RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

San Antonio Stars 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus24

PostPosted: 01/31/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Mercury trade they have a shot at two really good players with the #1 and #5 so maybe giving up DRob will turn out to be worth it. I would assume VJ was OK with the trade or it wouldn't have happened. If they take a PG with the #! and can still get Coates or Jones at #5 they will be about as lucky as you can get

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/31/17 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can Harrison play at the PF spot?

Jefferson
McBride/Colson
Currie/Gwathmay(sp)/Montgomery
Hamby/N'Dour
Alexander/Harrison

It depends on who declares but their two picks allow them to go in a lot of different directions.

#1 (Plum, Coates, Deshields, Mitchell)

#5 (B. Jones, A. Jones, SWK, Russell)

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/31/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I think she'd better suited there than the 5 tbh

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/31/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson
McBride/Colson
Hamby/N'Dour
Alexander/Harrison

It depends on who declares but their two picks allow them to go in a lot of different directions.

Quit throwing Tennessee players into the mix , people have made the forgone conclusion that these gals are going to go pro early but nothing of a zip has been declared by anyone . This draft becomes even weaker if they all stay . Then Who do you got SAN Taking ? I see the Coates & A. Jones combo being a strong one . Although Plum & Jones would definitely win a game of 2 on 2 .

PostPosted: 01/31/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson
McBride/Colson
Hamby/N'Dour
Alexander/Harrison

Quit throwing Tennessee players into the mix , people have made the forgone conclusion that these gals are going to go pro early but nothing of a zip has been declared by anyone . This draft becomes even weaker if they all stay . Then Who do you got SAN Taking ? I see the Coates & A. Jones combo being a strong one . Although Plum & Jones would definitely win a game of 2 on 2 .

If Everyone stays I would take Plum at #1 and hope B. Jones lasts until #5, if not maybe Coffey? Or look to trade for post. Would Conn want a first round pick bad enough to do Little for #5?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/31/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Jefferson
McBride/Colson
Hamby/N'Dour
Alexander/Harrison

If Everyone stays I would take Plum at #1 and hope B. Jones lasts until #5, if not maybe Coffey? Or look to trade for post. Would Conn want a first round pick bad enough to do Little for #5?

Would you draft Plum #1 to back up McBride?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/31/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby should not be a starter.[period] If she is a starter, this team might as well plan ahead for lottery 2018. Maybe they should anyway. But hopefully Harrison can start there.

At this point Plum is the clear #1. You take best player at #1. Maybe you start her, MoJeff and McBride and bring MoCurrie off the bench. There will be plenty of minutes for all of them. Is McBride back from her injury? Playing overseas?

If neither Coates nor B. Jones are available at 5, I'd be inclined to take Nia Coffey and hope for the best. But I'm guessing one of the bigs will be there. Knight and Gwathmey are excess baggage and can easily go.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/31/17 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK if she would like this role but I might experiment with starting Jefferson, Plum and Currie, and bring McBride off the bench basically getting starter minutes backing up all three spots. Plum can slide to the one when Jefferson goes out, with McBride at the 2, McBride can cover Plum at the 2, and when Currie goes out play small ball with McBride at the 3. Pretty much the same role Perkins had when Hammon and Robinson would start. If it doesn't work just bring Plum off the bench at the 1 and the 2 to start.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/01/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
IDK if she would like this role but I might experiment with starting Jefferson, Plum and Currie, and bring McBride off the bench basically getting starter minutes backing up all three spots. Plum can slide to the one when Jefferson goes out, with McBride at the 2, McBride can cover Plum at the 2, and when Currie goes out play small ball with McBride at the 3. Pretty much the same role Perkins had when Hammon and Robinson would start. If it doesn't work just bring Plum off the bench at the 1 and the 2 to start.

I dont know if that would be effective , McBride is there best Offensive player with or without plum . Maybe The Plum Off the bench to start the season would be a better idea . She will have to adjust to the transition of the play in the W so she wont be as advanced as she is versus the talent in College.

PostPosted: 02/01/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Wow, disrespecting McBride in favor of someone who hasn't played a minute in the WNBA? I can't see that.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/01/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#5 pick for Dolson makes some sense.

UK1996

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson is worth more than the 5th pick. A more realistic trade is Dolson and #9 for Hamby and #5. On a side note does anyone think SA will bring back Baugh?

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Dolson to Chicago for the Delle Donne trade, then possibly traded to San Antonio for ???

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
#5 pick for Dolson makes some sense.

Dolson is worth more then that

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

de Souza signed by San Antonio

http://stars.wnba.com/news/stars-sign-erika-de-souza/

Quote:
“Erika gives us size and experience in the post,” said Stars General Manager Ruth Riley. “She is a proven All-Star in our league and we are incredibly excited to have her join us in San Antonio.”

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
“Erika gives us size and experience in the post,” said Stars General Manager Ruth Riley. “She is a proven All-Star in our league and we are incredibly excited to have her join us in San Antonio.”

So Much for the dolson thoughts

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insurance to help Harrison. I don't think Ndour is returning.

PG: Jefferson/Colson
SG: McBride/Plum
SF: Currie/Montgomery/Gwathmay
PF: Hamby/Peters
C: Alexanders/Harrison/deSouza

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming no players (DeShields, Greenwell, Mitchell, Brown, Russell, etc.), leave early, here are my thoughts...

San Antonio needs offense. The team only averaged 72.0 ppg last year (in part due to McBride's injury, but also because of a lack of offensively talented players). Not only was SAS' scoring last in the WNBA, it was by a mile...the 11th place team in offense, Indiana, scored 80.5 ppg. Coupled with that, San Antonio was 10th in the league in assists last year. And SAS was also near the bottom in FG% and 3ptFG%

The team needs:
1) a guard/wing who can create her own shot, but also be a secondary distributor and also defend;
2) a post presence who can score, defend, and be physical on the glass;
3) time to develop its core going forward (Jefferson, McBride, Hamby); and
4) depth.

1) For the guard/wing position, I am going with Baylor's Alexis Jones. First, she is a combo guard who can be a primary playmaker at an elite level. Second, she knows the perfect balance of scoring and distributing - this year, she is averaging 15.8 ppg and 4.93 apg, while shooting 43.2 percent from the floor and 45.7 percent from three (and making nearly 3 three-point shots per game). Her A/TO is over 2:1. In addition, she is an elite athlete and very good defender.

Also, Jones proved at Duke that she can be a secondary playmaker while playing next to a great point guard/distributor, like she did with Chelsea Gray. She will have that in Moriah Jefferson in San Antonio.

This allows McBride to move to the three. She is a tad undersized for the position at 5-11, but it will benefit her game tremendously. Having to be a #1 or #2 option in San Antonio, without much help, proved difficult last year for her (pre-injury), in terms of constantly having the focus of the opposition's best defender. But having Jefferson/A. Jones/McBride together means there is offensive firepower from all over the floor. Having another perimeter threat will definitely balance out the offense and help her get more open looks, instead of having to create as much as she did.

2) For the post presence, I am going with Maryland's Brionna Jones. First, she is incredibly efficient offensively, averaging 19.4 points on 69.2 percent shooting. She is also shooting over 73 percent from the line, which is quite good for a post player. And she has only turned the ball over 25 times (22 games) all season.

Since Maryland does not play the toughest schedule, I looked at her games against ranked opponents the past two years. Her numbers are remarkable...and UConn fans know how tough she is from last year, putting up 24 points (12-14 shooting) and 7 rebounds against a frontcourt that featured Stewart and Tuck.

And with a lineup of Jefferson, McBride, and (hopefully) A. Jones, she would be the perfect complement because she is not only incredibly efficient offensively and can own the glass defensively, she does not need the ball in her hands to have an impact.

At 6-3, she might be a tad undersized, but she has proven that she can play with bigger players and still be a force.

So the lineup would look like this:

PG: Jefferson
SG/PG: A. Jones
G/W: McBride
F: Hamby
P: B. Jones

All five starters will be under 25 years of age. This is a nice core to have to build for the future.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/01/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:

"The Oh Riley Factor" strikes again!

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/01/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

"The Oh Riley Factor" strikes again!

This is a great signing even though de Souza isn't what she used to be. I'd start her and have Harrison come off the bench. She gives mucho veteran experience in a young starting lineup (aside from Currie). Chicago didn't need de Souza anymore with Dolson and Boyette. Sure looks like Riley is shaping up a pretty good roster. Better than that inept Dan Hughes ever did.

Angus24

PostPosted: 02/01/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signing deSouza is a big plus I guess but I hope they can get either Coates or Jones as their center for the future of this very young team. SAS is looking like a playoff team this season if VJ can get all the parts working together quickly enough.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/01/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

De Souza is coming off of two pretty bad years in Chicago and will be 35 when the season starts. I guess I see why SAS signed her, but I can't imagine she'll do any real good on the team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/01/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Signing deSouza is a big plus I guess but I hope they can get either Coates or Jones as their center for the future of this very young team. SAS is looking like a playoff team this season if VJ can get all the parts working together quickly enough.

With the declines in the teams like Chi , Indy & ATL . The Stars just might be a playoff team along with the Styx .

PostPosted: 02/01/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Signing de Souza is a (hopefully cheap) insurance policy/mentor. I see them drafting a big at #5.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/01/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
De Souza is coming off of two pretty bad years in Chicago and will be 35 when the season starts. I guess I see why SAS signed her, but I can't imagine she'll do any real good on the team.

It's always hard to know if the bad years in Chicago were all her fault or (at least partially) the fault of that particular system. I agree with Shades that it's a good insurance move.

I could see them taking Plum and then whichever of the bigs is left at #5.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: