RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/01/16 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Theresa Plaisance is, or will be, better than Courtney Paris?

Per 36 minutes, Plaisance averaged 12.1 points and 7.5 rebounds last year, shooting 39.8% from the field. Her PER was 8.5 and her Win Share was 0.0.

Per 36 minutes, Paris averaged 11.5 points and 11.8 rebounds, shooting 54.8% from the field. Her PER was 16.5 and her Win Share was 2.5.

Now I've always thought Plaisance might be a player in the league, and it's certainly true that Paris has her limitations, but I don't think you'd find many coaches or players who would rather play Plaisance 30 minutes a game than Paris.

PostPosted: 10/01/16 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Paris could even make it to 30 minutes per game..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/16 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plaisance is much more a 4 than a 5. It's just that with GloJo and PPP on the team, there aren't any minutes for her there.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/01/16 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Plaisance is much more a 4 than a 5. It's just that with GloJo and PPP on the team, there aren't any minutes for her there.

True she cant compete with those 2 at all .
They kept Plaisance over Zahui B. Would you have done the same?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/16 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

True she cant compete with those 2 at all .
They kept Plaisance over Zahui B. Would you have done the same?

Could've just cut Kiesel instead. Or Hooper. Or Hamblin.

Plaisance is a big lumbering post whose only offensive skill is outside shooting. If you can do that and play defense, you probably stick around. On this team, under this coach, I'm really not sure whether she can defend or not. Is Williams seriously going to keep his job?

PostPosted: 10/01/16 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Plasiance & Hamblin are terrible. I find it hard to believe both of them were better than Zahui B. in training camp for Williams to easily trade her. This Dallas teams need a mobile center able to run the floor with Diggins, Christmas & Powers.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/16 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Plasiance & Hamblin are terrible. I find it hard to believe both of them were better than Zahui B. in training camp for Williams to easily trade her. This Dallas teams need a mobile center able to run the floor with Diggins, Christmas & Powers.

We didn't really see enough of Hamblin to know how terrible she is. She obviously has slow feet and much to learn, but with a focus on bball rather than rocketry, perhaps she will improve her skills. We shall see. I thought she missed a lot of bunnies which is just a matter of practice, but she is fairly decent at positioning for swatting and for rebounds. Hopefully her tour in Aussie land in the off season will help her focus and bring some improvements. She does have the size they badly need.

And Plaisance has shown better than I expected her to. Not great but not terrible off the bench.

Zahui hasn't exactly ripped up the nets in NY yet either. The jury is still out.

Whenever he tried to play PPP and GloJo as the two posts on the floor, they just got murdered. Each of them is very good at what they do, but neither can play against the bigger fives.

I think they just have mis-matched personnel. They don't quite fit as a unit. Paris has value but is too short and also too chunky to play an uptempo game. She would be great as a post off the bench to spell a taller more mobile post but she is asked to do too much now.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/01/16 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

We didn't really see enough of Hamblin to know how terrible she is. She obviously has slow feet and much to learn, but with a focus on bball rather than rocketry, perhaps she will improve her skills. We shall see. I thought she missed a lot of bunnies which is just a matter of practice, but she is fairly decent at positioning for swatting and for rebounds. Hopefully her tour in Aussie land in the off season will help her focus and bring some improvements.

I hope so too, because she's on my team down here and we are a title chance if she plays well.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

In the 11 games that she played 30 or more minutes this season, Paris' per 36 min avgs only went up, to 12.6pts and 11.9reb at a 58 FG%

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/03/16 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

In the 11 games that she played 30 or more minutes this season, Paris' per 36 min avgs only went up, to 12.6pts and 11.9reb at a 58 FG%

How was her impact on the defensive end Wink

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/03/16 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I like Plaisance within limits of what she can do. I totally agree about Hamblin though. Didn't Dallas only gain 4 draft positions by trading us Zahui and a second for a first? When you view it like that, it looks even worse. If you were trading Zahui for a commodity because she didn't fit your style, ok. But it was likely going into the season that NY would be good...like 4 seed or so is what I thought. And Dallas was at best a question mark with Diggins coming off the torn ACL and Johnson suspended for the first fifth of the season. How you could think that was enough of a commodity...moving up a handful of spots...is beyond me.

Regarding Hamblin, she's one of the slowest players ever both in foot speed and quickness. I don't see how she'll ever develop into a player. If it was a Boyette where there's terrific athleticism, ok. But man. I don't see any WNBA level talent in Hamblin at all. I didn't when I saw her in college either. Nothing has changed a year later.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here I go again…

Why all the hate for Courtney Paris? Sure, she has flaws – as does almost every center in the WNBA. Paris has worked hard to become merely below average in defending the pick and roll, she rebounds, she's a force inside physically, and she can score.

And yet people want to trader her for Aneika Henry, replace her with Theresa Plaisance, and for all I know, they want to exchange her for the ghost of Yolanda Griffith.

To repeat, she led the league in rebounding. She led the league in rebounding.

Will Theresa Plaisance to that? Aneika Henry? Kelsey Bone?

Maybe people don't like Oklahoma, but it just seems to me that there is a lot of emotion wrapped up in Paris's extra weight. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like body-shaming to me, and it just doesn't seem fair, given what Paris is accomplished on the court.

PostPosted: 10/04/16 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Here I go again…

Why all the hate for Courtney Paris? Sure, she has flaws – as does almost every center in the WNBA. Paris has worked hard to become merely below average in defending the pick and roll, she rebounds, she's a force inside physically, and she can score.

And yet people want to trader her for Aneika Henry, replace her with Theresa Plaisance, and for all I know, they want to exchange her for the ghost of Yolanda Griffith.

To repeat, she led the league in rebounding. She led the league in rebounding.

Will Theresa Plaisance to that? Aneika Henry? Kelsey Bone?

Maybe people don't like Oklahoma, but it just seems to me that there is a lot of emotion wrapped up in Paris's extra weight. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like body-shaming to me, and it just doesn't seem fair, given what Paris is accomplished on the court.

And that is why she is getting a lot of minutes on this Dallas team. But lets not forget that she is a big reason (no pun intented) why the Dallas are a horrible defensive team and that is the main thing that they need to improve.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/04/16 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In all fairness to Courtney.Dallas has poor or undersized defenders at multiple positions.Diggins does not have the lateral quickness to guard small PG.Sims doesn't have the size nor cares enough to guard PG/SG's.Christmas is a hard worker but still lacks the length/height at SF.Pierson is undersized at PF.When coach Willimas played Pierson/Johnson at PF/C the wings defense did not improve.Dallas being one of the worst defensive teams is nothing new.In the three seasons(2011-13) prior to Paris becoming the starting center,dallas was the worst defensive team in the league.Liz Cambage was the starting center in 2011 & 2013.The wings defensive deficiencies is more of a team problem than it is individual.Bringing in a new center is pointless without making changes to the defensive strategy.Phoenix was one of the worst defensive teams despite having the biggest defensive game changer in the league(B.Griner).San Antonio's been one of the worst defensive teams over the last 4 years despite having one of the better defensive point guards(Robinson,minus 2016) and centers in the league(Appel).Minnesota won championships with Mccarville playing center.You don't need great defenders at every position to be a top tier defensive basketball team.It's about having a system in place.Then holding the players accountable if they deviate from the course.

I believe the biggest issue with dallas is the coaching staff.They've done a poor job of implementing a cohesive offensive/defensive system.The offense lacks continuity and discipline.The wings rely too heavily on isolation/hero ball.There's no real defensive system.Coach Williams does a poor job of utilizing his talent.His in game coaching is mediocre at best.Dallas has one of the worst player development staffs in the league.The entire Dallas Wings organization lacks accountability.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/04/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
In all fairness to Courtney.Dallas has poor or undersized defenders at multiple positions.Diggins does not have the lateral quickness to guard small PG.Sims doesn't have the size nor cares enough to guard PG/SG's.Christmas is a hard worker but still lacks the length/height at SF.Pierson is undersized at PF.When coach Willimas played Pierson/Johnson at PF/C the wings defense did not improve.Dallas being one of the worst defensive teams is nothing new.In the three seasons(2011-13) prior to Paris becoming the starting center,dallas was the worst defensive team in the league.Liz Cambage was the starting center in 2011 & 2013.The wings defensive deficiencies is more of a team problem than it is individual.Bringing in a new center is pointless without making changes to the defensive strategy.Phoenix was one of the worst defensive teams despite having the biggest defensive game changer in the league(B.Griner).San Antonio's been one of the worst defensive teams over the last 4 years despite having one of the better defensive point guards(Robinson,minus 2016) and centers in the league(Appel).Minnesota won championships with Mccarville playing center.You don't need great defenders at every position to be a top tier defensive basketball team.It's about having a system in place.Then holding the players accountable if they deviate from the course.

I believe the biggest issue with dallas is the coaching staff.They've done a poor job of implementing a cohesive offensive/defensive system.The offense lacks continuity and discipline.The wings rely too heavily on isolation/hero ball.There's no real defensive system.Coach Williams does a poor job of utilizing his talent.His in game coaching is mediocre at best.Dallas has one of the worst player development staffs in the league.The entire Dallas Wings organization lacks accountability.

You do realize that the players only work with the coaching staff for a few months. The rest of the time, they play overseas or stay home and workout. The entire WNBA would be much better if players were able to train year round with their teams like the NBA but that is not the case. It is a league that is more about playing and less about development. So therefore, the players have to work on their games alone. I do feel that it is up to the players to improve and be ready on their own. It is their job to learn the system and execute it.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/04/16 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

You do realize that the players only work with the coaching staff for a few months. The rest of the time, they play overseas or stay home and workout. The entire WNBA would be much better if players were able to train year round with their teams like the NBA but that is not the case. It is a league that is more about playing and less about development. So therefore, the players have to work on their games alone. I do feel that it is up to the players to improve and be ready on their own. It is their job to learn the system and execute it.

Go back to my earlier comment in this thread...

Quote:
1.I'm going to repeat what i've said the last three offseasons.If Paris does not significantly improved her game(Conditioning,Jump shot FT shooting) she should be demoted to the bench or traded.Enough with the excuses and coddling.You can't have championship aspirations starting the worst defensive center in the league.Can you make the playoffs with Courtney ? Yes.But can you win a title ? absolutely not.

No one is absolving the players from their responsibility.

Quote:
The entire Dallas Wings organization lacks accountability

This includes the players.

But lets not make excuses for the the Dallas wings organization.They are incompetent,and have a inferior coaching/training staff.Like really.....Dallas had a one month Olympic break.Plenty of time to get players in shape,incorporate new plays into the offense, and improve their defensive strategy.T.Weatherspoon trained with E.Prince 2-3 times a day.The seattle storm training staff work with KML on her conditioning.What was Dallas doing ???

Players can only get away with what you let them get away with.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/04/16 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Go back to my earlier comment in this thread...

Quote:
1.I'm going to repeat what i've said the last three offseasons.If Paris does not significantly improved her game(Conditioning,Jump shot FT shooting) she should be demoted to the bench or traded.Enough with the excuses and coddling.You can't have championship aspirations starting the worst defensive center in the league.Can you make the playoffs with Courtney ? Yes.But can you win a title ? absolutely not.

No one is absolving the players from their responsibility.

Quote:
The entire Dallas Wings organization lacks accountability

This includes the players.

But lets not make excuses for the the Dallas wings organization.They are incompetent,and have a inferior coaching/training staff.Like really.....Dallas had a one month Olympic break.Plenty of time to get players in shape,incorporate new plays into the offense, and improve their defensive strategy.T.Weatherspoon trained with E.Prince 2-3 times a day.The seattle storm training staff work with KML on her conditioning.What was Dallas doing ???

Players can only get away with what you let them get away with.

That is during an Olympic year. Prince was just coming off and ACL injury and it was her choice to train 3 times a day. Please keep in mind that they are a young team. They cant force players to train three times a day just like companies cant force people to work over time. So what do you recommend? Sit the players down. These are grown women. I am quite sure that Dallas was working just like other teams were. They over achieved last year. They also do not have a scorer coming off of the bench like they had in Bay Bay.

How do you know that Courtney Paris is not in shape? Because she doesn't run fast like the guards? Because she isn't tall and thin? How many post players beat the guards down the floor. Suppose she can shoot the outside shot? Maybe that is not what the team needs from her.

You also said that their was no improvement in player development. Glory Johnson's outside shot improved. Ariel Powers improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the season. Skylar Diggins came off an ACL injury and had a few 20 point games. This is a young team. If this were the Mercury, I can see your argument but when you have most of your players that don't even have four years of Pro experience, there will definately be some bumps in the road.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/04/16 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fred Williams strikes me as adaptable. His stint at Atlanta was with a team that shot the fewest 3s and had the best team D rating. This years Wings, shot the most 3s and had the worst D rating. But there's not much he had to do with causing a line up of Knee + Knee + Rookie + Stuff + Traded.

Paris is necessary. Somebody has to go toe-to-toe with Griner or Fowles. Libs have a good center rotation. Sky have maybe an extra center. Mystics are good at center. Sun are waiting on 2 rookies. Fever still have their crew. Dream were down 2 solid players. Sparks have an embarassment of riches, bringing back Tolo. Stars are iffy. Storm were the smallest all year.

Coates or Russell could be good picks for them, whoever pans out.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/04/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:

How do you know that Courtney Paris is not in shape? Because she doesn't run fast like the guards? Because she isn't tall and thin? How many post players beat the guards down the floor. Suppose she can shoot the outside shot? Maybe that is not what the team needs from her.

Maybe your right....it's possible courtney is in fantastic shape,and one of the better conditioned players on the team.Maybe coach Williams told Paris to not shoot jump shots.Spreading the floor and opening up driving lanes for the guards would be counterproductive.Maybe Courtney's not really a 50% free throw shooter.

Quote:
You also said that their was no improvement in player development. Glory Johnson's outside shot improved. Ariel Powers improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the season. Skylar Diggins came off an ACL injury and had a few 20 point games. This is a young team

1.I never said this......
2.Johnson was a all-star before Williams was ever hired as the head coach.
3.Diggins has a full time personal trainer,and was training her ass off before Williams ever became the head coach.
4.Lets see what A.Powers does next season
5.Christmas is self made.She made great improvements with indiana.

List of players that havn't developed or regressed under the current coaching staff.

O.Sims
C.Paris
J.Hooper
B,Kiesel
zahui B
R.Hamlin
T.Plaiance

Last edited by zune69 on 10/04/16 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/04/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Sims used to be considered a decent to good defender? That was one of the reasons why she made it on that USA team a year ago instead of Diggins right?

She and Diggins can do better for sure. There are a lot of starting PG's that are that fast offensively, have had injuries themselves or arent good defenders (Taurasi, Bird, Whalen etc.)either so they shouldnt be this bad IMO.

You can say what you want about Christmas but just like Clark she is an solid defender at the SF position (above average for sure)

I think Glory can be a solid defender aswell but she needs to learn how to control herself and her movements.
PP might be undersized but she is a pretty strong and physical player. I take her defense over Langhorne for example.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/04/16 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

You can say what you want about Christmas but just like Clark she is an solid defender at the SF position (above average for sure)

Christmas is a very good defender against the average SF(Clark,Cash,Carsons,Zellous,Coleman,Young,Thomas) but against Moore,mccoughtry and Bonner she is BBQ chicken.Bonner put up 38 & 26 pts in back to back games versus Dallas earlier this season.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/04/16 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious.... Was it wise for Dallas to sign a player (diggins) coming off an ACL to a 4yr deal? Why not wait and see. I' m not saying Diggy should be gone, just wondering.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/04/16 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Just curious.... Was it wise for Dallas to sign a player (diggins) coming off an ACL to a 4yr deal? Why not wait and see. I' m not saying Diggy should be gone, just wondering.

Dallas can't afford to toy with a franchise player. If you can sign 'em for four, do it! They probably got into Diggins feelings by signing her while she was down. Could make for a long relationship, instead of a rocky one like between Fowles and CHI

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/04/16 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oops....wrong thread Embarassed

Shades

PostPosted: 10/04/16 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
god, i hope Ward isn't calling the Finals... her narrative throughout the game is mind numbing.

She's the O.G.!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: