RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
or this Kiah Stokes + Zahui B + Hartley 2018 2nd rounder to SA for Plum and Isabelle Harrison to the Libs

matter of fact no lol why would SA want our garbage? SA would prolly laugh and hang up the phone

LOL. Many years ago I listened a bit to sports radio. I stopped in good part because of the endless proposed trades. It was always some version of "We'll trade player X (the player all our fans hate) and player Y (who is absolutely terrible) for some other team's very good player. Wait, that won't work? They won't go for that? OK, we'll add in player Z (who is even worse than player Y)."

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Getting Boyette for Stokes would be a steal for NY. As much as Boyette might be buried in Chicago can't see why Stokes would be of any more service to them. She can't score and she's four inches shorter than Boyette.

that why I threw in the 2nd round pick. The 2nd part of the plan would be if the Sky were ready to bring in Coates and wanted to open up minutes for her, Stokes can back up at the 4 or the 5, while Boyette is only a 5, and the Sky could cut Harris to make room for Coates. It is still mostly wishful thinking.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Let's sweeten that Sky trade and turn it into Stokes, Hartley & our 2nd rounder for Boyette & Faulkner. In 2018 we'd have Boyd & Faulkner as our PGs. No need to draft Canada and can actually draft a SF. At this rate we might get the #6 or #7 pick.

i like this idea, Diamond Deshields would be the homerun pick but we would have to be lottery pick BAD to get her though lol

others to think of:

Azurá Stevens
Victoria Vivians
Jamie Nared
Napheesa Collier
Kia Nurse

Kia Nurse is interesting to me, she is a big guard that 6'0 that can play the 1 and 2...you think she can play the SF?

Quote:
LOL. Many years ago I listened a bit to sports radio. I stopped in good part because of the endless proposed trades. It was always some version of "We'll trade player X (the player all our fans hate) and player Y (who is absolutely terrible) for some other team's very good player. Wait, that won't work? They won't go for that? OK, we'll add in player Z (who is even worse than player Y)."

lmao yup i listen to WFAN sports radio here in NY all the time when im driving to work so i know exactly what your talkin about. im just a frustrated lib fan lookin for answers and Solutions lol

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/30/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="LibFan25" lmao yup i listen to WFAN sports radio here in NY all the time when im driving to work so i know exactly what your talkin about. im just a frustrated lib fan lookin for answers and Solutions lol[/quote]

I didn't mean to be criticizing any particular trade idea posted here by you or anyone else. It's just that it was so extreme from baseball fans on WFAN. (That's where I was listening.) It was always some version of trading two, even three, terrible and/or hated players for someone terrific. No good? OK, we'll throw in a fourth player that no one wants. Way too often it was so blatant, so obvious, so ridiculous. Smile

PostPosted: 05/30/17 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does kinda hurt the argument for a trade when a page is spent trashing a couple of players and then that is immediately followed by trade proposals for them Laughing

PostPosted: 05/30/17 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It does kinda hurt the argument for a trade when a page is spent trashing a couple of players and then that is immediately followed by trade proposals for them Laughing

LMAO.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If say we aren't destined to be any better than 17-17, 16-18 or whatever, one very disappointing aspect is the one young breakout player we could have seen develop is out with a major injury. None of our other third-year players have shown any indication of development. Young players can make a .500 ish season more tolerable if they provide hope for the future.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If say we aren't destined to be any better than 17-17, 16-18 or whatever, one very disappointing aspect is the one young breakout player we could have seen develop is out with a major injury. None of our other third-year players have shown any indication of development. Young players can make a .500 ish season more tolerable if they provide hope for the future.

Sad but true.

During the offseason, I felt (and wrote) that for the Liberty to be a 2017 championship contender I believed we needed at least one but probably two of these four players to take a big step forward: Boyd, Stokes, R. Allen, and Zahui B. Now Boyd is gone and it's been a very discouraging start for the other three. Still 29 games to go, have to hope this changes, ideally very soon. If it doesn't, this season won't be much fun.

PostPosted: 05/31/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

LMAO.

Bingoooooo Laughing

PostPosted: 05/31/17 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As of right now, our most promising young player is Raincock-Ekunwe. She's showed more in these 5 games than Stokes, Zahui B., Burdick & R. Allen.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/31/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched the Libs last night ...

It seems to me New York has one exceptional player

Tina Charles

Two pretty good players

Epiphanny Prince
Sugar Rodgers

Two average players

Brittany Boyd
Shavonte Zellous

People like Kia Vaughn, Kiah Stokes and so on are adequate for a reserve role, but on an elite team, they wouldn't get a ton of minutes, or they would have limited roles to fill.

As Bob Lamm points out, coming up with ideas to trade ordinary players and worthless second-round picks for someone even in the class of Prince and Rodgers isn't going to happen. Generally, you get junk for junk, unless someone like Suzie McConnell-Serio says "It's either Katie Smith or me," and ownership isn't smart enough to make the right call.

New York's issue is a familiar one: Not good enough to win the title, but not bad enough to win the lottery. (As a Warriors' fan, I got way too used to that limbo over the years until ownership blatantly tanked ...)

It's too bad, even I though reflexively root against all New York teams, because the league could use a championship contender in NYC as well as L.A. But I don't see an easy way out of this ...

PostPosted: 05/31/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
or this Kiah Stokes + Zahui B + Hartley 2018 2nd rounder to SA for Plum and Isabelle Harrison to the Libs

matter of fact no lol why would SA want our garbage? SA would prolly laugh and hang up the phone

Every trade proposal on rebkell follows this exact blueprint! Laughing

PostPosted: 05/31/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The difference with getting a second round pick in 2018 is that that draft you may get a quality 6th woman from the second round. The Liberty may end up with the #6/#7 pick in 2018 which would potentially be our starting SF next season. Trading Stokes/Hartley/Zahui B. to a team like Phoenix, Indiana or Washington with an already thin bench may benefit both teams next season.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/31/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article about Lindsay Allen coming back to the Liberty. No mention of the second player the Liberty are bringing in.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19501927/new-york-liberty-bring-back-lindsay-allen-weeks-cutting-her

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/31/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, the coaching staff continues to get a free pass? The offense right now looks like Tina and Piph going one-on-one and Sugar hoisting threes. The rest of the time it's a Liberty player holding the ball over her head looking for a place to pass as her teammates stand around staring back at her. Guess what, the defense is watching too. All they have to do is let that player's eyes telegraph where the ball is going and jump the passing lane. It's a turnover waiting to happen. I don't know what the final tally was, but around the end of the 3rd Quarter, LA had 30 points off TOs vs 12 for NY.

It's amazing that NY has been competitive for three quarters operating this way. However, it clearly falls apart in the 4th when the pressure is on and teams ratchet up their defense. Minnesota finished on a 16-4 run, Seattle 9-0, and LA started on an 11-0 run. Relying on individual effort and long jump-shots is not a sustainable form of offense. Where is the team offense? What is the team offense? What is the overall plan? We heard that the Liberty wanted to run. OK, they seem to be pushing the ball more but once they're in the frontcourt nothing happens. Pretty much what we've seen for the last three seasons except when Boyd is in there. Then there was this idea of using the whole roster and sending in waves of players. That's obviously not happening. So, what we see now just looks like desperate improvisation. Who bears responsibility for that?

And didn't these awful players we have just set a WNBA single-game bench scoring record last July -- 69 points in regulation, breaking the former record of 63 set in a triple OT game. Boyd is gone, but it's the same Zahui B., Allen, Stokes, and Zellous. Did they become talentless in under one year?

PostPosted: 05/31/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All four of those players you mentioned have taken a step back from where they were last season. Stokes has taken 5 steps back. We replaced Wright with Hartley - downgrade. Cash with Nayo - upgrade in terms of potential, still TBD. Swords with Vaughn - possible offensive upgrade, still TBD. Schimmel with Burdick - unknown but both are the team's 12th player each season. The unknown is basically because there's speculation that Burdick is injured. So we can't blame any of the newbies, as much as we want to blame Hartley. Laimbeer has to look at these four returning, young(except for Zellous) players and get on their asses to produce. We might actually be 4-1 right now if these four players game us something to smile about each night.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/31/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Article about Lindsay Allen coming back to the Liberty. No mention of the second player the Liberty are bringing in.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19501927/new-york-liberty-bring-back-lindsay-allen-weeks-cutting-her

The quote that jumped out at me:

"I liked her a lot and told her that she has to be more aggressive offensively,"

I think McGraw told her the same thing for at least her last two years at ND.

She's shown she is capable of scoring. She has the skillset. She just seems to lack a scorer's mentality.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/31/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck, I'll be happy if L. Allen can get the ball inside to Charles and bring the ball up and down the floor with a low A/TO ratio. If she can do that, she'll be playing 30 mpg.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/31/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Heck, I'll be happy if L. Allen can get the ball inside to Charles and bring the ball up and down the floor with a low A/TO ratio. If she can do that, she'll be playing 30 mpg.

Well, the standards don't seem really high.

Hartley - 5 games, 11 mpg, combined 2 points total, 1/10 shooting, 0/7 from the arc, 8 assists, 6 turnovers.

There certainly seems to be an opportunity for Allen if she settles in and plays the way she can.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/31/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah Hartley has helped set a pretty low bar.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/31/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think one of the reasons the Liberty fans are frustrated and the Liberty appear to be over rated is the fact that it seemed like Stokes, Zahui B, R. Allen and Boyd were all primed to take another step forward (Obviously we can blame Boyd for tearing her ACL). They all have potential and if they continued their upward trajectory they could move from OK to decent role players. A team with one star two borderline stars filled out with another 5 or so decent role players can be successful. This same Liberty team with Cash, Swords, and Wright (further along from their all-star days) and Prince missing big chunks of time has been a top 3 team two years in a row, so thinking that the younger players who have been OK and would ready for primetime would take us even higher wasn't that unrealistic, it just hasn't panned out that way so far.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/31/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that according to the .com's Transactions page, they've only suspended Vaughn. Prince is still on the books, and therefore can't be replaced anyway.

PostPosted: 05/31/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Interesting that according to the .com's Transactions page, they've only suspended Vaughn. Prince is still on the books, and therefore can't be replaced anyway.

Is it possible Russia is using another Naturalized player and Prince can stay?

Or is she maybe leaving in a day or two and The Liberty didn't feel they needed to rush the paperwork since they only had L. Allen ready to come into practice anyway?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/31/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

or is dot com just as ridiculously inept as usual?

- Amanda Gorman
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/31/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
or is dot com just as ridiculously inept as usual?

How can that be ? Laughing

I'm sure in a day or two it will all be sorted out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 58 of 80

Jump to: