RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alcarp



Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 19
Location: Ohio


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Okorie for the Mystics. They really don't need a post player that scores the ball with all the offense they have. Okorie is a VERY physical and long 6'5. She can set screens, rebound, and defend. That sounds exactly like what the Mystics need in a backup center. Plus Okorie didn't start playing basketball until her teen years. There's a lot of potential there.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

alcarp wrote:
I like Okorie for the Mystics. They really don't need a post player that scores the ball with all the offense they have. Okorie is a VERY physical and long 6'5. She can set screens, rebound, and defend. That sounds exactly like what the Mystics need in a backup center. Plus Okorie didn't start playing basketball until her teen years. There's a lot of potential there.


Now this sounds like some legit analysis, unlike cracking on a player for being the first cut in camp.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are several has-beens and never-wases playing overseas and getting what seems like enviable stats. Just grab your dartboard and find yourself a player, myrtle. It's that simple, right? But you gotta figure, there are reasons why these players don't catch on with the league, and those reasons aren't likely to disappear just because you decided to throw a whimsical dart.

Take Michelle Snow who played with Brunson in the much more venerable Turkish league. She's averaged a double-double and has presumably built up some chemistry with the foundation. Why are the Lynx bothering injecting new blood into 5th post roster spot when they could just pick up this double double machine? Snow in Minnesota seems like a natural fit.

Like the wise Trudi Lacey once said, we're not looking behind us. We're only moving forward.





_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6291



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem with snow in Minnesota is it always melts by summer time.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19354
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Problem with snow in Minnesota is it always melts by summer time.

There's also the problem of it requiring at least the vet minimum, 15 grand more than a rookie.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5224
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Like the wise Trudi Lacey once said, we're not looking behind us. We're only moving forward.


Wise Mystics fans say "we're finally moving forward because Trudi Lacey is behind us."



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3850
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

There's also the problem of it requiring at least the vet minimum, 15 grand more than a rookie.


And not all rookies are created equal. There's a reason some are drafted and some are not. Vets aren't all the same either. Like age 28 is close to athletic prime, whereas age 37 is close to retirement.



_________________
Under-loved, over-fed
My man's gone, so instead
I got rocks in my bed
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11301



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another big body for the Mystics:

Los Angeles - Cave, Khadijiah Waived


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20228



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Another big body for the Mystics:

Los Angeles - Cave, Khadijiah Waived


not as interesting as Chinwe though.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Another big body for the Mystics:

Los Angeles - Cave, Khadijiah Waived


not as interesting as Chinwe though.


Not nearly



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5158



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/17 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote



WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3714
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:


thats an awfully small looking team there .



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
SportsGuru



Joined: 20 May 2005
Posts: 4222



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Enough with the notion Mike Thibault having interest in signing Chinwe Okorie. Mike Thibault has scouted Okorie a whole season through the eyes of his daughter Carly who is an assistant coach with Miss State. I believe if Mike Thibault wanted Okorie he would've signed her as a undrafted free agent.

I'm confident if Mike Thibault believes the Mystics need frontcourt help he'll find someone.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20228



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/29/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Enough with the notion Mike Thibault having interest in signing Chinwe Okorie. Mike Thibault has scouted Okorie a whole season through the eyes of his daughter Carly who is an assistant coach with Miss State. I believe if Mike Thibault wanted Okorie he would've signed her as a undrafted free agent.

I'm confident if Mike Thibault believes the Mystics need frontcourt help he'll find someone.


good point. I suspect Okorie may not be the quickest study...that's a polite way of putting it. But I don't know that for sure. You're right of course that Carly would have the total inside story.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 11339



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Latta
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas

Toliver is definitely the starting PG.
Cloud was last year's starting PG. Only makes sense she's this year's backup.
I loved Latta in college, but it might be time to move on. Thibault have a little guts.
Ruffin-Pratt is suffering with back spasms. Have to keep an eye on that. Malott survives? Says something about the people he's brought in.
Hawkins and Taylor are backup PF's? Seems pretty weak, but maybe I'll be surprised?
Meesseman a center?


It's definitely not a team built on defense, and they're a post injury away from an issue. I can't think of a time where we have seen a WNBA team built this way, so heavily weighted toward fantastic offense but with a number of question marks on the other side of it. However, I've thought they wouldn't be all that good defensively before and he has coached them up to do it better than you would think his personnel should do it. So I wouldn't count them out to lead the league in offensive efficiency and maybe be in the 5-7 range on defense. They do at least have TRP, who is one of the league's better defensive 3's, and they'll have some length inside with EM and EDD.


Not hard at all. The Phoenix "run and gunners" ring a bell? They've been trying to switch to a style that works better with Griner but it's the "run and gunners" who won Championships.


You're 100% correct. What I was specifically thinking at the time, and should have phrased within, was the context of the 3 point shooting. Phoenix had some excellent shooters, but nobody shot over 40% from 3 on the 2007 team. A few players did on the '09 team, but only Taurasi was a notable volume scorer of the players who started regularly and pulled off the feat.

The Mystics have probably 3 of the 5 best 3 point shooters in the world. It's possible they have the best 3 period. So I was thinking of it in terms of, wow, I don't know that we've ever seen a team that can space the floor in such a unique way. Not to mention the height of the players involved. EDD is nearly impossible to defend as it is with her height and length. Throw in two other huge 3 ball shooters, one of them being 6'4" and versatile in her own right and from that standpoint it's a totally unique team.

But yes, I stand corrected based on what I wrote. Phoenix won two titles with #1 offense and nearly bottom or bottom ranked defense twice. Though in the Merc's case, those numbers were slightly skewed by getting annihilated on the offensive glass both years. That results in more possessions, but also higher percentage shots. I don't envision DC getting annihilated to that extent on the offensive glass. Unlike Phoenix in those two seasons, I'm not sold that they will have a representative defensive FG% though. Thibault schemes quite well so if he can work around it I wouldn't be surprised.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3318
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Enough with the notion Mike Thibault having interest in signing Chinwe Okorie. Mike Thibault has scouted Okorie a whole season through the eyes of his daughter Carly who is an assistant coach with Miss State. I believe if Mike Thibault wanted Okorie he would've signed her as a undrafted free agent.

I'm confident if Mike Thibault believes the Mystics need frontcourt help he'll find someone.


good point. I suspect Okorie may not be the quickest study...that's a polite way of putting it. But I don't know that for sure. You're right of course that Carly would have the total inside story.


Okorie has basically only had 4 years of organized basketball. I think she may have played one year of prep ball but Vic saw her playing volleyball and liked her size among other things. So, given that she was invited to WNBA camp, she's progressed relatively quickly. Even if she
Doesn't have a high High ceiling, her best years of play are still probably in front of her.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7699
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Range waived


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14305
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Latta
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas

Toliver is definitely the starting PG.
Cloud was last year's starting PG. Only makes sense she's this year's backup.
I loved Latta in college, but it might be time to move on. Thibault have a little guts.
Ruffin-Pratt is suffering with back spasms. Have to keep an eye on that. Malott survives? Says something about the people he's brought in.
Hawkins and Taylor are backup PF's? Seems pretty weak, but maybe I'll be surprised?
Meesseman a center?


It's definitely not a team built on defense, and they're a post injury away from an issue. I can't think of a time where we have seen a WNBA team built this way, so heavily weighted toward fantastic offense but with a number of question marks on the other side of it. However, I've thought they wouldn't be all that good defensively before and he has coached them up to do it better than you would think his personnel should do it. So I wouldn't count them out to lead the league in offensive efficiency and maybe be in the 5-7 range on defense. They do at least have TRP, who is one of the league's better defensive 3's, and they'll have some length inside with EM and EDD.


Not hard at all. The Phoenix "run and gunners" ring a bell? They've been trying to switch to a style that works better with Griner but it's the "run and gunners" who won Championships.


You're 100% correct. What I was specifically thinking at the time, and should have phrased within, was the context of the 3 point shooting. Phoenix had some excellent shooters, but nobody shot over 40% from 3 on the 2007 team. A few players did on the '09 team, but only Taurasi was a notable volume scorer of the players who started regularly and pulled off the feat.

The Mystics have probably 3 of the 5 best 3 point shooters in the world. It's possible they have the best 3 period. So I was thinking of it in terms of, wow, I don't know that we've ever seen a team that can space the floor in such a unique way. Not to mention the height of the players involved. EDD is nearly impossible to defend as it is with her height and length. Throw in two other huge 3 ball shooters, one of them being 6'4" and versatile in her own right and from that standpoint it's a totally unique team.

But yes, I stand corrected based on what I wrote. Phoenix won two titles with #1 offense and nearly bottom or bottom ranked defense twice. Though in the Merc's case, those numbers were slightly skewed by getting annihilated on the offensive glass both years. That results in more possessions, but also higher percentage shots. I don't envision DC getting annihilated to that extent on the offensive glass. Unlike Phoenix in those two seasons, I'm not sold that they will have a representative defensive FG% though. Thibault schemes quite well so if he can work around it I wouldn't be surprised.


Ill take Taurasi and Penny Taylor 3pointshooting over Meesseman any day of the week Laughing And im a big fan of Emma for years.. She gets her 3pointshots when she is wide open

But yeah you are correct that EDD, Toliver and Meesseman are good 3pointshooters which makes them tough to guard for sure. Hill too when she is on fire but she is a lot more streaky then the others..



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 11339



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that. But in this offense, Emma is going to get a lot of open 3s, and she's only 23-24. It's been tailor-made for her game for years. Toliver and EDD being added should only help that. And who's to say her shot won't improve when contested? You yourself have implied she's better than Charles because her FG% is higher. If so, contested 3s shouldn't be an issue as she continues to develop.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14305
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I understand that. But in this offense, Emma is going to get a lot of open 3s, and she's only 23-24. It's been tailor-made for her game for years. Toliver and EDD being added should only help that. And who's to say her shot won't improve when contested? You yourself have implied she's better than Charles because her FG% is higher. If so, contested 3s shouldn't be an issue as she continues to develop.


Are you going to tell Emma that she needs to take contested 3pointers or 3pointshots off the dribble Razz She will think that her teammates will get a more open shot and she will pass in that case. Thats just the player/person she is. But hopefully Mike T and players like EDD will keep on her to take more shots and be more assertive.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20228



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I understand that. But in this offense, Emma is going to get a lot of open 3s, and she's only 23-24. It's been tailor-made for her game for years. Toliver and EDD being added should only help that. And who's to say her shot won't improve when contested? You yourself have implied she's better than Charles because her FG% is higher. If so, contested 3s shouldn't be an issue as she continues to develop.


Are you going to tell Emma that she needs to take contested 3pointers or 3pointshots off the dribble Razz She will think that her teammates will get a more open shot and she will pass in that case. Thats just the player/person she is. But hopefully Mike T and players like EDD will keep on her to take more shots and be more assertive.


I think Emma's selfless play will actually be great now that she has two teammates who can take the burden off her. She can shoot when she feels comfortable and pass when she doesn't. She needs to shoot enough that the defense can't just back off her because we know she can shoot. But with these teammates she no longer needs to feel pressured to take the most shots. It's a great situation for her.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14305
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/30/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I understand that. But in this offense, Emma is going to get a lot of open 3s, and she's only 23-24. It's been tailor-made for her game for years. Toliver and EDD being added should only help that. And who's to say her shot won't improve when contested? You yourself have implied she's better than Charles because her FG% is higher. If so, contested 3s shouldn't be an issue as she continues to develop.


Are you going to tell Emma that she needs to take contested 3pointers or 3pointshots off the dribble Razz She will think that her teammates will get a more open shot and she will pass in that case. Thats just the player/person she is. But hopefully Mike T and players like EDD will keep on her to take more shots and be more assertive.


I think Emma's selfless play will actually be great now that she has two teammates who can take the burden off her. She can shoot when she feels comfortable and pass when she doesn't. She needs to shoot enough that the defense can't just back off her because we know she can shoot. But with these teammates she no longer needs to feel pressured to take the most shots. It's a great situation for her.


Yeah i agree. Ive been saying it a lot. Emma likes to be that 2nd or 3rd scorer on a team. She doesnt want to be the first option.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/01/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hill injured as Mystics prepare for preseason opener

Quote:
Hill indicated the injury was not serious, but her status for Tuesday afternoon's preseason opener at the Indiana Fever remains in doubt, according to Coach Mike Thibault.

Even if Hill's ankle has recovered enough by Tuesday, she likely won't be on the court for an extended period. Thibault said he plans to use the game more as an evaluation tool for younger players, most notably Walker-Kimbrough, the No. 6 pick in this year's draft. Washington's other picks were Jennie Simms in the second round and Mehryn Kraker in the third.


Quote:

"Usually first exhibition game you're looking for a couple things," Thibault said. "To see how much they retain from what you've done for a little over a week [of training camp], who retains it, who has poise. Second thing is you're trying to evaluate players, who makes your roster, what groups fit together. It's a little different when you don't have three or four people playing."


Quote:
Reserve point guard Ivory Latta also won't play Tuesday, Thibault said, so she can rest her surgically repaired right knee. Latta, a two-time all-star, is entering her 11th WNBA season after undergoing a procedure last year similar to that of Washington Wizards point guard John Wall.


Quote:
Thibault has yet to announce who the fifth starter will be with Delle Donne, Meesseman, Toliver and Hill for the regular season opener, although tenacious defender Tierra Ruffin-Pratt remains a leading contender.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
wnbafan



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 460
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/06/17 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got this email from the bus company for the 5/14 game:
"Thank you for signing up to join us for the basketball game on May 14th to cheer on Elena! When I first planned this trip I just put a 14 passenger vehicle on it, then changed it to a 24, 35, 50 and now a 56 passenger bus! There are 4 seats left if you know anyone who is wanting to go!!"

I'm syked to be riding on a bus full of fans. It brings back memories of the early days when I would catch the metro to a game to find the train filled with Mystics fans.

Thanks to UofDel_Alum for getting this arranged.
Very Happy


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6291



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/06/17 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New career for UDA - travel agent.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5158



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/08/17 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elena Delle Donne was the Fox News Sunday "Power Player of the Week". They started by saying that she was both a "star player" and a "role model". She was willing to sit out a season to force a move. They talked about her older sister Lizzy, who EDD says has taught her more than anybody in her life. They also mentioned her lyme disease, which she says has always felt like flu-like symptoms for her (mentioned low energy, aching muscles). She took host Chris Wallace to the Mystics practice court and gave him pointers on shooting. They also talked about her charitable foundation which raises money for lyme disease and children with special needs. They ended by mentioning another time that "Elena has upended her life to be closer to her sister Lizzy" - her leaving Connecticut University for Delaware University.


UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/08/17 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
Got this email from the bus company for the 5/14 game:
"Thank you for signing up to join us for the basketball game on May 14th to cheer on Elena! When I first planned this trip I just put a 14 passenger vehicle on it, then changed it to a 24, 35, 50 and now a 56 passenger bus! There are 4 seats left if you know anyone who is wanting to go!!"

I'm syked to be riding on a bus full of fans. It brings back memories of the early days when I would catch the metro to a game to find the train filled with Mystics fans.

Thanks to UofDel_Alum for getting this arranged.
Very Happy


Your very welcome!!!! The Delaware fans that want to see EDD and the Mystics play will only get bigger>


UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/08/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
New career for UDA - travel agent.



Shocked Laughing


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20228



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/08/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Randy wrote:
New career for UDA - travel agent.



Shocked Laughing


hope you are getting a cut/discount!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19354
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mehryn Kraker, Ally Malott, Ashley Morrissette and Caira Washington all waived.

ETA: Which I think means they're done, barring trades/extra pickups.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/


Last edited by Richyyy on 05/09/17 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6291



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
Randy wrote:
New career for UDA - travel agent.



Shocked Laughing


hope you are getting a cut/discount!


I heard they offered to let him drive.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20228



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Mehryn Kraker, Ally Malott, Ashley Morrissette and Caira Washington all waived.

ETA: Which I think means they're done, barring trades/extra pickups.


Kraker hitting shots was pretty impressive, so I guess there was some other problem to her game? Maybe that was the sum and total of what she could do?

The others are not surprising. Malott is like a 4th string PF on this team and really can't play the SF IMO.

So I guess Simms and Taylor made the team. Interesting.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Kraker hitting shots was pretty impressive, so I guess there was some other problem to her game? Maybe that was the sum and total of what she could do?


Didn't seem to hurt Fagbenle



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

So I guess Simms and Taylor made the team. Interesting.


Simms was especially odd. I guess he always feels a need to keep one mid-major project.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5224
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Mehryn Kraker, Ally Malott, Ashley Morrissette and Caira Washington all waived.

ETA: Which I think means they're done, barring trades/extra pickups.


Kraker hitting shots was pretty impressive, so I guess there was some other problem to her game? Maybe that was the sum and total of what she could do?

The others are not surprising. Malott is like a 4th string PF on this team and really can't play the SF IMO.

So I guess Simms and Taylor made the team. Interesting.


It's ALL about versatility! Asia can play 3/4. Simms can play 3/1. Malott was a classic tweener who could not hold down the 4 or the 3. And then there's Tiana Hawkins' explosive performance! She can bang and knock down the three. Mike T loves versatility! I haven't seen Simms play, but her height and background at PG reminds me of Cloud. Love having some tall guards to go against KTO on offense and defense.

But versatility is not always useful. The two players holding down the SG spot are both pretty locked in there. They 'might' switch to the three when playing alongside 6'4 and 6'5, but neither is quite tall enough. TRP is a short SF, but uses her body extraordinarily well in defense and rebounding. Hill and SWK have smaller frames.

I don't expect Simms or Taylor to get a lot of playing time except in the case of injury or overseas commitments of other players.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 3927



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is it something like

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/SWK/Latta
TRP/Simms
EDD/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesemen/K. Thomas


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 43708



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So is it something like

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/SWK/Latta
TRP/Simms
EDD/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesemen/K. Thomas


Looking like it. You'd think there'd be better options than Simms hitting the wire... but need for m-m project



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 3927



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/09/17 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
So is it something like

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/SWK/Latta
TRP/Simms
EDD/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesemen/K. Thomas


Looking like it. You'd think there'd be better options than Simms hitting the wire... but need for m-m project


Also we will probably see EDD and Taylor play some three and maybe some 3 guard line-ups where Hill, Cloud or even SWK ends up at the three, so Simms isn't going to be a make or break player for Mike T.

I believe in the next few days we will see cuts where the new kid is given the benefit of the doubt over the known commodity. Dallas cut Hooper and Bias over some late round rookies, Washington went with newbies Simms and Tayler over Maloot, and I bet we'll see it again in a couple other places before all the cuts are done.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14044



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Thomas is the only one who'll play center when Emma is out? Does Thibault go small and play EDD or Hawkins at center? If I'm Thibault, I'd dump Simms & pick-up a post(Hamson? Osahor? Alleyne?).



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 3714
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think osahor would be a good fit here , still would not fix the size issues downlow though.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So Thomas is the only one who'll play center when Emma is out? Does Thibault go small and play EDD or Hawkins at center? If I'm Thibault, I'd dump Simms & pick-up a post(Hamson? Osahor? Alleyne?).


EDD would not be a good fit at center


Lumes



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 461
Location: Ukraine


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1) She got MVP in the season, when playing closer to the basket and being main rim protector and best rebounder on the team. So the Sky almost got 1 seed on the East (and 1 overall) that season.
2) Probably, withot Emma Tiana Hawkins can play some minutes as back up C.
3) Why is everybody so afraid of small ball, even having best pure shooting team in the league?


UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lumes wrote:
1) She got MVP in the season, when playing closer to the basket and being main rim protector and best rebounder on the team. So the Sky almost got 1 seed on the East (and 1 overall) that season.
2) Probably, withot Emma Tiana Hawkins can play some minutes as back up C.
3) Why is everybody so afraid of small ball, even having best pure shooting team in the league?



Her defense


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2608
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to see Washington play small ball the entire season.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5224
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lumes wrote:
1) She got MVP in the season, when playing closer to the basket and being main rim protector and best rebounder on the team. So the Sky almost got 1 seed on the East (and 1 overall) that season.
2) Probably, withot Emma Tiana Hawkins can play some minutes as back up C.
3) Why is everybody so afraid of small ball, even having best pure shooting team in the league?


I think the duo of Hawkins & EDD can provide decent (not great, but decent) rim protection. We'd lose some of Hawkins' outside shooting, so 2 of the other 3 positions needs to include shooters - those who are actually hitting a fair number of their shots. Plenty of shooters (Hill, etc) go hot/cold and we can't afford to keep someone on the floor who's not hitting at all.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
tobequeen711



Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 314



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 1:46 pm    ::: Viewing Question Reply Reply with quote

Do we have to subscribe and pay money to Monumental Sports Network to see the Mystic's home games?



_________________
Sports Fan - Basketball, Tennis and the NFL
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20228



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Lumes wrote:
1) She got MVP in the season, when playing closer to the basket and being main rim protector and best rebounder on the team. So the Sky almost got 1 seed on the East (and 1 overall) that season.
2) Probably, withot Emma Tiana Hawkins can play some minutes as back up C.
3) Why is everybody so afraid of small ball, even having best pure shooting team in the league?


I think the duo of Hawkins & EDD can provide decent (not great, but decent) rim protection. We'd lose some of Hawkins' outside shooting, so 2 of the other 3 positions needs to include shooters - those who are actually hitting a fair number of their shots. Plenty of shooters (Hill, etc) go hot/cold and we can't afford to keep someone on the floor who's not hitting at all.


Big Syl's eyes light up as she just backs 'em up deep into the paint. They don't have enough heft to stop her.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Lumes



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 461
Location: Ukraine


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/17 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But on the other hand, Fowles will spend most of the time in defense far from the rim. I would say, that in this duel Stics will benefit more. With Dolson at C they also didn't get any chances vs dominant centers. But now - take out big Syl from the rim and kill old Lynx with 3pt and penetrations. Make them sweat. You don't need to compete in muscles, make Lynx compete in speed.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5158



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LZz2qzvLrp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3787
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/12/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elena will be on Sports Center on Sunday Morning. Shows her playing dodge ball.


https://twitter.com/espnW/status/862770561558093825


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin