71%
 71%  [ 59 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 83

toad455

PostPosted: 06/18/17 9:44 pm    ::: Kelsey Plum Reply Reply with quote

11 games in, is she a bust? Or is she still not 100%? Or would she be better on a different team?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sigur3

PostPosted: 06/18/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No
Yes
Yes

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/18/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she's a rookie point guard coming into a system unlike anything she's ever played in before. Most point guards need at least 3 seasons to acclimate to the WNBA.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/19/17 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give her to the Storm and then we will see how much of a bust see is Laughing Idea

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/19/17 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle's first round pick in 18 for Plum.

I know it is a big risk for Seattle Plum is struggling ATM but Plum being mentored by Bird would be the perfect situation for her, eventually becoming the future PG of the Storm. If she isn't a bust and her shot starts falling Plum is a great compliment to the young core of Loyd and Stewart. Seattle is one of the more popular teams in the league and Plum could even increase their box office. 2018 is deep but Seattle is probably going to be in the top 5 this year so the pick is 8-12 there will be some good player still available even if the likes of Collier and Stevens don't declare but if Seattle thinks Plum is still far from her potential than maybe they roll the dice. They've been looking for the heir apparent to Bird for a while and until she got to SA Plum was looking like the player they have been waiting for. And if worst came to worst and the move blew up in the Storms face they still have a great duo and a good team that could attract free agents for their Championship push that is probably coming in the next few seasons. One wasted draft pick won't derail them too much.

It might be dangerous for SA to move on so quickly form a #1 pick that might even be hurt, (the last thing SA would need is to have Plum coming to SA in 2019 with Loyd and Stewart and be killing it as a integral part of one of the top teams in the league) but a second first round pick even in the late half of a deep draft to pair ideally with their #1 pick could be a good move (Imagine they have #1 and #8 and add say Wilson and Nurse or Wilson and Billings, or Wilson and Nared, or Wilson and Russell, or Wilson and L. Brown or Vivians. Wouldn't that be a more well balance team that what they have now?) If not they need to figure out some way to make the Jefferson, Plum and McBride combo work which probably still entails trading someone down the road.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/19/17 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will trade you a cup of water for ten gold coins.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum for Clark & 18' 1st rounder

PostPosted: 06/19/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted "too soon to tell" because I think she's playing hurt.

BoredyMcbored

PostPosted: 06/19/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

But Lysh is super important to their team IMO. She's a great defender that can create her shot in the post and will always hustle. She does the dirty work for their team. I think that she's the type of player Seattle will need for a deep playoff run and if they want to win a championship.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She should have gone to a college where she would have learned how to actually play the PG position and how to defend, i.e.,Saniya Chong. Plum is definitely not WNBA ready but she may become so, i.e., Becky Hammon.

Although, VJ is starting Plum to give her the best experience she can give her, there's no way she's anywhere near Jefferson - but she's getting the opportunity to learn and grow.

My hat's off to VJ and Moriah for working together in trying to get Plum ready.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/19/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BoredyMcbored wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

But Lysh is super important to their team IMO. She's a great defender that can create her shot in the post and will always hustle. She does the dirty work for their team. I think that she's the type of player Seattle will need for a deep playoff run and if they want to win a championship.

Would it be more beneficial with the position she plays that she Creates her shot in the post or learn how to create her shot off the dribble ? Ijs Embarassed

PostPosted: 06/19/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
BoredyMcbored wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Would it be more beneficial with the position she plays that she Creates her shot in the post or learn how to create her shot off the dribble ? Ijs Embarassed

Lmao I mean, you're not wrong.

But considering all that she does for the team, she's a keeper. A swiss army knife and their best defender. I'd honestly be more willing to get rid of Lang than Lysh. Her skill set is more replaceable.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm always amazed at how quick some fans are to declare someone "a bust." She's played all of 11 WNBA games. Do we need to list lots of examples of players that took time to develop?

Could Kelsey Plum prove to be a bust? Of course. But I find the posing of this question so soon--whether for Plum or any other player--to be useless.

PostPosted: 06/19/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Seattle's first round pick in 18 for Plum.

I know it is a big risk for Seattle Plum is struggling ATM but Plum being mentored by Bird would be the perfect situation for her, eventually becoming the future PG of the Storm. If she isn't a bust and her shot starts falling Plum is a great compliment to the young core of Loyd and Stewart. Seattle is one of the more popular teams in the league and Plum could even increase their box office. 2018 is deep but Seattle is probably going to be in the top 5 this year so the pick is 8-12 there will be some good player still available even if the likes of Collier and Stevens don't declare but if Seattle thinks Plum is still far from her potential than maybe they roll the dice. They've been looking for the heir apparent to Bird for a while and until she got to SA Plum was looking like the player they have been waiting for. And if worst came to worst and the move blew up in the Storms face they still have a great duo and a good team that could attract free agents for their Championship push that is probably coming in the next few seasons. One wasted draft pick won't derail them too much.

It might be dangerous for SA to move on so quickly form a #1 pick that might even be hurt, (the last thing SA would need is to have Plum coming to SA in 2019 with Loyd and Stewart and be killing it as a integral part of one of the top teams in the league) but a second first round pick even in the late half of a deep draft to pair ideally with their #1 pick could be a good move (Imagine they have #1 and #8 and add say Wilson and Nurse or Wilson and Billings, or Wilson and Nared, or Wilson and Russell, or Wilson and L. Brown or Vivians. Wouldn't that be a more well balance team that what they have now?) If not they need to figure out some way to make the Jefferson, Plum and McBride combo work which probably still entails trading someone down the road.

A combo of Wilson and Billings would be pretty nice, or draft the top SF Deshields wit the #1 pick and Billings. Billings is 6'4 super athletic like Gabby Williams.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/19/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who would ever consider a 5'7" non-true point guard a bust? Wink Lady Plum works hard and for whatever reason, players can be short and lazy on defense (ala Schimmel & Kaleena) and be super effective in college, but the WNBA is way too good for that. Will Kelsey Mitchell get the hype when she breaks the all time scoring record next season? She's the opposite of what the WNBA loves to market, she ain't your 'All-American' girl if you get what I mean..oops did I say that Rolling Eyes

sigur3

PostPosted: 06/19/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Could Kelsey Plum prove to be a bust? Of course. But I find the posing of this question so soon--whether for Plum or any other player--to be useless.

+1000000000

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/19/17 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandersloot is listed at 5'8 and so is Plum. But on a picture of them standing next to each other you can clearly see that Plum is taller..

https://www.google.nl/search?q=kelsey+plum+and+vandersloot&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi369Lm7srUAhUJb1AKHWdsCV0Q_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=zl4iKYWRpr3OWM:

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/19/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Vandersloot is listed at 5'8 and so is Plum. But on a picture of them standing next to each other you can clearly see that Plum is taller..

https://www.google.nl/search?q=kelsey+plum+and+vandersloot&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi369Lm7srUAhUJb1AKHWdsCV0Q_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=zl4iKYWRpr3OWM:

How does that picture tell you that? Vandersloot is slouching to the side while Plum is standing straight up. I am always dubious of this kind of height investigation, but if anything that picture shows that Vandersloot is taller.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/19/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys still haven't learned how to post a picture?

Plum has bigger feet and thicker limbs.

If Plum works as hard as Sloot or Diggins did after their disappointing rookie seasons, she should be alright. She seems resilient and a hard worker. Seattle should work out a deal for her before Bird retires. Bird would be a good mentor for Plum. Peterson is not the future.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 06/19/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

And Vandersloot looks the same height or taller than the 5'9" Pondexter:

and the 5'9" Prince:

So Plum is 5'10". Although she did look noticeably smaller than the 5'10" listed Sami Whitcomb. Which means that Whitcomb is at least 6 feet tall. Very Happy

They really should have official measurements of reach and wingspan (height can be misleading) so we can accurately compare sizes. It looks like when someone is short for their position that their height can be boosted an extra inch or two You would think that the WNBA would want to have accurate measurements so GMs aren't thinking that Zahui B. is actually 6'4" (listed 6'5")

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 06/20/17 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
I voted "too soon to tell" because I think she's playing hurt.

She is. She is not yet fully recovered from the high ankle sprain sustained during preseason.

After Sunday's game, Elise Woodward asked her about playing on the injury/playing in pain--and Woodward told the crowd about how Plum played most of her sophomore year at UW with a serious knee injury (a torn meniscus that she put off surgery for until the offseason).

Plum didn't go into details about her current injury. She said, "Healthy or not healthy, it is a difficult transition," and "I trust the San Antonio team doctors."

tfan wrote:
So Plum is 5'10". Although she did look noticeably smaller than the 5'10" listed Sami Whitcomb. Which means that Whitcomb is at least 6 feet tall. Very Happy

LOL UW had Plum listed at 5'9" when she was a freshman. The next year she admitted to being closer to 5'7", and UW "settled on" listing her at 5'8".

I think the listed player heights are mostly relative. Aren't most players, especially the guards, fudging an inch or two?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont want to be the Lady Plum killer but how long will this injury be the reason for her less than stellar rookie season ? If its that bad then maybe she should just shut it down ? After ASG break will this still be a factor if she continues to struggle ? Ijs Embarassed

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I dont want to be the Lady Plum killer but how long will this injury be the reason for her less than stellar rookie season ? If its that bad then maybe she should just shut it down ? After ASG break will this still be a factor if she continues to struggle ? Ijs Embarassed

Why is it such a big problem. SHe is helping them get the number 1 pick in next years draft. This team wasnt going anywhere anyway..
So just play your number 1 pick and help her get comfortable for next season. But it might be a good start your other best players aswell. They should just play Jefferson, Plum, McBride together

toad455

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle does need to start thinking about who'll replace Bird in the next few years. Why not make a move to bring in Plum? Unless the Storm want to transition Loyd into a PG?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40

PostPosted: 06/21/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I tend to agreee. If they aren't winning any games with their #1 pick playing, and if this injury is so bad, shut her down and get her healthy and not risk further (or long term) damage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: