RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

San Antonio Stars 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 09/18/16 3:35 pm    ::: San Antonio Stars 2017 Reply Reply with quote

A lot of youth on this team, plus the likely #1 overall pick. The big question is do they keep Robinson or trade her for a center? Robinson for Lavender?

PG: Jefferson/Colson
SG: McBride/#1 draft pick
SF: Currie/Peters/Montgomery
PF: Ndour/Hamby/Baugh
C: traded center/Alexander

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/19/16 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm in the camp that SA could trade either D-Rob or the #1 pick. Jefferson and D-Rob seem similar and Jefferson is clearly the future, and since SA might not be going anywhere next season why not get your new star PG as many minutes as possible. IF SA wants to take a bigger leap forward trading the #1 (or high lottery pick if the balls don't fall there way) for a more established player seems very possible as well. Or even trying to combine both assets for a star player. I do think a new GM will want to make a bold move if the opportunity presents itself.

With that said, if nothing works out bringing back a healthy D-Rob and a new #1 (hopefully) draft pick will still move the needle forward on the Stars talent level. Who knows? maybe someone in this draft class takes a huge leap forward, or another star player declares early for the draft.

So things are looking up for SA, and they have some assets to make the off season discussion interesting. My big question would be what star or up and coming players would be available in a trade for SA assets?

My short list of ideas that have come up in other threads

I'm seeing the #1 pick in these equations as Deshields but it could be someone else too

#1 for Dolson and #4
#1 for A. Thomas and C. Little
#1 for C. Gray and #2 or #3 (which ever one lands in LA)
#1 for Achonwa and #8
#1 for Bonner and Bone
I realize people will think some if not most of these are nuts but usually you have to pay a decent price to get a #1 pick even in a weak draft and Deshields or someone else could declare early or turn into an obvious star over the next college season

D-Rob for Sims
D-Rob and #13 for Bone and #5
D-Rob for #4 or
D-Rob for Vaughn
D-Rob and #13 for S. Rodgers (doesn't mean I like it thinking from SA's POV here)

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/19/16 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A healthy D Rob for Langhorne and the Storms draft pick

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/19/16 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say trading with Indiana or Washington makes most sense. I would give up the #1 pick for Achonwa and #8. You could also trade DRob somewhere too, which would give you another chance to add someone that's young but more established.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can tell it's a weak #1 if talk of trading that #1 is like it's going to be a given. Trading the #1 isn't unthinkable this year. The last time a #1 was traded was in 2007 when the Lynx were desperate for a big name PG.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/19/16 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You can tell it's a weak #1 if talk of trading that #1 is like it's going to be a given. Trading the #1 isn't unthinkable this year. The last time a #1 was traded was in 2007 when the Lynx were desperate for a big name PG.

I presume you mean a #1 that was known to be a #1 overall at the time of the trade? There's a certain 2010 set of trades that comes to mind otherwise.

(now with spelling variations)
Angus24

PostPosted: 09/29/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017 is probably another rebuilding year for SAS but if DRob and McBride both come back at the top of their games SAS may be very good. The other big question mark in my mind is who will the new coach be? If its an outsider that probably means a new system which will take a while to become productive. SAS desperately needs a replacement for Young that can put up some big numbers and rebound. I could see SAS trading their #1 pick in the draft with one of their less important players to get a top notch PF.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/29/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
2017 is probably another rebuilding year for SAS but if DRob and McBride both come back at the top of their games SAS may be very good. The other big question mark in my mind is who will the new coach be? If its an outsider that probably means a new system which will take a while to become productive. SAS desperately needs a replacement for Young that can put up some big numbers and rebound. I could see SAS trading their #1 pick in the draft with one of their less important players to get a top notch PF.

If you want a truly decent PF, I'm guessing you'd have a give up your first rounder in 2018 as just part of the deal. If that's the case, you might as well sit tight, because #1 in 2018 is like plantinum, #2 is gold, and #3 is still silver. Maybe not quite as good as Three to See, but getting up there, and if nobody declares for 2017, it should be deep too.

But maybe you could lure NYL into some kind of trade since some of their fans seem to think they need DRob to take the next step.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 10/28/16 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They ran some commercial that had a lot of athletes in it during the World Series. Probably Nike. I think it was all male athletes except for Moriah Jefferson.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
They ran some commercial that had a lot of athletes in it during the World Series. Probably Nike. I think it was all male athletes except for Moriah Jefferson.

Jefferson is with Adidas. So I'm guessing it's them.

PostPosted: 10/29/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
tfan wrote:

Jefferson is with Adidas. So I'm guessing it's them.

you're right

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejDpAOyFnoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/29/16 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan with the Morgan Yaeger avatar Smile I was not expecting to see that here.
[/OT]

PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
tfan with the Morgan Yaeger avatar Smile I was not expecting to see that here.
[/OT]

Womens Basketball Daily had a link to an article on the top 5 (of over 20) Australian freshman making their NCAA debuts this season.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/29/16 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm in the camp that SA could trade either D-Rob or the #1 pick. Jefferson and D-Rob seem similar and Jefferson is clearly the future

BITEYOURTONGUE!~ Razz

No trading D-Rob!! Yeah, I know....MoJeff and D-Rob are maybe too similar, but I'd love to see them play TOGETHER. For at least a season. Nobody has a backcourt with that level of jets going. Laughing

Of course, SOMEbody might have to be The Bargaining Chip for offseason trades (I'm still half torqued they let Jia go), and everybody knows SA is desperate for some kind of star post power, but I still think Roadrunner #1 and Roadrunner #2 would be high entertainment value. Cool

PS--does anybody know, is D-Rob fully recovered and back to playing now?

PostPosted: 10/30/16 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was watching a tape the other day of a game from a couple years ago and watching DRob as SAS PG it was clear to me that she has skills that MoJeff doesn't have and she is bigger and stronger and better defender. She doesn't have the 3 point shot but is very good from mid-range. I think they could function together very nicely with MoJeff as the shooting guard. I really can't see any team giving up a top notch PF unless they have 2 of them and I don't know of any team that does. That said, I would think SAS better take the best post player available in the draft.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 11/20/16 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruth Riley talked during the halftime of the Washington/Notre Dame game and stated that Kayla was progressing along well with her rehab and that they have no time table for hiring a head coach.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/20/16 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
they have no time table for hiring a head coach.

Oh, that's brilliant. I hope the timetable would have the coach installed before the start of the 2017 off-season in January.

Might she want to do the job herself?

Vickie Johnson must not be the obvious choice.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/23/16 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stars GM Ruth Riley: A Global Hire Raised on an Indiana Farm

https://therivardreport.com/stars-gm-ruth-riley-a-global-hire-raised-on-an-indiana-farm/

Quote:
In graduate school at Notre Dame, Ruth wasn’t thinking about returning to the WNBA, where she had won two championships, twice been named Finals MVP, earned an All-Star berth, and served as vice president of the league player’s union. No, Ruth was thinking of how she could change the world.

“I was looking,” she said, “at global humanitarian work.”

PostPosted: 12/23/16 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stars GM Ruth Riley: A Global Hire Raised on an Indiana Farm

https://therivardreport.com/stars-gm-ruth-riley-a-global-hire-raised-on-an-indiana-farm/

Quote:
In graduate school at Notre Dame, Ruth wasn’t thinking about returning to the WNBA, where she had won two championships, twice been named Finals MVP, earned an All-Star berth, and served as vice president of the league player’s union. No, Ruth was thinking of how she could change the world.

“I was looking,” she said, “at global humanitarian work.”

A very nice story on Ruth Riley and one not just women should listen too but everyone should read about her.

Angus24

PostPosted: 12/23/16 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If McBride and DRob return at full strength I hope Alexander, Hamby, and Peters step up their games this season If that happens and SAS gets a good post in the draft I think they will be a lot better than people on this board think. I would bet that SAS will not trade DRob.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
If McBride and DRob return at full strength I hope Alexander, Hamby, and Peters step up their games this season If that happens and SAS gets a good post in the draft I think they will be a lot better than people on this board think. I would bet that SAS will not trade DRob.

Any chance DRob demands out? She'd have to be cored if she's not under contract. No longer a starter after 6 years, or are they going to start both DRob and Jefferson?

Angus24

PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing story about Ruth. I bet she will bring SAS a championship before she may move on to even bigger things.

stever

PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When is Hamby's due date...not sure if much can be expected of her next summer...?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
When is Hamby's due date...not sure if much can be expected of her next summer...?

She's due in six weeks

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: