RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/05/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We seem to cycle through these small, quick 'lead' guards every year. Most of them can't shoot, and can't do enough other things well at this level to compensate. Jamierra Faulkner and Erica Wheeler looked like they might be developing into proper WNBA players last season, but they're the exceptions. I tend to agree that Bias falls into that giant pool with all the others.

PostPosted: 05/05/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
We seem to cycle through these small, quick 'lead' guards every year. Most of them can't shoot, and can't do enough other things well at this level to compensate. Jamierra Faulkner and Erica Wheeler looked like they might be developing into proper WNBA players last season, but they're the exceptions. I tend to agree that Bias falls into that giant pool with all the others.

It is interesting how women's basketball seems to produce small, quick guards who can't shoot in such numbers. I can go back to my Win by Friday theory (players and parents care only about winning this weekend, not about developing a complete game) but you'd think someone would figure out that adding a three-pointer makes all the difference. After all, how would we be talking about Lindsey Allen if she took more than 21 threes last year (and made 35%)?

PostPosted: 05/05/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:
zune69 wrote:
My final roster:

G-Diggins
G-Powers
C-Paris
F-Johnson
F-Christmas
6-Davis
7-Gray
8-Phillips
9-Ahkator
10-Lewis
11-Chong
12-Hooper

This is the roster I'm hoping for, except replace Hooper with Plaisance (yeah yeah, I know. I just think she has more upside and she adds much needed size to this team). With that being said, I don't see them cutting Bias, which pisses me off because she has reached her ceiling in my eyes and they have a better chance with developing chong.

Hopefully Chong shows out this next preseason game. Either her or Thorton because Bias is such a waste of roster space to me.

Plaisance over Hooper makes more sense because even with Paris, DAL would be light at true post players with his roster. Not only are there only 4 post players, half of them are rookies. Not a good sitch.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
After all, how would we be talking about Lindsey Allen if she took more than 21 threes last year (and made 35%)?

It would depend on how many more, I suppose. If she took 22, it wouldn't matter. If she took 90, she'd be more highly regarded, though her low USG% would still be an issue (assuming her shot total remained the same). If she took 150, her prospects would go back down.

PostPosted: 05/05/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="FemmeFatale"]
zune69 wrote:
My final roster:

G-Diggins
G-Powers
C-Paris
F-Johnson
F-Christmas
6-Davis
7-Gray
8-Phillips
9-Ahkator
10-Lewis
11-Chong
12-Hooper

Quote:
Hopefully Chong shows out this next preseason game. Either her or Thorton because Bias is such a waste of roster space to me

Omg ive been preaching this since we signed her , she reached her max potential a while ago . Something tells me Fred & Bibb didnt think they would get a PG out of this draft and might have been suprised to see chong available. Now that shes here she might have them in a tough spot. Im 1 for sure who thinks Bias is a waste of roster space. She was never a factor in PHX and i dont see her making a big difference in dallas .

PostPosted: 05/05/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
After all, how would we be talking about Lindsey Allen if she took more than 21 threes last year (and made 35%)?

It would depend on how many more, I suppose. If she took 22, it wouldn't matter. If she took 90, she'd be more highly regarded, though her low USG% would still be an issue (assuming her shot total remained the same). If she took 150, her prospects would go back down.

Usage is useless in relation to a true point guard because it doesn't take assists into account. NBA star pgs like Nash, Rondo, Paul all had very low usage percentages.

And assuming that "doesn't take a lot of threes" equates to "can't make threes" is also misplaced. She made 38% this year. As a soph she took 54 and made 37%.

I love how for Gabby Williams, who will absolutely need a 3pt shot to play wing at the next level but is 1 for 7 for her entire career, the popular narrative is "she can develop one", but for Lindsay Allen, who doesn't necessarily need one to play pg, "only" taking 150 and making about 35% of them is somehow disqualifying.

Allen was the one and only true point guard in this draft.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/05/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Usage is useless in relation to a true point guard because it doesn't take assists into account. NBA star pgs like Nash, Rondo, Paul all had very low usage percentages.

And assuming that "doesn't take a lot of threes" equates to "can't make threes" is also misplaced. She made 38% this year. As a soph she took 54 and made 37%.

I love how for Gabby Williams, who will absolutely need a 3pt shot to play wing at the next level but is 1 for 7 for her entire career, the popular narrative is "she can develop one", but for Lindsay Allen, who doesn't necessarily need one to play pg, "only" taking 150 and making about 35% of them is somehow disqualifying.

Amen !!!!!

PostPosted: 05/05/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Well, no, a too low USG% is a red flag. Under about 18% and teams will just lay off and let you go 4 on 5. If she doesn't shoot often enough to make people guard her, she's not going to be effective. None of those guys you mention were down around 15%, like Allen was as a senior.

PostPosted: 05/05/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Amen !!!!!

Could we have another Prahalis in the making.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/05/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Amen !!!!!

You'll have to explain that comment. It's hard to imagine two more dissimilar guards.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/05/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Amen !!!!!

You'll have to explain that comment. It's hard to imagine two more dissimilar guards.

yeah i didnt catch the similarity at all .

PostPosted: 05/05/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a serious comment about basketball similarities, rather about dedicated fans of a PG. No offense meant.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/05/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is a good chance Thornton sticks. Thornton just has too much effort and upside. Chong too. The ability to hit an open 3 is a big advantage from Chong to Bias.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/05/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is certainly possible that Lindsey Allen will be a competent three-pointer shooter in the WNBA -- which basically means that you have to guard her beyond the arc -- but taking 21 threes in 1,279 minutes, regardless of how many you make, shows that either Allen or her coaches or both lacked confidence in her ability to make them.

After all, if she made 38% on a regular basis, that's a shot she should be taking because it would make the team better.

The true WNBA point guard, at least, must be a credible threat from three-point distance. If Lindsey Allen shows she's a credible threat, she indeed looks like a quality WNBA point.

PostPosted: 05/05/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

The true WNBA point guard, at least, must be a credible threat from three-point distance.

Unless, of course, that PG is from California and goes by name of DRob.

myrtle

ClayK wrote:
It is certainly possible that Lindsey Allen will be a competent three-pointer shooter in the WNBA -- which basically means that you have to guard her beyond the arc -- but taking 21 threes in 1,279 minutes, regardless of how many you make, shows that either Allen or her coaches or both lacked confidence in her ability to make them.

After all, if she made 38% on a regular basis, that's a shot she should be taking because it would make the team better.

The true WNBA point guard, at least, must be a credible threat from three-point distance. If Lindsey Allen shows she's a credible threat, she indeed looks like a quality WNBA point.

unless your name is DRob.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

great minds think alike Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/05/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Not a serious comment about basketball similarities, rather about dedicated fans of a PG. No offense meant.

No smoke from me randy your a good guy/girl.

PostPosted: 05/06/17 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings/Tulsa Shock first round draft picks

2011 #2 Liz Cambage / #7 Kayla Pederson
2012 #4 Glory Johnson
2013 #3 Skylar Diggins
2014 #2 Odyssey Sims
2015 #2 Amanda Zahui B.
2016 #5 Aerial Powers
2017 #3 Evelyn Akhator / #4 Allisha Gray / #10 Kaela Davis

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/06/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxeLs8DMQOh5mq981DobRp9n_GephkdD7Zny40/

Our 2017 Dallas Wings Minus S. Chong ...Powers jumping around like nothing ever happened. What surgery she says lol

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 05/06/17 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/06/17 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bump

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 05/08/17 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 05/07/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings left to make tough roster decisions following come-from-behind preseason win

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/06/dallas-wings-left-make-tough-roster-decisions-following-come-behind-preseason-win

Quote:
"I thought it was a win-by-committee," guard Skylar Diggins-Smith said. "I think we'll have a lot of those type of wins."

Quote:
The Wings' youth movement was on display down the stretch. With the team clinging to a two-possession lead, head coach Fred Williams turned to the veteran Diggins-Smith and four rookies -- Davis, Allisha Gray, Breanna Lewis and Evelyn Akhator.

Quote:
"These rookies that we have are pro-ready rookies," Williams said. "They have proven that in preseason play. "It's going to be a difficult decision but it will be the right decision for the 12 players that we're going to select for this team."

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/07/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dallas Wings left to make tough roster decisions following come-from-behind preseason win

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/06/dallas-wings-left-make-tough-roster-decisions-following-come-behind-preseason-win

Quote:
"I thought it was a win-by-committee," guard Skylar Diggins-Smith said. "I think we'll have a lot of those type of wins."

Quote:
The Wings' youth movement was on display down the stretch. With the team clinging to a two-possession lead, head coach Fred Williams turned to the veteran Diggins-Smith and four rookies -- Davis, Allisha Gray, Breanna Lewis and Evelyn Akhator.

Quote:
"These rookies that we have are pro-ready rookies," Williams said. "They have proven that in preseason play. "It's going to be a difficult decision but it will be the right decision for the 12 players that we're going to select for this team."

3 have to go and it sucks. Someone good will be left out. My guess Thornton , Hooper & Chong . Although i wouldnt cry if Plassaince left and we kept hooper or thornton tbh

PostPosted: 05/07/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Chong stays & Bias goes. Plaisance brings a little more to the court than Hooper.

PG: Diggins/Chong
SG: Christmas/Phillips/Davis
SF: Powers/Gray
PF: Johnson/Akhator/Plaisance
C: Paris/Lewis

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 05/07/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chong > Bias

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 18 of 36

Jump to: