RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/22/17 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I never understood why it's 6 fouls in the first place. It's the same 40 min as a college game.

They originally did six to keep the better players on the floor more. In 1997 the depth of talent around the league was not very high. The ABL also used six fouls in a 40 minute game for much the same reason.

PostPosted: 08/22/17 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
When Meesseman fouled out against Montenegro at EuroBasket this year she was confused and asked the ref if she could still play. The ref said yes and had to correct herself when Emma walked away. Make it 5 fouls everywhere.

That just might be a good idea. Then some of the "ref's" could start calling fouls on someone who is important to the team rather than calling it on a less important player. There are some exceptions as they seem to call lots of fouls on other important players. Just depends on which team they want to win decided by the league.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/23/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever sign Jennie Simms to a 7 day contract.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/17 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Fever sign Jennie Simms to a 7 day contract.

I wonder why they bother making it a 7-Day contract at this point?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 08/23/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I never understood why it's 6 fouls in the first place. It's the same 40 min as a college game.

They originally did six to keep the better players on the floor more. In 1997 the depth of talent around the league was not very high. The ABL also used six fouls in a 40 minute game for much the same reason.

I question whether five fouls would have kept them out there less. You said that the WNBA has the most fouls per minute versus NBA and college. It seems that if you give them an extra foul they go ahead and use it, slowing the game down more.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/23/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:
I've thought that for a long time. "Physical" is a euphemism for "dirty play." Players get fouled too much, too much contact, too many muggings, I mean "hard fouls." it's just stupid. Clean the game up and you will see players getting injured less often and having longer careers. If fans really want to see women beating each other up, they should go to WWE instead.

But then there is a parade to the free throw line ...

And if there are 40 FTAs in a game, people complain about that.

Players will adjust.

Yeah, Geno Auriemma said the same thing when he was commenting a game once and the play-by-play announcer suggested that there was no way to stop some type of "physical play" they both were unhappy about. "Just call the foul. They'll stop doing it", was his response.

The other euphemism besides "physical play" is "letting them play", which is actually "letting them foul" if the players are fouling and the refs aren't calling it.

Last edited by tfan on 08/23/17 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 08/23/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought when fans say "Let em play ref" they mean "Let our players foul their players." Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

I question whether five fouls would have kept them out there less. You said that the WNBA has the most fouls per minute versus NBA and college. It seems that if you give them an extra foul they go ahead and use it, slowing the game down more.

You might be right, I'm just telling what the thinking was at the time

PostPosted: 08/29/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Members of the Indiana Fever, Indiana Pacers players and Houston native Joe Young, and Pacers Sports & Entertainment are contributing $20,000 to the relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Harvey and the subsequent flooding in southeast Texas.

The Pacers and Fever players along with PS&E will donate $5,000 to the Indiana chapter of the American Red Cross to support the efforts of Hoosiers in providing relief. The Fever, Pacers, and PS&E also will direct $7,500 to the Mayor’s Relief Fund in Houston.

In addition, $1 from every ticket issued for tomorrow night’s Fever-Minnesota WNBA game in Bankers Life Fieldhouse – an anticipated $7,500 – will be donated to the Mayor’s Relief Fund.

http://fever.wnba.com/news/fever-pacers-donate-20000-hurricane-harvey-relief-efforts/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: