RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Any chance the acquisition of EDD means the Mystics will stay at Verizon Center after 2017? If the demand for tickets is there? Are they locked into moving?

well, the new "arena" isn't expected to be completed until Fall 2018. So Mystics will still have 2 seasons at the Verizon Center. The hope is that they have enough season tickets holders due to Delle Donne that surpasses the capacity for the new arena(~4,200).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/10/17 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Any chance the acquisition of EDD means the Mystics will stay at Verizon Center after 2017? If the demand for tickets is there? Are they locked into moving?

I doubt it if they'll stay at the Verizon Center even if tickets sales increase by a lot. The Mystics owner hasn't given a rats ass about the Mystics in a long time. The whole deal to build the new smaller arena was built on the promise that the Mystics would play there in the summer and the NBA team would practice there in the winter. Personally, I think the owner of the team is sending the Mystics to the new tiny arena as a quiet way of getting rid of them and folding the team after a couple seasons.

The west coast needs more teams. The Bay Area (Warriors owner) would snap them up in a second and the team and WNBA would benefit from the move. Personally I'd love to see the Mystics die and be re-born in the Bay Area as a sister team to the Warriors. It would be a much better run franchise and be more financially stable.

Of course we'd have to have the 'new' team have a name that coincides with Warriors (like the old days when NBA and WNBA co-existed, Rockets/Comets, Kings/Monarchs, Pistons/Shock, Supersonics/Storm, Hornets/Sting etc)

The NBA's Golden State Warriors and The WNBA's Golden State Crusaders. I like it. Or Golden State Saviors.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/10/17 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I doubt it if they'll stay at the Verizon Center even if tickets sales increase by a lot. The Mystics owner hasn't given a rats ass about the Mystics in a long time. The whole deal to build the new smaller arena was built on the promise that the Mystics would play there in the summer and the NBA team would practice there in the winter. Personally, I think the owner of the team is sending the Mystics to the new tiny arena as a quiet way of getting rid of them and folding the team after a couple seasons.

The west coast needs more teams. The Bay Area (Warriors owner) would snap them up in a second and the team and WNBA would benefit from the move. Personally I'd love to see the Mystics die and be re-born in the Bay Area as a sister team to the Warriors. It would be a much better run franchise and be more financially stable.

Of course we'd have to have the 'new' team have a name that coincides with Warriors (like the old days when NBA and WNBA co-existed, Rockets/Comets, Kings/Monarchs, Pistons/Shock, Supersonics/Storm, Hornets/Sting etc)

The NBA's Golden State Warriors and The WNBA's Golden State Crusaders. I like it. Or Golden State Saviors.

The Mystics aren't leaving DC so you can take that dream of yours somewhere else. People should do some research of their own before listening to others and spouting off at the mouth. The Verizon Center isn't going to be knocked down. Monumental Sports & Entertainment operates two venues (Verizon Center and Eagle Bank Arena located on the George Mason University Campus) there's two options to move Mystics games because of overflow crowds if needed in the future.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/12/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

The Mystics aren't leaving DC so you can take that dream of yours somewhere else. People should do some research of their own before listening to others and spouting off at the mouth. The Verizon Center isn't going to be knocked down. Monumental Sports & Entertainment operates two venues (Verizon Center and Eagle Bank Arena located on the George Mason University Campus) there's two options to move Mystics games because of overflow crowds if needed in the future.

You have to admit that the plan to move the Styx into a WAY smaller arena and use the big arena for arena football is not a positive sign for the Styx. While it's good that they're finally acknowledging that attendance has been anemic at Styx games since the Sheila/Trudi days, the plan to move from the Phone Booth is not optimistic about the ability of this team to draw fans in the future.

Back in the day, this team drew politicos, highly place politicos who wanted to make a strongly feminist statement by attending. It can become the "it" place to go again as the political pendulum swings back. That's future thinking - optimistic thinking. That's opposite of the type of thinking going on at Monumental Sports and Entertainment.

Now that the team has a bona fide superstar, we'll see how that impacts plans for the future of this franchise. A lot of people who spent a lot of money attending games and got burned badly will need to see a sign that MSE is "all in" on this team or not. If they continue present trajectory, these people will not return and there might not be enough new fans to make up for it.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

They're not moving them anywhere. Not to another city. Not to another arena. They are contractually committed to have the Mystics play at the Wizards Practice Facility in SE Washington as compensation to the city for paying to build a practice facility for the Wizards.

I don't care how long the line is for tickets. And neither does Ted Leonsis.

BTW, besides his Capitals and Wizards, both of which are in their respective playoffs, I think he's more interested in Arena Football these days. Leonsis owns both the Washington Valor and the Baltimore Brigade AFL franchises beginning this season. It was particularly amusing when his two teams began their seasons last Friday by playing each other in his Verizon Center arena. Wonder who Ted was rooting for. Oh yeah . . . for his bank account. Confused

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

They're not moving them anywhere. Not to another city. Not to another arena. They are contractually committed to have the Mystics play at the Wizards Practice Facility in SE Washington as compensation to the city for paying to build a practice facility for the Wizards.

I don't care how long the line is for tickets. And neither does Ted Leonsis.

BTW, besides his Capitals and Wizards, both of which are in their respective playoffs, I think he's more interested in Arena Football these days. Leonsis owns both the Washington Valor and the Baltimore Brigade AFL franchises beginning this season. It was particularly amusing when his two teams began their seasons last Friday by playing each other in his Verizon Center arena. Wonder who Ted was rooting for. Oh yeah . . . for his bank account. Confused

If Ted and company continue to disrespect the Mystics, they will not last. It's a darn shame how he's destroyed a once wonderful franchise. He has just one goal: cha $$$ ching. He's never had any interest in promoting the Mystics.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

If Ted and company continue to disrespect the Mystics, they will not last. It's a darn shame how he's destroyed a once wonderful franchise. He has just one goal: cha $$$ ching. He's never had any interest in promoting the Mystics.

I don't think the Mystics make money or have ever been reported as making money. If so, he must be holding onto them for reasons other than making money.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I don't think the Mystics make money or have ever been reported as making money. If so, he must be holding onto them for reasons other than making money.

If he had not destroyed the franchise they could have made money. The Mystics are the afterthought he's trying to brush away. Don't know what else you call moving them from a premiere arena to a 4,500 capacity practice facility in a bad part of town. Just as the superstar finally arrives. There's rot at the top and it's stinking up any chance this team has to thrive. He must not have any granddaughters who play basketball.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/13/17 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
tfan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

If he had not destroyed the franchise they could have made money. The Mystics are the afterthought he's trying to brush away. Don't know what else you call moving them from a premiere arena to a 4,500 capacity practice facility in a bad part of town. Just as the superstar finally arrives. There's rot at the top and it's stinking up any chance this team has to thrive. He must not have any granddaughters who play basketball.

What's your qualifications that make you an expert about the streets and neighborhoods of Washington, DC ? Do you know what type of area surrounded the Verizon Center before it was built ? Do you know when the Verizon Center first open the area was knee deep in police coverage ? Do you honestly believe the Mayor of DC will not protect patrons to the new arena when it opens like it was done for the Verizon Center as when it first open ? You act like decent people don't live around the St Elizabeth Campus

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

What's your qualifications that make you an expert about the streets and neighborhoods of Washington, DC ? Do you know what type of area surrounded the Verizon Center before it was built ? Do you know when the Verizon Center first open the area was knee deep in police coverage ? Do you honestly believe the Mayor of DC will not protect patrons to the new arena when it opens like it was done for the Verizon Center as when it first open ? You act like decent people don't live around the St Elizabeth Campus

The suggestion that there is the remotest similarity between the Penn Quarter/Chinatown/Judiciary Square area circa 1997 and the St E's site today is just ridiculous propaganda. The Verizon Center when it opened was already surrounded by the federal and local police coverage necessitated by it being a block away from the DC Court complex, the federal Government Accountability Office (GAO - at the time still named the General Accounting Office), the National Portrait Gallery, and three blocks from the National Archives, Federal Trade Commission and other federal buildings lining Pennsylvania Avenue. Pennsylvania Avenue was then and has remained a major, busy thoroughfare, the pathway between the White House and Capital Hill. A block north of the Verizon Center was the well established and well patronized line of restaurants in Chinatown. In stunning contrast, the St. E's site is close to and surrounded by . . . . . oh yeah, nothing. And while a constant year round stream of 20,000 patron basketball games, hockey games, concerts, ice capades, and other events resulted in 7th St promptly filling in with new bars and restaurants, there simply will not be enough traffic at the St E's site to prompt that kind of entertainment development.

And if you believe the entire area is going to be swarming in police for every Mystics game, you must also believe the Mystics are going to go on a run of ten straight WNBA Championships. Yeah, I'm sure they'll "protect patrons" on opening night. But in July, you'll be on your own.

Certainly there are plenty of "decent people" who live around the St E's campus. They stay home at night and lock the doors.

Oh, and I've worked in and about DC for over forty years. Already back in 1974 I worked for a federal agency in a nice modern office building North of Pennsylvania Ave. less than two blocks from where the Verizon Center now sits. No, the area was not unsafe or in any minute respect similar to today's Alabama Avenue SE, and was never a wasteland. You really should stop pretending it was.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

If Ted and company continue to disrespect the Mystics, they will not last.

I expect them to last. I don't know what the penalties would be in his practice facility contract for shutting down the Mystics, but I suspect it's cheaper for him to just keep subsidizing them until the contract runs out in 19 years. I expect he did the math before he made the deal and concluded it was still cheaper than paying for his own Wizards facility.

Addendum - Leonsis's companies are only paying less than $4.5 million of the now estimated $65 million cost of the facility. The city and "Events DC" (a semi-governmental authority funded by the hotel tax) are paying the other $60 million and any cost overruns (design changes have already caused it to go up $10M since the deal was first signed). I seriously doubt that Leonsis's cost of subsidizing the Mystics is anything close to $3M/year. This was a steal, from his standpoint. Actually, the reality that the city was willing to make this deal simply underscores how undesirable the area is. The only way there was any meaningful development happening at the St E's site was if it was Government funded, either by things like the feds shipping off Coast Guard Headquarters to the other side of the complex (the Coast Guard not being politically strong enough to say "no way") or the city saying "if you'll put the Mystics there we'll pay over 90% of the cost".

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/13/17 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

The suggestion that there is the remotest similarity between the Penn Quarter/Chinatown/Judiciary Square area circa 1997 and the St E's site today is just ridiculous propaganda. The Verizon Center when it opened was already surrounded by the federal and local police coverage necessitated by it being a block away from the DC Court complex, the federal Government Accountability Office (GAO - at the time still named the General Accounting Office), the National Portrait Gallery, and three blocks from the National Archives, Federal Trade Commission and other federal buildings lining Pennsylvania Avenue. Pennsylvania Avenue was then and has remained a major, busy thoroughfare, the pathway between the White House and Capital Hill. A block north of the Verizon Center was the well established and well patronized line of restaurants in Chinatown. In stunning contrast, the St. E's site is close to and surrounded by . . . . . oh yeah, nothing. And while a constant year round stream of 20,000 patron basketball games, hockey games, concerts, ice capades, and other events resulted in 7th St promptly filling in with new bars and restaurants, there simply will not be enough traffic at the St E's site to prompt that kind of entertainment development.

And if you believe the entire area is going to be swarming in police for every Mystics game, you must also believe the Mystics are going to go on a run of ten straight WNBA Championships. Yeah, I'm sure they'll "protect patrons" on opening night. But in July, you'll be on your own.

Certainly there are plenty of "decent people" who live around the St E's campus. They stay home at night and lock the doors.

Oh, and I've worked in and about DC for over forty years. Already back in 1974 I worked for a federal agency in a nice modern office building North of Pennsylvania Ave. less than two blocks from where the Verizon Center now sits. No, the area was not unsafe or in any minute respect similar to today's Alabama Avenue SE, and was never a wasteland. You really should stop pretending it was.

DC is my hometown, I know about the Pre-Verizon Center area and the filth there before Abe decided to build the Verizon Center. I know what was sitting at the site before the Verizon Center, do you ?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

If Ted and company continue to disrespect the Mystics, they will not last.

I expect them to last. I don't know what the penalties would be in his practice facility contract for shutting down the Mystics, but I suspect it's cheaper for him to just keep subsidizing them until the contract runs out in 19 years. I expect he did the math before he made the deal and concluded it was still cheaper than paying for his own Wizards facility.

Addendum - Leonsis's companies are only paying less than $4.5 million of the now estimated $65 million cost of the facility. The city and "Events DC" (a semi-governmental authority funded by the hotel tax) are paying the other $60 million and any cost overruns (design changes have already caused it to go up $10M since the deal was first signed). I seriously doubt that Leonsis's cost of subsidizing the Mystics is anything close to $3M/year. This was a steal, from his standpoint. Actually, the reality that the city was willing to make this deal simply underscores how undesirable the area is. The only way there was any meaningful development happening at the St E's site was if it was Government funded, either by things like the feds shipping off Coast Guard Headquarters to the other side of the complex (the Coast Guard not being politically strong enough to say "no way") or the city saying "if you'll put the Mystics there we'll pay over 90% of the cost".

While this was a "steal" for Leonsis and WSE, they threw the Mystics and the WNBA under the bus. A professional team playing in a 4,500 seat practice facility? I hope this team wins it all and puts the spotlight on this "deal."

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/13/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

DC is my hometown, I know about the Pre-Verizon Center area and the filth there before Abe decided to build the Verizon Center. I know what was sitting at the site before the Verizon Center, do you ?

Let's see. There was a dry cleaning plant, and a Kung Fu school, some vacant properties, and some small businesses. As I said, I actually worked in that neighborhood. I frequently walked right by those blocks to Chinatown for lunch. It wasn't "filth".

I don't know from what distant pedestal you were viewing it to get your distorted view. But it obviously wasn't from up close.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DC did pretty good

Toliver/Latta
Hill/SWK/Cloud
TRP/Simms
EDD/Sanders/Hawkins
Messeman/K. Thomas

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/17 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

While this was a "steal" for Leonsis and WSE, they threw the Mystics and the WNBA under the bus. A professional team playing in a 4,500 seat practice facility? I hope this team wins it all and puts the spotlight on this "deal."

First, the arena size has been reduced to 4,200 seats from the original plan for 5,000.

Second, they're not actually playing in the practice facility. All part of one building, but the arena and practice facility are separate with sperate entrances.

And this is where it is being built

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/14/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

First, the arena size has been reduced to 4,200 seats from the original plan for 5,000.

Second, they're not actually playing in the practice facility. All part of one building, but the arena and practice facility are separate with sperate entrances.

And this is where it is being built

Omg that looks like a retirement home Embarassed

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
DC did pretty good

Toliver/Latta
Hill/SWK/Cloud
TRP/Simms
EDD/Sanders/Hawkins
Messeman/K. Thomas

Thanks for getting this back to the team. Not sure Simms makes the team over A.Taylor but the training camp will sort that out. And Cloud can back up 1,2 or 3 positions. As a back up, Cloud is an asset. As a starter she's a liability.

SWK might, at some point, earn the starting spot over TRP due to her scoring ability. However, TRP brings a LOT of intangibles, which includes rebounding. With tall starters who both have killer outside shots, getting rebounding from the SF spot is crucial.

~rAf
suemar

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im actually optimistic about this years team. God only knows it has been a VERY long time coming. Looking forward to coming back to DC for a couple games this year.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
DC did pretty good

Toliver/Latta
Hill/SWK/Cloud
TRP/Simms
EDD/Sanders/Hawkins
Messeman/K. Thomas

Thanks for getting this back to the team. Not sure Simms makes the team over A.Taylor but the training camp will sort that out. And Cloud can back up 1,2 or 3 positions. As a back up, Cloud is an asset. As a starter she's a liability.

SWK might, at some point, earn the starting spot over TRP due to her scoring ability. However, TRP brings a LOT of intangibles, which includes rebounding. With tall starters who both have killer outside shots, getting rebounding from the SF spot is crucial.

I forgot about Taylor who I think has a good chance to make the team as a blue collar 3/4 tweener. I was also thinking that maybe you could start Toliver, Hill, SWK, EDD and Meeseman and just see if you can outscore the other team by ten in the first quarter Golden State style, and then bring in your defenders Taylor, TRP, Cloud, K. Thomas to hold the lead later in the game.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/17 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't mean by my question for this to evolve into the same discussions about the merits of a new arena. I think we can all agree that a pro major league sports team moving from a 20,000 seat arena to a 4,200 seat arena is a bad thing. I was just wondering...with EDD, Toliver and a suddenly very, very talented offensive team, the Mystics are likely to do some winning. Between winning and having multiple players who might draw fans based on local interest, my thought just was are they legally obligated to play all their games in the small arena? Can they move at least a portion of them if they want to? It may take some time to rebuild the fan base, but a star player, local interests and winning have a chance to do that. If demand eventually results in 12,000-15,000 people wanting to attend games, which it might, does that alter the plan?

PostPosted: 04/15/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still astonished the W doesn't have bylaws specifying minimum venue size

PostPosted: 04/15/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I didn't mean by my question for this to evolve into the same discussions about the merits of a new arena. I think we can all agree that a pro major league sports team moving from a 20,000 seat arena to a 4,200 seat arena is a bad thing. I was just wondering...with EDD, Toliver and a suddenly very, very talented offensive team, the Mystics are likely to do some winning. Between winning and having multiple players who might draw fans based on local interest, my thought just was are they legally obligated to play all their games in the small arena? Can they move at least a portion of them if they want to? It may take some time to rebuild the fan base, but a star player, local interests and winning have a chance to do that. If demand eventually results in 12,000-15,000 people wanting to attend games, which it might, does that alter the plan?

I've been repeating and repeating myself throughout this particular message thread that Monumental Sports & Entertainment operates 2 arenas in the Washington DC area One is the Verizon Center and the other Eagle Bank Arena on the George Mason Campus in Fairfax VA.

I'm not directing this to you , there's a couple people who are posting in this thread who would be happy if a WNBA team didn't exist in Washington, DC.

Years ago I travel (via Amtrak to New London then onto a bus) with a group of Mystics Fans to a Mystics/Sun playoff game at the Mohegan Sun Arena, the Mystics loss but the atmosphere was great in a Small Arena. I believe whenever the Mystics do move over to their new arena it will be a tremendous home court advantage for the Mystics and the in game atmosphere will be great for Mystics Fans. Ted tried to get the Wizards Practice Facility/Mystics Arena built in the Historic Shaw Neighborhood but the local activist stop the plan.

There's so much regentrification happening in DC one probably won't recognize the area as it was before the opening of the Wizards Practice Facility /Mystics Arena.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/15/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I've been repeating and repeating myself throughout this particular message thread that Monumental Sports & Entertainment operates 2 arenas in the Washington DC area One is the Verizon Center and the other Eagle Bank Arena on the George Mason Campus in Fairfax VA.

I'm not directing this to you , there's a couple people who are posting in this thread who would be happy if a WNBA team didn't exist in Washington, DC.

Years ago I travel (via Amtrak to New London then onto a bus) with a group of Mystics Fans to a Mystics/Sun playoff game at the Mohegan Sun Arena, the Mystics loss but the atmosphere was great in a Small Arena. I believe whenever the Mystics do move over to their new arena it will be a tremendous home court advantage for the Mystics and the in game atmosphere will be great for Mystics Fans. Ted tried to get the Wizards Practice Facility/Mystics Arena built in the Historic Shaw Neighborhood but the local activist stop the plan.

There's so much regentrification happening in DC one probably won't recognize the area as it was before the opening of the Wizards Practice Facility /Mystics Arena.

An arena with 4,200 max fans = FAIL
An arena in Virginia = FAIL
An empty Phone Booth = FAIL

Hope I'm clear enough.

If this team cannot attract more than 4,200 people to big games, it is a MAJOR FAILURE which is directly due to Leonsis destroying local interest in this team. All the phony attendance figures when everyone knew the arena was close to empty was ridiculous. This move out of the phone booth is finally admitting they were reporting bogus numbers, but it is completely wrong for building up a franchise. On the other hand, it is the right move for completing the destruction of this franchise.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/15/17 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Yeah, you do keep repeating that, but there's no obvious reason why you keep repeating that.

I don't care if he manages 50 different arenas. He has agreed in his contract with the city that the Mystics will play their home games in the St E's arena for the entire 19 year term of the lease. The only out is that the Mystic's obligation continues "so long as the Mystics continue to be a member of the WNBA."

Do you not believe he signed a contract with the city agreeing that the Mystics would play all their games in the new arena? Maybe you can explain for us what the Eagle Bank Arena has to do with the discussion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: