Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dallas Wings waive captain Erin Phillips in surprising move to finalize roster

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/10/dallas-wings-waive-veteran-guard-erin-phillips-finalize-roster

Just like Kahleah Copper, this guy may be assuming it's the last move because the roster is at 12.

Quote:
"That is definitely a huge surprise," Wings guard Skylar Diggins-Smith said before she was inducted into the Boys and Girls Club Hall of Fame at a ceremony Wednesday. "Erin is somebody who has been in this league for a long time. Two-time champion, somebody that I have so much respect for as a woman and as an athlete."

Copper?

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Erin Phillips waived by WNBA club Dallas Wings, next step uncertain

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/erin-phillips-waived-by-wnba-club-dallas-wings-next-step-uncertain-20170510-gw2648.html

Quote:
The move has been a shock with Phillips' defence and leadership strongly admired by her Wings teammates.

Quote:
Under the WNBA rules, Phillips will go onto waivers for a few days which gives teams a chance to pick her up immediately. She will then become a free agent and any club could sign her.

But at this time of year clubs are continuously waiving players to cut down their own rosters which could make it tough for her to be immediately picked up.

Phillips and her wife Tracy and their twins would also have to move cities should she be signed by another club.

So Phillips may need to wait a few weeks before injuries or some other problem makes another WNBA club look her way.

Opals guard Rachel Jarry has also been waived from the Atlanta Dream's roster. Like Opals teammate Phillips she will be hoping another club could need her talents.

Yes, good move. I was hoping they'd waive her but really didn't expect them to do so.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm... Williams says he was impressed by Chong when she was a freshman in college.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Saniya Chong Impressing Her Coaches Early

Quote:
“And she got more minutes than any other point guard that went into the pros.”

Hmmmm.....

2016/17 minutes played/minutes per game avg

Allen 1279/34.6
Epps 1197/36.3
Peterson 1174/35.6
Chong 1084/31.0

There might be others. That's all I checked. And of course that ignores that all of these others played for four years and didn't spend three years sitting on the pine. The career numbers would be ridiculous mismatches.

Someone needs to do more homework. No wonder he makes some head scratching decisions.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Hmm... Williams says he was impressed by Chong when she was a freshman in college.

Never had a doubt she would make this team. She's much better than most people gave her credit for. Then, of course, there are a few prominent posters who discredit most or all players - you know who they are.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, so, who needs a good solid veteran PG/SG off the bench with championship experience?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I told myself I wouldn't comment anymore, but I can't resist. So you guys still think these GM's and coaches pick the best talent for rosters?

Sometimes it's about effort. Lazy talent is worse than useless. Sometimes it's about who plays well with others. Sometimes it's about attitude. Like any line of work, hiring choices are based on more than just talent and aptitude.

Talent will get you opportunities. Erin Phillips has had her share. Five teams now, and every one sent her packing after a year or three. That suggests her talent isn't worth the baggage for very long.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Shades wrote:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/10/dallas-wings-waive-veteran-guard-erin-phillips-finalize-roster

Just like Kahleah Copper, this guy may be assuming it's the last move because the roster is at 12.

Quote:
"That is definitely a huge surprise," Wings guard Skylar Diggins-Smith said before she was inducted into the Boys and Girls Club Hall of Fame at a ceremony Wednesday. "Erin is somebody who has been in this league for a long time. Two-time champion, somebody that I have so much respect for as a woman and as an athlete."

Copper?

Copper made a tweet at Feyonda congratulating her on making the team the same day she ends up being cut Embarassed . Copper ASSumed

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
I told myself I wouldn't comment anymore, but I can't resist. So you guys still think these GM's and coaches pick the best talent for rosters?

Sometimes it's about effort. Lazy talent is worse than useless. Sometimes it's about who plays well with others. Sometimes it's about attitude. Like any line of work, hiring choices are based on more than just talent and aptitude.

Talent will get you opportunities. Erin Phillips has had her share. Five teams now, and every one sent her packing after a year or three. That suggests her talent isn't worth the baggage for very long.

Also, maybe these people who run a professional basketball league see something that we fans posting on a message board don't.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Feyonda, you can add her to the list of "got more minutes than Chong despite what Fred thinks".

Feyonda Fitzgerald 1139/39.6.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Also, maybe these people who run a professional basketball league see something that we fans posting on a message board don't.

Like budgets and financial statements. Maybe they can save a few bucks by cutting a vet and keeping a rookie to fill out the bench.

The margins are pretty thin it seems for these WNBA franchises. Every dollar counts.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

You have criticized her for not being good enough to start. So how do you know she was "sent packing" (do we know that every move was not her choice - I seem to remember a trade request to Dallas where she had a home?) for "baggage" and not talent level?

zvyn3

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

What baggage?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

True. We basement dwellers don't know everything.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Copper?

Copper made a tweet at Feyonda congratulating her on making the team the same day she ends up being cut Embarassed . Copper ASSumed

You know what they say about assuming. It makes a Patriot out of u and me.

bullsky

PostPosted: 05/11/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bullsky wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Copper?

Oh, I was worried that Copper had been waived. I get it now.

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/11/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Idea

PostPosted: 05/11/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/v9x9wPdLVhg

Footage from saturdays game vs Indiana

PostPosted: 05/11/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

And maybe they're just hallucinating things like "“And she [Chong] got more minutes than any other point guard that went into the pros.”

Does that give you confidence about their judgments when it is based on measurably false assumptions?

linkster

PostPosted: 05/11/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the minutes a 10th, 11th or 12th player gets in games, their value to a team may be more as a practice player. I have read several comments over over the years from several pro coaches who all said that as a rule UConn players show up at their first pro practice ready for the drills and the pace of play while many other players don't have a clue because their college coach never demanded much from them in practice.

Or it may just be that the entire WNBA, like USAB, is controlled by the UConn head coach. Rolling Eyes

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/11/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

+1 Right on the button.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Erin OK with Dallas decision

YESTERDAY's shock news Dallas Wings released 2016-17 co-captain and the Opals' Rio Olympics starter Erin Phillips troubled everyone except the dual-WNBA champion.
While Phillips, 31, is not free to discuss her situation until she comes off waivers - giving other WNBA clubs a chance to swoop on the multi-talented combo guard - she confided it was a good decision moving forward.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/erin-ok-with-dallas-decision/

? That's ... interesting

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

YESTERDAY's shock news Dallas Wings released 2016-17 co-captain and the Opals' Rio Olympics starter Erin Phillips troubled everyone except the dual-WNBA champion.
While Phillips, 31, is not free to discuss her situation until she comes off waivers - giving other WNBA clubs a chance to swoop on the multi-talented combo guard - she confided it was a good decision moving forward.

? That's ... interesting

very Shocked

...and a good decision for whom?

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

? That's ... interesting

very Shocked

...and a good decision for whom?

I'm guessing that maybe she asked for this due to possibly having her minutes reduced with Gray & Davis taking her minutes? Maybe she's assuming someone will pick her up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she's just as happy to get paid for sitting on her couch as she is to get paid for playing basketball.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 23 of 36

Jump to: