RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/17 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty just posted a video on Facebook of the team practicing at the Riverside Epicenter. Sugar is seen practicing with them team. Hope she plays tomorrow.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 07/02/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3sXSTs62GGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/03/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right from the beginning of the season, with no thought of losing Boyd, I wasn't as impressed with our team's level of talent as some Liberty fans. I felt that for the team to be successful at least two of our four third-year players would have to take a significant step forward in their level of play. Perhaps Boyd would have. We'll never know. But the season is almost half over and the results from Rebecca Allen, Zahui B., and Stokes (apart from a short, great stretch) have been rather disappointing.

Judging our current roster--without Boyd, with what we've been seeing from our third-year players--I'm not all that impressed with the talent level of the team. We're at .500. Seems about right for the players we have. I'm not convinced that our current roster would be significantly better with any other coach.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing to worry about unless there is a plethora of injures that plague the team or Tina Charles gets injured(knock on wood) New York will be in the playoffs. When looking at their schedule, there are probably four or five teams that they may struggle with. They play Chicago, PHX,Indiana , ATL, DAL, SA in the remaining schedule. If they play like they are supposed to, they should not have too much trouble winning against these teams due to their advantages at certain positions.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player development is an important part of a coach's job. If your young players played well last season, went on to have success overseas, and then suddenly become ineffective, well doesn't the coaching staff bear some responsibility? We gave Laimbeer credit for being ahead of schedule in 2015. We gave him credit last season for winning games while also developing young players. He also got credit for "stealing" Zahui B. and Schimmel in trades. So, now that things are going badly, are we going to absolve him of all blame and simply point our fingers at the players? New management in most team sports usually comes in with a five-year plan. This is Laimbeer's fifth year. If the talent isn't good enough, then who is to blame? Isn't he largely responsible for acquiring these players? And if the talent is good enough, then the coaching staff is responsible for team performance -- bad or good. You can make excuses for a couple of years, maybe even three. By year five, short of injuries, there's nowhere to hide. Yes, Boyd is injured and she looked good before going down. However, she played a total of 32 minutes. It's not like she was on a certain path toward being an all-star.

The thing that has bothered me the most these last five seasons is the Liberty constantly losing in blowouts. Even in 2015, having the best record in the league didn't prevent us from incurring several lopsided losses. When things go badly, it's like we're punching bags. Sure, every team loses a blowout now and then. However, the persistence of these embarrassments across seasons with different rosters indicates to me that there is something fundamentally wrong. It speaks to the coaching staff's over-reliance on system or style of play. Either they're inflexible or they're unable to make in-game adjustments. Both are severe limitations.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Player development is an important part of a coach's job. If your young players played well last season, went on to have success overseas, and then suddenly become ineffective, well doesn't the coaching staff bear some responsibility? We gave Laimbeer credit for being ahead of schedule in 2015. We gave him credit last season for winning games while also developing young players. He also got credit for "stealing" Zahui B. and Schimmel in trades. So, now that things are going badly, are we going to absolve him of all blame and simply point our fingers at the players? New management in most team sports usually comes in with a five-year plan. This is Laimbeer's fifth year. If the talent isn't good enough, then who is to blame? Isn't he largely responsible for acquiring these players? And if the talent is good enough, then the coaching staff is responsible for team performance -- bad or good. You can make excuses for a couple of years, maybe even three. By year five, short of injuries, there's nowhere to hide. Yes, Boyd is injured and she looked good before going down. However, she played a total of 32 minutes. It's not like she was on a certain path toward being an all-star.

The thing that has bothered me the most these last five seasons is the Liberty constantly losing in blowouts. Even in 2015, having the best record in the league didn't prevent us from incurring several lopsided losses. When things go badly, it's like we're punching bags. Sure, every team loses a blowout now and then. However, the persistence of these embarrassments across seasons with different rosters indicates to me that there is something fundamentally wrong. It speaks to the coaching staff's over-reliance on system or style of play. Either they're inflexible or they're unable to make in-game adjustments. Both are severe limitations.

Nice job of putting words in my mouth. Did I "absolve him (Bill Laimbeer) of all blame and simply point (our) fingers at the players"? I didn't come within a mile of that. I said I'm not convinced that our current roster would be better with any other coach. I stand by that statement. By what I said, not any exaggeration of what I said.

If it'll make you happier for me to say that Bill Laimbeer and the coaching staff bear some responsibility for the team's current problems, I have no problem with saying that. And now I have for you and everyone to see.

I didn't in any way address previous seasons or roster decisions. I made no overall comment on the roster from previous seasons, on Bill Laimbeer's job as a coach in previous seasons, or on front office personnel decisions.

I'm not as impressed as some Liberty fans with the team's current level of talent. So, yes, Bill Laimbeer has a significant responsibility there, along with Kristin Bernert (for decisions in previous years), sexual harasser Isiah Thomas, and now presumably Swin Cash. Moreover, I've believed all along that Bill Laimbeer was the key figure in these decisions--even after he lost the title of GM--and I've said that here even when others have challenged it.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Well said. co-Sign X_____________________

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/04/17 2:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a Laimbeer fan. But separating that let's remember that we've only had Piph and Rodgers in the starting lineup together for 3 of our 14 games, and those were early season games, two of which were against Minny and LA. Let's see what we do when we have them both together.

Also, I'm not so ready to pin Stokes' issues on Laimbeer. She had one phenomenal set of games so obviously something is in there. Her foul shooting has improved so that part was worked on. And she doesn't rebound or block and alter shots consistently, which are her strengths already. If she's not doing things she's naturally good at, then something is probably wrong separate from coaching.

Zahui is a different story. But not everyone develops at the same rate. Sugar has. Boyd was on her way.

I have a different take on the whole thing. I don't love how the team was put together in the first place, something I think Laimbeer does have a major influence on. I thought some things would be different, but the one thing that really worried me coming into the season was a disproportionate reliance on Stokes to anchor the D. I felt that if anything went wrong with that, what we're built on would no longer be. I think that's been proven true. Offensively we were up to sixth in efficiency heading into D.C. I think with Sugar back offense won't be a problem. But to be a great team we need to be a dominant defensive and rebounding team. And we aren't. And that speaks to how the team is built and how often it gets physically neutralized. Which these days happens often. Even against DC our defense was good. Our rebounding was ordinary. Without Stokes at her best, the component of our team that controls that part of the game isn't there with the same consistency. Our rebounding % is .521, which is good. But I'd bet that percentage is disproportionately tied to NY winning 5 of 6 in June, especially the 3 double-digit rebounding games Kiah had.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Nice job of putting words in my mouth. Did I "absolve him (Bill Laimbeer) of all blame and simply point (our) fingers at the players"? I didn't come within a mile of that. I said I'm not convinced that our current roster would be better with any other coach. I stand by that statement. By what I said, not any exaggeration of what I said.

If it'll make you happier for me to say that Bill Laimbeer and the coaching staff bear some responsibility for the team's current problems, I have no problem with saying that. And now I have for you and everyone to see.

I didn't in any way address previous seasons or roster decisions. I made no overall comment on the roster from previous seasons, on Bill Laimbeer's job as a coach in previous seasons, or on front office personnel decisions.

I'm not as impressed as some Liberty fans with the team's current level of talent. So, yes, Bill Laimbeer has a significant responsibility there, along with Kristin Bernert (for decisions in previous years), sexual harasser Isiah Thomas, and now presumably Swin Cash. Moreover, I've believed all along that Bill Laimbeer was the key figure in these decisions--even after he lost the title of GM--and I've said that here even when others have challenged it.

I think you're indulging your ego. Yes, some of what I said was in response to your post, but mostly it addressed what people have been saying here in general. Separately, I also expressed some feelings about things that bothered me over the last few years. Most of what I wrote had nothing to do with you.

I'm not calling for a coaching change at the moment. Just to make that clear, I'm bringing over what I wrote on the last game thread:

root_thing wrote:
As I've been saying all along, Laimbeer is trying to figure it out. They lost three starters, and even though two were faux starters, it still changes the rotations. On top of that, I think he finally came to the realization that you can't win championships anymore playing 2000's grind-it-out basketball. So, he's trying to find some other way of playing. Then, throw in some real or self-inflicted problems with the young players, and now he really has a giant puzzle to solve. That four-game winning streak was a mirage. He was just piecing it together while Prince and Vaughn were away. Three of those games took advantage of Stokes pushing people around, but obviously opposing coaches were going to adjust. So, now Laimbeer is back to square one. The new stuff isn't working and the old stuff isn't working. The Liberty are now 7th in defensive rating and 9th in offense. That's probably not a lottery team, but it's bottom playoff with the trend going downward. I said after the 2014 season that Laimbeer should hire a lifer-type coach who knows everything about Xs and Os. I still think that's the case. He's a good leader in the sense that he communicates well and his players seem to like him. They play hard for him. I just don't think Bill is up to snuff when it comes to the Xs and Os, and it doesn't seem like Katie and Herb are helping either.

New York is sitting in the middle of the pack and they have 20 games left -- over half the season. That's plenty of time to turn things around. And as I said in an earlier post, I'm more interested in playing well going into the playoffs than I am in having a great regular season record.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to inject a few positives. Tina is shooting .450. Piph is shooting .394. Sugar is shooting .361. I would bet that having all 3 together will push all those numbers up. Also, in spite of my criticisms of the defense and rebounding, they are at least trending upward in defense at 6th in efficiency. For the type of team we have, that stll isn't good enough, but at least we are trending the right way. However, I also think the schedule favors us after the next two road games. My goal would now be, split the next two, hopefully with a win over Seattle to get the tiebreaker. Right now we are only half a game out of the 4 seed in a situation where we are capable of playing much better. Like Root, I want to get hot at the right time for a change, and particularly have Kiah rediscover her defensive and rebounding abilities. If she's a nightly factor and we keep everyone else healthy, the Liberty are capable of beating anyone.

Regarding the schedule, after these next two games we are done with Seattle and Phoenix, two teams we have had trouble with in recent years. We have 6 with Chicago and Indiana combined, teams we should beat in terms of matchups and their respective deficiencies in either offense or defense. Two against SAS, same deal. Right there would be an expectation of winning 7 of 8. Here is what we have left:

-vs DC (2)
-vs CT, at CT
-vs CHI (2), at CHI
-vs IND, at IND (2)
-vs MIN, at MIN
-vs LA, at LA
-vs SAS, at SAS
-at ATL
-at DAL
-at SEA
-at PHX

Sooner or later my expectation is that Kiah will step up and help us go on a run. Meanwhile I'm looking for splits vs. DC and CT, 7 of 8 vs. CHI, SAS and IND, 1 of 4 against the top 2 teams and split vs. the 4 teams on the bottom. That gets us to 19-15, and maybe we can steal a couple more if we get hot at the right time and go into the playoffs on a roll.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill is one of the best coaches in the game. He's a great strategist, pretty decent in trades (how did he get the 'trader bill' sobriquet?), and seems to get good things from some marginal players (looking at Swords for instance). Is he perfect? Of course not. But those who want to replace him, I'd like to hear who you'd replace him with?

NY fans are a fickle bunch. Razz

Coming in to the year, there were a lot of question marks, with SF being one of the biggest. It's still a problem. I've always liked Zellous and she's doing a decent job there, but she really isn't a SF in this day and age. We also thought PG was a question mark with hopes that Boyd would fill that gap. Again, Piph is not really a PG so playing her there is not to best advantage...but she's the best you have there in the moment (and it's not even close). Losing Piph for a bunch of games hurt. Losing Sugar even for a few games hurts. Essentially what you have is one all star player (who sometimes falls in love with her outside shot), two very good players who have missed time, a few (very few) decent role players, one significant injury, and a pretty big zero on the bench. All in all I would suggest that perhaps your expectations have been a bit high.

One of the problems coaching in NY is that the team is never in the lottery so acquiring all star level players is pretty tricky. Essentially you got Tina because she demanded to come. You got Piph because Cappie demanded to come, then got traded for Piph. Sugar was a development project that worked out (giving Bill credit here). I didn't understand the trade that sent Swords into obscurity and ineffectiveness on the left coast. Vaughn is a decent, if undersized post. I guess the presumption was that Stokes would play starter's minutes and Vaughn could back her up. The thing is - for a team whose best player is a PF who prefers to play outside - that team needs inside presence/rebounding more than just about anything else. Swords was pretty decent at that the way she was being used (I give Bill credit for figuring out the best way to use her). Vaughn works hard but is not a defensive presence. And Hartley, IMO has never shown shit since she's been a pro. She may in fact be having her best year this year but it's still pretty marginal. I think she's still in the league because she played at UConn so the aura protects her for awhile. Ekunwe has shown a few bright moments and I think could be developed. Don't know what the story is with Zahui and Stokes but NY is still in need of a big post!

All in all, it's a decent team with a record to match. You're headed for the playoffs again so no lottery balls next year. But the draft is indeed deep so perhaps Bill can find a gem at #7 or 8.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/04/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I want to . . . have Kiah rediscover her defensive and rebounding abilities. If she's a nightly factor and we keep everyone else healthy, the Liberty are capable of beating anyone.

Sooner or later my expectation is that Kiah will step up and help us go on a run.

Keep on waiting if you're an optimist. Fans who have followed her seven basketball seasons since entering UConn are still waiting. Stokes's production per minute on points, rebounds and blocks is worse in the WNBA than during her four year UConn career as a bench player, and, indeed, worse than her freshman year at UConn.

PPM
UConn freshman: 0.34
UConn career: 0.27
WNBA career: 0.25

RPM
UConn freshman: 0.34
UConn career: 0.36
WNBA career: 0.28

BPM
UConn freshman: 0.10
UConn career: 0.14
WNBA career: 0.07
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/04/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah. Just a realist. There's no reason she can't be as consistent this year as she's been the previous two. The fact that her rebounds and blocks are close to collegiate level isn't a bad sign in my eyes. The quality of play is tougher yet she still has the tools to be a force in those areas.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
New York is sitting in the middle of the pack and they have 20 games left -- over half the season. That's plenty of time to turn things around. And as I said in an earlier post, I'm more interested in playing well going into the playoffs than I am in having a great regular season record.

Hey, best-case scenario season is finishing 8th, getting the 5th pick in the draft, then winning all of two games to end up in a best-of-five semi-final series that you'd have been in if you'd finished 1st. Significantly stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why tank when we can still get a high quality player at picks #5 - #8?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully we win 4 of next 5 (3 at home) to end the draft discussion. I surely didn't think draft position would be a topic of conversation at this point.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

again, considering the cellar dwellers in the league this year, I doubt we fall lower than a #6 seed.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Conversely - why make the playoff(s) to get maybe one lousy game in front of a nearly empty arena (whether home or away), likely lose money on deal and have a 0% chance of winning the championship when you can have a 10% chance (or better) of getting the No. 1 pick? For 7or 8 of the WNBA teams this season, I don't see any benefit in making the playoffs - the tank may be very crowded come August. For teams that can put 8-10k fans in the seats for a home game it may be worth it finanically. The rest of the teams seem to have playoff games in front of hundreds rather than thousands of fans.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think we're finishing 4. It stands to reason we will be better with 4 healthy scorers at the same time.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I still think we're finishing 4. It stands to reason we will be better with 4 healthy scorers at the same time.

I think finishing 4th is a reasonable guess. But right now there's only a one game difference between Phoenix in 4th and Atlanta in 10th. I'm not convinced that any of these seven teams is dramatically better or worse than the others. They could still all be very close after 34 games.

I'd never root for my team to tank. But I haven't and don't see this year's Liberty team as a genuine championship contender. With that in mind, I won't be crushed if we finish 6th, 8th, even 10th instead of 4th. Yes, it's likely to be a deep draft, but having a higher pick could be quite valuable.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Hey, best-case scenario season is finishing 8th, getting the 5th pick in the draft, then winning all of two games to end up in a best-of-five semi-final series that you'd have been in if you'd finished 1st. Significantly stranger things have happened.

yep that would be the Perfect storm.

Other then Minnesota and LA, we can beat. but who knows we get hot and make a miracle run and win the whole damn thing lol

toad455

PostPosted: 07/04/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#3 seed is reasonable. Washington can't win games vs. strong post teams(Minnesota, Los Angeles, Connecticut)..

Shades

PostPosted: 07/04/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Conversely - why make the playoff(s) to get maybe one lousy game in front of a nearly empty arena (whether home or away), likely lose money on deal and have a 0% chance of winning the championship when you can have a 10% chance (or better) of getting the No. 1 pick? For 7or 8 of the WNBA teams this season, I don't see any benefit in making the playoffs - the tank may be very crowded come August. For teams that can put 8-10k fans in the seats for a home game it may be worth it finanically. The rest of the teams seem to have playoff games in front of hundreds rather than thousands of fans.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/04/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really. The last time Atlanta was in the lottery they traded away a pick that could have been Jonquel Jones.

PostPosted: 07/04/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well Shades if you had lived in Atlanta for almost 40 years and only seen one playoffs with a happy ending (95 Braves) and that in a sport you didn't really care about, you might be a bit jaded too. Despite the Dream, Hawks, Braves and Falcons making the playoffs quite often save for once it has been a cruel joke. For the Dream its ended in 9 straight losses in the finals - 3 of 3 sweeps. Fans on Rebkell frequently posted they were sick of weak EC teams (like the Dream) getting blown out every year. And please don't even bring up the team that blew the biggest lead in SB history. I realize the Lynx need a punching bag, but I'd rather it was another team. We get blown out enough by them in the regular season to satisfy me.

Doesn't mean I don't want my team to win. Every game I go to or watch, I want them to win. I accept that they may not and often don't expect them to win. I am all the more pleased if they do. What the other STH think I haven't a clue, nor do I care (If I did I would ask them). I just am saying making the playoffs is overrated unless the team is true contender, and not just a pretender, or worse. As to why we play the game - its to win the game - without thinking about the next game, the playoff(s) or the next season. If winning the game isn't enough to make one want to go, then they should stay home.

As for Draft picks - Sykes and Gray were both there at No. 4. Cooper has brought in Williams, Clarendon, Holmes and Sykes since last season - I'd say he's doing pretty well, despite missing on Jones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 69 of 80

Jump to: