Mercury
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Fever
64%
 64%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 31

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/16 11:28 pm    ::: Mercury @ Fever - 9/21/16 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Playoffs - First Round
Indianapolis, IN - 6:00 PM ET

TV: ESPNews

Stream:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index

Game info:
http://www.wnba.com/game/20160921/PHOIND/

ESPN Gamecast:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/gamecast?gameId=400910430

ESPN boxscore:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=400910430

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 09/19/16 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/19/16 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question is Which Mercury shows up...the Merc are such a self destructing team it's not even funny...but when on their game...watch out.

I think Catchings at home is a big issue and they have very good defenders...Griner has an edge over Indy's centers for sure but it comes down to if the backcourt can contain DT...Do so Indy wins...Think Indy is more motivated with Catchings and will come out blazing...same can't be said for the Jeckyl and Hyde Merc

Since adding Xargay the Merc have played better but still had a stretch of being unable to get out of their own way and I think that's gonna do em in in the end

Fever -2 almost a Pick Em simply because on paper the talent quotient of the merc is way higher than Indy...but you can say that about a LOT of teams when Indy is concerned...Home court and Catchings pull it out in a thriller

PostPosted: 09/19/16 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not confident in the slightest. But I do thin The Merc have looked better and they should come out like they care. But we'll see...

PostPosted: 09/19/16 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've been a mentally weak team this season. Too often a bad stretch of play will be fatal for us, whereas a tougher team would dig in, be patient, and work hard to claw its way back.
Everyone knows what these players are capable of considering the same core group was the best team in the league 2 years ago, but losing habits are hard to break.
As far as I'm concerned the playoffs are purely a character test for the Mercury. Ability is not an issue.

It's almost a lottery trying to predict which version of the Mercury is going to show up on any given night. I feel pretty safe predicting that the Fever are going to play their butts off for the whole game though, so the odds are in their favour IMO. Hopefully the occasion brings out the best in Phoenix and we get a good contest.

Interesting that both regular season games between these teams went to the away team and by considerable margins (14 & 18 pts)

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While everyone else is concerned about which Phoenix team will show up, I'm concerned which Indy team will show up. Very Happy We've been so up and down. Sunday was so emotional, I'm not sure if that will be added motivation...or too much added pressure.

We give up height, but we give up height to practically every team in the league and still ended up in the top half of 12. Griner has had issues with the physicality of our posts at times in the past. That's the key match up for me. Larkins is having issues with her foot, so that's worrying. And Griner has been playing better in the second half of the season. If they take it to Griner early and get Larkins in foul trouble, it's over.

As long as January stays out of foul trouble, I'm not too worried about Taurasi. Taurasi can always prove me wrong and play like it's 2014 again, but her head has been off so often this season.

This is also one of the few match ups I'm not concerned about a distracted Steph White being out coached.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It's almost a lottery trying to predict which version of the Mercury is going to show up on any given night.

Seeing that they ended up the #8 seed, "almost a lottery" is the perfect way to describe this team. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
While everyone else is concerned about which Phoenix team will show up, I'm concerned which Indy team will show up. Very Happy We've been so up and down. Sunday was so emotional, I'm not sure if that will be added motivation...or too much added pressure.

We give up height, but we give up height to practically every team in the league and still ended up in the top half of 12. Griner has had issues with the physicality of our posts at times in the past. That's the key match up for me. Larkins is having issues with her foot, so that's worrying. And Griner has been playing better in the second half of the season. If they take it to Griner early and get Larkins in foul trouble, it's over.

As long as January stays out of foul trouble, I'm not too worried about Taurasi. Taurasi can always prove me wrong and play like it's 2014 again, but her head has been off so often this season.

This is also one of the few match ups I'm not concerned about a distracted Steph White being out coached.

I look forward to the battle of feisty elbow-throwing guards.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/16 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why does the DirecTV guide list these games as 8 and 10 pm? (Actually they list Mercury @ Fever in both time slots.). (Orioles vs Red Sox and World Cup of Hockey on ESPN and ESPN2 at the same times.)

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/19/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Taurasi vs January matchup wil determine the outcome of this game. Can January get in Taurasi's head? If she does then Indy win.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
miller40

PostPosted: 09/19/16 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
The Taurasi vs January matchup wil determine the outcome of this game. Can January get in Taurasi's head? If she does then Indy win.

Taurasi had 32 points (without January playing) in a Fever victory earlier in the season.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Can January get in Taurasi's head?

She's been there before.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/19/16 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Phoenix start Xargay at PG? Does that change if January still guards her?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40

PostPosted: 09/19/16 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I don't see why anyone would put their best perimeter defender on Xargay... Wheeler can handle that match up.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Taylor's not really retired until after the playoffs

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PX should start their big line up with a scorer at every position (DT, Bonner, Penny, Dupree, Griner), it might be the best counter to Indy's defense.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/20/16 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Taylor's not really retired until after the playoffs

They have been letting Bonner come off the bench to provide some bench scoring and Martha at SG though.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/20/16 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
PX should start their big line up with a scorer at every position (DT, Bonner, Penny, Dupree, Griner), it might be the best counter to Indy's defense.

No. we've been playing much better with Marta starting.

PostPosted: 09/20/16 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever-related news in the Indy Star on the eve of the playoffs...

Analysis: New WNBA playoff format is a real head scratcher
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2016/09/19/analysis-new-wnba-playoff-format-real-head-scratcher/90686848/

Quote:
The WNBA took a good idea qualifying top teams for the playoffs, irrespective of conference, as some have urged for the NBA and made it bad.

Quote:
This format is supposed to build interest. But Wednesdays first-round games No. 8 Phoenix at No. 5 Fever (6 p.m.) and No. 7 Seattle at No. 6 Atlanta (8 p.m.) are televised on ESPNews. That network has about 70 million subscribers, compared with 90 million for ESPN and ESPN2, the leagues primary cable channels.

The format was decided upon before the February appointment of league President Lisa Borders. She credited colleagues with the changes, saying it would create more urgency.

It is the playoffs. How much more urgency is required?

People ask, What do I think? It doesnt matter what I think, Borders said. It matters what the players think. Theyre the ones who have to execute the playoff format that we have in place now.

She said players have embraced it. Hmm.

Quote:
Just because you get a lower seed being better one night doesnt mean theyre the better team, Fever wing Shenise Johnson said. Im not crazy about it. At the same time, the teams that are waiting, that could be a setup, too. Not playing for two weeks, that could backfire on you.

Quote:
Im not a huge fan of single-elimination games, White said. Its the pros, and you want a series.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/20/16 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kind of have to agree not a fan of the one and done or the long time off (even though it might help NY due to injuries). I would prefer rank 1-8 no conference and then do best of 3 until the finals.

Just imagine a first round featuring

Minny vs PX
LA vs Seattle

those two series would be an awesome start to the playoffs

Chi vs Indy
NY vs Atl

and those series would be pretty exciting as well

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/20/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no problem with the 1 and dones if they are hell bent on keeping the number of teams in the playoffs the same. As it is, extending the semis is a good thing (best of 5 is significantly superior to best of 3) and if they are going to do that then they need to trim other series due to thend logistical limitations the league faces.

And let's be honest, those bottom teams haven't exactly proven that they deserve a spot in the playoffs with their in season play. They are only in because the league takes an insane 75% of the teams into the playoffs. Seeds 3 and 4 get hosed a bit, bit at least they get a home game and it is only a single round of 1 and done for them.

At least this way were are more likely to get the best finals matchup possible, and that is what is best for a league at this stage (the finals is the event most apt to pull in casual or non-fan viewers).

Personally, I would be in favor of taking only the top 4 teams and having them play best of 7s. Though the disadvantage to this is that there would be a bunch of meaningless games at the end of the season.

PostPosted: 09/20/16 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
the league takes an insane 75% of the teams into the playoffs

Not sure I agree with you on your math there...

PostPosted: 09/20/16 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Yeah maths r hard.

66%. Still insane. Would have to take one more team to make it 75%.

Perhaps it would be more demonstrative to say that double the number of teams make the playoffs than don't.

PostPosted: 09/20/16 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Does 2/3 sound good?

bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/20/16 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2016/09/19/analysis-new-wnba-playoff-format-real-head-scratcher/90686848/

Quote:
The WNBA took a good idea qualifying top teams for the playoffs, irrespective of conference, as some have urged for the NBA and made it bad.

Quote:
This format is supposed to build interest. But Wednesdays first-round games No. 8 Phoenix at No. 5 Fever (6 p.m.) and No. 7 Seattle at No. 6 Atlanta (8 p.m.) are televised on ESPNews. That network has about 70 million subscribers, compared with 90 million for ESPN and ESPN2, the leagues primary cable channels.

The format was decided upon before the February appointment of league President Lisa Borders. She credited colleagues with the changes, saying it would create more urgency.

People ask, What do I think? It doesnt matter what I think, Borders said. It matters what the players think. Theyre the ones who have to execute the playoff format that we have in place now.

Quote:
Just because you get a lower seed being better one night doesnt mean theyre the better team, Fever wing Shenise Johnson said. Im not crazy about it. At the same time, the teams that are waiting, that could be a setup, too. Not playing for two weeks, that could backfire on you.

Quote:
Im not a huge fan of single-elimination games, White said. Its the pros, and you want a series.

Neith am I a fan of the single elimination games. These women are professionals and should have at least 3 games. The Merc and the Fever could give us a great 3 games. There should be 3 game series for seeds 5-8, then Then 5 game series for seeds 1-4. That would be better I think.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/16 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Neith am I a fan of the single elimination games. These women are professionals and should have at least 3 games. The Merc and the Fever could give us a great 3 games. There should be 3 game series for seeds 5-8, then Then 5 game series for seeds 1-4. That would be better I think.

Not enough time for all that. Don't want the playoffs running into November.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: