RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shontay33

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Is there a reason to doubt the report? Would anyone be surprised if Diamond and Daddy DeShields think they've figured out a way to game the system? I wouldn't. Sounds just like something they would do.

I doubt they are trying to game the system. With her father having been a pro athlete and her brother a currently in the MLB they understand that professional sports are a business. I'm sure she is aware of the things that come into play having been around pro sports all her life.

Just because she makes herself eligible for the draft does not mean that she will automatically go to Dallas. If another team drafts her, then Dallas would have to trade for her even if she refuses to go to another team.

Most players would love to play for certain teams for certain reasons but most of the time, they don't get that option unless they are a free agent which is another route Diamond can go if she has a certain team that she wants to play on. If she is hell bent(which I doubt she is)on going to Dallas then she need not enter the draft and just sign as a rookie free agent.

Swish appeal has gone overboard. The majority of the stuff on their website is about her and why she transferred instead of the WNBA. I always say, take what these websites say with a grain of salt especially when they have random bloggers and writers and have not interviewed the person they are actually talking about.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/03/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Is there a reason to doubt the report? Would anyone be surprised if Diamond and Daddy DeShields think they've figured out a way to game the system? I wouldn't. Sounds just like something they would do.

I threw that scenario out there when it was first announced, so no I wouldn't be surprised if she had something in mind. I don't think it would work - they would probably have to spend more on lawyers than playing a season in the WNBA would be worth though. She strikes me as a spoiled kid - and that being the case, a grip on reality is not always something you can count on.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I doubt they are trying to game the system. With her father having been a pro athlete and her brother a currently in the MLB they understand that professional sports are a business. I'm sure she is aware of the things that come into play having been around pro sports all her life.

Just because she makes herself eligible for the draft does not mean that she will automatically go to Dallas. If another team drafts her, then Dallas would have to trade for her even if she refuses to go to another team.

Most players would love to play for certain teams for certain reasons but most of the time, they don't get that option unless they are a free agent which is another route Diamond can go if she has a certain team that she wants to play on. If she is hell bent(which I doubt she is)on going to Dallas then she need not enter the draft and just sign as a rookie free agent.

Swish appeal has gone overboard. The majority of the stuff on their website is about her and why she transferred instead of the WNBA. I always say, take what these websites say with a grain of salt especially when they have random bloggers and writers and have not interviewed the person they are actually talking about.

Do you know the rules and the CBA? Do you know for a fact that she hasn't found a real or possible loophole that could make her an unrestricted free agent? I don't find it far-fetched.

Because her dad was a pro he or his agent would be just the right ones to look for or find a way around the rules. I don't understand the presumption that the report of her telling a reporter "that she will be here in Dallas for the next WNBA season" isn't true or that they aren't trying to game the system through the unusual timing of her turning pro.

BTW, I didn't understand this. Could you explain this comment for me?

shontay33 wrote:
If she is hell bent(which I doubt she is)on going to Dallas then she need not enter the draft and just sign as a rookie free agent.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's right that she'll be in Dallas next season. Every team goes there at least once to play a road game, so all she has to manage is actually making a roster.

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She could be a bit delusional as to how big of a talent she really is - thinking new rules would be made for her. Recall Cambage was pretty sure she didn't need to play for Tulsa just because they drafted her. She eventually found out she was stuck with Tulsa.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CBA link on the WNBPA site seems to be broken, but if you want to read the CBA and find a loophole you can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg2ad2zmpb2uuk8/WNBA%20CBA%202014-2021Final.pdf?dl=0

Article XIII seems to be the most relevant passage

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/03/17 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/03/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The CBA link on the WNBPA site seems to be broken, but if you want to read the CBA and find a loophole you can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg2ad2zmpb2uuk8/WNBA%20CBA%202014-2021Final.pdf?dl=0

Article XIII seems to be the most relevant passage

I don't intend to look for one. I just don't think it's at all far fetched to think the DeShields family believes they've found one and purposely waited until after the draft before she turned pro. Whether they're right or not is irrelevant to whether the story regarding her comments in Dallas are true.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/04/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
What Wings GM Greg Bibb believes Dallas' new identity is halfway through WNBA season

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/07/03/wings-gm-greg-bibb-believes-dallas-new-identity-halfway-wnba-season

Quote:
The 8-9 record was likely the high point of the Wings' season a year ago. Dallas went on to lose 12 of its next 13 games amid a series of injuries and tough breaks.

Quote:
"As I've said many times in the past, as Skylar goes, the Wings go," Bibb said. "If you look at Skylar right now, she is clearly playing at an All-Star level. I would suggest she also deserves to be in the Most Valuable Player conversation based on her stats. ... I can't think of a better player to be the leader of our organization because she leads by example."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/04/17 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
"As I've said many times in the past, as Skylar goes, the Wings go," Bibb said. "If you look at Skylar right now, she is clearly playing at an All-Star level. I would suggest she also deserves to be in the Most Valuable Player conversation based on her stats. ... I can't think of a better player to be the leader of our organization because she leads by example."

Uh Oh, Glory and her agent will not be pleased to hear this! Shocked

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/04/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Uhhh...why? When has Glory ever had the kind of status or popularity that Skylar does? When have they even been close?

toad455

PostPosted: 07/05/17 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be surprised if GloJo is in a Wings uniform next season. Especially if Cambage comes over.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/05/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Uhhh...why? When has Glory ever had the kind of status or popularity that Skylar does? When have they even been close?

She hasn't and that's the problem. I've been to her agent's twitter page and Skylar is quite the object of jealousy and envy. To her credit, Diggins has not seemed to stoop to that level.

shontay33

PostPosted: 07/05/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Do you know the rules and the CBA? Do you know for a fact that she hasn't found a real or possible loophole that could make her an unrestricted free agent? I don't find it far-fetched.

Because her dad was a pro he or his agent would be just the right ones to look for or find a way around the rules. I don't understand the presumption that the report of her telling a reporter "that she will be here in Dallas for the next WNBA season" isn't true or that they aren't trying to game the system through the unusual timing of her turning pro.

shontay33 wrote:
If she is hell bent(which I doubt she is)on going to Dallas then she need not enter the draft and just sign as a rookie free agent.

I'm not on here to argue if a website is accurate or not nor am I on here to speculate if a person is trying to find a loophole to go to a particular team. I think it is utterly ridiculous to even go into this subject. Look at Plum, there was all this stuff that was in the media about her not wanting to be in San Antonio and things that her agent said about San Antonio drafing her. She had no control over who drafted her because she entered the WNBA draft. Had she not entered the draft and went overseas for a year then she would have been able to work out a deal with other teams. We see it all the time where players who played overseas and were not drafted in the WNBA get signed by teams for training camps and even make the team. Look as Sammi Whitcomb. She signed with Seattle because it was the best situation for her.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/05/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

shontay33 wrote:

I'm not on here to argue if a website is accurate or not nor am I on here to speculate if a person is trying to find a loophole to go to a particular team. I think it is utterly ridiculous to even go into this subject. Look at Plum, there was all this stuff that was in the media about her not wanting to be in San Antonio and things that her agent said about San Antonio drafing her. She had no control over who drafted her because she entered the WNBA draft. Had she not entered the draft and went overseas for a year then she would have been able to work out a deal with other teams. We see it all the time where players who played overseas and were not drafted in the WNBA get signed by teams for training camps and even make the team. Look as Sammi Whitcomb. She signed with Seattle because it was the best situation for her.

Sammi Whitcomb was eligible for the draft, but was not drafted. That is why she could sign with anyone who would have her. DD has not been eligible for a draft yet. If no one drafts her next year, then she will be comparable to Whitcomb. Until she isn't.

It's not like this is the first time that a player has left college and played overseas. Schuye LaRue and Epiphany Prince both went through the draft after playing overseas.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/05/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Look at Plum, there was all this stuff that was in the media about her not wanting to be in San Antonio and things that her agent said about San Antonio drafing her. She had no control over who drafted her because she entered the WNBA draft. Had she not entered the draft and went overseas for a year then she would have been able to work out a deal with other teams.

Huh? Why are people so confident that this is the case?

shontay33 wrote:
We see it all the time where players who played overseas and were not drafted in the WNBA get signed by teams for training camps and even make the team. Look as Sammi Whitcomb. She signed with Seattle because it was the best situation for her.

Whitcomb was available to be drafted in 2010 but went undrafted. That's not the same situation we're talking about here. If DeShields goes undrafted in the 2018 draft, then she'll be a free agent. That's not going to happen.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/06/17 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DD coming to the Triple D and thats D End of that Cool

PostPosted: 07/06/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
Look at Plum, there was all this stuff that was in the media about her not wanting to be in San Antonio and things that her agent said about San Antonio drafing her. She had no control over who drafted her because she entered the WNBA draft. Had she not entered the draft and went overseas for a year then she would have been able to work out a deal with other teams.

Huh? Why are people so confident that this is the case?

shontay33 wrote:
We see it all the time where players who played overseas and were not drafted in the WNBA get signed by teams for training camps and even make the team. Look as Sammi Whitcomb. She signed with Seattle because it was the best situation for her.

Whitcomb was available to be drafted in 2010 but went undrafted. That's not the same situation we're talking about here. If DeShields goes undrafted in the 2018 draft, then she'll be a free agent. That's not going to happen.

Correct. When your college eligibility is up (and you meet the age and class year requirements) there's no such thing as "entering the draft". There's nothing required of the player, nor anything she can do to prevent it. You're eligible to be drafted whether you like it or not. If somebody picks you, they own your rights for a year. You don't have to sign a contract, but you can't sign with anyone else.

The only time there's any "entering the draft" is that a player with remaining college eligibility has to choose whether to make herself draft eligible.

DeShields should be draft eligible next year. I just wouldn't rule out the possibility that she thinks that by waiting until after the draft to leave school and then playing overseas she has somehow skirted the draft. I doubt she's correct, but that doesn't mean she doesn't believe it.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
DeShields should be draft eligible next year. I just wouldn't rule out the possibility that she thinks that by waiting until after the draft to leave school and then playing overseas she has somehow skirted the draft. I doubt she's correct, but that doesn't mean she doesn't believe it.

Assuming she's either looking for a deal overseas or already has one, she presumably has an agent. If it's any of the major agents or at least one with half a clue, she'll have been told that it's not the case and she'll be in next year's draft.

It's not like this stuff is new. The WNBA system is based on the various men's leagues, all of which are designed to force players to go through the draft, unless they're not good enough for anyone to want to draft them.

Frankly, I really doubt that DeShields or her family think she's somehow going to avoid the draft. Most of this is based on a supposedly overheard statement, 'reported' by a website that constantly gets stuff wrong. And even then people have assigned meaning beyond what was actually (supposedly) said.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Assuming she's either looking for a deal overseas or already has one, she presumably has an agent. If it's any of the major agents or at least one with half a clue, she'll have been told that it's not the case and she'll be in next year's draft.

It's not like this stuff is new. The WNBA system is based on the various men's leagues, all of which are designed to force players to go through the draft, unless they're not good enough for anyone to want to draft them.

Frankly, I really doubt that DeShields or her family think she's somehow going to avoid the draft. Most of this is based on a supposedly overheard statement, 'reported' by a website that constantly gets stuff wrong. And even then people have assigned meaning beyond what was actually (supposedly) said.

If she actually was thinking that far in advance with as much thought as some want to credit her, she would have simply declared. Then she could have chosen (a) get drafted and play, or (b) get drafted and not play, go overseas and play, ( just as she is evidently going to do) and come back in a year actually as a free agent. She's chosen the worst of all choices, resulting in both not playing and not escaping the draft, so nothing regarding her thought process would surprise me here.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/06/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may well be as simple as she was intending to stay, then Te'a Cooper transferred, and she no longer wanted to. And that the timing of how that worked out unfortunately kept her out of the WNBA for an extra year.

PostPosted: 07/06/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So she had given so little thought and planning to her future that the transfer of her bff was enough to completely turn her plans on their head?

I rest my case.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/06/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that and someone probably got in her ear (an agent) and said "You already got your degree do you want to make $200,000 to $400,000 thousand dollars playing basketball next winter?"

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/07/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It may well be as simple as she was intending to stay, then Te'a Cooper transferred, and she no longer wanted to. And that the timing of how that worked out unfortunately kept her out of the WNBA for an extra year.

In order to play in college she has to be a student, seeing as she graduated, perhaps she was unsure if she was going to pass her classes, and since she passed her classes, or took summer school and she has no more classes to take she can't just play basketball at Tennessee. Or maybe she applied for a master's program and didn't get in to the program she wanted, or decided she didn't want a master's at this time in her life so she no longer has a reason to attend Tennessee. To me when the release about her not returning mentioned she is leaving her degree it stood out to me that the academics part was part of the reason she was not returning, how exactly that played a role I have no idea, but there are various ways her academic standings and how she envisions her academic future affect her continuing to play at Tennessee.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/08/17 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't take much for a star athlete to qualify for student status. Back in 2005, USC quarterback Matt Leinart rather famously took only one class to stay in school -- ballroom dancing. Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 31 of 36

Jump to: