RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:48 am    ::: New York Liberty 2017 Reply Reply with quote

Was hoping we wouldn't need this so soon but have at it. As I said in the 2016 thread, I think a Karima Christmas type of player could help NY.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:37 pm    ::: Re: New York Liberty 2017 Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Was hoping we wouldn't need this so soon but have at it. As I said in the 2016 thread, I think a Karima Christmas type of player could help NY.

THREE IS THE MAGIC NUMBER...in my opinion we relied too much on a washed up Cash and defensive 2 guards.

Christmas is a very good idea...I think either thru trade or Free agency the team needs to sign a 3 the fact that Allen was not used AT ALL last night confirms that she's not defensively ready to step up and be the starting 3

Can't kid ourselves one more second that we can plug and play wright and or zellous (even if we keep both of them.) at 3 and have that be a long term soloution. We ignored 3 last year in fact kidded ourselves so bad about 2s at the 3 we waived cash for 3 games for cap purposes. I think in the end, the constant reminders that this team was vaurnable to the wheel for the open 3...time in and time out someone caught chasing to where even lower level players were putting up big time numbers from 3 point land tells you you need an effective 3 more than any type of Zeke blockbuster for a second star (Prince 1 with Rodgers at 2 I think solves that issue)

Fortunately I think this will be a robust trade market...poor draft and lots of teams looking to move up I think will mean there will be deals.

Biggest FA is Rodgers, a restricted which means it's either sign to max or trade in reality (You can decline a match but that's normally a bad idea especially for someone developing as much as Sugar)...Would NOT trade unless it's a blockbuster for a 3 or someone HUGE and I don't see B happening unless there's a holdout (Only one I see is Lavander and we already are set at center even if we trade one of them to sure up 3) Basically unless it's something insane that happens (like one of the top 5 players in the league holds out for an exclusive trade) or A. Thomas or Bonner level 3s I keep Rodgers on this club...Period

Which means what to do with Wright, Boyd and Zellous.

I'd keep Boyd...I believe in NEVER giving up on a player entering year 3...she showed a lot at the end of the regular season...We'll see what she does this off season. I think Boyd can be a big part of this team and it's Silly to throw her under the bus, she gets steals and plays good aggressive defense...she improves offensively she could be an X factor off the bench, you don't dump that for Danielle Robinson coming off massive surgery, that's losing Knick old names over making youth INTO names mentality...that's as stern as ill say it.

Now wright or Zellous: Between the cap and keeping Rogers I'd try to move one of those 2...not sure Wright may be a UFA and that makes it a fete acompli but if not I['d try to move her and make Prince the 1...I don't think putting Rodgers to the bench is the right move.

The good news is we don't need much...I think our youth will develop and with major injury woes all year we still won 21 games...that's a lot...But we need a durable 3 to play our defense...that's priority 1 and that's what Bernert and Co need to look at.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree on Christmas -- The thought crossed my mind as I watched her destroy us a couple of weeks ago. Laughing Don't know about her contract status. As a RFA, she had to get at least two years from Tulsa/Dallas, which would end this season. Christmas chose to sign with Tulsa for a second stint after they traded her, so she seemingly liked that organization. Not sure if the move to Dallas changed anything.

But before we throw out the baby with the bath water, here are the Liberty regular season stats with a conversion to 30 mpg so that we can compare relative performance. Obviously, there is no guarantee that projection of small samples can work out in reality, but it's something to think about. Overall, the Liberty bench players performed pretty well:

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/25/16 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's also important to look at Boyd's season as two halves -- the first 14 games versus the second 19. If you take her second 19 games and project that out to 30 minutes (from 23), then you get 10 ppg and 5.6 assists on an ATO of 2.0. That's pretty darn good, folks. And then we know how she can pressure the ball on the defensive end. Brittany's challenge is finding that emotional middle ground. If she's too controlled like she was at the beginning of the season, then she isn't productive. On the other hand, if she plays with too much emotion, then she's mistake prone. Will she ever find that emotional balance on a consistent level? Given that she seems to really care, I'm betting "yes".

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/25/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I agree on Christmas -- The thought crossed my mind as I watched her destroy us a couple of weeks ago. Laughing Don't know about her contract status. As a RFA, she had to get at least two years from Tulsa/Dallas, which would end this season. Christmas chose to sign with Tulsa for a second stint after they traded her, so she seemingly liked that organization. Not sure if the move to Dallas changed anything.

But before we throw out the baby with the bath water, here are the Liberty regular season stats with a conversion to 30 mpg so that we can compare relative performance. Obviously, there is no guarantee that projection of small samples can work out in reality, but it's something to think about. Overall, the Liberty bench players performed pretty well:

Exactly why I say while moves need to be made...they need to be calculated. This is a good bench with good supporting players...with Prince returning full strength and already has shown signs of the old Prince in the last 2 games so we'll see how she goes.

3 needs to be above anyone else. Christmas is a good idea as I think Dallas' plans are for Ariel Powers which if they solve their knucklehead problem can be a very good part to a future contender. Dunno who they'd want in return...they need a center and give up the Cambage pipe dream but I'm not sure I give em Swords for Christmas (not even on New Years or Valentines day)

I've mentioned Clark for Swords, yes that's a big trade but in the Seattle trade I explained why that may work for both teams and well Seattle needs a true center as much as we need a true 3...I'm more leery of O hea...but could be a good stopgap IF you think you can develop Allen defensively...that said with Austrailia's NT issues I'd rather not have the potential headache in the future of having both horses at 3 from a country known to be flighty in making it's NT players available. That said it's a good cheaper alternative

I think our tradable players with value would be wright and Swords (especially with her hot finish to the season) but not without GOOD return

As a RFA Rodgers will be talked about...but we better get GOOD ROI...more than just Christmas or Clark IMHO

PostPosted: 09/25/16 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

I've mentioned Clark for Swords, yes that's a big trade but in the Seattle trade I explained why that may work for both teams and well Seattle needs a true center as much as we need a true 3...

This looks like a pretty good match to me. I really like both these players and think both would do really well in that swap. I think Swords has quite a bit of value in the moment (wouldn't Indiana or Dallas or SAS like to have her as well?) so trader Bill can get busy and see what he can get.

I value T more than you. She's a great support player, just not a starter anymore. She's also probably not going to play more than a couple of more years at the most, so I doubt she has much trade value. Z also brings fantastic energy off the bench but probably has trade value so for the right price, maybe. Her lack of an outside shot is a detriment in certain situations. It's a bit hard to keep 4 SG, but with LFO's liking for 'lead guards' maybe Prince starts at the PG.

As you say, it's hard to see Sugar going anywhere. I'm not that hot on Boyd, but she has actually been better than I thought she would be and agree that it's worth giving her another year/another look unless something a whole lot better pops up.

Bulgak is gone so with the Swin spot that opens up a couple of spots - one draft pick and one FA? Or a blockbuster type trade. Leaves options.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/25/16 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm are not giving up Clark for Swords and i wouldnt want them too.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/16 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy knows Swords isn't likely to be a championship starting center. Does that mean he's upgrading Stokes or Zahui?

I'd love to see Zahui in SEA (if I can't have her in MIN). No real competition for her. Loyd is her buddy from the draft, so there's some chemistry there. I think it might work.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/25/16 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the Wright discussion, the problem with moving her and/or altering the PG position is that the Libs haven't proven they can even come close to winning consistently without Wright running the offense and playing D. I think Piph might be good at it but you're looking at a dilemma on the defensive end in that your primary on-ball defender isn't going to be as good as Wright. I think the idea might be good, but that would necessitate a look that would still be different from a Laimbeer team. To get to the look of a Laimbeer team they have to outsize the opposition in a number of positions. And have top on-ball defense at the point of attack. Playing Piph at the point ensures neither of those things.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a blockbuster three for one that nets another top player. How many quality bench players can you keep with regard to the salary cap anyway? We have several whose contracts will increase in a few years, at the same time.

They do have some personnel to make things happen if that's their intention.

PostPosted: 09/25/16 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I wouldn't be shocked to see a blockbuster three for one that nets another top player. How many quality bench players can you keep with regard to the salary cap anyway? We have several whose contracts will increase in a few years, at the same time.

They do have some personnel to make things happen if that's their intention.

Who do you have in mind? This league only has 12 teams and 144 players. We can go through each scenario one by one in a realistic amount of time. In operations management, it's called the "brute force" method. Smile As I said on the other thread, unless there's a disgruntled player who is going to demand a trade, I don't see any stars being moved. Has anyone heard any vaguely realistic rumors?

Or maybe the Liberty should just develop their own players like other teams. Laimbeer is going into his fifth season. Last I looked, developing players is part of the job description.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/25/16 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just me thinking out loud and feeling a little radical due to disappointment with how things ended.

Swords and Wright to SA for Robinson

SA gets a big and a vet leader to mentor their new fiery #1 lottery pick, NY gets a veteran PG

Rodgers to Conn for A. Thomas

Conn gets a better shooter than anyone they have on the team (and might decide to trade Bentley for another post to open up minutes for Banham behind Rodgers) and trading A. Thomas opens up minutes for Tuck at the 3, NY gets a starting SF, who seems like a nice fit between Prince and Charles on both ends of the floor

Pray Allen and Schimmel come back prepared for serious minutes as gunners off the bench.

Cross finger that Zahui B progresses so she can start at center and also add some outside shooting to a starting line up that will need it.

Bring back Bulgak hope she is ready to be a 10 to 15 minute a night back up stretch PF

D-Rob/Boyd
Prince/Zellous/Schimmel
A. Thomas/Allen
Charles/Bulgak
Zahui B./Stokes

FA or early 2nd round pick for 5th post

My only problem with this is I really like Rodgers but I'm feeling a need to try and go further, and while I hope Prince and Rodgers could work as a starting back-court Princes big contract does make me a little nervous for Rodgers even with how great she was this season.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/25/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone keeps trading Swords. Is she even under contract for next year?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Everyone keeps trading Swords. Is she even under contract for next year?

Swords and Wright could both be free agents we don't really know how long either signed for, two years seems very possible for both, but who knows?

I like everyone on the team, decent and 6' 6" will always be a commodity.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/25/16 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swords and Zellous were signed before this season to this kind of verbage from Thomas.

Quote:
“Shavonte Zellous is a versatile wing player who fits our defensive-minded culture. Carolyn Swords returns to the Liberty after having played a critical role in the team’s success last year. Both players are outstanding citizens and teammates, and are committed to the positive community efforts that help define our franchise. I enthusiastically welcome them both for our 20th season.”

That sounds like two-year level enthusiasm for both.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/26/16 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T Wright is going to retire before she lets herself get traded to another team that isnt a contender

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 09/26/16 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would seattle give up a smart consistent 25 minutes role player for a inconsistent 17 min backup center ? Clark has her limitations but she's still more valuable to seattle than Swords.Alysha is also a team leader on and off the court.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/26/16 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more realistic option.

Re-sign Sugar.
Start Prince and Rodgers.
Bring back Bulgak.
We currently do not have a 1st round pick.
Schimmel and 2nd round pick fight for last spot.

Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Wright/Schimmel
Zellous/Allen
Charles/Stokes/Bulgak
Swords/Zahui B.

I really like this team. I really enjoy rooting for this team.

We could move forward on internal growth specifically Stokes, Zahui B., Boyd, Allen, Schimmel and Bulgak, can all be better than last year, and Prince can be heathy again that will keep us in the mix. I'm just not sure this is enough to be better than a top 4 team, and I'm not sure we can jump ahead of the teams above us.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/26/16 5:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I agree with that line-up, J-Spoon, I see Laimbeer making some kind of move this offseason. I think there will be a small change to our roster in 2017.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 09/26/16 5:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The more realistic option.

Re-sign Sugar.
Start Prince and Rodgers.
Bring back Bulgak.
We currently do not have a 1st round pick.
Schimmel and 2nd round pick fight for last spot.

Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Wright/Schimmel
Zellous/Allen
Charles/Stokes/Bulgak
Swords/Zahui B.

I really like this team. I really enjoy rooting for this team.

We could move forward on internal growth specifically Stokes, Zahui B., Boyd, Allen, Schimmel and Bulgak, can all be better than last year, and Prince can be heathy again that will keep us in the mix. I'm just not sure this is enough to be better than a top 4 team, and I'm not sure we can jump ahead of the teams above us.

This.....NY should stand pat with the exception of making one or two minor moves.When healthy,E.Pince will give you 15p/3r/3a/2s/44%/36%/88%.The one adjustment I'd make to your rotation is at SF.I would start Allen over zellous.Rebecca gives you more size and better 3pt shooting than Zellous(56% >19%).I would also call connecticut and offer them Schimmel/Swords for Henry.Plan B:Sign Langhorne.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/26/16 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shavonte Zellous? She'll be 31 next year, and in her last two seasons she is 12 for 55 from three-point distance. This is not what the Liberty need from the small forward position.

If you're going to use Boyd in the rotation, you have one player who cannot shoot threes. Putting her and Zellous on the floor at the same time means that Tina Charles will be double-teamed, maybe triple-teamed, every time she touches the ball.

Sooner or later you have to make outside shots – and that's not what Zellous does.

PostPosted: 09/26/16 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Bring back Bulgak.

Bulgak has no ties to any WNBA team, including the Liberty. She is an UFA.
The Liberty knows what she has to offer more than any other team, but they cut her.
My guess she'll be forgotten by most by the time January and the new season begins.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/26/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Bring back Bulgak.

Bulgak has no ties to any WNBA team, including the Liberty. She is an UFA.
The Liberty knows what she has to offer more than any other team, but they cut her.
My guess she'll be forgotten by most by the time January and the new season begins.

Which is why I think it will be pretty easy for NY to bring her back to training camp. We don't have a first round pick, she had some good moments, spent almost a whole season with the coaches and the system, and will most likely have some overseas experience under her belt, all of which leads me to believe she'll have an advantage on any 2nd round picks or first time camp signees. I wouldn't be too surprised if when they waived her NY basic said there would be a camp contract waiting for you next year if you want it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/26/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never seen any evidence that Bulgak can play at this level. There's a difference between being available and being a WNBA contributor.

I could be wrong, of course but relying on Adit Bulgak to save your team at this point seems a lot like relying on the tooth fairy to put a $100 bill under your pillow when you go in to have a crown replaced.

PostPosted: 09/26/16 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm actually projecting Bulgak as the 12th spot 5th post, and yes I think she has potential. And I think she'll have a leg up on anyone else applying for that position. Growth is possible, this season we saw a few player who people didn't think could make it, make it and thrive.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/26/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm need to core Langhorne and then offer her for Swords.
A post rotation of Charles, Stokes and Langhorne is pretty good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 1 of 80

Jump to: