RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/03/16 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims for Bone is an interesting idea. I'm just thinking Phoenix threw away a dynamic young guard in C. Williams in order to get Bone...for some totally unknown reason. Now would they turn around and trade her for a young dynamic guard - more proven of course - in Sims?

Phoenix is aging rapidly...so they gonna need to do something in the next couple of years. #5 in next year's draft may be a useful piece if they use it smartly and perhaps if someone ahead of them lets a jewel drop... but the jewels look a little thin in next year's draft.

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/03/16 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Sims for Bone is an interesting idea. I'm just thinking Phoenix threw away a dynamic young guard in C. Williams in order to get Bone...for some totally unknown reason. Now would they turn around and trade her for a young dynamic guard - more proven of course - in Sims?

Phoenix is aging rapidly...so they gonna need to do something in the next couple of years. #5 in next year's draft may be a useful piece if they use it smartly and perhaps if someone ahead of them lets a jewel drop... but the jewels look a little thin in next year's draft.

Well, they have a young center and an aging guard..and a retired guard. It would probably be very easy to build around a Griner/Sims duo.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Well, they have a young center and an aging guard..and a retired guard. It would probably be very easy to build around a Griner/Sims duo.

True. But I also had some idea that the relationship between Sims and Griner at Baylor wasn't all honey and roses. They did work well together obviously and maybe that's enough, but I'm not sure about off court chemistry. Kinda like the same thing about Diggins and McBride. Just because they played in college together doesn't mean they love each other. [not trying to start any rumors, and maybe they do in fact have a great relationship - just my observations]

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 10/03/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol @ trading Sims for Bone.

Sims for Stokes ? Yes
Sims for Lavender ? Yes
Sims for E.Williams ? Yes
Sims for Boyette ? Yes
Sims for #1 pick ? Yes
Sims for Dolson ? Maybe
Sims for Robinson/Alexander ? Yes
Sims for Bone ? Hell No!!!

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/03/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi has still 2 years left on her contract. I can see her honoring those. I dont see her going to any other team (even the Storm).
They still have some nice talent on this team if Griner can take that next step and play like a dominant center consistently. She still isnt the number 1 of this team. If the Mercury want to make the playoffs next year that has to happen and Taurasi needs to do less.

This team still has arguable the best or 2nd best center in the world and the best shooting guard. I think a lot of teams would have those 2 as their first and 2nd option (Mystics, Sun, Dallas and the Fever dont have those kind of starplayers IMO). They have to put the right pieces around those 2.

Bonner has to step up again after a pretty bad season and it might be best to trade Dupree for that to happen. Trade Dupree and their draftpick for DRob?? Go after Langhorne if the Storm doesnt core her? Give Harrison some more playing time to see her grow. Also very important is to get a better bench. Xargay and Petrovic can be usefull. It's time to let Bass go. Harden can go aswell. Not a bad starting line-up and much better defensive line-up aswell with DRob, Bonner and Griner

PG: DRob
SG: Taurasi
SF: Bonner
PF: Harrison (Langhorne if they can get her)
C: Griner

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SCook

PostPosted: 10/03/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

True. But I also had some idea that the relationship between Sims and Griner at Baylor wasn't all honey and roses. They did work well together obviously and maybe that's enough, but I'm not sure about off court chemistry. Kinda like the same thing about Diggins and McBride. Just because they played in college together doesn't mean they love each other. [not trying to start any rumors, and maybe they do in fact have a great relationship - just my observations]

The crazy thing is, BG and O were close at Baylor and retained that closeness until the whole Glojo - BG divorce pregnancy saga happened. A ton of things changed with them after that. They are still "cool" or maybe say "friends" but just not as tight as they used to be.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi says Mercury need to toughen up after disappointing season

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/taurasi-says-mercury-need-to-toughen-up-after-disappointing-season-100316

Quote:
"We have to get tougher on the interior. I think that's a weakness throughout the season that just hurt us way too much," Taurasi said. "We need people to come in and give them (centers and forwards) a hand and do the things to win games to be on a consistent basis."

Quote:
"I'll be the first one to look in the mirror and evaluate the things that I didn't do well, what I brought to the locker room, what I didn't," Taurasi said. "I think this year, personally I didn't do as much as was needed. For whatever reason, I can make excuses but I just didn't have it and I think that trickled down to everyone else."

Quote:
"We've got some work to do. We have some really promising players that came in this year and showed us some really good things for spurts throughout the season. So we got some stuff to build on and I'm excited about things we can add and things we can change to make it even better."

Quote:
"It's going to be a very strange year with Penny retiring," said Taurasi, "how much she's done for this franchise and our team, winning three titles. She's been the heart and soul of this team for so long so that's going to be a big void that we're going to have to fill in the offseason. I think roster-wise there's a few things that we need to shore up to get back to that championship. I think we can do that."

Although Taylor is gone, Taurasi plans to return for her 13th season.

"It's (retirement) definitely a lot closer than it was a little bit ago, but i'm still enjoying it I still love the process. I think I've learned a lot about myself this season -- good and bad that will make me better next season."

basketballologist

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade proposed

Phoenix receive:
Danielle Robinson and the 1st overall pick

San Antonio receive:
Brittany Griner

I say this because Phoenix need a true point guard to put Taurasi back at her normal 2 position. Bone is more than capable of starting at the 5 with Harrison, Bass, and George coming off the bench. And San Antonio desperately need a big. Brittney does nothing for me. She had the worst stats since her rookie season. Her technicals and soft play hurt the team.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's probably a 0% chance Phoenix trades Griner for a point guard coming off an injury and the #1 pick in a weak draft.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
There's probably a 0% chance Phoenix trades Griner

Pretty sure you could have stopped there

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Probably a >0% chance that she makes a 'trade me or I don't play' demand and they find something somewhere they're willing to take. But yeah, it's not high. San Antonio would bite their hand off for the deal mentioned above.

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Offensively she's mediocre. She hasn't improved since Baylor. Defensively she pick up cheap fouls and she seems lost at time

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/05/16 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Probably a >0% chance that she makes a 'trade me or I don't play' demand and they find something somewhere they're willing to take. But yeah, it's not high. San Antonio would bite their hand off for the deal mentioned above.

Yeah. Pretty sure if Phoenix asked "who are you willing to give us for Griner?", SA would reply with "Who do you want--up to and including our entire team?".

PostPosted: 10/05/16 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Yeah. Pretty sure if Phoenix asked "who are you willing to give us for Griner?", SA would reply with "Who do you want--up to and including our entire team?".

And then they'd add "We'll even take Ann Meyers off your hands"

PostPosted: 10/05/16 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bone has ability and talent but she's a" head case " and high maintenance. Sometimes, players like this come around and sometimes not. She's been a "team problem" throughout both her college and WNBA careers...

And, having BG and Bone on the same team, the coaches will earn their pay - especially should DT take leave.

Ruth: No Bone for SAS, even though a big Center is needed.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/06/16 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think January could work in PX

Bone and #5 for January? With Catch leaving it might time for Indy to go into rebuilding mode, there will be some good guards still on the board at #5, Scaife at #5 to join Mitchell seems like pretty interesting back-court for Indy in the future.

January, joining DT, Bonner and Griner would keep PX in the mix, January brings that hard nosed attitude that PX seems to lack.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/06/16 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Bone and #5 for January? With Catch leaving it might time for Indy to go into rebuilding mode, there will be some good guards still on the board at #5, Scaife at #5 to join Mitchell seems like pretty interesting back-court for Indy in the future.

January, joining DT, Bonner and Griner would keep PX in the mix, January brings that hard nosed attitude that PX seems to lack.

This is highway robbery.January is fearless,a beast defender,and clutch playoff performer.January also has a successful playoff history against minnesota.Phoenix would make this trade is a second.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/06/16 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

This is highway robbery.January is fearless,a beast defender,and clutch playoff performer.January also has a successful playoff history against minnesota.Phoenix would make this trade is a second.

Really? I must really be missing something with January for that trade to be highway robbery for Phoenix.

PostPosted: 10/06/16 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Really? I must really be missing something with January for that trade to be highway robbery for Phoenix.

Bone is out of shape,a bad defender and a lockerroom malcontent.If Deshields does not declare for the wnba draft,the 5th pick will be a fringe wnba player at best.Getting January would give phoenix a ball handler,driver,great on ball defender,team defender and great 3pt shooter(40% last 5 seasons).Briann is experienced and battle tested,just ask L.Whalen.Acquiring January would lessen the load on Taurasi.

Briann January is a difference maker,Kelsey Bone is not.If you gave wnba GM's a choice of January or Bone plus the #5 pick,I believe every GM would take January.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/06/16 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/16 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
there will be some good guards still on the board at #5,

Then PHX should draft one, but not Scaife. She's rated too high by draftsite.com

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/06/16 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a trade proposed

Phoenix receive:
Danielle Robinson and the 1st overall pick

San Antonio receive:
Brittany Griner

I say this because Phoenix need a true point guard to put Taurasi back at her normal 2 position. Bone is more than capable of starting at the 5 with Harrison, Bass, and George coming off the bench. And San Antonio desperately need a big. Brittney does nothing for me. She had the worst stats since her rookie season. Her technicals and soft play hurt the team.

Please trade BG to Indiana. Our guards play defense and she will definitely get more touches in the post. We would be glad to have her
Very Happy .

miller40

PostPosted: 10/06/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

January doesn't want to leave Indiana, and I really doubt Indiana wants to get rid of her... especially for Kelsey Bone.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/06/16 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oooooh please let the Mercury steal January, she played in PHX in college, fans would love it, just let them get rid of Bone and Bonner.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/06/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Oooooh please let the Mercury steal January, she played in PHX in college, fans would love it, just let them get rid of Bone and Bonner.

Based on the history between January and Diana, I dont think that she would want to come to PHX. However,I am for Bonner in Indiana!!! She could give us scoring and defense on the perimeter. That would mean that PHX wouldn't have anyone to replace Diana. That happening would not surprise me. PHX never builds for the future. Phoenix should to like they always do. Trade away players that can help them with the "toughness" that they lack(i.e. Mo Currie).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: