RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Seattle Storm 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
scrappy wrote:
seattle will be stupid to trade away loyd.


Of course it would be stupid.However,Loyd had been averaging 14.7p on 37% fg over the previous 18 gms.prior to playing dallas.Those are Kayla McBride numbers.The so-called chemistry between Stewart/Loyd hasn't led to prosperity.Over the last two seasons,seattle has a 26-30 record.I'm not casting total blame on Loyd.Seattle has a poorly constructed roster(G.M).But Loyd's play has been very underwhelming for most of the season.

It's almost as if everyone wants to make coach Boucek the scapegoat.


Because boucek has not produced anything in her time as HC . Nor has she gotten the maximum potential out of any of the draft picks shes selected. Talk about having #1, #3 & #1 again just to miss the playoffs again. Something has to change



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 756



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
scrappy wrote:
seattle will be stupid to trade away loyd.


Of course it would be stupid.However,Loyd had been averaging 14.7p on 37% fg over the previous 18 gms.prior to playing dallas.Those are Kayla McBride numbers.The so-called chemistry between Stewart/Loyd hasn't led to prosperity.Over the last two seasons,seattle has a 26-30 record.I'm not casting total blame on Loyd.Seattle has a poorly constructed roster(G.M).But Loyd's play has been very underwhelming for most of the season.

It's almost as if everyone wants to make coach Boucek the scapegoat.


Because boucek has not produced anything in her time as HC . Nor has she gotten the maximum potential out of any of the draft picks shes selected. Talk about having #1, #3 & #1 again just to miss the playoffs again. Something has to change


I don't see this team being a championship contender over the 5+ years. Time to do another partial re-build. Miss the playoffs, pick up another lottery pick, fire Boucek, and replace a few players on the roster all in that order.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 756



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


I dont think our rebuilding is in the same place as the storm .Seattle actually has the pieces to contend , were still missing 1 or 2 before our rebuild can be complete . That way of life can be said for a few teams in this league (e.g. The Stars , The Sun , The Sky , The Fever ..not just dallas ) Rolling Eyes



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
scrappy



Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1672



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.


boucek has a long history with seattle and the franchise. after she left ann donovan as assistant, she stayed with the organization as a scout for the sonics. then came back as agler assistant. so the storm's ownership/management might have some loyalty feeling toward her.?



_________________
She's blonde, she can block. She is 6 foot five, she can deny. Though she is tall, she definitely can score. ya'al think she is quite nice, but on the court she can put up a fight.
scrappy



Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1672



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

on a different note; quite often in the nba for coaches in the hot seats. many are fired during or at the end of a road trip. you think this could be boucek's coming? 5 games trip with 4 more game to go. the only possible win i see is with the stars. this could be an ugly trip.



_________________
She's blonde, she can block. She is 6 foot five, she can deny. Though she is tall, she definitely can score. ya'al think she is quite nice, but on the court she can put up a fight.
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


I dont think our rebuilding is in the same place as the storm .Seattle actually has the pieces to contend , were still missing 1 or 2 before our rebuild can be complete . That way of life can be said for a few teams in this league (e.g. The Stars , The Sun , The Sky , The Fever ..not just dallas ) Rolling Eyes


Yeah - didn't mean to single out the Wings. Lucky ping pong balls make all the difference. Shock/Wings never got the lucky balls.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


I dont think our rebuilding is in the same place as the storm .Seattle actually has the pieces to contend , were still missing 1 or 2 before our rebuild can be complete . That way of life can be said for a few teams in this league (e.g. The Stars , The Sun , The Sky , The Fever ..not just dallas ) Rolling Eyes


Yeah - didn't mean to single out the Wings. Lucky ping pong balls make all the difference. Shock/Wings never got the lucky balls.


Im secretly hoping we lose the rest of our games , im sure Chicago & ATL do not want to see the wings in the lottery neither ! This could be our breakthrough season for that #1 Pick Laughing Laughing



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the 2 year numbers but Dallas would probably have a worse two year record than Indiana, Atlanta or Seattle, so I don't want them in the lottery.

I have run my tips out the rest of the season and at present only have the Dream as favorite in 2 games (assuming everyone is trying to win) - Stars and Storm. Hard to see making the playoff with only 12 wins though. I have the Storm ending with 12 wins as well.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.


1) Agler wanted no part of a rebuild and asked to interview elsewhere
2) Sue Bird came back primarily because Boucek was hired.
3) I'm starting to wonder how much of it is players being forced on her by a crappy GM.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the GM is setting the stage for the blame falling on the coach, whether deserved or not. Coaches seem to go before the GM's get fired.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I haven't looked at the 2 year numbers but Dallas would probably have a worse two year record than Indiana, Atlanta or Seattle, so I don't want them in the lottery.

I have run my tips out the rest of the season and at present only have the Dream as favorite in 2 games (assuming everyone is trying to win) - Stars and Storm. Hard to see making the playoff with only 12 wins though. I have the Storm ending with 12 wins as well.



Here's a table
Tm - '16-'17-left = min/max

NYL - 21 12 12 = 33/45
PHO - 16 13 11 = 29/40
CON - 14 14 11 = 28/39
WAS - 13 14 11 = 27/38

ATL - 17 10 11 = 27/38
SEA - 16 10 11 = 26/37
CHI - 18 8 10 = 26/36
IND - 17 8 10 = 25/35
DAL - 11 11 9 = 22/31
SAS - 7 3 10 = 10/20


Stars have the top percentage sewn up. Dallas has a 3 game advantage for the 2nd spot and the smallest margin for error in staying in the playoffs.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My current projection (worth .02) is Dream and Storm end at 12 wins each, Sky and Wings at 14. That assumes the Dream beat the Storm in the upcoming Atlanta game.

There are many wild cards but the last week of the season when winning teams are locked into playoff spots and don't care about w/l might be what makes all the difference.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would teams possibly tank the last week with chances of making the #7 & #8 spot to qualify for the lottery? Im not saying Wings are Tender , But...... Cool



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Would teams possibly tank the last week with chances of making the #7 & #8 spot to qualify for the lottery? Im not saying Wings are Tender , But...... Cool


I can definitely see that happening. The tank may be crowded. 4 teams ether fighting for the playoffs, or fighting for the lottery. Only Stars and Indy seem to be locks for the lottery. Dream/Sky trade makes it look like the Sky have decided to tank while the Dream have decided to try to make the playoffs at the expense of a possible lottery pick.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 3923



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it will be hard for Seattle to get past Atl or Dallas they're 8-6 at home and 2-7 on the road, that means 8 more road games and 3 more home games, and they aren't very good on the road. Atl is clearly trying to stay in the playoffs and Dallas would have to be really bad to fall behind Seattle unless Seattle goes on a run.

Now if the conspiracy theory of Deshields to Dallas is a thing if Dallas does end up in the lottery they have the best shot at the #2 pick, which is where I think Deshields goes barring injury or early entries of amazing players with size (A. Steven after winning a ship in Conn)


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think it will be hard for Seattle to get past Atl or Dallas they're 8-6 at home and 2-7 on the road, that means 8 more road games and 3 more home games, and they aren't very good on the road. Atl is clearly trying to stay in the playoffs and Dallas would have to be really bad to fall behind Seattle unless Seattle goes on a run.

Now if the conspiracy theory of Deshields to Dallas is a thing if Dallas does end up in the lottery they have the best shot at the #2 pick, which is where I think Deshields goes barring injury or early entries of amazing players with size (A. Steven after winning a ship in Conn)


Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question


She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question


She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.


So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question


She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.


So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.


The reason why Gabby was playing the post last year was that UCONN's only other option, Buck, wasn't better than Gabby at the position. That won't be the case with Stevens coming in. Gabby is most likely returning to her natural guard position. This is a good thing because Gabby won't be a post player in the WNBA.

Here is a description of Stevens from her Duke bio:
Quote:
A very talented player with huge potential ... a tremendous athletic player and is graceful ... aggressive ... has excellent three point shooting ability ... can play any position on the floor ... very determined and exciting to watch.


Hmmm, combine that with the fact that she's 6'6. It's sounding a lot like Jonquel Jones. A year or two ago, if you would have said you thought Jonquel Jones would be a better WNBA prospect than Azura Stevens, most people would have thought you were crazy. Jones started out at Clemson and transferred to mid-major GW. Not the greatest resume. It remains to be seen if Stevens will compare to Jones. Jones has gotten the opportunity and made the most of it, but I think it looks good for her. I guess you'll just have to watch UConn this year and see for yourself. If you don't want to project her as a Top 5, that's up to you. You'll probably alone in that regard.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question


She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.


So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.


The reason why Gabby was playing the post last year was that UCONN's only other option, Buck, wasn't better than Gabby at the position. That won't be the case with Stevens coming in. Gabby is most likely returning to her natural guard position. This is a good thing because Gabby won't be a post player in the WNBA.

Here is a description of Stevens from her Duke bio:
Quote:
A very talented player with huge potential ... a tremendous athletic player and is graceful ... aggressive ... has excellent three point shooting ability ... can play any position on the floor ... very determined and exciting to watch.


Hmmm, combine that with the fact that she's 6'6. It's sounding a lot like Jonquel Jones. A year or two ago, if you would have said you thought Jonquel Jones would be a better WNBA prospect than Azura Stevens, most people would have thought you were crazy. Jones started out at Clemson and transferred to mid-major GW. Not the greatest resume. It remains to be seen if Stevens will compare to Jones. Jones has gotten the opportunity and made the most of it, but I think it looks good for her. I guess you'll just have to watch UConn this year and see for yourself. If you don't want to project her as a Top 5, that's up to you. You'll probably alone in that regard.


So Gabby playing guard will benefit her in the WNBA how ? Shes played post almost her entire college career and she shifts to guard her senior year and people are expecting her to be a lottery pick ? Shocked And yes i will be alone in that regard on Stevens , all this publicity using other players to compare her to and yada yada same stuff was said for Plum. Let her game do the talking then i will consider her an elite player in this draft. Hopefully she lives up to these crazy standards people are projecting of her



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
TotalCardinalMove



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 996



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question


She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.


So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.


The reason why Gabby was playing the post last year was that UCONN's only other option, Buck, wasn't better than Gabby at the position. That won't be the case with Stevens coming in. Gabby is most likely returning to her natural guard position. This is a good thing because Gabby won't be a post player in the WNBA.

Here is a description of Stevens from her Duke bio:
Quote:
A very talented player with huge potential ... a tremendous athletic player and is graceful ... aggressive ... has excellent three point shooting ability ... can play any position on the floor ... very determined and exciting to watch.


Hmmm, combine that with the fact that she's 6'6. It's sounding a lot like Jonquel Jones. A year or two ago, if you would have said you thought Jonquel Jones would be a better WNBA prospect than Azura Stevens, most people would have thought you were crazy. Jones started out at Clemson and transferred to mid-major GW. Not the greatest resume. It remains to be seen if Stevens will compare to Jones. Jones has gotten the opportunity and made the most of it, but I think it looks good for her. I guess you'll just have to watch UConn this year and see for yourself. If you don't want to project her as a Top 5, that's up to you. You'll probably alone in that regard.


So Gabby playing guard will benefit her in the WNBA how ? Shes played post almost her entire college career and she shifts to guard her senior year and people are expecting her to be a lottery pick ? Shocked And yes i will be alone in that regard on Stevens , all this publicity using other players to compare her to and yada yada same stuff was said for Plum. Let her game do the talking then i will consider her an elite player in this draft. Hopefully she lives up to these crazy standards people are projecting of her


Gabby came into UConn as a guard. She only played post out of the necessity for the team. It's not like Geno decided she was a horrible guard, and shifted her to the post. She's been working on her shot, so if it develops then yes she will be. She'd be a good fit for SA, Chicago and Indiana.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, you stopped throwing shade at Stevens and now you're throwing it at Gabby? First time I was wowed by Gabby was the big regular season game against ND. She singlehandedly dismantled them with a line of 19 points, 12 rebounds, six assists and five steals. She's been wowing me ever since. She's the best defender on a UConn team. Coaches are thirsting for college players willing to put energy into defense. Any team will be lucky to have Gabby.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 910



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Azura Stevens is good but im confused on why people are giving her NPOY status. She was a baller nat Duke and has W talent but not once during her two years did I stop and think she will be the "Next Big Thing" Question


She got to practice with the team last year, so Geno has kinda hyped her. Gabby says she's hardest to guard on the team.


So that means she automatically becomes a top 5 draft pick ? Laughing I believe she has the talents to be but 1 year with the program playing with Gabby , KLS & Kia / phe wont get you many touches or chances to show your an elite draft pick. Something has to give , either she comes out worlds ablazing or Gabby's production decreases.


The reason why Gabby was playing the post last year was that UCONN's only other option, Buck, wasn't better than Gabby at the position. That won't be the case with Stevens coming in. Gabby is most likely returning to her natural guard position. This is a good thing because Gabby won't be a post player in the WNBA.

Here is a description of Stevens from her Duke bio:
Quote:
A very talented player with huge potential ... a tremendous athletic player and is graceful ... aggressive ... has excellent three point shooting ability ... can play any position on the floor ... very determined and exciting to watch.


Hmmm, combine that with the fact that she's 6'6. It's sounding a lot like Jonquel Jones. A year or two ago, if you would have said you thought Jonquel Jones would be a better WNBA prospect than Azura Stevens, most people would have thought you were crazy. Jones started out at Clemson and transferred to mid-major GW. Not the greatest resume. It remains to be seen if Stevens will compare to Jones. Jones has gotten the opportunity and made the most of it, but I think it looks good for her. I guess you'll just have to watch UConn this year and see for yourself. If you don't want to project her as a Top 5, that's up to you. You'll probably alone in that regard.


Doesn't Stevens have two years of eligibility left? Has there been any indication if she plans to stay or go after only one?


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3680
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Wait, you stopped throwing shade at Stevens and now you're throwing it at Gabby? First time I was wowed by Gabby was the big regular season game against ND. She singlehandedly dismantled them with a line of 19 points, 12 rebounds, six assists and five steals. She's been wowing me ever since. She's the best defender on a UConn team. Coaches are thirsting for college players willing to put energy into defense. Any team will be lucky to have Gabby.


No shade i think both players are hell of a talents , i just wanted an explanation for the hype . Gabby did dismantle ND i do agree playing the 4 . I stated Gabby playing guard would not benefit her WNBA stock . Geno was reluctant to even use her as a guard , but since she's worked on her shot so vastly i guess this would work ? Although i think shes most effective playing the 4 & Indiana would be the perfect team. Gabby's work ethic is unmatched imo. So no shade please don't misinterpret shades



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

Doesn't Stevens have two years of eligibility left? Has there been any indication if she plans to stay or go after only one?


Yes she does, so you can never tell what might happen.

Here's my rationale for her moving on after one year. That's exactly what both Davis and Gray did after one year at SC. They got their championship and spring-boarded early to the WNBA. If UConn doesn't win next year (they're the prohibited favorite), then she'll have to weigh her options. You never know what's important to individual players, but I gotta believe she didn't transfer from Duke to UConn because education is a priority. She should have enough credits to graduate after this next season. Does she really need another year at UConn?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18501



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Doesn't Stevens have two years of eligibility left? Has there been any indication if she plans to stay or go after only one?


Yes she does, so you can never tell what might happen.

Here's my rationale for her moving on after one year. That's exactly what both Davis and Gray did after one year at SC. They got their championship and spring-boarded early to the WNBA. If UConn doesn't win next year (they're the prohibited favorite), then she'll have to weigh her options. You never know what's important to individual players, but I gotta believe she didn't transfer from Duke to UConn because education is a priority. She should have enough credits to graduate after this next season. Does she really need another year at UConn?


You read it here first...UConn is not allowed to win this year. They are the prohibited favorite. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Doesn't Stevens have two years of eligibility left? Has there been any indication if she plans to stay or go after only one?


Yes she does, so you can never tell what might happen.

Here's my rationale for her moving on after one year. That's exactly what both Davis and Gray did after one year at SC. They got their championship and spring-boarded early to the WNBA. If UConn doesn't win next year (they're the prohibited favorite), then she'll have to weigh her options. You never know what's important to individual players, but I gotta believe she didn't transfer from Duke to UConn because education is a priority. She should have enough credits to graduate after this next season. Does she really need another year at UConn?


Actually, after experiencing the coaching of McCallie, she might benefit from two full years of coaching under Auriemma. She might have moved to UConn not just for a championship but for the coaching and development that she would receive. A post is also usually slower to develop than a shooter anyway. But starting out your statement that she will do it because that was what the other two did last year ignores all the other times when a player did not do that (Candace Parker, Brittney Griner).


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 242



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby played guard on her fathers AAU team, mostly in lower level tournaments, she has played in the paint as she did not have the guard skills to play that position at Uconn. There are articles quoting Geno about it. That aside, she is an amazing athlete but some are expecting a lot from her if you think she will suddenly be playing guard at the level needed for the W. W teams would want her for her hustle and being a Uconn player as a true teammate and playing the right way, alone.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14297
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is this in the Storms thread?



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Why is this in the Storms thread?


Because someone doesn't know how to start a new topic.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Why is this in the Storms thread?


I know, some nice draft talk is kinda wasted on the Storm thread.... but they do seem to need the most help on the subject. Surprised



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Why is this in the Storms thread?


I know, some nice draft talk is kinda wasted on the Storm thread.... but they do seem to need the most help on the subject. Surprised


Let me know when the nice and helpful draft talk starts.


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 756



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.


boucek has a long history with seattle and the franchise. after she left ann donovan as assistant, she stayed with the organization as a scout for the sonics. then came back as agler assistant. so the storm's ownership/management might have some loyalty feeling toward her.?


Hmm. Loyalty or being a winning team??


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 9928
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.


Boucek has a long history with seattle and the franchise. after she left ann donovan as assistant, she stayed with the organization as a scout for the sonics. then came back as agler assistant. so the storm's ownership/management might have some loyalty feeling toward her.?


I suspect Sue Bird wanted Boucek around. Otherwise, Bird probably would have sought free agency and sign with another team. And I doubt the Storm owners wanted that to happen.

But if the Storm don't make the playoffs this season, I think Boucek's time with the team is done, no matter what Sue or any other player says. Rolling Eyes



_________________
"My mechanic told me, 'I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder'." - comedian Steven Wright
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
scrappy wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rebuilding can become a way of life (e.g. the Wings).


The Storm should have snatched up Curt Miller when they had the chance. Hell, they should have kept Brian Agler. Instead, they went with a re-tread shitty coach that was never any good in the past and IS living up to her reputation.


Boucek has a long history with seattle and the franchise. after she left ann donovan as assistant, she stayed with the organization as a scout for the sonics. then came back as agler assistant. so the storm's ownership/management might have some loyalty feeling toward her.?


I suspect Sue Bird wanted Boucek around. Otherwise, Bird probably would have sought free agency and sign with another team. And I doubt the Storm owners wanted that to happen.

But if the Storm don't make the playoffs this season, I think Boucek's time with the team is done, no matter what Sue or any other player says. Rolling Eyes


From what I understand, Sue did stay in part because they hired Jenny but did not have any direct input at the time. Seattle no longer has any beat reporters so we have no insight into the dynamics to know who is responsible for the personnel decisions which I think is at the heart of the issue. I didn't like the Swords trade when it was made but convinced myself that the team saw something I didn't. So, who brought in a player who was so ill-suited to the system? Who was responsible for not being able to bring in any decent free agents in the last 3 years? I am sick of seeing marvelously athletic opponents shoot freely and confidently while the Storm throw an undersized and average (but very basketball-savvy) group in and hope the system can generate enough offense.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19339
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good coach, to at least some extent, fits the system to the players rather than blithely hoping it'll work the other way around. You have to build the right holes for your pegs, rather than just jamming them in whether they're square, round, hexagonal or whatever.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 249



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why in the world would Bird feel that kind of loyalty to such a mediocre coach?



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7280



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Why in the world would Bird feel that kind of loyalty to such a mediocre coach?


Loyalty to city, team, and maybe establishing the next generation. Also maybe she has a higher opinion of what they are trying to do than a bunch of basement warriors.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Why in the world would Bird feel that kind of loyalty to such a mediocre coach?


Loyalty to city, team, and maybe establishing the next generation. Also maybe she has a higher opinion of what they are trying to do than a bunch of basement warriors.


I prefer cellar commandos.......


Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 249



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Why in the world would Bird feel that kind of loyalty to such a mediocre coach?


Loyalty to city, team, and maybe establishing the next generation. Also maybe she has a higher opinion of what they are trying to do than a bunch of basement warriors.

First of all, my house doesn't have a basement. :P Second of all, believing in what they're trying to do is all well and to the good, but it doesn't magically make Boucek anything other than the mediocre coach that she is.



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5518
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Why in the world would Bird feel that kind of loyalty to such a mediocre coach?


Loyalty to city, team, and maybe establishing the next generation. Also maybe she has a higher opinion of what they are trying to do than a bunch of basement warriors.


I prefer cellar commandos.......


Let me know when you n00bs graduate to the first floor like me.



_________________
chicago sky tankwagon 2017
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6259



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My house doesn't even have a first floor. Its all basement.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/renovation/videos/a26227/missle-silo-house/


RP



Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 1178



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live in a crackhouse. With a family of 12. Every night we spoon for warmth. Everybody fights for Noelle. She's the fattest. There's nothing that we don't share. Floor space, dental floss, even condoms.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
I live in a crackhouse. With a family of 12. Every night we spoon for warmth. Everybody fights for Noelle. She's the fattest. There's nothing that we don't share. Floor space, dental floss, even condoms.


Yeah, and even with all the advantages Miller has as a WNBA coach, you'll still be a better player scout. Wink



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54443
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/10/17 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boucek fired. Kloppenburg is interim coach.



_________________
All the bad boys are standing in the shadows
All the good girls are home with broken hearts
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43671



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/10/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Boucek fired. Kloppenburg is interim coach.


Newbie Megdal can move mountains



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54443
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/10/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering WNBA coaches have been fired based on anonymous message board threads, it's not a high bar to clear.



_________________
All the bad boys are standing in the shadows
All the good girls are home with broken hearts
bcdawg04



Joined: 12 Apr 2016
Posts: 252
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/10/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it will be difficult to feel much optimism until we get a better GM.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin