RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Atlanta Dream 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/14/16 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
"I have a friend of a friend of a former PHX Mercury player....". Sounds like a very credible source to me Rolling Eyes And if you ACTUALLY have seen her play a lot, I don't believe you that you don't think she's legit or you're just a poor talent evaluator. Sometimes really really good players just run into some bad luck believe it or not and there isn't actually something wrong with the player or their talent.


Yes actually, it IS a credible source and if you think being cut from practically half of the WNBA and overseas is just "bad luck" and not "her" then damn girl, that's some real bad luck considering there are some guards right now that shouldn't even BE in the WNBA.

My point exactly! PG in the league is so weak. It sucks. But I think it'll turn around. Just needs the right coach and GM to believe in her again. I have enough evidence to the contrary that she is neither a problem with coaches nor teammates. Even if your source is real, not everybody is going to like everybody. My guess would be the player you are referring to is either Alexis Gray Lawson or maybe Brianna Butler (formerly Gilbreath), or possibly Dymond Simon. Any of which were probably just jealous of her talent.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 1280



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/14/16 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
"I have a friend of a friend of a former PHX Mercury player....". Sounds like a very credible source to me Rolling Eyes And if you ACTUALLY have seen her play a lot, I don't believe you that you don't think she's legit or you're just a poor talent evaluator. Sometimes really really good players just run into some bad luck believe it or not and there isn't actually something wrong with the player or their talent.


Yes actually, it IS a credible source and if you think being cut from practically half of the WNBA and overseas is just "bad luck" and not "her" then damn girl, that's some real bad luck considering there are some guards right now that shouldn't even BE in the WNBA.

My point exactly! PG in the league is so weak. It sucks. But I think it'll turn around. Just needs the right coach and GM to believe in her again. I have enough evidence to the contrary that she is neither a problem with coaches nor teammates. Even if your source is real, not everybody is going to like everybody. My guess would be the player you are referring to is either Alexis Gray Lawson or maybe Brianna Butler (formerly Gilbreath), or possibly Dymond Simon. Any of which were probably just jealous of her talent.


No, my sources are none of those people.

There are a few players in the league right now that are considered good or great players but have less than desirable personalities (McCoughtry, Parker etc) but they still remain in the league. Prahalis is not a bad player and would fit on a few teams as a 10 minute per game backup point guard but she's been shuffled around so much now that teams are not going to consider her anymore because they think, wow, something must/is off with her. I mean, even Schimmel still remains in this league even though she should have been booted long ago. So what is it about Prahalis? It's got nothing to do with 'lets give her another chance'. She's had enough chances and hasn't been able to stick with any team, even ones that signed her NEEDING a point guard. Each time she was signed to a training camp, she showed nothing. Phoenix has thrown away young guards (Prahalis, Courtney Williams) and in Williams case, it was a mistake. Prahalis played OK in her rookie season with PHX, but was let go after her rookie season and she never stuck with anyone else. Her personality and demeanor have a LOT more to do with it than you think it does. She's been deemed uncoachable in the WNBA. Coaches don't want that negative type of personality on their teams. That is the main reason she doesn't and will not ever play in this league again. And even if she does get yet another chance, she won't stick. She didn't even keep her overseas job even though she played well over there. I get it that you like her, but don't know what goes on behind the locker room door.

Would I want her on my favorite WNBA team even if they desperately needed a PG? Not in a million years. They've already had to deal with their share of negative attitudes in the locker room.


Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/14/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I get that you like her, but don't know what goes on behind the locker room door".

So supposedly knowing someone who knows someone who says a player told them something means you do? I agree that GM's may THINK something is off with her, but that doesn't mean there is. You have no idea why she was cut from Phoenix, Atlanta, is not on an overseas team. Anything. So don't pretend you do. You're like everyone else on here who passes judgement on a player without even knowing them or what players and coaches actually think of her. I can assure you they think very highly of her and like working with her.

In the meantime you can stop posting RUMORS (which is exactly what these are) you've heard about a player, and go back to just reading posts on here like you did before. Good day.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 1280



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/14/16 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
"I get that you like her, but don't know what goes on behind the locker room door".

So supposedly knowing someone who knows someone who says a player told them something means you do? I agree that GM's may THINK something is off with her, but that doesn't mean there is. You have no idea why she was cut from Phoenix, Atlanta, is not on an overseas team. Anything. So don't pretend you do. You're like everyone else on here who passes judgement on a player without even knowing them or what players and coaches actually think of her. I can assure you they think very highly of her and like working with her.

In the meantime you can stop posting RUMORS (which is exactly what these are) you've heard about a player, and go back to just reading posts on here like you did before. Good day.


Hey no need to be bitter and childish here. I was just sharing my take on the situation from what I've heard from a couple people I know that know a few players from the WNBA.


Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/14/16 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's childish is spreading bad rumors about someone you don't know. And now it's a "couple people". What happens is someone says something about someone about what they think of a person and that person hears it and tells it to someone else who tells it and pretty soon it's not just something someone thought, it becomes fact. When in fact, it's a rumor. It's possible this particular person didn't like her. Even if that's the case let's not jump to the conclusion that she is universally disliked. You state it as fact as that's why she's not on a team. When I know for a fact that you are wrong.

BTW through process of elimination and you saying "recent" former Mercury player I think I know who it is. And I take what she thinks with a grain of salt.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 1280



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/14/16 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
What's childish is spreading bad rumors about someone you don't know. And now it's a "couple people". What happens is someone says something about someone about what they think of a person and that person hears it and tells it to someone else who tells it and pretty soon it's not just something someone thought, it becomes fact. When in fact, it's a rumor. It's possible this particular person didn't like her. Even if that's the case let's not jump to the conclusion that she is universally disliked. You state it as fact as that's why she's not on a team. When I know for a fact that you are wrong.

BTW through process of elimination and you saying "recent" former Mercury player I think I know who it is. And I take what she thinks with a grain of salt.


Whatever Mate.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25364



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/15/16 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posting rumors is just fine IMO. Just put an IMO. Everything here is basically IMO. If everybody posted only fact, the board would be pretty empty.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19684



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/15/16 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If everybody posted only fact, the board would be pretty empty.

In your opinion.



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
Jet Jaguar



Joined: 11 Feb 2014
Posts: 1111



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/16/16 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opinions and rumors contain the words "I think" or "I believe" or "maybe" or "possibly". My issue was this person is stating why she's not playing as FACT. When in fact it isn't. Just a rumor or hearsay from (to me) a less than credible source.



_________________
Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 6181
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/16/16 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
If everybody posted only fact, the board would be pretty empty.

In your opinion.


WRONG


UK1996



Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 343



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Angel sitting out, where do the dream go from here? I'm assuming that Gatling and Holivay are gone if Dantas is back. I believe that they'll either use the 7th pick on a SF or a bigger guard who could play SF. With a big guard, if Angel decided to come back midway through the season, Atlanta could waive Simmons and move a player like Weise or Epps into a backup guard spot. San Antonio will probably get rid of either Knight of Gwathmey. I'f I'm Atlanta I would probably take my chances with the draft over either of them. Atlanta could also make a trade but i"m not sure who they'd get without having to give up a starter. If I'm Atlanta Hayes, Holmes, and Williams would be untouchable and it would have to be a pretty lopsided trade for me to give up Clarendon or Lyttle.

Possible Picks
Weise
Epps
Davis
Walker-Kimborogh
Coffey

PG: Clarendon/ Cortijo
SG: Hayes/ Ajavon/ Simmons
SF: Holmes/ #7 or FA
PF: Lyttle/ Gray/ 2nd round pick or FA
C: Williams/ Dantas



_________________
Kentucky Wildcats, Sky, & Spurs
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52409



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coffey would be a good choice to backup Holmes.
Walker-Kimbrough if you think she big enough to play SF.
I could see Cooper being a Nina Davis fan.
His namesake Shayla Cooper is also a possibility.

Cooper could also pray for Kaela Davis or Victoria Vivians to enter and fall to #7.

So many possibilities!



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20158



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outside of Williams, Hayes & Holmes, this Dream team is just a bunch of average players. Lyttle's towards the end of her career so I wouldn't count her as able to carry this team.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 5193



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017 isn't a bad year to suck unless everyone declares 2018 is deep

Wilson, Mitchell, Turner, Deshields, Mavunga, K. Davis, Gray, Vivians, Canada, G. Williams, Russell, and there are probably a couple of other true juniors who i haven't even touched on


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25364



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Coffey would be a good choice to backup Holmes.
Walker-Kimbrough if you think she big enough to play SF.
I could see Cooper being a Nina Davis fan.
His namesake Shayla Cooper is also a possibility.

Cooper could also pray for Kaela Davis or Victoria Vivians to enter and fall to #7.

So many possibilities!


I think Hayes could move over to SF in a pinch. She could play kamikaze there just as well as at SG. That increases the possibles. Coffey would probably be a good pick. It's hard to know now who will fall out of the top five. Weise will be there but doesn't play run and gun style in college and since she will transition to SF (IMO) it would be a lot to ask of her. I keep expecting Cooper to be better than she shows. Is it just the tOSU style that somehow stunts her play, or is she simply not as good as all that athleticism would leave one to believe? I know you and I will agree to disagree but IMO Nina in the first round is a wasted pick. She is not even close to being the best player on her college team which doesn't bode well (unless you play with someone like Stewie).



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 6181
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWK and K Davis are better fits for this team than Coffey IMO


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25364



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/04/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
SWK and K Davis are better fits for this team than Coffey IMO


I don't think SWK will be available at that point, but yeah, she would be good. Davis is inconsistent but when she's on, she's dynamic. Any of them will need to adjust of course. And no matter who they get, without Angel, the Dream will be left Dreamin about better times to come after the 2018 lottery.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52409



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Wilson, Mitchell, Turner, Deshields, Mavunga, K. Davis, Gray, Vivians, Canada, G. Williams, Russell, and there are probably a couple of other true juniors who i haven't even touched on


Omigarsh.... deepest ever? I sorted yours out by tiers and added a few. There's probably some I'm forgetting. I even put 12[11] in Tier 1. I was waffling on Billings, but I thought I better slip her into T1 to avoid being besieged by her fans.

2018 Prospects assuming no declarations
Tier 1
K Mitchell
A Wilson
G Williams
B Turner
K Davis
D DeShields
A Stevens [edit: a top eligible]
M Russell
K Nurse
J Canada
V Vivians
M Billings

Tier 2
L Brown
R Greenwell
S Mavunga
A Gray
T Buss
J Nared
Hines-Allen
M Moore
S Thomas

Tier 3(Lots can be added here)
A Doss
K Flaherty
A Atkins
K Wallace
A Hart

With the 35-36th pick.... C Wagner



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 01/06/17 2:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52409



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think Hayes could move over to SF in a pinch.


That would further solidify the notion that ATL is tanking.

myrtle wrote:
She could play kamikaze there just as well as at SG.


Playing kamikaze with the ATL season.

myrtle wrote:
That increases the possibles.


Increases the possibility of a Top 4 pick.

myrtle wrote:
Coffey would probably be a good pick.


Damn right. She's one of my best bets to secure a roster spot. Of course, nobody believed me on Holmes.

myrtle wrote:
Weise will be there


Yes, she will.

myrtle wrote:
but doesn't play run and gun style in college and since she will transition to SF (IMO) it would be a lot to ask of her.


Yes it would.

myrtle wrote:
I keep expecting Cooper to be better than she shows. Is it just the tOSU style that somehow stunts her play, or is she simply not as good as all that athleticism would leave one to believe?


Be patient. Opinions can veer sharply based on current play. I like her energy level.

myrtle wrote:
I know you and I will agree to disagree but IMO Nina in the first round is a wasted pick. She is not even close to being the best player on her college team which doesn't bode well


You could be right, but she's not like a Brittany Martin or Jamie Weisner wasted pick. You can't totally discount what she's already accomplished just because Baylor no longer needs her to be the go-to on offense. She was first team All-American.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7477



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*deleted*


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52409



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reasons I'm not as MAD at
ATL for tanking as I was with PHX:
1. They're not already a Championship-worthy team. They're a shell of the team they were early in the decade.
2. The Two-Season Rule (enacted because of PHX) will make it tough for ATL to secure the #1 pick.
3. The talent is deep in 2018. Unless a team trades out of the first round in 2018, every team should come away with a very nice player. Sure, you'd always want first choice, but not having first choice really isn't so bad. I'd sure like to have Kelsey Mitchell on my team though.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25364



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think A. Stevens still has two years of college eligibility. So, unless she forgoes her last year, she won't be out until 2019



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18815



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The reasons I'm not as MAD at
ATL for tanking as I was with PHX:
1. They're not already a Championship-worthy team. They're a shell of the team they were early in the decade.
2. The Two-Season Rule (enacted because of PHX) will make it tough for ATL to secure the #1 pick.
3. The talent is deep in 2018. Unless a team trades out of the first round in 2018, every team should come away with a very nice player. Sure, you'd always want first choice, but not having first choice really isn't so bad. I'd sure like to have Kelsey Mitchell on my team though.


Why would you think Atlanta is tanking at all if Angel decided on her own to take the year off. This isn't a situation like Phoenix where Taurasi played some, sat some for Griner.

Also, I don't think the Dream are in that bad shape, with Hayes, Williams, Clarendon, and Holmes all on the upswing in their careers.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52409



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think A. Stevens still has two years of college eligibility. So, unless she forgoes her last year, she won't be out until 2019


I think you're right. I didn't fact check off of Spooner's list. I guess makes only 11 for my Tier 1.

Although, I must say, if she gets that championship trophy she's chasing, I wonder if she'll consider bailing after one year.

Will she end up with a Duke degree or a Connecticut degree? Will it be recognized as 50/50? That was a kinda big sacrifice in that way just to chase a championship. Maybe education isn't the highest priority. And the irony is Duke is doing well without her. How storybook would it be if Duke knocked off UConn somewhere down the road.

Seeing as the quality of her degree wasn't the top priority, maybe she's looking to jump into the WNBA as soon as possible? An argument could be made.

It'll also be interesting to see what role she'll have next year. Is Geno going to tinker with his current starting lineup, especially if he wins a championship with it? It'll be interesting to see. Stay tuned.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6751
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/06/17 1:02 pm    ::: What Angel McCoughtry’s absence means for Atlanta Dream Reply Reply with quote

http://www.fanragsports.com/womens/angel-mccoughtrys-absence-means-atlanta-dream/

Quote:
Alternately, the Dream could slow things down and play through the post more. Head coach Michael Cooper has sung the praises of center Elizabeth Williams fairly often since Atlanta acquired her, expressing his pleasure with her back-to-the-basket game and hinting that his offense would be more well-rounded because of it. Williams won 2016’s Most Improved Player Award and certainly looks like she’d be able to take on an even bigger role in 2017, should Cooper give one to her.




_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin