosted: 10/08/16 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Age/Gms/minutes for SG/SF (regular & postseason combined)

Taurasi----34 414 13157
Pondexter-33 395 12854
Beard------34 362 10993
Augustus--32 335 10407
Perkins----34 393 9858
Bonner----29 303 8958
Currie-----33 356 8754
Angel-----30 289 8464
Moore-----27 245 7711
Toliver----29 267 7185
Zellous----30 292 6661
Coleman--29 292 6335
Young-----30 289 6296
Carson----29 291 5923
AJavon----30 303 5548
Prince-----28 199 5425
Christmas-28 209 4632
Hayes-----27 167 4525
Johnson---25 173 3879
Wright----28 306 3767
Stricklen--26 168 3163
Quigley---30 188 3077
Clark------29 159 3041
Tierra-RP--25 140 2745
Rogers----26 140 2539
O'Hea-----29 159 2494
Hill--------26 110 2251
Pohlen----27 139 1775
Hooper--- 24 102 1570
Faris------25 112 1312

retired:
Catchings-37 525 16696
Cash------37 535 14992
Taylor-----35 405 10930

Less than 100 games played:

Copper
Allen
Cloud
Mitchell
KML
Laney
Dabovic
Dubljelic
Gwathmey
Hamby
Holmes
Knight
Peters
Loyd
Petrovic
Sims
Lucus
Powers
Simmons
Taylor
Thomas
Williams
Wheeler

sigur3

PostPosted: 10/09/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1) dump de Souza
2) ?
3) Profit!

pilight

PostPosted: 11/22/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Audacity Of Height

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnw-delledonne161122/chicago-sky-elena-delle-donne-spent-years-learning-accept-height

Quote:
People sometimes think she's bland -- I was warned she was a boring interview -- but it's not true. What's true is that she has learned to stay quiet. She's learned that people aren't really interested in the truth of your experience if it doesn't confirm their theories about you.

PostPosted: 11/22/16 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Audacity Of Height

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnw-delledonne161122/chicago-sky-elena-delle-donne-spent-years-learning-accept-height

Quote:
People sometimes think she's bland -- I was warned she was a boring interview -- but it's not true. What's true is that she has learned to stay quiet. She's learned that people aren't really interested in the truth of your experience if it doesn't confirm their theories about you.

Nice article, we get a little more insight on her and made me laugh.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 11/22/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good article. But being from the Chicago area I've heard many interviews with her and she's very boring. Razz

PostPosted: 12/06/16 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A nice article, summarizing 2016 season and looking forward to 2017 season.
And noticing Elena Delle Donne has not been signed for next year.

http://www.fanragsports.com/womens/2016-wnba-season-recap-chicago-sky/

toad455

PostPosted: 12/06/16 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

They can't announce her re-signing until Feb, assuming the Sky plan to.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/06/16 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:

From that article:
Quote:
2016 Regular-Season Record: 18-16 (second in Western Conference)

Postseason: Defeated Atlanta Dream in second round, Lost to Los Angeles Sparks 3-0 in WNBA Semifinals...

The Sky is in the Western Conference? Rolling Eyes

Aside from that, interesting article.

PostPosted: 12/06/16 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
From that article:
Quote:

Postseason: Defeated Atlanta Dream in second round, Lost to Los Angeles Sparks 3-0 in WNBA Semifinals...

Sorry, I missed that;

Shocked Shocked Shocked Confused Sad

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/06/16 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

From that article:
Quote:

I guess whoever wrote it is an NHL fan.

(now with spelling variations)
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/08/16 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noticed Chicago put out a advertisement for season tickets. Elena Delle Donne is the largest figure on the advertisement. I cannot imagine they would not
re-sign her with that kind of promotion. The Chicago fans would go nuts.

Chicago administration would not be that dumb would they?

(Comment after Pilight announced a new coach was hired)

Not happy about a person to run a basketball team with no head coaching experience Question Question

Last edited by UofDel_Alum on 12/08/16 5:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 12/08/16 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Sky to hire Amber Stocks as new head coach

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/12/8/13891026/sources-chicago-sky-hire-amber-stocks

Quote:
This will be the first head coaching position for Stocks

PostPosted: 12/08/16 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Chicago Sky to hire Amber Stocks as new head coach

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/12/8/13891026/sources-chicago-sky-hire-amber-stocks

Quote:
This will be the first head coaching position for Stocks

It looks like her bio is:

University of Cincinnati - four-time Bearcat Scholar honoree, three-time Defensive Player Award recipient and helped lead the Bearcats to a Conference USA Championship. She graduated in 1999 with a bachelor’s degree in health promotion and education
1999-2000 Notre Dame strength and conditioning coach
2000-2002 director of basketball operations for the University of Tennessee Lady Vols
2002-2009 assistant WBB coach at Xavier
2009-2013 director and head coach of the Tucson HEAT Basketball Association in Arizona (The Tucson HEAT is a non-profit club basketball team for boys and girls from grades 3-12.)
2014-2015 men’s and women’s basketball analyst for ESPN3 and Big East Digital Network
2015-2016 LA Sparks assistant coach

Shades

PostPosted: 12/08/16 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The two newest WNBA coaches have been Sparks assistants

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/09/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN has confirmed the hiring of Amber Stocks. The public announcement is Tuesday.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/09/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty weird to hire someone with no head coaching experience, but sometimes you can get lucky pulling a rabbit out of a hat. At least she has been around the game in some capacity for quite a long time and surely learned something under Agler. I'm willing to let her show what she's got.
And frankly when you consider all the re-treads, it's kind of hard to get excited about anybody out there.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Pretty weird to hire someone with no head coaching experience, but sometimes you can get lucky pulling a rabbit out of a hat. At least she has been around the game in some capacity for quite a long time and surely learned something under Agler. I'm willing to let her show what she's got.
And frankly when you consider all the re-treads, it's kind of hard to get excited about anybody out there.

There's a fine line between someone with no coaching experience and a retread.

PostPosted: 12/09/16 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

There's a fine line between someone with no coaching experience and a retread.

What is going to be of interest to me is to see how Amber handles the team. If there was a difference between Pokey and EDD it was Pokey liked to be an X and O's type of coach on offense. Elena has publicly stated she would like the team to play as a team. That is how she played at Univ. of Delaware.

EDD feels the team played better when they had a fast break off the boards and not set up into a particular offense. EDD would like to see more passing on offense. As an example since I know EDD best she likes to make up her own mind if she wants the ball at the 3-point line or in the paint. On the base line or at the free throw line. She realizes a team will defend her a certain way at the beginning of a game and in the middle of the game a team will change how they defend her. She is a very intelligent player and she can recognize very quickly a weakness of a defense.

Two things are very important to EDD, TEAM BOND AND TEAM CHEMISTRY. She feels this is more important than X's and O's. If Amber works these two things into Chicago's offense Amber will do well. Chicago has very talented guards that pass very well and think on their feet. This can help with team bond and chemistry.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/09/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting comment...I always thought Pokey was really, really weak in the x's and o's department. A lot of times it just looked like "hand the ball to EDD and see what she can manufacture" with no help from screens, pick and rolls, pick and pops, team movement, etc... Now you're saying just the opposite.

- Amanda Gorman
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 12/09/16 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
maybe a trade of Breland for a SF might benefit the Sky?

I like it, but I'm remembering that Geno played EDD at center for some minutes with Stewart at the Power Forward. And the Sky tried some small lineups having the 3 guards out there, with Breland and EDD. I think they like the option of having Breland around at PF for close out. Her play is very good for being on shorter minutes.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 12/09/16 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Interesting comment...I always thought Pokey was really, really weak in the x's and o's department. A lot of times it just looked like "hand the ball to EDD and see what she can manufacture" with no help from screens, pick and rolls, pick and pops, team movement, etc... Now you're saying just the opposite.

I believe you are agreeing with me myrtle. The offense under Pokey at times did just consist of giving the ball to EDD and let her manufacture points. That was the play Pokey was calling. That made EDD play against five players. A lot of pressure on her. EDD wants the team to recognize the best way to defeat a defense. EDD wants the team to be so close the will play with no verbal communication. The team knows what they have to do by working together to break a defense. No pre-existing X's and O's.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/09/16 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I believe you are agreeing with me myrtle. The offense under Pokey at times did just consist of giving the ball to EDD and let her manufacture points. That was the play Pokey was calling. That made EDD play against five players.

That doesn't sound like a play and if Pokey was doing that she doesn't sound like an "X's and O's coach".

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/10/16 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! Turning over a contending professional basketball team with one of the best players in the world to a person with no head coaching experience. Must have been a hotly contested job...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: