RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/30/17 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Rodgers may start at PG. Curious who the 2nd player Laimbeer is bringing in. Another PG for insurance or a post in case Zahui B. is a complete bust?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Feyonda Fitzgerald ? Idea

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
This is not an injury situation. Prince and Vaughn are leaving voluntarily. They will be suspended and any player signed is just a regular player. L. Allen does not have to be cut when Prince and Vaughn return. Someone has to be cut, but it can be anybody.

Sorry not to understand one detail here. The current roster has 12 players, including Boyd. Prince and Vaughn will leave, will apparently be replaced by L. Allen and someone else, then Prince and Vaughn will return. Will two cuts have to be made at that time? Or, for example, can Lindsay Allen stay on the roster replacing Boyd?

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
This is not an injury situation. Prince and Vaughn are leaving voluntarily. They will be suspended and any player signed is just a regular player. L. Allen does not have to be cut when Prince and Vaughn return. Someone has to be cut, but it can be anybody.

Sorry not to understand one detail here. The current roster has 12 players, including Boyd. Prince and Vaughn will leave, will apparently be replaced by L. Allen and someone else, then Prince and Vaughn will return. Will two cuts have to be made at that time? Or, for example, can Lindsay Allen stay on the roster replacing Boyd?

If they add two players, then two players have to be cut when Prince and Vaughn return. However, this not an injury replacement situation. Any two players can be cut. Fans seem to think leaving for national team duty results in some kind of sanctioned leave of absence with special rules for replacement players. That's not the case. If you're under contract, anyone leaving for another gig is essentially going AWOL. They are violating their contracts and their team gets to suspend them without pay. I don't think the team is even obligated to take them back. So, there are no special conditions attached to their replacements. Obviously, the reality is different. The teams want these players back as soon as possible. But people need to realize that this is a power play on the part of the players. They are using leverage to do this just like EDD, Charles, Cappie, and Dupree used leverage to get themselves traded. It's quantitatively different because you're not leaving the team permanently. However, qualitatively it's very similar because you're using the permanent loss of services as a threat.

Boyd is irrelevant to this situation. She is an injured player, and the Liberty are responsible for her. You do not get an injury replacement unless you have two long term injuries or short-term injuries cause you to have less than nine players. However, if you want to replace Boyd, she can be cut just like every player on the roster can be cut. You just have to be prepared to lose her to another team. If she clears waivers, then you still have to pay her whole salary while absorbing the salary cap hit.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
You do not get an injury replacement unless you have two long term injuries or short-term injuries cause you to have less than nine players.

These days, you basically just need one injury that's going to last a while, and another player that gets hurt in some way and misses a game (regardless of how many that leaves you with in total). Unless they've fiddled with these things again. It's one of those little rules that they tend to mess around with without telling anyone.

It amuses me that LFO's all happy about his cap situation. He was one of the first to push it right up against the edge back in the Detroit days, and just expect to go over it with exemptions if players got hurt.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

If they add two players, then two players have to be cut when Prince and Vaughn return. However, this not an injury replacement situation. Any two players can be cut. Fans seem to think leaving for national team duty results in some kind of sanctioned leave of absence with special rules for replacement players. That's not the case. If you're under contract, anyone leaving for another gig is essentially going AWOL. They are violating their contracts and their team gets to suspend them without pay. I don't think the team is even obligated to take them back. So, there are no special conditions attached to their replacements. Obviously, the reality is different. The teams want these players back as soon as possible. But people need to realize that this is a power play on the part of the players. They are using leverage to do this just like EDD, Charles, Cappie, and Dupree used leverage to get themselves traded. It's quantitatively different because you're not leaving the team permanently. However, qualitatively it's very similar because you're using the permanent loss of services as a threat.

Boyd is irrelevant to this situation. She is an injured player, and the Liberty are responsible for her. You do not get an injury replacement unless you have two long term injuries or short-term injuries cause you to have less than nine players. However, if you want to replace Boyd, she can be cut just like every player on the roster can be cut. You just have to be prepared to lose her to another team. If she clears waivers, then you still have to pay her whole salary while absorbing the salary cap hit.

I'm grateful for your explanation. I knew that Boyd was irrelevant to the situation with Prince and Vaughn, but that discussion brought to mind my question about Boyd. I didn't know the rules about injured players. I assume that the Liberty won't want to take the risk of losing Boyd to another team.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know one big advantage to having European citizenship is that it means a player doesn't count against the Bosman rule (if that's what it's still called) so it makes a player more valuable to overseas teams. That translates into higher overseas salaries, as I understand it.

But presumably Prince and all the others who leave also get paid by those national federations for their time. Does anyone have any idea how much that pay might be?

PostPosted: 05/30/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
You do not get an injury replacement unless you have two long term injuries or short-term injuries cause you to have less than nine players.

These days, you basically just need one injury that's going to last a while, and another player that gets hurt in some way and misses a game (regardless of how many that leaves you with in total). Unless they've fiddled with these things again. It's one of those little rules that they tend to mess around with without telling anyone.

It amuses me that LFO's all happy about his cap situation. He was one of the first to push it right up against the edge back in the Detroit days, and just expect to go over it with exemptions if players got hurt.

It sounds like the second player has to be out a minimum of three weeks, overlapping with the first injured player. There's also an additional 2 games involved. I don't know if that's a waiting period or it's just a weird rule expressed in mixed units: 2 games and three weeks.

Quote:
(a) Hardship.
(1) If, during a WNBA Regular Season, a Team with one (1) player who is unable to play due to injury, illness or other condition for a minimum of three additional weeks from the date of the requested Exception (the “First Injured Player”) has an additional player (the “Disabled Player”) who suffers a Disabling Injury, Illness, or Condition (as defined below), the Team may sign one Replacement Player to a Replacement Contract to replace such Disabled Player.
(2) For purposes of this Section 4, Disabling Injury, Illness, or Condition means any injury, illness, or condition that has rendered the Disabled Player unable to play for a minimum of two (2) consecutive Regular Season games and will thereafter render the Disabled Player unable to play for a minimum period of three (3) additional weeks (regardless of whether, once the Disabled Player has missed two (2) consecutive Regular Season games, there are less than three (3) weeks remaining in the WNBA Season).

It looks like I was wrong on the minimum usable players for an Emergency Hardship. Apparently, the number is 10. I seem to remember it used to be 9 but maybe not. My memory is shot anyway. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/30/17 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm certain it used to be 9. Distinctly remember 3 players needing to be injured before you could add anyone to the roster.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm about to make a prediction. If the Libs get out of this stretch 7-5 or better AND have no more injuries I predict they will win the WNBA championship. My reasoning is that if they get enough added contributions from sources having yet to contribute, the readditions of Piph and Kia will make the team balanced and probably prepared to peak at the right time.

I don't think it's that likely, however, that they will be 7-5 at the end of this stretch. Just saying if they are, that will mean some players currently not contributing will have shown considerable improvement.

I also think Minnesota and LA are vulnerable in the right situation.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - I was busy last week - but is Burdick hurt (or at least banged up in some way)? She seemed to play pretty well in the first couple of games, be right in the middle of the rotation, and then suddenly she gets a DNP and a near-DNP. All while the team is now short a perimeter player.

Just wondered if there was a known reason for it.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - I was busy last week - but is Burdick hurt (or at least banged up in some way)? She seemed to play pretty well in the first couple of games, be right in the middle of the rotation, and then suddenly she gets a DNP and a near-DNP. All while the team is now short a perimeter player.

Just wondered if there was a known reason for it.

Burdick played well in the first game, but not so well in the second game: 1-4 3pts, 3 TOs. Meanwhile, R. Allen who was injured for the first game returned to reclaim some PT.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, true, Allen getting healthier would cut into her minutes. Although I'm not totally sure what Zellous is really offering these days. Outside of a little extra ballhandling to try to help Hartley survive.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight, Tina's been bringing the damn ball up at times, because apparently we expect Tina to do every goddamn thing around here.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I'm about to make a prediction. If the Libs get out of this stretch 7-5 or better AND have no more injuries I predict they will win the WNBA championship. My reasoning is that if they get enough added contributions from sources having yet to contribute, the readditions of Piph and Kia will make the team balanced and probably prepared to peak at the right time.

I don't think it's that likely, however, that they will be 7-5 at the end of this stretch. Just saying if they are, that will mean some players currently not contributing will have shown considerable improvement.

Are you crazy? If Stokes can't defend the paint or rebound we stink.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Are you crazy? If Stokes can't defend the paint or rebound we stink.

Oh right. Sorry.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes is useless. Seriously. Once Vaughn & Prince come back, I'm all for trading her.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Stokes is useless. Seriously. Once Vaughn & Prince come back, I'm all for trading her.

how bout this Idea: Stokes + 2nd round pick 2018 to SA for Isabellle Harrison

i love her game she can hit that 15 foot jumper and she plays hard

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

or this Kiah Stokes + Zahui B + Hartley 2018 2nd rounder to SA for Plum and Isabelle Harrison to the Libs

matter of fact no lol why would SA want our garbage? SA would prolly laugh and hang up the phone

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/30/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd do one fallen from grace center for another

Stokes and 2nd round pick for Boyette

Stokes can return to her Uconn job of backing up Dolson, and when the Sky activate Coats they won't have to worry about stepping on anyones toes. Boyette is bigger, more athletic and I think Laimbeer could do wonders for her. He made Braxton and Feenstra into something and Boyette has the highest ceiling of those three. If we're going to have a center who doesn't score I'd rather have a 6'7" one who can get some blocks.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Stokes can return to her Uconn job of backing up Dolson. Boyette is bigger, more athletic and I think Laimbeer could do wonders for her. He made Braxton and Feenstra into something and Boyette has the highest ceiling of those three. If we're going to have a center who doesn't score I'd rather have a 6'7" one who can get some blocks.

This is closer to anything that would actually happen. Right now, nobody is going to give much of value for Stokes, Zahui, or Hartley.

NY is in doo-doo land. I'm hoping that L. Allen can come in and give them a lift though. That would be a nice surprise. I root for rookies!

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting Boyette for Stokes would be a steal for NY. As much as Boyette might be buried in Chicago can't see why Stokes would be of any more service to them. She can't score and she's four inches shorter than Boyette.

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Stokes can return to her Uconn job of backing up Dolson. Boyette is bigger, more athletic and I think Laimbeer could do wonders for her. He made Braxton and Feenstra into something and Boyette has the highest ceiling of those three. If we're going to have a center who doesn't score I'd rather have a 6'7" one who can get some blocks.

This is closer to anything that would actually happen. Right now, nobody is going to give much of value for Stokes, Zahui, or Hartley.

NY is in doo-doo land. I'm hoping that L. Allen can come in and give them a lift though. That would be a nice surprise. I root for rookies!

The door is wide open for L. Allen, if she can come in and play some PG and do better than Hartley and or Zellous at running the team (which isn't setting the bar too high) she will not only get to keep her job, but she will become an actual rotational player.

ANd if we bring in a big that same opportunity will be there for them. Kai James could shock the world and end up on a team after being off the radar of every mock drafter alive. Or someone like Vicki Baugh could come in and get another season of work putting someone out of work or on the trading block for a 2nd round pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's sweeten that Sky trade and turn it into Stokes, Hartley & our 2nd rounder for Boyette & Faulkner. In 2018 we'd have Boyd & Faulkner as our PGs. No need to draft Canada and can actually draft a SF. At this rate we might get the #6 or #7 pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/30/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bringing in L. Allen and probably a post(Kai James? Bulgak? Baugh?) likely threatens the jobs of Hartley & Zahui B. the most. Not sure where Burdick stands with the team right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 57 of 80

Jump to: