Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/03/16 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So if SF is the position to fix lets look at all the options

I'm not going to count SG who can play SF since we have that in Zellous and/or Wright, or players who can swing to SF like Stewart, EDD, or Ogwumike as I think they are posts

NY What we have now
Zellous/Allen

Atl
McCoughtry/Holmes
Conn
A. Thomas/Stricklen
WAS
TRP/Copper
Indy
Coleman/S. Johnson
Chi
Young/Laney
LA
Carson/?
Minny
Moore/Hampton
Seattle
Clark/O'Hea/Wright
Dallas
Christmas/Powers/Hooper
SA
Currie/Gwathmey/Montgomery
PX
Bonner/Petrovic

So when you remove players that seem very unlikely to be available, and players that are not better than what we already have the list gets short fast

top tier
A. Thomas, Christmas, Clark

other options (but are they better)
Currie, Coleman, S. Johnson, O'hea

draft possibilities to trade up for
Deshields, Walker-Kimbrough, Coffey, Scaife, Epps, Davis (not sure if a few of those would be considered big enough to be considered true SF rather than SG who can play some 3)

So Christmas seems like the best option, we would probably have to be willing to trade Rodgers for her, or Stokes, unless she is an UFA and we could tempt her with a starting spot on a team that is closer to a ship than Dallas is currently. I really like A. Thomas but unless Miller wants to go in a different direction I'm not sure we could get her, and it it would cost us Rodgers or Stokes IMO. If O'hea or S. Johnson are UFA I'd make an offer. Clark for Swords is an intersting idea, Clark for Stokes (or maybe Zahui B.) seems more like what Seattle would want.

Just bumping this post in reference to filling the SF spot I'm not sure how we can realistically improve on the Zellous/Allen combo.

I'd take a swing at A. Thomas, K. Christmas or A. Clark with the idea that Rodgers and Swords are pretty much all we have to offer as trade pieces that could accomplish anything.

So Rodgers for Thomas or Christmas? It is a little more intriguing if Christmas is an UFA. On the other hand Powers just had hip surgery and is out 4-6 months and who knows how long it will be before she is fully healthy so I'm sure Dallas will want to keep Christmas, heck they could even core her since none of their other stars become UFA for a couple of seasons. I'd love to get A. Thomas but why would Conn be willing to trade her? With Ogwumike out Thomas becomes one of their best players, and she could even swing to the PF spot for the Sun now.

Swords for Clark? or maybe S. Johnson or Copper if Was drafts another wing at #2 and wants some size.

Would K. Griffin be worth taking a look at, she's doing great in Australia, would she be a step up from Allen?

Trade up? People thought I was crazy when I suggested we could get a first round pick for Montgomery and it happened so I think we might be able to get #6 for Swords (Seattle really needs a defensive big) if not #6 maybe #8 from Indy or #10 from Dallas. We'd be targeting Walker-Kimbrough or Coffey with that move, but are they going to be better than Allen Zellous in the next couple of season? And I've already put out there the super crazy package Rodgers and Swords to try and get Deshields at #1, Was might bite if she falls to #2 but that is a big risk.

PS don't want to trade Rodgers but she is our most valuable trade asset.

My real point is I think it will be challenging for us to improve our lot at SF, and to do so we will have to sacrifice a player that was very important to our success last season.

On the other subject I don't think we start Boyd next season if we keep both Rodgers and Prince (and/or if Wright is still on the team) which I still think is more likely than trading Sugar for an unknown. Boyd will get more minutes off the bench so she will have one more year to develop into being a starter.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/03/16 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose you could take a "swing" at Alyssa Thomas, because you'd be dealing with Miller, but I find it hard to believe they'd deal her with Ogwumike likely out. They'll probably put Thomas at PF.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/03/16 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I suppose you could take a "swing" at Alyssa Thomas, because you'd be dealing with Miller, but I find it hard to believe they'd deal her with Ogwumike likely out. They'll probably put Thomas at PF.

If Little doesnt stay then yes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 12/03/16 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way Rodgers gets traded with Prince's health in question. I strongly believe she'll be starting at SG come May.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/16 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
the days of 2s as starting 3s are over IMHO

The Sparks just won the championship with a SG starting at SF

PostPosted: 12/03/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

People thought I was crazy when I suggested we could get a first round pick for Montgomery and it happened so I think we might be able to get #6 for Swords (Seattle really needs a defensive big) if not #6 maybe #8 from Indy or #10 from Dallas.

Everyone went from thinking you were crazy to thinking Dan Hughes is crazy... and it turns out we were right. Would you rather have Brittney Boyd right now or Alex Montgomery? As for Seattle, I'd use that pick to go after Bone rather than Swords. You'd probably have to add something else to the deal, but to me that's a better long-term solution. Otherwise, if I'm the Storm, I'd go after RFA Kayla Alexander who is underappreciated by SAS. Speaking of SAS and Montgomery, if Liberty fans really want a defensive SF to go with Allen, there's a good chance that Alex is a UFA. I'm gonna really go out on a limb and guess that she won't be cored. So there's an option that won't cost us anything.

Regarding anyone else that was mentioned, the only one that interests me is Christmas. I like Alyssa Thomas, but I wouldn't trade Rodgers for her. It's a matter of fit. NY needs outside shooting and that happens to be Alyssa's weakness. Clark is undersized and only a stop-gap measure even for Seattle. As far as college players go, I don't see the point. Between NY and Slovakia, Allen is shooting 98-200 49% overall, and 41-76 54% from 3 pt range. Right now, she's like the tall athletic version of Laurie Koehn. Coffey and Walker-Kimbrough are not better offensively (and SWK is undersized for a pro SF). If you're worried about defense, rookies are almost always subpar defensively. I also think that it's total bullshit to blame Allen for NY's poor defense after the break. OK, Laimbeer sat Bec down for the playoff game against Phoenix. What did that accomplish? Oh yes, they held the Mercury to only 101 points. Rolling Eyes There's nothing wrong with Allen's individual defense -- the issue was NY's overall team defense. Maybe too predictable? For that, Bill needs to look in the mirror.

Honestly, I'd be reluctant to trade Rodgers at all. I'm with Toad when it comes to Prince. I'm not betting on her health. Dynamo Kursk brought in Anna Cruz to replace Piph as the starting PG 2 or 3 weeks ago. Prince played 29 minutes in each of her last two games: 4 pts and zero assists on 11/27, zero pts and 3 assists on 11/30. Yes, the team has Angel and Nneka so Piph doesn't need to score. Still, it's not like Prince is on the team for her defense. She's had a few good games here and there, but no consistency. I think you can look at what happened with Diggins this season. She'd have a great game, and then follow up with two bad games. That may very well be what we can expect from Piph. I think Boyd needs to step up and become the starting PG. If you go back to page 1 of this thread, 4th post, I break down her numbers for the last 19 games of the regular season. She played pretty well. All Boyd needs to do is learn how to make a few more layups and she's fine. Unfortunately, her numbers in Poland indicate that she's still missing them. Confused Also, she hasn't played in the last two games, so I'm not sure what that means. Injured? Dropped from the team? Hopefully she's healthy, and wherever she is Brittany needs to work on her layups. It's ridiculous that she hasn't fixed the problem yet... although I just watched Tiffany Mitchell miss about a half dozen bunnies in a Euroleague game. Maybe the women's ball really is too light.

Bear in mind, as recently as early last season, the Liberty could barely find anyone other than Sugar to hit a jumpshot. It's possible that we now have two of the best long-range shooters in the league in Rodgers and Allen. If you want teams to stop doubling, tripling, quadrupling Tina in the paint, then you need shooters who can stretch the floor. I think we have to find a way to make the starting lineup work with Allen and Rodgers included.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/03/16 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

People thought I was crazy when I suggested we could get a first round pick for Montgomery and it happened so I think we might be able to get #6 for Swords (Seattle really needs a defensive big) if not #6 maybe #8 from Indy or #10 from Dallas.

Everyone went from thinking you were crazy to thinking Dan Hughes is crazy... and it turns out we were right. Would you rather have Brittney Boyd right now or Alex Montgomery? As for Seattle, I'd use that pick to go after Bone rather than Swords. You'd probably have to add something else to the deal, but to me that's a better long-term solution. Otherwise, if I'm the Storm, I'd go after RFA Kayla Alexander who is underappreciated by SAS. Speaking of SAS and Montgomery, if Liberty fans really want a defensive SF to go with Allen, there's a good chance that Alex is a UFA. I'm gonna really go out on a limb and guess that she won't be cored. So there's an option that won't cost us anything.

Regarding anyone else that was mentioned, the only one that interests me is Christmas. I like Alyssa Thomas, but I wouldn't trade Rodgers for her. It's a matter of fit. NY needs outside shooting and that happens to be Alyssa's weakness. Clark is undersized and only a stop-gap measure even for Seattle. As far as college players go, I don't see the point. Between NY and Slovakia, Allen is shooting 98-200 49% overall, and 41-76 54% from 3 pt range. Right now, she's like the tall athletic version of Laurie Koehn. Coffey and Walker-Kimbrough are not better offensively (and SWK is undersized for a pro SF). If you're worried about defense, rookies are almost always subpar defensively. I also think that it's total bullshit to blame Allen for NY's poor defense after the break. OK, Laimbeer sat Bec down for the playoff game against Phoenix. What did that accomplish? Oh yes, they held the Mercury to only 101 points. Rolling Eyes There's nothing wrong with Allen's individual defense -- the issue was NY's overall team defense. Maybe too predictable? For that, Bill needs to look in the mirror.

Honestly, I'd be reluctant to trade Rodgers at all. I'm with Toad when it comes to Prince. I'm not betting on her health. Dynamo Kursk brought in Anna Cruz to replace Piph as the starting PG 2 or 3 weeks ago. Prince played 29 minutes in each of her last two games: 4 pts and zero assists on 11/27, zero pts and 3 assists on 11/30. Yes, the team has Angel and Nneka so Piph doesn't need to score. Still, it's not like Prince is on the team for her defense. She's had a few good games here and there, but no consistency. I think you can look at what happened with Diggins this season. She'd have a great game, and then follow up with two bad games. That may very well be what we can expect from Piph. I think Boyd needs to step up and become the starting PG. If you go back to page 1 of this thread, 4th post, I break down her numbers for the last 19 games of the regular season. She played pretty well. All Boyd needs to do is learn how to make a few more layups and she's fine. Unfortunately, her numbers in Poland indicate that she's still missing them. Confused Also, she hasn't played in the last two games, so I'm not sure what that means. Injured? Dropped from the team? Hopefully she's healthy, and wherever she is Brittany needs to work on her layups. It's ridiculous that she hasn't fixed the problem yet... although I just watched Tiffany Mitchell miss about a half dozen bunnies in a Euroleague game. Maybe the women's ball really is too light.

Bear in mind, as recently as early last season, the Liberty could barely find anyone other than Sugar to hit a jumpshot. It's possible that we now have two of the best long-range shooters in the league in Rodgers and Allen. If you want teams to stop doubling, tripling, quadrupling Tina in the paint, then you need shooters who can stretch the floor. I think we have to find a way to make the starting lineup work with Allen and Rodgers included.

It would be very unusual for Trader Bill to stand pat in the offseason. But it would be an intriguing gamble to plan for a starting lineup of Allen, Charles, Swords, Boyd, and Rodgers. That would leave a very strong bench of Zellous, Zahui B, Stokes, Wright, Prince, Schimmel, and a draft pick.

If this starting lineup worked, then as root_thing suggests it would really stretch the floor and make life so much easier for Tina Charles. Can Allen do the job as our starting SF? Can Boyd do the job as our starting point guard? Maybe and maybe.

As has been discussed above by many, it doesn't look easy to come up with better options via trades or free agency. That's one of the reasons why the suggestion by root_thing seems to me worth lots of consideration.

PostPosted: 12/03/16 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Piph, as long as she is healthy (I believe in May 2017 she will be fine), is a better player than Rodgers, period. And she's a pretty good shooter in her own right. But she also can create her own shot and is a playmaker who helps other players get open shots. Not including the last two throwaway games of 2015, the Liberty were 17-5 with Prince. Rodgers is a terrific shooter, yes, and a solid player. But the Liberty are not a championship-caliber team, or all that close, with Rodgers as the second-best scorer on the team and that's not even open to debate. Besides a standstill 3 and defense, Piph is better at every other aspect of basketball, ball-handling, passing, shot creation, overall moves and scoring. Allen is also an excellent shooter, with to this point no counter moves for tight defense. Her one consistent move is one or two dribbles left followed by a jumper that nearly always misses when she shoots midrange off the dribble.

Now if you tell me that Rodgers is your third-best scorer and Allen is your fourth or fifth best, I can get with that line of thinking. Rodgers can be a third option on a championship-caliber ream. Allen still has untapped upside and Rodgers may too. What Piph gives you that Sugar or Allen never will, however, are the hops to create her own shot and finish consistently near the rim. Plus, they just extended Piph before last season ended, likely at the max. They probably didn't do it just to bring her off the bench.

So where does this leave us? I think the potential answers are very straightforward, though each is not simple. Realistically, I think there's only two options.

1) Piph and Rodgers play together in the backcourt. This means you have to figure out what to do with Wright and Boyd. But it gives you the 3 double-digit scorers you're going to need if you want to compete for a title. I'd be ok with Wright at SF but thinking back to what Bill said about her physical condition early last year, I don't know if she can handle the extra physicality she would have to deal with at the 3 spot.

2) You sign and trade Rodgers, possibly along with other assets, for a third big scorer at SF. And by big scorer that's exactly what I mean. You aren't winning a title without a third big scorer. No team has ever won a title with two double-digit scorers. That third scorer is what will open up the floor for the other two. Depending who the player is, it may not even matter all that much if it's a shooter or not. Angel McCoughtry opens up the floor for her teammates with penetrations. Granted that she is elite in that area. But still, the point remains what it is.

I wouldn't mind Christmas as a role player, but I wouldn't do it straight up for Sugar. And I wouldn't do it to make Christmas my team's third best scorer. Sugar is a better player than Christmas. And Christmas is not a creative enough offensive player to be used in that role. Now if you are telling me Christmas will be a role player you swing between the 2 and 3 spots off the bench I can get with that. While she scored well for Dallas last year, she doesn't fit the Libs' scheme all that well. She's not a slashing type who can score when the floor isn't spaced as wide as it is with Dallas with their high-tempo perimeter game. Her handle isn't very good. She's not a real creative scorer...which would be an issue with the way NY plays offense. Fewer touches early in the shot clock mean having to make more difficult shots if you get the ball later in the shot clock.

Alyssa Thomas is ok, but I feel like she is a player who only scores in a small variety of areas on the floor. I don't really love her defense either. She also isn't great at creating her own shot, and she can't shoot outside of 15 feet anyway. If I had to choose between Piph and Rodgers playing the 1 and 2 or trading Sugar for Thomas, I'd choose option 1 without so much as a second of hesitation. Rodgers is a more versatile offensive player than Thomas by a mile, she's better defensively and she has more upside.

But I do believe the Liberty are going to make a serious off-season run at drafting Diamond Deshields, and using their depth in order to attempt make it happen. While this is purely speculative, I think there's several reasons why the Libs will make an effort to go after her. And yes, I get that Tennessee basketball is down, I know DD has attitude questions and I know that she is raw.

But here's why I think the Libs will make a run at her:

-She's extremely athletic even by pro standards
-She would fit into their offensive scheme because she has ball-handling and passing skills
-She has the body-type to get bigger and stronger...wide shoulders and an upper body that should fill out further with age
-Laimbeer has had success with players who have had attitude questions

You look at these traits, and they all specify precisely what a Laimbeer-coached team is looking for. Furthermore, I think her college stats are misleading because her style of play is absolutely tailor-made for the wider-spaced pro game. You look at an Aerial Powers, who averaged 10 ppg in 19 mpg for Dallas. Then you look at Deshields. Powers has incredible hops and is a strong rebounder in addition to the scoring. Like Deshields, shooting isn't a primary strength. But DD is faster and a significantly better ball-handler and passer than Powers is right now.

Please note this does not mean I am saying the Liberty are going to acquire Diamond Deshields. What I am saying is this is exactly the type of player the Liberty need moving forward, when you look at the position need and the type of player in question. And they know it. I strongly, wholeheartedly believe they are going to make a major effort to acquire Deshields. One thing's for sure. They have quite a few young assets. Rodgers, Boyd, Allen, Zahui.

And they need a third dynamic player to go with Piph and Charles if they are to have any hope of competing for a title. You look at what LA and Minnesota bring to the table, and you have to say the Liberty need another dynamic and versatile player to get closer to that level. And they probably have the young assets to do it.

PostPosted: 12/03/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rodgers and Zahui for #1. Let's write this up.

Just think... you'd be getting #1 in 2017 for #10 in 2017 and a swap of third round picks in 2015 (I think). Quite a bargain.

SAN would get a decent post prospect plus another guard.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/03/16 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one reservation I have about trading Zahui is that I don't like trading players before they reach their potential unless you get peak value. However, you have to give to get too.

How about Sugar, Zahui and NY 2018 #1 for SAS #1 and Danielle Robinson? The Libs would then have enormous flexibility to deal a guard, probably Boyd, for some post depth to fill Zahui's spot. Tina, Kiah and Swords wouldn't be enough.

PostPosted: 12/03/16 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Rodgers and Zahui for #1. Let's write this up.

Just think... you'd be getting #1 in 2017 for #10 in 2017 and a swap of third round picks in 2015 (I think). Quite a bargain.

SAN would get a decent post prospect plus another guard.

And not only that, NY received the Wings' second round pick. I think the difference is 4 spots. This is the point about LFO that I made several years ago. We don't know how much input he had in getting Zahui, but we do know that Zahui is a fit within his philosophy and he was clearly on board with that deal. Rodgers was his personal acquisition. If these players can be turned around for some sort of significant addition, that speaks to how he has built teams in the past as well.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow root puts out a great argument for staying the course, and moving some of the youth (and shooters) into the starting line up as the main plan for improvement by spacing the floor better with the first unit and a vet bench to steady the ship, and I'm convinced. Then NYL_Wnba_Fan ups the ante on the boldest possible swing for the fences move (I've been contemplating/pushing) by offering our #2 option from last year and a young post who could blow up next season for Deshields (a player I love and think could be a superstar, but who others see as a problem, over rated, and possibly the biggest risk of a #1 pick since maybe LaToya Thomas) and I'm back at the reality of NY's situation which is, without another top talent star level player they'll never be more than good, and this kind of risky move might be the only way to accomplish getting next level talent, and that is a trade SA might really consider (I was trying to get it done with Rodgers and Swords). Which way to go, stay the course? Swing for the fences?

It brings me back to the same question I've had all off season, is the current roster good enough to win a championship if growth and health is maintained? I just don't know.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/16 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staying the course is only going to work if Piph and Rodgers share the backcourt. If that's the route the Libs choose, I'm ok with that. But that means you have to figure out what to do with Wright, Boyd and Zellous because your roster is going to be extremely crowded at the 1 and 2 positions. Having 3 consistent scorers is extremely important, so it's either get them both in there or make some moves. But I am also of the mindset that Piph will be ok by May, having shown flashes of her former self in September and being 17 months removed from her injury by the start of the 2017 season. Right now, she's still only at the 12 month mark. Full ACL recovery can take more in the 18 month range, If she's not healthier by February, maybe you assess the situation differently, but you're still on a slippery slope. To keep Rodgers you'll probably have to max her. You've already extended Piph, so that means you have a long-term commitment to her. If both players are extended and retained, you have to do it because both players will be starters, both now and beyond this year. If there's no chance that you want Piph as the long-term PG, then Rodgers has to go. The Libs were capped out early last season, and their only loss this year is Cash's less-than-max contract. I love Rodgers. But from a cap standpoint, it's cost-prohibitive to keep her along with Piph unless your plan is to start them both long-term. That's the bottom line.

I say this assuming Wright is still signed and not a free agent.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Allen was going to be the future for NYL. Everybody was so excited about her. Now if you already show signs that you want to bypass her as a starter, maybe she'll decide to move on. Hard to say though. She seems pretty easygoing.

I'm thinking DeShields is an overly ambition target before she even steps on the WNBA court. Like with Zahui, you'll probably have to hope she has a disappointing rookie year and then swoop in on the cheap.

You could probably get Holmes for cheaper, but why ATL would want to let her go.... I dunno.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily wedded to the idea of staying the course, but I don't see better options that appear realistic IMHO. If Prince can play PG, that's fine. People probably don't remember, but I always thought at the beginning of 2015 that she'd end up at PG. I also said at the time that Rodgers played much better as a starter, and that the best guard combination NY could put on the floor was Prince-Rodgers. This was before Rodgers became the player she is today. However, I'm just not convinced Prince will be the same. Being medically healthy and appearing to be fit is not the same as being basketball ready. We saw that with Carson, who looked fine in her last two seasons with NY, but didn't play that way. Whether it's a lack of explosiveness, a lack of confidence in her knee or actual erosion of skill, she wasn't the same. Now, we've talked about how injuries affect the athletically-based player more than the skill-based player, and Prince might be more of the latter. Nonetheless, she's looking rocky at the moment, and I wouldn't be making any deals until I was more convinced of her ability to perform.

Regarding DeShields, I think she is most dominant and best used at SG where she has a size advantage. I'm not convinced she's going to blow people away at SF. That's before we even get to the stuff about motivation and attitude. As far as Laimbeer handling troubled players, I'm not sure who the apt comparison would be. Braxton, Humphrey, and Schimmel had weight and conditioning issues. Braxton produced sporadic success but was ultimately booted in her last season with Laimbeer. Bill got just enough out of Humphrey so that he could trade her at mid-season, and then Tasha barely lasted another year in the league after that. Schimmel is still a question mark. So, I don't see any long-term successes there. Who else? Pierson was a hothead who had trouble getting along with people, but she didn't lack motivation on the court. DeShields seems to be more of a diva, which in itself isn't necessarily a problem. McCoughtry is a diva, but she's a competitive and motivated one. The scary thing about DeShields is that she's taking underachievement so well -- both her own and the team's. Compare that with Angel who pretty much carried her Louisville squad into the NCAA finals (along with Jeff Walz the mad scientist).

While having 3 big scorers is certainly the way to go if you can get it, Indiana only had Catchings in 2012. That finals starting line-up was Catchings, Larkins, Zellous, January and Phillips. Douglas was injured, and so was her backup, Jeannette Pohlen. The press played up the Catch finally gets her championship story, but to me the real MVP of that series was Larkins. She had 43 boards in the 3 wins, seemingly doing all of the rebounding by herself for a tiny line-up. Zellous had 30 points in Indiana's second win, and Phillips added 18 in the clincher. January was able to shut-down Augustus in the last two wins of the series. This was a championship accomplished mostly by non-stars. I'm not denying that having three stars is a big advantage or the norm, I'm just pointing out that it's been done with a lot less.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The difference between having Catchings as your top player and Charles is that Catchings was dictating the flow of the game from a standpoint of ball-handling and passing. She could play like a guard. Charles is an excellent passer, but she needs other players to get her the ball first. And then you also had players like January, Z and Larkins who tend to elevate their play in clutch situations.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your basic premise though. Having Piph at the point along with Rodgers and Allen is a lot of offense. However, anytime in the last 2 seasons that Cash and Wright weren't in the starting lineup, the team has gone from top 3 to below average. The wins and losses bear that out. Having lineups that don't include either player mean that the way the team wins games is going to have to be very different. Allen is going to have to rebound, play consistent defense and penetrate if she is going to be on the court consistently. Deshields may be too ambitious, but I'd be willing to bet internally that the Liberty are going to make her their number 1 off-season target. I don't think she will dominate at SF right from the start, but she'll be a solid starter there from day 1, with a body-type that can add muscle and grow into the position. Whether they can get her or not is a totally different matter. Maybe they can't and this whole discussion is pointless. In which case you're either using Sugar to get another player or you're keeping Piph and Sugar together. I think it's a lineup that can work and be successful, but I also think you're looking at a major leadership and chemistry transition. Boyd played fairly well in Wright's absence, but as a team, the Liberty didn't run offense as well as they did when Wright was the starter. So if Piph and Rodgers comprise the backcourt, you have a lot of decisions to make and a lot of moves that potentially alter the chemistry and the leadership structure of the team.

Also to be considered, Minnesota has size and strength on the wings along with a 6'6" force in the middle. LA has unparalleled length and athleticism, even though they don't dominate games with sheer size most of the time. To match up better with these teams, the Liberty have to feature more of one or the other. Since nobody in WNBA history matches Augustus and Maya in terms of size and strength on the wings, that leaves option number 2 as the most viable one. Whoever it is that they acquire should get them closer to that goal, if the idea is to legitimately upgrade the 3 spot.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can we stop talking about trading Sugar? If Prince gets injured again, we only have Charles as a scorer. Even trading Sugar for an legit SF doesn't sit well with me. I think our best bet at a SF is in free agency.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we keep Rodgers we probably aren't going to have cap space for a SF, unless I am missing something. Trust me, if the cap wasn't a consideration, I would not be pushing some of these potential moves so much.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Zellous was only under a one year deal. We let Zellous go and bring in a SF. That should settle our cap issue.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/04/16 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had assumed it was longer. That would settle it I suppose. Is there a SF worthy of playing 25+ minutes who is attainable as a free agent? Is Christmas a free agent? If you could get her for nothing I would certainly be happy with that. As a fourth scorer she would fit in nicely. I just don't want her as a top-3 because I don't think she would average double digits in the Libs' offense. 4th best? I'll take that. Let her rebound, be physical and make open shots in her role.

Though I still wonder where these scenarios leave Wright and Boyd. Or how the Liberty feel about making Piph a PG moving forward. If you retain Rodgers, you aren't just making a one-year commitment to these scenarios. You're saying for the next several seasons that you expect Piph and Rodgers to be your backcourt. Unless Piph's extension is a shorter "show us you're healthy" type of situation. Even so, any commitment to Piph as a PG also equates to Boyd not having an opportunity to start moving forward.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking up Piph's stats from 2014-15 in Russia. 9.7 ppg, 3.3 apg. This year 7.9 ppg with a decent shooting percentage and 2.3 apg. She's almost 12 months removed from the ACL which is a little early yet. These numbers aren't that far removed from 2 years ago, and she is playing with Angel now which can make it tougher for any player to find her own shots.

9 months removed from the ACL in September she had 12 points in 16 minutes on 4-8 shooting in a playoff game. As long as she doesn't re-injure it, I think she'll be fine in May.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

However, anytime in the last 2 seasons that Cash and Wright weren't in the starting lineup, the team has gone from top 3 to below average. The wins and losses bear that out.

Cash and Wright both appeared in all 34 games in 2015, so we're just talking about 2016.

Cash missed the first 3 games of 2016. The Liberty went 2-1. The loss was to LA in OT after they blew an 8 point lead with slightly over a minute to play. After Cash returned, NY lost their first two games. Wright missed five games in 2016, during which time the team went 2-3. Her injury occurred in a win against SAS where she played only 4 minutes, so the Liberty were really 3-3 without her. Then, after Wright returned, the team went 0-3 including the playoff game against Phoenix. Most of this overlapped with Stokes injury, which also occurred against SAS. I don't see how you can look at these results and conclude that the team suffers when Cash and Wright are out of the line-up. The record wasn't bad without Cash, and Wright's injury coincided with that of Stokes'. Zellous missed a game in there too. Meanwhile, the return of Cash and Wright didn't immediately lead to wins. Maybe it shouldn't, but it points to the danger of using such small sample sizes to draw conclusions, especially at the very beginning and end of a season when other mitigating circumstances come into play.

On the other hand, most of the advanced statistics -- PER, PIE, Net Rating, and Win Shares -- indicate that Wright and Cash are nearly the worst players on the team. The only players finishing below them are Prince, Harding, and Alston who played very few games. I'll be the first to admit that these statistics are very flawed, but if all of them tell the same story, then it's a lot harder to ignore.

przemoe

PostPosted: 12/05/16 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Newsflash about two of your girls play(ed) in Poland:

Boyd just a week ago got thrown away from CCC Polkowice after just 3 games (lost all three by avg 19.3pts, 4-1 record before) - averaging 9.3ppg (8/34FG), 5as, 2.6to - dunno if that was that 23%FG or other issues (attitude?), but still it's not a typical thing to send home your starting PG like that.

Swords on the other hand is reigning in Gdynia, averaging 13.1pts, 11.9rb in TBLK.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 12/05/16 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
Newsflash about two of your girls play(ed) in Poland:

Boyd just a week ago got thrown away from CCC Polkowice after just 3 games (lost all three by avg 19.3pts, 4-1 record before) - averaging 9.3ppg (8/34FG), 5as, 2.6to - dunno if that was that 23%FG or other issues (attitude?), but still it's not a typical thing to send home your starting PG like that.

Swords on the other hand is reigning in Gdynia, averaging 13.1pts, 11.9rb in TBLK.

Let's not jump to conclusions. There are plenty of reasons that a player gets cut or chooses to leave. Sub-par play and attitude are just 2 of them. But I'll give you props, at least you're just guessing that might be it and not just flat out stating that's the reason like a lot on here do.

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I mentioned in one of my posts that Boyd wasn't shooting well and that she disappeared from the box score for the last two games. I'm not really concerned as long as she's healthy and her ATO is somewhere near 2, which it was (1.9). Maybe the team dumped her, maybe she quit -- who knows? It could be a bad system fit, a clash of personalities, financial issues or simple homesickness. Boyd was injured last winter, so this is her first time overseas. We already knew Brittany is up and down when it comes to making baskets. It's clearly the area where she needs improvement. While it would be nice if Boyd could develop a reliable jump-shot, right now I'd settle for her hitting lay-ups. She beats people off the dribble enough so that she could average 10 ppg just by making 50% of her lay-ups and 70% of free throws. Combine that with an ATO of 2 (2.1 for the last 19 games of 2016), plus the havoc she wreaks on defense, and I'd be happy to give her a lot more minutes -- starter or not.

Edit: OK, I guess I should've done my homework first. Boyd is at 48% for shots inside 5 ft, so it's better than I thought. What happens is she has a bunch of bad games and then a great one, which offsets the bad somewhat. Meanwhile, her accuracy beyond 5 ft is worse than I expected (26%). I guess I should hope she hits about two-thirds of her lay-ups. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 7 of 80

Jump to: