Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/15/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Brittney Sykes: From Syracuse To Atlanta, The Sky’s The Limit

http://www.wnba.com/news/brittney-sykes-syracuse-atlanta-skys-limit/amp/

Quote:
In her first four months in the WNBA, Brittney Sykes has checked a lot of boxes off her professional basketball list. She was drafted with the 7th overall pick by the Atlanta Dream, made it through training camp, picked up Rookie of the Month honors for July, and is now making a great case for Rookie of the Year.

Sykes ranks second in the rookie class in scoring (12 pts), rebounding (3.8 rebs) and minutes (23.1). She also ranks second in scoring for the Dream and has worked her way into the starting lineup, starting 16 of 27 games.

During her Rookie of the Month campaign in July, Sykes averaged 17.8 points per game which put her in the eighth spot in league standings. She has wasted no time making her mark in the W, but there was a time when Sykes faced uncertainty as to where she fit in the basketball world.

Quote:
Based on her junior performance, Sykes could have declared for the WNBA Draft, she didn’t need to come back for her senior season. Sykes called Hillsman to weigh her options.

“He said ‘Well, if you go, you’ll be drafted, I don’t know how high, but if you wait, and you go next year, we can make something happen.’ In a sense of, if you put in that work and you do what you’re supposed to do, the sky’s the limit,” she said.

Both Sykes and Hillsman agree that returning for her senior season was the best decision she made to prepare her for the WNBA. The plan worked. As the 7th overall pick, she became the highest WNBA draft pick in Syracuse history. Added time gave her a chance to hone her skills and eliminate any doubt about her injury.

That was pretty selfless of Hillsman to think it would be best for Sykes to return for her senior year.

Quote:
Sykes worked out two or three times a day in the weight room between her junior and senior season to get her body prepared for physicality of the upcoming season and ultimately the WNBA.

She became a better shooter, forcing players into long closeouts and, in turn, she was able to attack the basket easier. Between her junior and senior seasons she increased her accuracy on field goals by 10 percent (.452 from .352) and 16 percent from three-point range (.393 from .231).

Quote:
“Atlanta is my style of play, Atlanta is my type of place to be,” Sykes said. “I have family down there, so I wouldn’t be alone. It’s the perfect set up.”

Quote:
“That’s one thing that he [Cooper] does is he allows his players to get out in space and play basketball and she really is doing well playing in space and doing things she needs to do to be successful.”

Quote:
Like many other rookies in the league, Sykes was inspired by WNBA players when she was younger. Back when the New York Liberty played in the Prudential Center, Sykes would go watch with her high school teammates and she never missed a game. At a Liberty vs. Mystics game she got a headband from then-Mystics guard Matee Ajavon, and she thought to herself that one day she would make the league and give the headband back to Ajavon. Sykes now plays alongside Ajavon for the Dream.

Quote:
After the Dream’s first preseason game, Atlanta head coach Michael Cooper and Sykes discussed her goals for the season and they were on the same page. Rookie of the Year was at the top of the list.

“The day you picked me I said I was going to get it, and that’s been my goal ever since,” Sykes said.

Too bad it will go too Allisha Gray !! #WFFL

PostPosted: 08/17/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rested Dream forward Angel McCoughtry eyes return to hoops

https://www.si.com/wnba/ap/20170817135746493464608

Quote:
McCoughtry said she didn't totally step away from the game during the break, noting that she's been working out. But even if the Dream reach the playoffs, she said she wouldn't try to return.

''If I just came back for playoffs, I don't think that would be fair to everybody who has played the whole year,'' McCoughtry said. ''I don't think that's fair. I would do it the right way, and come back next year.''

PostPosted: 08/17/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She did play in the playoffs only in Lebanon, but I guess their rules allow that. The Dream seem to have no chance now of making the playoffs now that Chicago and Seattle seem to have turned things around.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/17/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
McCoughtry said she didn't totally step away from the game during the break, noting that she's been working out. But even if the Dream reach the playoffs, she said she wouldn't try to return.

''If I just came back for playoffs, I don't think that would be fair to everybody who has played the whole year,'' McCoughtry said. ''I don't think that's fair. I would do it the right way, and come back next year.''

Wouldn't be fair? What's she talking about? They're struggling right now and could use the help.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/18/17 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Wouldn't be fair? What's she talking about? They're struggling right now and could use the help.

Too late anyway. Maybe we need to start the Dream 2018 thread. This season is all over but the complaining about the refs, players, trades and coaches.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Too late anyway. Maybe we need to start the Dream 2018 thread. This season is all over but the complaining about the refs, players, trades and coaches.

Traditionally that's not done until the team is mathematically eliminated

PostPosted: 08/18/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Traditionally that's not done until the team is mathematically eliminated

Randy's not good at math, even though he's a physics major. Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 08/18/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Now if the team were doing great without her, then I could see it viewed as not fair if she were return to bast in the glory. But with the team struggling to make the playoffs like this, with the iceberg hitting the USS Cooper and the team readying the lifeboats, and she feels it wouldn't be fair to help them out.... maybe the unfounded rumors are correct and she really doesn't like Cooper. Just let him hang himself.

I dunno though.... Cooper's got a pretty good framework going.

Got any head coach ideas? I believe Collen out of Connecticut is home based in Florida. Might be a good match for her.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Got any head coach ideas? I believe Collen out of Connecticut is home based in Florida. Might be a good match for her.

Fort Myers is almost 600 miles from Atlanta, not exactly a day trip.

PostPosted: 08/18/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Fort Myers is almost 600 miles from Atlanta, not exactly a day trip.

Slightly closer than Uncasville.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/18/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I actually think she is talking about her own teammates, and not the rest of the league when she says it wouldn't be fair.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/18/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/rested-dream-forward-angel-mccoughtry-eyes-return-to-hoops/2017/08/17/f50b1f8a-8375-11e7-9e7a-20fa8d7a0db6_story.htmlike

Quote:
McCoughtry said she was dealing with with pain from plantar fasciitis and tendinitis, so she announced her decision in January.

Quote:
“We need that” rest, said McCoughtry, who said she has followed the Dream and even attended a game last week. “Who can play basketball all year with no break for years and years and years? We’re not machines, we’re not robots. It’s (illogical), so you really need that time off just for your mental, number one, and then for your body.”

McCoughtry said mentally she is relishing her longest break from the game since college. During her time off, she has taken a trip to Africa with her partner Brande Serrano, tried boxing and yoga to stay in shape and opened her own ice cream stop.

Quote:
Despite how the season has played out, the Dream say they respect McCoughtry’s decision. The team placed the franchise tag on McCoughtry after the announcement and McCoughtry said co-owner Mary Brock was an early visitor to the ice cream shop.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/18/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew it was too early, which is why I didn't actually start the 2018 thread.

As for Angel's health woes - it didn't stop her from playing in Russia or Lebanon. But money is a great pain reliever. If I were her, I would probably skip the WNBA entirely and grab all the red green I could get in my remaining years.

As for a new coach, I would think Cooper has some great excuses - no Angel, Sancho missing games, Morello out most of the season (ha - I know that one is really lame) and some accomplishments to point to - developing 3 all stars where at the start of last season there were none and, most important, finding a rookie superstar in one of the weakest drafts ever to replace Angel.

But Dream are in cost cutting mode big time, so maybe they will can Cooper and promote a low paid assistant (other than Miles Cooper). I was wondering if Kid Thibault is any good? Any guesses? I don't think Thompson would be any better the Cooper though probably cheaper. But if that happens its just cost cutting.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/18/17 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any tweets or the like about whether or not Hayes is playing on Saturday?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/17 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Any tweets or the like about whether or not Hayes is playing on Saturday?

Dream are not very good about letting stuff like who's going to be playing tonight out. She was a game time decision Tuesday, but didn't play so if that give you any insight.....

Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/17 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/dining/get-the-scoop-metro-atlanta-top-frozen-treats/AibOk5UnrkOYfAzMqrCu7K/?ecmp=newspaper_email&

Quote:

McCoughtry’s Ice Cream

You may have trouble parking in front of this Castleberry Hill newcomer from Angel McCoughtry, who plays basketball for the Atlanta Dream. Just steps away from Kandi Burruss’ Old Lady Gang, McCoughtry’s is a sunny, turquoise-colored room with a growth chart painted on one wall: It depicts the Olympic gold medalist scaling the tippy top, standing 6 feet 1 and holding a cone. (This is what I’m talking about, people! Ice cream makes you strong!)

Salt Bae is a rich concoction of caramel ice cream, caramel ribbons and chocolate pieces. Oh, Snap! is loaded with ginger snaps and vanilla wafers and sweetened with 1893 Pepsi. I liked these originals, but the gold goes to the super-creamy, old-fashioned strawberry and the delightful Birthday Bash, which tastes like funfetti cake. Together they’re a perfect pair.

185 Peters St. SW, Atlanta. 404-857-4538, mccoughtrysicecream.com.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/20/17 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
That barb might have had a little more bite, if the Dream were actually doing well without her.

RP wrote:
Pretty much the same, honestly...

So... you still standing behind this?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
RP

PostPosted: 08/21/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, because the Dream were 10-13 at the time I wrote that. I will say I did not anticipate the sudden shift in priorities.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/21/17 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By "shift in priorities," do you mean that you weren't aware that their early record was a mirage, because they hadn't played anybody yet?

Since the Dream were last at .500, they've played fourteen games, only five of which were against losing teams, and the only one of those they won was at home. I don't think that it was a hot take for me to say that they weren't doing well without McCoughtry, considering that they'd already finished the cake part of their schedule, and they were still 3 games below .500.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 08/21/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scratching my head over "change in priorities" too unless it was trying to get Cooper fired. But I don't think that was his priority.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imani Boyette in this interview yesterday in ATL said she asked to be traded.

@CrushSportsTalk: The Crush with @imaniboyette and @lilydsatraining

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bGob5TEzNzAwMDQ1fDFCUkpqeVZWRFZnR3eURhcCI3LTN66tNd-tFN024chCrDTisAEtPT4cYAdQ-g==

Last edited by LibFan25 on 08/22/17 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imani Boyette said last night on The Crush sports talk radio that she asked to be traded

PostPosted: 08/22/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Imani Boyette said last night on The Crush sports talk radio that she asked to be traded

Thanks, Boyette! If not for your husband trying to crush me like an empty beer can, I would give you a thank you kiss. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/22/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Pretty obvious to the more observant types, or should I say type?

Last edited by Shades on 08/22/17 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/22/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Thanks, Boyette! If not for your husband trying to crush me like an empty beer can, I would give you a thank you kiss. Very Happy

Out of curiosity, are the Dream the only team in history to lose a trade in which they acquire the disgruntled player who demanded to be traded?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: