RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Little bit surprised to see Fields gone that quickly, but maybe she was going to want time off to join Canada during the season. That could count against you in a tight competition.

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nirra Fields and Peyton Little waived to make room for Hayes and Holmes

not really suprised by the cuts interesting though

Randy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Little didn't get in much at the scrimmage last night and I don't recall any of her shots falling. She was fun college player to watch. I could not figure out which one was Fields.

petrel

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Little didn't get in much at the scrimmage last night and I don't recall any of her shots falling. She was fun college player to watch. I could not figure out which one was Fields.

The blonde one.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who was the one that looked like a body builder?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/28/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

who stood out at the scrimmage?

PostPosted: 04/28/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:

who stood out at the scrimmage?

For the Dream - Sykes looked good. Clarendon was the few regulars that played much. For the Sky - I thought Epps looked pretty good for a 3rd rounder. Janskoska had trouble holding onto the ball with pressure, but scored some baskets thanks to Epps assists on a few. Epps might beat her out. Sky had more regulars playing.

RobStat68

PostPosted: 04/28/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do the Dream plan on having any practices that are open to the public like the one they held at the local high school last year?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lengthy Portuguese article on Damiris Dantas ran through Google Translate

https://brasilwnba.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/sera-que-chegou-a-vez-de-damiris-na-wnba/

Quote:
Damiris Dantas do Amaral He started playing basketball at school and in 2005 passed through the club of Janeth Arcain (formerly Houston Comets) in Santo André.

He then defended the colors of the Divino / COC / Jundiaí, before heading to Spain, where he played for Celta de Vigo's team in basketball where he averaged 13.1 points, seven rebounds and a 38.7 per cent advantage in pitches Of court.

In the Brazilian Women's Basketball Team, she made her debut in the women's team in the 2010 World Cup.

In 2011 Damiris was runner-up of the U-18 America Cup in the United States and third place in the U-19 World Championship in Chile, where she was elected MVP of the tournament. In adult tournaments, he was champion of Copa America and bronze in the Pan-American of Guadalajara.

In April 2012, Damiris was drafted to the WNBA draft by the Minnesota Lynx team. The 19-year-old was drafted to 12th overall pick in the 2012 WNBA draft.

After the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Damiris played Paulista for the Ourinhos team and LBF CAIXA for the Maranhão Basketball team, where he averaged 12.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and a 50.5 percent Court pitches.

In 2013, Damiris decided that it was not yet time to make the leap to the American basketball league.

"It was a decision I made with my agents to stay another year in Brazil. I'm not going to the WNBA this year. I want to develop a lot, really evolve, before I play there. It's my dream, but to do it in the most appropriate way I need to be well prepared. I'm betting on my personal improvement before playing for Minnesota. It's part of my own career planning, "Damiris said.

On April 2 she signed a contract with the Minnesota Lynx team, where she debuted in 2014 and averaged 6.0 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game. Damiris had a 51.1 per cent advantage in the court pitches and 100 per cent in the three-point throw.

She finished her debut season as the third youngest player in the WNBA and the youngest to wear a Lynx uniform since Candice Wiggins in 2008 ... She played in 30 matches, not just participating in the last four due to personal reasons. She was the second player in WNBA history to pick up 10 rebounds and provide 5 assists in her WNBA debut, the first was Candace Parker, 2008.

In 2015 Damiris started and started 16 games for Lynx, had a 100 percent advantage in the free-throw throwing, converting 11 of 12 balls and averaging 5.6 points, 53.3 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.

In the midseason the Minnesota Lynx team traded it as the Atlanta Dream. Where he played 16 games and averaged 8.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

In 2016 the Atlanta Dream team announced that Damiris Dantas would not play the 2016 season as he was preparing to compete for the Brazilian national team at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Atlanta has retained Damiris' rights and hopes that she will return to the cast for the 2017 WNBA season.

In 2017 Damiris has been one of the great highlights in the excellent season of the Corinthians / Pay less / American team at LBF CAIXA, where he has averaged 21.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. Damiris still had a 51.6 per cent advantage in the court pitches, 37.0 per in three-pointers and 78.3 per cent in free throws.

On the Atlanta Dream website, Damiris appears as part of the WNBA team's 2017 season schedule. It would be fantastic for Dream to have Damiris playing as he has been playing for Corinthians at LBF CAIXA and for us Brazilians would be the chance to have a Brazilian player playing an MVP at WNBA.

Damiris is undoubtedly going through an excellent stage in his career and has everything to shine in the WNBA this season, even more so with the Dream team in rebuilding and without his biggest star Angel McCoughtry.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
animals31089

PostPosted: 05/03/17 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Markeisha Gatling and Jordan Reynolds cut not really a suprise to me looks like the dream need about 5 or 6 more cuts to make before the 12th

Randy

PostPosted: 05/03/17 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gatling getting cut surprises me a little because I though she actually looked better than the other posts in the scrimmage, but then none of them looked good. They all did have better conditioning though.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel now playing in Lebanon.....

http://www.asia-basket.com/Lebanon/news/488614/Angel-McCoughtry-(ex-Dynamo-K.)-is-a-newcomer-at-Homentmen-Antelias

Quote:
McCoughtry managed to play in four leagues in four countries this year (!!!)

Guess the USA isn't one of them...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

http://www.asia-basket.com/Lebanon/news/488614/Angel-McCoughtry-(ex-Dynamo-K.)-is-a-newcomer-at-Homentmen-Antelias

Quote:

so does this kind of kill the rumor that her knees cant take all year around play and that she really just wants OUT of Atlanta ?

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Quote:

This is strange on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Randy

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your guess is as good as mine. The "needing rest" claim does seem like a lot of baloney.

root_thing - it seems so bizarre that I'd think it was fake news if anyone actually cared enough about WBB to make up fake news about it.....

Last edited by Randy on 05/04/17 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lebanese playoffs are likely to be distinctly shorter than a full WNBA season. It doesn't really confirm or deny anything, except that Angel's in demand and likes money as much as the next person.

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Your guess is as good as mine. The "needing rest" claim does seem like a lot of baloney.

Lori Ann has resurrected ...this is classic Lori Laughing

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Likes money" is clearly the motivation. There are safety issues, and except for a handful of foreign players, it's probably high school level basketball.

Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember Chantelle Anderson starring for the Lebanese national team

I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of Angel turning up in Atlanta after the All Star break

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of Angel turning up in Atlanta after the All Star break

yea probably for her icecream shop Laughing . I sure hope so though pilight , Shes been the face of ATL since inception although shes had some rough moments they still need her dearly .

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

yea probably for her icecream shop Laughing . I sure hope so though pilight , Shes been the face of ATL since inception although shes had some rough moments they still need her dearly .

The store is supposed to open June 1st. I imagine she needs the time off from the Dream to get that rolling.

PostPosted: 05/04/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

America's Sweetheart... Laughing

Las Vegas Aces
Dallas Wings
Seattle Storm
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun
Shades

PostPosted: 05/04/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The store is supposed to open June 1st. I imagine she needs the time off from the Dream to get that rolling.

I hope she's just the money behind the project. If she's the brains, that shop is in trouble.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/04/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/lebanon-travel-warning.html

Quote:
The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Lebanon because of the threats of terrorism, armed clashes, kidnapping, and outbreaks of violence, especially near Lebanon’s borders with Syria and Israel. U.S. citizens living and working in Lebanon should be aware of the risks of remaining in the country and should carefully consider those risks. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued on July 29, 2016.

I guess I don't like money enough to go there under any circumstances.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/04/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:

America's Sweetheart... Laughing

Laughing #Dead ....I cant lie she brings that extra "something" to this league...

PostPosted: 05/04/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I hope she's just the money behind the project. If she's the brains, that shop is in trouble.

From her IG seems as though she has people running the shop while shes out right now getting it together so im guessing she will be there for the grand opening but afterwards ran by someone else maybe a "Muse" *hint Hint*

PostPosted: 05/04/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

14 game season that ends at the beginning of June #HowConvenient Laughing
If im going to sit out might as well make money til my side hustle starts , Love Lori Laughing Embarassed

PostPosted: 05/04/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Richyy can verify this, but if she comes back at any time during in the season, doesn't she still get out of one year of being cored?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/04/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are things about the core designation and the core qualifying offer that change on certain dates, but I would presume that if she ultimately signed to play at some point this season, it would count as one of her years played under the core designation. Which would still leave three more.

PostPosted: 05/04/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know some thought she wanted to be traded but what if it was the opposite, she heard the rumor about being traded to Dallas, and then decides to sit out to avoid being traded and stay in Atl? Now she is cored and can't be traded without her consent. Just a thought.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/17 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
"Likes money" is clearly the motivation. There are safety issues, and except for a handful of foreign players, it's probably high school level basketball.

It's sad that Lebanon pays better than the USA

PostPosted: 05/05/17 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

It's sad that Lebanon pays better than the USA

Very Sad , I think the league is really watching how effective this is for its future. You cant expect people to take you serious if your own employers dont . Make them a priority and they will do the same.

PostPosted: 05/05/17 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lebanon has to pay more - it's called combat pay.

Trying to get into the mind of Angel is certainly a fool errand, but I'm not sure this is entirely a matter of money. Most stars do continue to play in the WNBA year after year, though lately there has been a trend for the bigger names to sit out all or part of a season. How many All WNBA players have foregone part of a season to play in Lebanon?

In this case, I have to think there is something else going on. Notice that 3 of the 5 cored players this year are not playing, and one was traded. Angel seemed to be complaining about it in the recent interview. Does seem like players a making a mockery of coring. Since she was cored, though, she could veto any trade so it was probably not a matter of objecting to a trade. My best guess - she either does want a trade to a contender or she's just having a fit and showing the Dream brass/owners who's boss.

Or maybe she just wants Cooper fired.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/05/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could have the timeline wrong but I think she decided to sit out before she was cored.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/05/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I could have the timeline wrong but I think she decided to sit out before she was cored.

It was announced Jan 4 that she was taking time off. So it may well have come before the core designation. However, it would have been obvious to her she was going to be cored anyway.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/05/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deviously: I wonder if a player would ever tell her team "no need to core me. I'll stick around on my own" then go sign elsewhere. oooh.

PostPosted: 05/05/17 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Deviously: I wonder if a player would ever tell her team "no need to core me. I'll stick around on my own" then go sign elsewhere. oooh.

The team would say "Fine, sign the extension now".

PostPosted: 05/05/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The team would say "Fine, sign the extension now".

Whoop Shocked

PostPosted: 05/06/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spain has named their preliminary squad for EuroBasket and only included Sancho and not Ndour, so I guess Sancho will be there.

Randy wrote:
Lebanon has to pay more - it's called combat pay.

Trying to get into the mind of Angel is certainly a fool errand, but I'm not sure this is entirely a matter of money. Most stars do continue to play in the WNBA year after year, though lately there has been a trend for the bigger names to sit out all or part of a season. How many All WNBA players have foregone part of a season to play in Lebanon?

In this case, I have to think there is something else going on. Notice that 3 of the 5 cored players this year are not playing, and one was traded. Angel seemed to be complaining about it in the recent interview. Does seem like players a making a mockery of coring. Since she was cored, though, she could veto any trade so it was probably not a matter of objecting to a trade. My best guess - she either does want a trade to a contender or she's just having a fit and showing the Dream brass/owners who's boss.

Or maybe she just wants Cooper fired.

I certainly would not go there on vacation, but plenty of American men play in Lebanon season after season and I have never heard of any issues. Plenty of non-WNBA women's players have played there too. The fact that the teams are owned by big Lebanese organizations tends to help from a safety perspective. Though it is not as big on the women's side, Lebanon is easily the third most basketball-crazy country in the world.
Randy

PostPosted: 05/06/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the perspective on Lebanon. Who knew it was a basketball hotbed?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/06/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Spain has named their preliminary squad for EuroBasket and only included Sancho and not Ndour, so I guess Sancho will be there.

Makes you woder why Ndour didn't bother to show up in the US then, if she had nothing else to do. Could've made things even more muddled in Chicago's training camp.

PostPosted: 05/06/17 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Ndour doesn't want to play for Chicago.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/06/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Ndour the one who told certain teams that she wasn't going to come over right away during her draft year and told some others that she would?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Wasn't Ndour the one who told certain teams that she wasn't going to come over right away during her draft year and told some others that she would?

Does this thread cover that subject?

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=81311

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Does this thread cover that subject?

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=81311

If she didn't want to play for Chicago, maybe Chicago should have asked for Hamby.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/06/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, back to the Dream. I'll do a forecast of our roster like the NY fans do all the time.:

C - Williams, Morello, Holivay
PF - Lyttle, Dantas
SF - Holmes
PG - Clarendon, Morris, Kiesel
SG - Hayes Sykes, Ajavon.

Leaves a shortfall at SF, but Hayes could cover that and Sykes is pretty athletic, so maybe in a pinch she could as well.

Players in italics are ones that could easily be done without, and collectively will likely average only a handful of minutes per game.

Now, the big question is which ones will be available by next Friday?

Based on last night, I think Sykes gets the "shoot till your arm falls off" green light instead of Simmons, who no longer seems like she will make the team.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/06/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a sad looking team.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Angel has been dragging this team to respectability for a long time

PostPosted: 05/06/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Yeah, this has me worried that the Sky will somehow still be a playoff team this season. Atlanta just has nothing. Indy is not looking too hot either at the moment.

Randy, I would hazard a guess that Sykes will be seeing plenty of SF minutes. Cooper had no problem playing Angel/Holmes at the 4 last year, and they're obviously not going anywhere this season so you want to get your rookies as many reps as possible. These days the 2 and the 3 are fairly interchangeable and like you said, Sykes has the physical gifts to make do.

PostPosted: 05/06/17 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I actually think atlanta will make the playoffs.They look mediocre on paper but the same can be said for chicago,Dallas,Indiana,San Antonio and connecticut.Most of the aforementioned teams have more talent,but the talent is unproven,returning from injury or mia(G.Johnson).Hayes/Williams should be all-stars this season.Teams with two all-stars usually make the playoffs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: