RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/22/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that Wang was reporting what Thibault told him it's probably accurate, but it still just sounds weird that Sanders is 'out for the season due to foot surgery' when she played 32 minutes today in the Turkish playoffs. Presumably she's waiting to have the surgery once her Turkish season is done.

If Sanders is out and her contract is therefore removed from calculations, the Mystics are probably fine to keep 12, if they want.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver/Latta
Hill/SWK/Cloud
TRP/Taylor
EDD/Hawkins
Meesseman/K. Thomas

12th spot up for grabs with Taylor being able to play some 4 and EDD/SWK and even Hill being able to play some 3 the last spot could be at any position. Also there could be some decent posts on the waiver wire if Mike T wants another banger instead of Maloot.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Latta
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas

Toliver is definitely the starting PG.
Cloud was last year's starting PG. Only makes sense she's this year's backup.
I loved Latta in college, but it might be time to move on. Thibault have a little guts.
Ruffin-Pratt is suffering with back spasms. Have to keep an eye on that. Malott survives? Says something about the people he's brought in.
Hawkins and Taylor are backup PF's? Seems pretty weak, but maybe I'll be surprised?
Meesseman a center?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/22/17 10:30 pm    ::: Re: Training camp roster Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Morissette is a point guard. Simms was a point guard in college, but very turnover prone. Don't know if they want to fix that or move her to SG.

It would be a major surprise if either one made the team.

RAF asked a question and I answered it. My post wasn't meant as an endorsement -- although given Mike T's statement about wanting versatility, Simms might have a better chance than people think. She has the size and athletic ability to play 1,2,3. And when did Malott and Taylor become such world-beaters?

PostPosted: 04/23/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latta would be the veteran on this team, so unless Thibault trades her, I doubt she's gone.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/23/17 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Meesseman/Thomas

I loved Latta in college, but it might be time to move on. Thibault have a little guts.
Ruffin-Pratt is suffering with back spasms. Have to keep an eye on that. Malott survives? Says something about the people he's brought in.
Hawkins and Taylor are backup PF's? Seems pretty weak, but maybe I'll be surprised?
Meesseman a center?

It's definitely not a team built on defense, and they're a post injury away from an issue. I can't think of a time where we have seen a WNBA team built this way, so heavily weighted toward fantastic offense but with a number of question marks on the other side of it. However, I've thought they wouldn't be all that good defensively before and he has coached them up to do it better than you would think his personnel should do it. So I wouldn't count them out to lead the league in offensive efficiency and maybe be in the 5-7 range on defense. They do at least have TRP, who is one of the league's better defensive 3's, and they'll have some length inside with EM and EDD.

PostPosted: 04/23/17 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Meesseman/Thomas

Meesseman a center?

It's definitely not a team built on defense, and they're a post injury away from an issue. I can't think of a time where we have seen a WNBA team built this way, so heavily weighted toward fantastic offense but with a number of question marks on the other side of it. However, I've thought they wouldn't be all that good defensively before and he has coached them up to do it better than you would think his personnel should do it. So I wouldn't count them out to lead the league in offensive efficiency and maybe be in the 5-7 range on defense. They do at least have TRP, who is one of the league's better defensive 3's, and they'll have some length inside with EM and EDD.

Not hard at all. The Phoenix "run and gunners" ring a bell? They've been trying to switch to a style that works better with Griner but it's the "run and gunners" who won Championships.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/23/17 10:39 am    ::: Re: Training camp roster Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Morissette is a point guard. Simms was a point guard in college, but very turnover prone. Don't know if they want to fix that or move her to SG.

RAF asked a question and I answered it. My post wasn't meant as an endorsement -- although given Mike T's statement about wanting versatility, Simms might have a better chance than people think. She has the size and athletic ability to play 1,2,3. And when did Malott and Taylor become such world-beaters?

yeah, Simms is intriguing. And I've never watched her in a game so am probably too quick to make the judgment. There's always hope.

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/23/17 11:38 am    ::: Re: Training camp roster Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

yeah, Simms is intriguing. And I've never watched her in a game so am probably too quick to make the judgment. There's always hope.

You'll note I gave Simms twice the odds of any other guard of making the team. 10% for Simms vs 5% for everyone else.

I think we pick up Lindsey Allen when she gets cut from NY and give her a chance to win a spot. With all our scorers, we don't need that at PG. She's a facilitator, loves to run the floor and can defend other PG's.

~rAf
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 04/23/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DC will be able to run plays like:

"Latta" / Hill / TRP / Meesseman / "Dolson"

and get about the same defense.

On offense, Hill and Meesseman will be open for the first time in their careers. And whether TRP or any part of the 2nd team, is playing, they'll be looking at this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBiGuNbLfo

toad455

PostPosted: 04/23/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Taylor should be counting her blessing Sanders isn't playing this season. Her chances of making the team just skyrocketed.

PG: Toliver/Cloud
SG: Hill/Latta/SWK
SF: Ruffin-Pratt/Taylor
PF: Delle Donne/Hawkins
C: Meesseman/Thomas
12th: Malott/Simms/Morissette

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Full season suspension for Sanders now listed on .com's Transactions page, so definitely out for the year. Leaves them looking really thin inside again. Thomas is a career end-of-the-bench backup, they already cut Hawkins once, and Taylor's barely a post.

They better hope EDD/Meesseman works fine as a 4/5 combination, and that both stay healthy (and don't miss too much time overseas), because there really isn't much behind them.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Full season suspension for Sanders now listed on .com's Transactions page, so definitely out for the year. Leaves them looking really thin inside again. Thomas is a career end-of-the-bench backup, they already cut Hawkins once, and Taylor's barely a post.

They better hope EDD/Meesseman works fine as a 4/5 combination, and that both stay healthy (and don't miss too much time overseas), because there really isn't much behind them.

I really didn't understand dumping both Vaughn AND Dolson. I understand the need to trade one to Chicago for EDD, but the other one seemed unnecessary unless it was an attitude thing - clearing house. I love SWK, but she is pretty much a clone of T. Hill and good/decent bigs are much scarcer than guards. They have nobody on their roster to deal with bangers inside.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut & Indiana will likely have a post available to pickup. Hamson? McCall? McKinney? Just need a little insurance in case EDD or Messeeman go down. Or if playing Messeeman at center just doesn't work out.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I really didn't understand dumping both Vaughn AND Dolson. I understand the need to trade one to Chicago for EDD, but the other one seemed unnecessary unless it was an attitude thing - clearing house. I love SWK, but she is pretty much a clone of T. Hill and good/decent bigs are much scarcer than guards. They have nobody on their roster to deal with bangers inside.

I figure when they made that move they didn't know Sanders was out, because there was a bit of a salary cap crunch if they wanted to add Toliver (while re-signing Hill and Ruffin-Pratt) and Sanders was still on the books. Vaughn was probably the easiest to move, with Latta or Sanders herself as the only other real options.

Maybe Thibault just doesn't rate Brionna Jones for some reason, because for this year's team she'd certainly appear to be more useful positionally than Walker-Kimbrough.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics open training camp with revamped roster, elevated expectations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/04/24/mystics-open-training-camp-with-revamped-roster-elevated-expectations/

Quote:
Delle Donne was among 15 players who attended the first of two practices at Verizon Center after reporting to camp Sunday afternoon. The Mystics also were scheduled to practice Monday night and expected to spend the majority of that time in five-on-five scrimmages.

Quote:
During the later stages of Monday’s first practice, Mystics Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault discussed pick-and-roll defense, emphasizing communication, particularly with younger players. Washington has four rookies in camp, including guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, the sixth overall pick out of Maryland.

The players were probably like WHAAAAAA?

Quote:
“That’s going to probably be the thing that determines how good we ultimately are. Can we be a good defensive team, not an average defensive team, and if we are a good defensive team, we’re going to score a good amount of points probably.

Quote:
Thomas is the only player on the active training camp roster other than Toliver and point guard Ivory Latta with at least five years in the league. Among the Mystics’ projected starters, only Toliver has more than four years of WNBA experience.

Quote:
Tayler Hill also has served spot duty at point guard. The No. 4 pick in the 2013 draft is the projected starter at shooting guard after re-signing with Washington this past offseason.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/25/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smart move by the Mystics to bring in a typical game night crowd to help make their practise session more game-like.

PostPosted: 04/25/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Smart move by the Mystics to bring in a typical game night crowd to help make their practise session more game-like.

Noooooooooooooooo Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 04/25/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that one deserves a gold star. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/25/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always think we should have a gallery of the 'best' of Rebbies.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/25/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I always think we should have a gallery of the 'best' of Rebbies.

+1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: