RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 First Round Draftees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 08/26/17 3:12 pm    ::: 2017 First Round Draftees Reply Reply with quote

So, we have had plenty of discussion about whether Plum is a bust and plenty arguing about ROTY, but not much of an overall assessment of rookies in this year's draft. I've listed them below (because some may be long gone, or glued to the bench.)

The question is - which ones are safe to call busts now and which ones aren't and what their ceilings might be. I've bolded the ones I think are potential all stars, italics for potential starters or perhaps role players and the remaining ones are my guess as to probably not having a long or noteworthy WNBA career (i.e. a bust). I left Coates out because she hasn't played yet.

1 San Antonio logo San Antonio Kelsey Plum G Washington 5' 8"
3 Dallas logo Dallas Evelyn Akhator C Kentucky 6' 3"
4 Dallas logo Dallas Trade Icon Allisha Gray* G South Carolina 6' 0"
5 San Antonio logo San Antonio Trade Icon Nia Coffey F Northwestern 6' 1"
6 Washington logo Washington Trade Icon Shatori Walker-Kimbrough G Maryland 5' 11"
7 Atlanta logo Atlanta Brittney Sykes G Syracuse 5' 9"
8 Connecticut logo Connecticut Trade Icon Brionna Jones C Maryland 6' 3"
9 Chicago logo Chicago Tori Jankoska G Michigan State 5' 8"
10 Dallas logo Dallas Trade Icon Kaela Davis* G South Carolina 6' 2"
11 Los Angeles logo Los Angeles Trade Icon Sydney Wiese G Oregon State 6' 1"
12 Minnesota logo Minnesota Alexis Jones G Baylor 5' 9"

I based this one what I've seen when they play, their numbers and how much they have played for their respective teams. I'm not as sure about A. Jones, Wiese or SWK as some of the rest. Haven't seen much of SWK, Wiese and A. Jones play for a coach who doesn't play rookies much.

Not an very good draft at all. 2 potential ASG players and a few roles players. The rest may not make more than another year or so.

I would put Lindsey Allen and Chong as potential role players also.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/26/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think SWK can definitely be a role player in the W. Wiese and Jones maybe but we haven't seen enough to tell.

The real trick for most of these gals is to see if they stick once their rookie contracts are up.

While I think A. Gray will definitely have a place in the league, I don't think her play is flashy enough to become an all-star.

And I would like to see Coffey given a shot on a different team, perhaps after she learns a bit overseas.

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 08/26/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tori Jankoska best pick ever

toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Clearly the leading candidate for ROY!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 08/26/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was high on Coffey before the draft and I am still high on her. But she needs to get a 3-point shot and transition fully to playing the 3.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/26/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen SWK alot in college, that girl can score in bunches, i've always said she needs to beef up some weight to go up against these SG/SF in the W. she has the potential no doubt in my mind

RP

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWK held her own as a starter. A little out of control, but can hit 3s, draw fouls, and has the physical tools to become a good defender.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Jankoska will get a second chance on another team next season.

adamj95

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like what Jones brings to the team when she plays but needs to improve in some area. She has some great chemistry with Howard, but tends to dribble into traffic or put up a a bad shot too often. If she can fix that, she can be a good backup in this league.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Hmm, if Jankoska catches on with someone next season, is she eligible for RotY/All-Rookie awards? She was on a team but never actually played this year.

As to the initial question, it's a bit early to be calling anyone a bust. Plenty of good players were pretty awful as rookies. Skylar Diggins was a mess in her first season and is probably going to be first-team All-WNBA, again, this season.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Doesn't that track record make you leery of trading for draft picks and tanking as a strategy? Razz

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/26/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Maybe Amber will learn from that mistake and not draft any Big Ten guards next year Wink

tfan

PostPosted: 08/26/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jankoska has the problem that she is even smaller than Plum (but probably equal to Hammon). The WNBA should send someone out to measure these college stars as to actual vertical reach and arm length. Jankoska would have been pretty low in both categories.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I went back and looked at the first couple pages of the 2017 Mock Draft discussion ... and, sorry Shades, but you made some strong predictions:

1) Nina Davis would be drafted in the first round
2) Diamond DeShields would declare for the draft

The consensus was that the 2017 draft would be weak, but not exceptionally so (again, a Shades' call). I'm tending to the very weak end of the spectrum, but I could be convinced otherwise ...

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signs were pointing towards DeSheilds declaring. It's believed she didn't because she didn't want to play for San Antonio or Chicago.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So I went back and looked at the first couple pages of the 2017 Mock Draft discussion ... and, sorry Shades, but you made some strong predictions:

Yeah, well pretty sure that was said before her senior season even started. Mulkey didn't do her any favors by keeping her at the PF. She's not a PF in the WNBA. Coffey's having similar struggles. Powers is working through hers if she can stay healthy.

ClayK wrote:

That's what she should have done, right? Now she's looking stupid for deciding to leave Tennessee after the draft. Who wasn't predicting her declaring other than a couple Tennessee homers? Not the best point to call me out on.

ClayK wrote:
The consensus was that the 2017 draft would be weak, but not exceptionally so (again, a Shades' call). I'm tending to the very weak end of the spectrum, but I could be convinced otherwise ...

No quotes given here but I may have been trying to keep people from being overly discouraged about the draft. I was definitely not the biggest Plum advocate, and if she was the #1 pick, how good could the class be? It's unusual for the #1 pick not to be a forward or post. Could be a good indicator for the class quality. How did 2015 rate?

But in any case, all these players should be given a little more time to see how they fit in. Sloot and Diggins were declared first year busts by many. It gets tougher and tougher each year to even get the minutes to prove yourself. It may soon get to the point where nobody qualifies for pilight's ROY poll (minimum 20 min). Gray and Sykes benefitted by openings in minutes for them (Sims, Phillips, and McCoughtry out), although Sykes had a little more work to beat out Holmes to earn hers.

You're definitely not one to be playing this game with me, Clay. You make a ton of predictions? You bat a thousand? I could say more about the guy that "had to be convinced" that Gabby Williams was a top 25 college player, but I'll show mercy this time.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As of right now I'd definitely declare this a weak draft class. There's Gray & Sykes as the top two. Then Plum, then Davis. After those four everyone else seems like a bust.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/27/17 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
As of right now I'd definitely declare this a weak draft class. There's Gray & Sykes as the top two. Then Plum, then Davis. After those four everyone else seems like a bust.

per40

Davis
15.6 points, 3.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.2 steals, 4.1 turnovers

Walker-Kimbrough
14.2 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.8 steals, 2 turnovers

Where is the line you draw?

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/27/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah, well pretty sure that was said before her senior season even started. Mulkey didn't do her any favors by keeping her at the PF. She's not a PF in the WNBA. Coffey's having similar struggles. Powers is working through hers if she can stay healthy.

ClayK wrote:

That's what she should have done, right? Now she's looking stupid for deciding to leave Tennessee after the draft. Who wasn't predicting her declaring other than a couple Tennessee homers? Not the best point to call me out on.

ClayK wrote:

No quotes given here but I may have been trying to keep people from being overly discouraged about the draft. I was definitely not the biggest Plum advocate, and if she was the #1 pick, how good could the class be? It's unusual for the #1 pick not to be a forward or post. Could be a good indicator for the class quality. How did 2015 rate?

But in any case, all these players should be given a little more time to see how they fit in. Sloot and Diggins were declared first year busts by many. It gets tougher and tougher each year to even get the minutes to prove yourself. It may soon get to the point where nobody qualifies for pilight's ROY poll (minimum 20 min). Gray and Sykes benefitted by openings in minutes for them (Sims, Phillips, and McCoughtry out), although Sykes had a little more work to beat out Holmes to earn hers.

You're definitely not one to be playing this game with me, Clay. You make a ton of predictions? You bat a thousand? I could say more about the guy that "had to be convinced" that Gabby Williams was a top 25 college player, but I'll show mercy this time.

I'm not very good at it either ... no need to be defensive.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Signs were pointing towards DeSheilds declaring. It's believed she didn't because she didn't want to play for San Antonio or Chicago.

No, it wasn't. It's actually "believed" she went back to play with her friend, and left once her friend (Cooper) got kicked off.

Last edited by TotalCardinalMove on 08/29/17 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she leaves after there has been a fight, she had a fight with Washington at UNC, but we are not supposed to talk about Fight Club.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/28/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I've always admired your willingness to call your predictions "Dead Wrong In Public". It takes guts to look back and go "yep, I miscalculated that one" instead of getting upset at reality for not conforming to your expectations.

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I've always admired your willingness to call your predictions "Dead Wrong In Public". It takes guts to look back and go "yep, I miscalculated that one" instead of getting upset at reality for not conforming to your expectations.

you're saying the universe doesn't revolve around me? aargh. I'm already past four years old, but still....

Truthfully part of the enjoyment for me of this board is when people say what they think regardless of how PC it is. It gets boring if we only talk about the past...so IMO we should go on making predictions even if they turn out wrong. Shrug 'em off and keep on truckin.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The good news is that it quite likely that the universe is infinite. In other words, it goes onto infinity equally in all directions. Thus, we are at the very center of the universe.

The bad news is that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate of speed. So the entire universe is trying to get away from us.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/28/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don't think you're the one to be playing this game with anybody.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: