Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/27/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Or the Knicks wanting Stephen Curry, but settling for Jordan Hill with the next pick. Or the ABA Dispersal Draft, where the Knicks wanted Moses Malone but settled for Randy Denton with the next pick. Do you see where I'm coming from? Confused

I feel your pain. Like the Pacers getting Steve Stiponvich instead of Ralph Sampson....

But consider this - like the Liberty getting Brittany Boyd and Kia Stokes, instead of Zahui B, Hamby, Parker, Malott, or Logic or the Dream getting Sykes instead Ahkator or SWK.

we got Zahui B with the NEXT year's first round pick instead :\

PostPosted: 08/27/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point is - unless it is the number one pick often the selection is more important than the pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty have clinched at least the #4 seed and will play on Sunday, September 10(time TBA).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/27/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping that the more they win, the less they need the draft help. 20-12 is pretty good for having the flux (some of it unexpected due to Boyd's injury) that they've had at PG.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#3 would be great but I don't really see the need. 5-8 are all about equal and if we get past the single elimination we'll have to play Minn or LA and if we get past that round Minn or LA (unless Conn pulls off the upset) so I'd rather play smart, keep Charles minutes (and injury potential down) and go into the playoffs rested and prepared.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah at this point 3 or 4 has lowered our draft options but we still might be able to get someone useful if not game changing. Someone from my current hopeful list (Nared, Canada, Billings, Nurse) might still be there.

OTOH our pick and a player could get back a decent experienced player or move us up to a decent spot in the draft if anyone is willing to give up their higher pick so we'll be OK.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nevermind, wrong thread.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 08/27/17 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happycappie25

J-Spoon wrote:
#3 would be great but I don't really see the need. 5-8 are all about equal and if we get past the single elimination we'll have to play Minn or LA and if we get past that round Minn or LA (unless Conn pulls off the upset) so I'd rather play smart, keep Charles minutes (and injury potential down) and go into the playoffs rested and prepared.

Well I liked how we did it vs Indy and CHI...get a lead and put the onus on the bench to hold it...was so so and needed to get Charles back in mid 4th to protect vs Indy but Bench gave the team the rest it needed today...can do that vs SA and likely just coast with the field set against Dallas on Sunday...but at home on FAN Night I think the Libs at least try to establish vs a team like SA

Only way getting the #3 seed helps us is if Connecticut also advances to the WNBA Finals(or whoever Connecticut faces in the 2nd round). We'll also avoid Washington in the 2nd round(#5 seed likely).

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Only way getting the #3 seed helps us is if Connecticut also advances to the WNBA Finals(or whoever Connecticut faces in the 2nd round). We'll also avoid Washington in the 2nd round(#5 seed likely).

Assuming there aren't upsets in the first round, avoiding Washington in the 2nd round would mean a do-or-die game vs. Phoenix. That wasn't fun last season. I'd rather play Washington in that situation.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Assuming there aren't upsets in the first round, avoiding Washington in the 2nd round would mean a do-or-die game vs. Phoenix. That wasn't fun last season. I'd rather play Washington in that situation.

If the seeding remains the same, I see Dallas taking out Phoenix in the first round.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/27/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Phoenix has 10 new players. Taurasi and Griner are back, but Taylor, Bonner, and Dupree are gone. Also, I don't expect them to go 24 for 24 at the free throw line again no matter who is on the team.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, the Liberty are a much more talented team than Phoenix.

But really, do you want to play Diana Taurasi (even an old one) and Brittany Griner in a single elimination game, if you can help it?

PostPosted: 08/27/17 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can think of 10 good arguments for why it would be better to play Phoenix than Washington in round two. But Griner and especially Taurasi scare me more than Delle Donne or Meeseman. If it were a three-out-of-five series, I'd rather play Phoenix. But in just one do-or-die game, everything is risky.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

But really, do you want to play Diana Taurasi (even an old one) and Brittany Griner in a single elimination game, if you can help it?

I didn't see this as I was writing my comment just above. But this is exactly what I was getting at. My answer is "no," I definitely do not want to see Taurasi and Griner in a single elimination game.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is pretty much what I meant about 5-8 being pretty equal. All four teams could beat us, we match up well against Seattle but Stewart is amaazing and if Loyd and Bird our on they can beat us. Dallas has the least experience but is pretty athletic again if Diggins and GloJo play their A game we will struggle with them. PX has Griner and DT Griner can kill us if our Centers aren't scoring and Taurasi is a fierce competitor, and Washington with EDD, Messeman and Toliver again playing their A game can easily beat us. I thnk we are slightly better than all of those teams as our record shows but all four can beat us in a 1 game elimination so I don't think it matters too much who we face from that group, which is why the 3 or 4 seed seems irrelevant. Unless both is and Conn pull of upsets against Minny and LA and then we get the home court against the Sun, but I'm not counting on that, and in a weird way I think I'd rather avoid Conn more than anyone in the playoffs (no offense to LA or Minn), so I'm really hoping that it doesn't play out that way.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any team that has big perimeter scoring (or one perimeter scorer who carries you) can beat you in an elimination game. Phoenix adds the brutal element of defending Griner. While I'm wary of Seattle and D.C., Phoenix worries me a little more.

I'd love to somehow play Dallas. I think they have the least chance of beating us. Their fourth quarter offense regularly breaks down and they're a terrible defensive team. Oh and they have almost no playoff experience. I'd give them little to no chance of beating us at home.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I didn't see this as I was writing my comment just above. But this is exactly what I was getting at. My answer is "no," I definitely do not want to see Taurasi and Griner in a single elimination game.

I think you're disrespecting Taylor, Bonner, and DuPree. You're turning them into minor actors in Phoenix's success. There are people who feel Penny's been the glue to this team and that they can't win anything without her. Taurasi and Griner alone are not enough on most nights. That's not to say the Mercury couldn't still win this year -- anything can happen in single elimination. But Taurasi and Griner combined for 52 points in that playoff game, and they still needed 20 from Taylor, 14 from Dupree, plus 24 for 24 shooting from the FT line to get it done. The Phoenix ball movement was superb in that game. They shared the ball in a way I didn't see them do all season. It was the Mercury team performance that got them that win -- not just superhuman effort by any individual. A much better Phoenix team had to play their A+ game to beat us last year. At this stage, the trio of EDD, Meesseman, and Toliver plus their supporting cast worry me more than Phoenix. If DC is able to get their act together, I think they can play a lot better than what we saw on Friday. Whether the Mystics get there in the short time remaining is another story.

As I've said in the past, I'm not hoping to play any team in particular. If you want to be the champion, then you can't be afraid of anyone. Either you're the best or you're not. Plus, I've been around long enough to heed the phrase, "be careful what you wish for."

PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I think you're disrespecting Taylor, Bonner, and DuPree. You're turning them into minor actors in Phoenix's success. There are people who feel Penny's been the glue to this team and that they can't win anything without her. Taurasi and Griner alone are not enough on most nights. That's not to say the Mercury couldn't still win this year -- anything can happen in single elimination. But Taurasi and Griner combined for 52 points in that playoff game, and they still needed 20 from Taylor, 14 from Dupree, plus 24 for 24 shooting from the FT line to get it done. The Phoenix ball movement was superb in that game. They shared the ball in a way I didn't see them do all season. It was the Mercury team performance that got them that win -- not just superhuman effort by any individual. A much better Phoenix team had to play their A+ game to beat us last year. At this stage, the trio of EDD, Meesseman, and Toliver plus their supporting cast worry me more than Phoenix. If DC is able to get their act together, I think they can play a lot better than what we saw on Friday. Whether the Mystics get there in the short time remaining is another story.

As I've said in the past, I'm not hoping to play any team in particular. If you want to be the champion, then you can't be afraid of anyone. Either you're the best or you're not. Plus, I've been around long enough to heed the phrase, "be careful what you wish for."

Sorry, just not with you on this. You are very focused on the stats from that one game that ended our 2016 season. I'm not. I'm not disrespecting anyone and certainly not outstanding players like Taylor, Bonner, and Dupree. All I'm saying is that Taurasi and Griner are terrific and I don't like the thought of a do-or-die game against them. And I don't seem to be alone in that concern.

As for how champions shouldn't be afraid of anyone, I'm not on the Liberty roster. If I'm afraid of Taurasi and Griner, that doesn't hurt New York one bit. Bill Laimbeer and the Liberty players don't care who I'm afraid of. I'm not going to be a champion when the 2017 playoffs are over, but I hope the coaches and players of my team will be.

Similarly, as for "be careful what you wish for," it doesn't affect anything what I wish for. That doesn't decide who plays whom in the playoffs. If we play Washington in the second round and lose, is it my fault for hoping we can bypass Phoenix? I don't think so.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you're both making good points. LFO said something in the post game presser that I was totally on board with. Paraphrasing but something to the effect of "it's about us now". Meaning if they play their game what they do is within their own control no matter who they play.

On the other hand, I also think the one and done adds a different element because any freaking thing can happen. Phoenix is 16-17 but if Griner decides to dominate and DT hits 5 or 6 contested 3s any team might be at their mercy including LA or Minnesota. I'd be less uptight playing Phoenix in a best of 5 (where their lack of depth would probably wear them down) than in one game. So I get feeling like we'd rather not play them. However, I'm with RT in one particular way. This team is way easier to defend than they were last year. They don't have the firepower to spread the floor. If you contain DT, you're not likely to lose to them.

But I get it. Griner is unique and forces teams to defend differently compared to any other player. Ever.

So basically I'm taking a stand and agreeing with you both. Just another slow-paced quagmire.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty psyched for the playoffs.

I think we've reversed our pattern from our previous two seasons. We had our injury in the beginning of the season, our confused and mediocre play in the middle of the season, and we seem to be having the putting it all together winning part of the season now. A little rest, combined with maintaining our momentum and I think we could actually make some noise in the post season.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/28/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think you're both making good points. LFO said something in the post game presser that I was totally on board with. Paraphrasing but something to the effect of "it's about us now". Meaning if they play their game what they do is within their own control no matter who they play.

On the other hand, I also think the one and done adds a different element because any freaking thing can happen. Phoenix is 16-17 but if Griner decides to dominate and DT hits 5 or 6 contested 3s any team might be at their mercy including LA or Minnesota. I'd be less uptight playing Phoenix in a best of 5 (where their lack of depth would probably wear them down) than in one game. So I get feeling like we'd rather not play them. However, I'm with RT in one particular way. This team is way easier to defend than they were last year. They don't have the firepower to spread the floor. If you contain DT, you're not likely to lose to them.

But I get it. Griner is unique and forces teams to defend differently compared to any other player. Ever.

So basically I'm taking a stand and agreeing with you both. Just another slow-paced quagmire.

Yes, Phoenix is less dangerous than last season with Taylor, Bonner, and Dupree gone. No question. I still find the idea of a do-or-die game against them scary. I wouldn't feel that way about three-out-of-five.

I hate that in a 12-team league the 3rd and 4th seeds have to play do-or-die games in the second round. Really hate it. And I'd feel that way if New York were finishing 1st, 2nd, 5th, or 12th.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

I hate that in a 12-team league the 3rd and 4th seeds have to play do-or-die games in the second round. Really hate it. And I'd feel that way if New York were finishing 1st, 2nd, 5th, or 12th.

I thought it was a lot of fun last year (of course, Phoenix fan), but I also see how it's problematic. I guess having homecourt and a first round bye are the advantages.

When it comes to Phoenix, obviously I'm selfishly hoping to avoid them because I'd rather my two favorite teams didn't meet in the playoffs. (I'd like Phoenix to get knocked out by Minnesota again, Thank you very much. Laughing )

Here's my take on it, Phoenix was more talented last season..technically. But a lot of the talent was old and hurt. They're a better team this season. I actually think we could win a game against Minnesota in the playoffs if we could get there. Wink But truly, they're dangerous. They were one of the best teams in the league prior to Griner being injured, and she's back. DT in the playoffs is going to be different than DT in the regular season. They're scary.

However, New York is just plain good. They're the best team in the league with Hartley starting (record wise). More importantly, BL thinks they're good. This is a team with a legit shot at a title. And not a 5% chance, but a "Sparks and Lynx aren't the only kid in town" kind of way. (CT isn't there yet, IMO.) So if it all came down to it, I'd probably root against Diana for the first time in my life. They aren't going to improve too much offensively in the playoffs, but I think they can be even better defensively (It's a BL team..), which is what will matter anyway.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Yes, Phoenix is less dangerous than last season with Taylor, Bonner, and Dupree gone. No question. I still find the idea of a do-or-die game against them scary. I wouldn't feel that way about three-out-of-five.

Agree. Third and fourth place teams should not be playing one and dones. I thought the same thing as soon as the format was announced.

PostPosted: 08/28/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly I hate the 1 & done. the 3rd or 4th seed doesn't really matter in my opinion because anything can happen, they should expand it to 3 game series. It sucks last year was heartbreaking to watch, because all of that work for nothing down the drain over 1 game? what if that happens again this year? It wouldn't surprise me one bit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 77 of 80

Jump to: