RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/09/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember a number of years ago, the Washington Mystics cut a couple of players and then gave them internships to hang around -- Megan Vogel was one of them. The Mystics were pretty open about it and no one seemed to care. Of course, that was under a different CBA, so things may be different now. The point is that keeping players around under a different capacity is not a new concept. You can even call Wright a practice player. Just because teams usually hire men doesn't mean it has to be a man. It's the level of play that counts.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty waive Kai James and Jacki Gemelos

toad455

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Surprised Alston is still there.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So where does that leave the Liberty numbers-wise?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Surprised Alston is still there.

Ive always thought ameryst had the tools to be a player in this peague cant ever get past the last cut though smh

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you want to be cynical, Alston has the Ohio State connection with Katie and Herb... Bernert too, even though she's now with the Knicks.

The Liberty are at 14 players.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Burdick sticks as the backup SF?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If you want to be cynical, Alston has the Ohio State connection with Katie and Herb... Bernert too, even though she's now with the Knicks.

I'd rather be the one who's the fellow alum of the head coach. Cool

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So, let's line up the nonbasketball factors that favor each player:

Allen - same alma mater as head coach
Alston - same alma mater as two assistant coaches
Burdick - former intern for Robin Roberts on GMA
Raincock-Ekunwe - being pretty never hurts

Wink

PostPosted: 05/09/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So, let's line up the nonbasketball factors that favor each player:

Allen - same alma mater as head coach
Alston - same alma mater as two assistant coaches
Burdick - former intern for Robin Roberts on GMA
Raincock-Ekunwe - being pretty never hurts

Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

so its down between Allen Vs Alston and Burdick Vs Raincock

i think Alston beats out Allen and Raincock makes the final cut.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/09/17 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it'll be Nayo and Allen. Allen gives you the PG vision that not many other players on the team have, and Nayo has a versatility edge in terms of being able to swing between the 3 and 4 spots.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think it'll be Nayo and Allen. Allen gives you the PG vision that not many other players on the team have, and Nayo has a versatility edge in terms of being able to swing between the 3 and 4 spots.

I've agreed with this all along. I never thought Gemelos had a chance and was surprised that people thought she'd be chosen. I'd be shocked if Alston makes the team over Allen.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I've agreed with this all along. I never thought Gemelos had a chance and was surprised that people thought she'd be chosen. I'd be shocked if Alston makes the team over Allen.

L allen is a project with very sharp passing ability...she's worth keeping in P12...I think she can be very useful in that regard tho not this year.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

L allen is a project with very sharp passing ability...she's worth keeping in P12...I think she can be very useful in that regard tho not this year.

That's what I've assumed. If she helps the team this year, that's a plus. But I view this as a draft pick made with the future in mind.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

That's what I've assumed. If she helps the team this year, that's a plus. But I view this as a draft pick made with the future in mind.

i agree on this, it would be a smart to keep her on the team for Value and see if anybody might bite if any team liked her maybe Bill could make a move. Because im thinkin about next year and how deep that 2018 draft is depending where we end up when we pick, hopefully we pick at 12 with a WNBA Championship.

Last edited by LibFan25 on 05/09/17 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/09/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do the words "... is a project " always strike fear in a Liberty Fans heart ?

sigur3

PostPosted: 05/09/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just IMO but I don't think Alston has the explosiveness to stick at the WNBA level. She's skilled with the ball but physically speaking I can't see her hanging with most of the perimeter players in this league, and she doesn't have the high vision and IQ of Allen to make up for it. Allen at least has a niche that she can fill in the right situation...I think the Liberty have enough combo guards...

toad455

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All Liberty games will be televised.

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/msg-networks-broadcast-31-liberty-games-2017/

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/10/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alston waived, so we're down to the 13 players we expected all along.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Although I've guessed Raincock-Ekunwe and Allen all along, I understood the arguments being made for Burdick over one of those two. I never understood the view that Gemelos or Alston would make the team over any of the 13 players still left.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think most of us agree that Nayo is a lock. Now Laimbeer has to figure out if he wants that pure PG-type with Allen or attempt to make Burdick a SF.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Although I've guessed Raincock-Ekunwe and Allen all along, I understood the arguments being made for Burdick over one of those two. I never understood the view that Gemelos or Alston would make the team over any of the 13 players still left.

Gemelos can shoot, and she can play some SF. It made sense based on skill and need, but the fact that she was never mentioned by Laimbeer or the press made it seem unlikely. For what it's worth, Jacki did get some decent Snapchat time on Liberty Photo Day. Smile

toad455 wrote:
I think most of us agree that Nayo is a lock. Now Laimbeer has to figure out if he wants that pure PG-type with Allen or attempt to make Burdick a SF.

I don't think any of the three are locks. Bill made a comment about the young players being up and down and that people could be playing themselves off the team.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Laimbeer would try and pick up Erin Phillips? Veteran guard that would take Prince's minutes when she's out.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Now Laimbeer has to figure out if he wants that pure PG-type with Allen or attempt to make Burdick a SF.

I haven't really understood your 250 posts predicting Allen would get cut. Did she run over your dog or something? Very Happy But I think Bill figured all of that out long before he drafted Allen. He knew then what and who he wanted. That wasn't an accident.

Now she could turn out to be a bust and get cut (but I doubt it), but I don't think there's any experimenting or "figuring it out" going on.

Allen was one of the most predictable, known, easy to figure out players in the entire draft. Anyone who took her knew exactly what they were getting and was taking her on purpose to get exactly that.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Gemelos can shoot, and she can play some SF. It made sense based on skill and need, but the fact that she was never mentioned by Laimbeer or the press made it seem unlikely. For what it's worth, Jacki did get some decent Snapchat time on Liberty Photo Day. Smile

My intention wasn't to trash Gemelos. Not at all. I simply never believed she had a chance of making the team, especially over a player that Laimbeer targeted and used his top draft choice to draft.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 48 of 80

Jump to: