RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Leslie & Swoopes- Top Snubs for 50 Greatest Black Athlet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/10/17 12:11 pm    ::: Leslie & Swoopes- Top Snubs for 50 Greatest Black Athlet Reply Reply with quote

Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Althea Gibson and Jack Johnson are among the other glaring omissions.

Quote:
On July, 30, 2002 — six years, three months and six days after the WNBA was founded — 6-foot-5 Lisa Leslie became the first woman in league history to dunk in a game. Three years later, she became the first WNBA player to dunk in the All-Star Game. That distinction, being the first, became a staple of Leslie’s 12-year career, spent entirely with the Los Angeles Sparks. Leslie became the first player in league history to reach 3,000 points, 4,000 points and 6,000 points and the first to achieve the career milestone of 10,000 PRA (points plus rebounds plus assists). It’s hard to think of women’s basketball without Leslie, a three-time WNBA MVP and four-time Olympic gold medalist. Legendary University of Connecticut and Team USA women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma once called Leslie “a once-in-a-lifetime player” — and for good reason. For quite some time, before retiring from the game in 2009, Leslie was the queen of the WNBA — the queen of basketball.

Quote:
▪ Sheryl Swoopes, a former four-time WNBA champion, three-time WNBA MVP and three-time Olympic gold medalist, was the first player to be signed by the league on Oct. 23, 1996. In 2016, to celebrate its 20th anniversary, the WNBA announced the league’s top 20 players of all time, with Swoopes making the cut.

https://theundefeated.com/features/50-greatest-black-athletes-top-snubs/

Below is a link to the list:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Jackie Robinson
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Willie Mays
5. Jesse Owens
6. Serena Williams
7. Hank Aaron
8. Simone Biles
9. Gabby Douglas
10. Jerry Rice
11. Magic Johnson
12. Walter Payton
13. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
14. Usain Bolt
15. Venus Williams
16. Shaquille O’Neal
17. Julius Erving
18. Satchel Paige
19. Emmitt Smith
20. Gale Sayers
21. Wilma Rudolph
22. Pele’
23. Joe Louis
24. Sugar Ray Leonard
25. Bo Jackson
26. Wilt Chamberlain
27. Jackie Joyner-Kersee
28. Stephen Curry
29. LeBron James
30. Jim Brown
31. Michael Johnson
32. Carl Lewis
33. Florence Griffith Joyner
34. Herschel Walker
35. George Foreman
36. Bill Russell
37. Ken Griffey Jr.
38. Arthur Ashe
39. Ray Robinson
40. Roberto Clemente
41. Ernie Banks
42. Larry Fitzgerald
43. Reggie Jackson
44. Barry Sanders
45. Joe Frazier
46. David Robinson
47. Derek Jeter
48. Earl Campbell
49. Isiah Thomas
50. Tim Duncan

http://theundefeated.com/features/50-greatest-black-athletes/?addata=espn:frontpage

PostPosted: 08/10/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Must have been picked by some men who just don't give the WNBA any love or credit. The 6 females on the list are in other sports. Simone Biles was in 1 Olympic games and Gabby Douglas was in 2 Olympics. I could see Gabby being on the list because she was the 1st AA to win the All around Gold in gymnastics.

Lisa and Swoops should have definantely been on the list and I bet they would have if they played another sport! Shame, Shame.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/10/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The list was actually picked by Survey Monkey through a series of surveys. The methodology and scoring were both questionable to me. The surveys started out with a list of 200 athletes and were reduced to 60 scored on 4 separate factors:

1) Best Athlete
2) Dominance
3) Inspiration
4) Impact on society

Once the field was reduced to 60 additional surveys were conducted to rank the 60 in each category and combine the rankings to come up with the greatest athlete list. Because this was done through public survey historical figures (Althea Gibson. Jack Johnson) performed poorly. Tiger Woods' snub is the most egregious to me, and it shows this to be in many ways a popularity poll more than anything else. As for the snubs of Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes, I think this says more about the popularity of women's basketball than anything else. To read more about the methodology see the following link:

[url]https://theundefeated.com/features/crunching-the-numbers-on-50-greatest-black-athletes/
[/url]

When I saw that the list had been compiled I made up my own list before I looked at the list itself. I included Lisa Leslie at #35 and did not include Swoopes. I actually would have included Cheryl Miller before Swoopes, but she and Cynthia Cooper were also among those I considered.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Must have been picked by some men who just don't give the WNBA any love or credit. The 6 females on the list are in other sports. Simone Biles was in 1 Olympic games and Gabby Douglas was in 2 Olympics. I could see Gabby being on the list because she was the 1st AA to win the All around Gold in gymnastics.

Lisa and Swoops should have definantely been on the list and I bet they would have if they played another sport! Shame, Shame.

There are 7 women, 2 from tennis (Williams sisters), 2 from gymnastics (Biles and Douglas), and 3 from track (Rudolph, Joyner-Kersey, and Griffith-Joyner).

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are no WNBA stars on this list because the sports news media of the U.S. does not respect the WNBA.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:30 pm    ::: Re: Leslie & Swoopes- Top Snubs for 50 Greatest Black At Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Althea Gibson and Jack Johnson are among the other glaring omissions.

golf is not an athletic sports.

PostPosted: 08/10/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's an athlet?

PostPosted: 08/10/17 6:07 pm    ::: Re: Leslie & Swoopes- Top Snubs for 50 Greatest Black At Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

golf is not an athletic sports.

Even if you take that criteria, Woods should rank top three of all-time (at WORST) on the other three factors:

2) Dominance
3) Inspiration
4) Impact on society

PostPosted: 08/11/17 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a crime that Althea Gibson isn't on this list.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: