RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tally24

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:18 pm    ::: Phoenix Mercury 2017 Reply Reply with quote

I don't even know where to start because it is clear that something has to change, but what that is, I have no clue.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, you can start with no Penny Taylor. Most likely that means Bonner will be forced to start. Not looking good.

I've been thinking Taurasi should force herself to SEA to play SF with Bird, Loyd, and Stewart. Might not win but maybe she can have fun again.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, I see Taurasi staying with Phoenix until she retires. Their bench needs an overall now. Bass stays as should Harrison. But anyone else is disposable.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Nah, I see Taurasi staying with Phoenix until she retires. Their bench needs an overall now. Bass stays as should Harrison. But anyone else is disposable.

Can MIN have dibs on Xargay, even though we don't have room for all these players fans don't care about.

You need starter quality on the bench to compete, and I'm not sure Bass fits that bill.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Can MIN have dibs on Xargay, even though we don't have room for all these players fans don't care about.

You need starter quality on the bench to compete, and I'm not sure Bass fits that bill.

Xargay will still start next season. They have no guards off the bench,.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Until otherwise proven wrong, I'm going to assume Phoenix will clear the decks and shit the bed to position themselves better for the 2018 draft.

(now with spelling variations)
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/02/16 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First things first, bye Sandy. Please. So many issues with her season. Her rotations are awful. Just awful. She didn't know how to help out Diana and Penny offensively. They're still great players, but they're getting older. Diana is lethal in the PnR and off screens, she's not so lethal in creating her shot anymore..so why did the offense so often deteriorate into Diana (or Penny) trying to create for themselves. At least with Gaines, we had a good offense, even if our defense sucked. Both sides of the ball sucked for large stretches this season. Honestly, one of the worst coaching performances I've ever seen.

Guards, we've got Diana (assuming she even wants to come back. She didn't look that thrilled this season.) I like Marta. I want to keep Marta. She's young, she's already our best defensive player. If she'd just learn to shoot she'd be great. We need at lease one guard.

Forwards, we've got DeWanna and Dupree. We're going to need two more. I'm not sure I want it to be any of the ones we've got.

Center, there is Griner. Harrison seems like a possible future player, but I think we need backup, or we need the two forwards we get to give us the ability to go small.

So..all in all, new coach, at least one new guard, two forwards, and maybe a backup center.

That's not asking for a lot. Laughing

So who would I want?

Coach: I wouldn't be opposed to giving Troxel a shot at a head coaching position. My hope though, is that New York cuts ties with Laimbeer..we need a Bill/Diana tandem for a little bit. It would be a shame for them to retire without working together. Laughing Plus, he's great with post players. Outside of those two..Outside of that, I'd like to see if there are any NBA assistants available that would be interesting.

Guards: I suggested Hartley, and I still favor her as a possible target. Although coming off of having a baby, and being inconsistent as it is (although part of that is likely do to playing time), that might not wonderful. But she'd be playing behind Diana and Marta. She's got a lot of talent, and she's able to play both positions. She's also a pretty good defensive player. She's buried behind some guards in Washington, so she's a possible get. I also wouldn't mind Leilani. We need defense and shooting, and she doesn't provide defense, but she sure provides steadiness and shooting. Erin is another possibility.

Forwards: I've got no idea. But like I said, we need really simple basketball things..shooting and defense. I suppose Petrovic might be a keeper, but I'm not convinced. (It's also possible to play DT at the three sometimes, but we need a power forward more than anything. )

Finally, I'm so sad to see Penny go. She's been a part of "My team" in all but two years that I've been watching the WNBA, and she is certainly one of my absolute favorite players of all time. (Probably top 3). I wish this could have ended better for her. But if we're all honest with ourselves, we weren't beating Minnesota, even at our best.

PostPosted: 10/02/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner & Bonner were less than 100% for most of the season.I believe both players will have bounceback seasons in 2017,especially Griner.Taurasi had a inconsistent season.Despite losing a half-step,Diana should put up 17-19 pts next season.Dupree got fat during the off season,she's trade bait.The mercury need to change their style of play.Become a more defensive half court basketball team.Be patient on offense.Cut down on the quick shots early in the shot clock.Make Griner the #1 option,Diana the 2nd option and Bonner the 3rd option.I'm not so sure Brondello is the problem.The mercury won the championship in 2014,then won 20 games without Taurasi/Taylor in 2015.I just think they had a down season

Keep:
Griner
Taurasi
Bonner
Xargay
Harrison
1st rd pick

Trade Bait:
Bone
Dupree
Bass
Petrovic
Harden

Possible acquisitions:

PG:
D.Robinson
B.Kiesel

SG:

M.Wright (Hope she has a bounceback season)

SF:
J.O'Hea (Space the floor for Griner & Taurasi)
R.Allen (Space the floor for Griner & Taurasi)
M.Currie (Phoenix won 20 games with MO last season)
S.Stricklen

PF:
N.Achonwa (would be great playing alongside Griner)
V.Baugh (Hope she has a bounceback season)
J.Breland (Start her at PF)
C.Little
C.Langhorne
D.Peters (Hope she has a bounceback season)

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/02/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix retained their first round pick in the 2017 draft, right? Where do they currently pick in the first round?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/02/16 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Phoenix retained their first round pick in the 2017 draft, right? Where do they currently pick in the first round?

5th I believe

Has Dee mentioned whether she'll be back next season?
After a busy 2016 for her I could easily see her opting for a summer off again next WNBA season.

Either way it's definitely time for rebuild mode now.

PostPosted: 10/02/16 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

This draft is interesting. If Vivians comes out, I'd like to draft her.
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

Vivians would have a shot to go higher than 5. Has nice size and skill. I also think PHX picks lower than 5.

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

Vivians would have a shot to go higher than 5. Has nice size and skill. I also think PHX picks lower than 5.

The most interesting thing about this draft, that will make any planning during the off season by teams pretty hard, is that so much depends on who comes out early.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

8th seed in playoff equals #5 pick exactly.

Would Vivians bump Greenwell out of the lottery for you? Wink

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

Whoops thought they traded it. But, I prefer Vivians to DeShields.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully we get better value from our #5 than we did a few years ago at #6

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is really impressed by Vivians. I feel like she has a really high ceiling.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

After a busy 2016 for her I could easily see her opting for a summer off again next WNBA season.

If the Merc are rebuilding, and DT is thinking about a break again..she probably should try and join the Seattle team. Play out her final years with Sue, teach Stewie how to swear..and they'd actually be pretty good. (Granted, Phoenix should still be pretty good too, but you never know considering they should have been pretty good this season..) I doubt she does that to Phoenix or Brit specifically, but it might make her happier for the final years of her career.

PostPosted: 10/02/16 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

If the Merc are rebuilding, and DT is thinking about a break again..she probably should try and join the Seattle team. Play out her final years with Sue, teach Stewie how to swear..and they'd actually be pretty good. (Granted, Phoenix should still be pretty good too, but you never know considering they should have been pretty good this season..) I doubt she does that to Phoenix or Brit specifically, but it might make her happier for the final years of her career.

I wouldn't hold it against her if she wanted to do that. It felt to me like her heart was not fully in it this WNBA season. She seemed to enjoy Rio though.
The Mercury need to address life without Dee either way, because one way or another an era will be ending fairly soon.

PostPosted: 10/02/16 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

I wouldn't hold it against her if she wanted to do that. It felt to me like her heart was not fully in it this WNBA season. She seemed to enjoy Rio though.
The Mercury need to address life without Dee either way, because one way or another an era will be ending fairly soon.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it was to be honest. I was thinking maybe it Was her first time in her career where she was faced with people she is close to (and are close to her age) retiring between Penny, Catch, and Swin. Maybe facing a little bit of her reality head on.

PostPosted: 10/02/16 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm liking Zune's ideas up above. Lots of those scenarios could be interesting and have potential to make for a better season.

I thought I read a while back that Taurasi is signed through 2017, so I assume she'll be back. IMO she'll finish out her career in PHX...who knows if it'll be in 1 more season or if she'll stick around for 2-3.

sigur3

PostPosted: 10/02/16 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is really impressed by Vivians. I feel like she has a really high ceiling.

For sure. I don't think I'd go as far as saying I'd prefer her to DeShields, but I think with proper coaching she could be a pretty good pro. The talent and physical tools are definitely there.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/16 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Hmmm.... I'm not sure about that one at all. Would you recommend Vivians as a #1 pick to SAN? Hughes isn't there anymore. Wink

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Hmmm.... I'm not sure about that one at all. Would you recommend Vivians as a #1 pick to SAN? Hughes isn't there anymore. Wink

No. They'd probably have to trade down. If they wanted to trade down, this would be the year to do so. DeShields does some things better than her, but, Vivians does some things that are better than Diamond. Let's see the kind of years both have then we could see. The few times I've been able to see VV, I was impressed. She played well in the tourney, until that UConn game of course.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

5th I believe

If Taurasi's heart wasn't in this season, just think about how it'll be without her ride or die there.

BUT, Taylor did mention she wanted to learn coaching under Brondello (hint, hint). Bring back Taylor as an assistant? That would require Brondello staying on as head coach, which some people don't like. But come on, Brondello should be out of a job while Williams keeps his? Talk about an injustice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: