RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/27/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

right i know some teams do workouts with some of the kids and talk over the phone before hand but i dont know if all teams do so .

Someone posted an article before the draft that said WNBA teams are not allowed to conduct individual workouts. This surprised me. Maybe because flying in players for workouts costs money, the league is trying to prevent wealthier teams from having an advantage. However, management can attend the private predraft camps and they do have permission to interview prospects. Whether measurements are allowed during interviews is another question.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My hope is they keep Kayla Thornton out of UT El Paso. She plays nearly at the level of the rim, she's fast , she's strong, she is very aggressive, talks on defense. Her physique is that of a 2" shorter but stronger glory Johnson. Except she appears to have range on her shot. She was listed as a rookie, but she played 10 games for Was in 2015. We looked up her stats and in a non-b5 power conference she was awarded like honorable conference mention for 2 years. At any rate, now she's a beast and my leading hope for outsider to make the team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thornton struggled to find a position when she was in Washington, the classic tweener between the 3 and the 4. Sometimes those players go away and work on their deficiencies, come back and stick (Alysha Clark being the classic recent example). But a lot of them end up making decent money overseas without ever really making a dent in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Observations from Dallas Wings training camp

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/04/27/observations-dallas-wings-training-camp-skylar-diggins-smith-looks-like-pre-injury-form

Quote:
An extra offseason to train and heal has done wonders for [Diggins]. Her burst in her first step towards the basket is back, which makes her a much more dynamic player than she was a year ago.

Quote:
Expect a much more exciting brand of basketball this season from the Wings. The team is running up and down the court at the speed that head coach Fred Williams has wanted to see for some time.

Quote:
Possible surprise roster addition: As the team currently sits, there are nine returning veterans and three first-round draft picks to fill the Dallas Wings' 12 roster spots. But if one of the other rookies or training camp invites is going to make the team, expect it to be second-round pick Breanna Lewis.

Quote:
The Wings are still missing center Courtney Paris and power forward Glory Johnson, whose overseas seasons extended into training camp. Both are expected back with the team next week

Quote:
Second-year forward Aerial Powers is the only Wing dealing with a serious injury as she continues to recover from hip surgery.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/27/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Skylar officially using Diggins-Smith now?

toad455

PostPosted: 04/27/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lewis should easily make the team as the back-up center. I mean, there's really no one else in their camp to fill that position.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/27/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Lewis should easily make the team as the back-up center. I mean, there's really no one else in their camp to fill that position.

Well, there's the university of Texas center and the Kansas state center. The K-state is more athletic and likely a better defender. But she has no offense. The UT center has range to the 3-point line and was daily competitive in camp as well.

Without Ruth, one of them must make the team.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/27/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Powers out at the beginning of the season do one of the SC rookies start? Or Phillips? My money is on A. Gray.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/27/17 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe a team consisting of those 5 drafted rookies can beat a team with the rest of the in-camp players and could give the full team when back and healthy a good challenge.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Well, there's the university of Texas center and the Kansas state center. The K-state is more athletic and likely a better defender. But she has no offense. The UT center has range to the 3-point line and was daily competitive in camp as well.

Without Ruth, one of them must make the team.

Or they just use some combination of Plaisance and Johnson as the backup center.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed that Gray was listed as 5'9 on the Wings roster. I know that coached often stretch height, but I thought Gray would at least be 5'11. I'm most intrigued by the battle between Chong and Bias for backup point guard. Dallas could elect to keep Hooper and let Phillips play back up.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If 3 of the rookies stay with lewis being 1 of the 3 which 1st round pick goes? I gave her at least 1 season but this could be a Shocked

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If 3 of the rookies stay with lewis being 1 of the 3 which 1st round pick goes? I gave her at least 1 season but this could be a Shocked

You're forgetting the option of letting Plaisance or Hooper go, or maybe dealing Paris or Christmas. I think Plaisance would be the most likely option, but I haven't seen how she is doing.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I think it's highly unlikely that if Lewis sticks it will be at the expense of one of the three first rounders.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

from the feedback ive heard about from training camp akhator seems like a deer in headlights right now at this moment and people are starting too see that 6"3 and 6"1 are NOT the same Embarassed . I wish her luck though

Greg Bibb (and maybe Fred Williams as well) must be sweating this pick. Since she wasn't invited to the draft it makes it appear that she was actually a #11 or higher pick, not a #3, per consensus opinion. So he is set up to potentially look like a great judge of talent, or a not-so-great judge of talent.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I think it's highly unlikely that if Lewis sticks it will be at the expense of one of the three first rounders.

Same here. You've got Diggins, Phillips, Powers, Gray, Christmas, Johnson, Akhator and Paris going nowhere. That's eight. Then Davis likely sticking as well. So probably three spots left for Plaisance, Hooper, Bias, Chong, Thornton and the other young bigs to fight over.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

You're forgetting the option of letting Plaisance or Hooper go, or maybe dealing Paris or Christmas. I think Plaisance would be the most likely option, but I haven't seen how she is doing.

Plaisance always seems to look great in pre-season.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/27/17 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article says there are 9 returning players. They must have counted suspended Hamblin as a returning player, or Bias who isn't a returning player but a signed free agent. [Edit: My bad.... it turns out that Bias was a mid-season add for DAL last season, so she is returning]

My lineup that keeps Lewis actually works out better to bump Hooper. Maybe temporarily suspend Powers until she's ready to go.

Diggins/(Bias vs Chong)
Phillips/Gray/Davis(can slide to SF if not temp suspending Powers)
Christmas/Powers**/[Hooper]
Johnson/Shaqhator/Plaisance
Paris/Lewis

*Hamblin - Full season suspension
**Powers - Temporary suspension?

I think they'd actually be a bit thin at post if they didn't keep Lewis or Lang

Last edited by Shades on 04/29/17 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/28/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTaAxwghztk/?taken-by=wnbahoopz

Quote:
BIG news for the Dallas Wings, Liz Cambage is open to returning to the wnba in 2018!!! She plans to meet with fellow Australian, Erin Phillips in the coming months and come to some Wings' games this year to help her decide on her future.

Shocked

PostPosted: 04/28/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The article says there are 9 returning players. They must have counted suspended Hamblin as a returning player, or Bias who isn't a returning player but a signed free agent. So there's actually 8 returning players, and as many as 5 new players on the team should one of those returning players get bumped.

My lineup that keeps Lewis actually works out better to bump Hooper. Maybe temporarily suspend Powers until she's ready to go.

Diggins/(Bias vs Chong)
Phillips/Gray/Davis(can slide to SF if not temp suspending Powers)
Christmas/Powers**/[Hooper]
Johnson/Shaqhator/Plaisance
Paris/Lewis

*Hamblin - Full season suspension
**Powers - Temporary suspension?

I think they'd actually be a bit thin at post if they didn't keep Lewis or Lang

Dumping hooper would cause a big raff here in dallas . Shes won us fans over , the curtain call when her shot goes up #HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR #Boom ! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/28/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:
BIG news for the Dallas Wings, Liz Cambage is open to returning to the wnba in 2018!!! She plans to meet with fellow Australian, Erin Phillips in the coming months and come to some Wings' games this year to help her decide on her future.

Shocked

That's dusty two day old news

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=89387&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=339

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/28/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:

Shocked

That's dusty two day old news

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=89387&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=339

yeah i remember shades , but the wording was a bit different . Im more excited about her coming to some Wings Games in person thats the reason for the Shocked look. The other article made it seem like she wanted to come back but just not for Dallas this one seems a bit more optimistic. From WNBAhoopz IG this morning

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wings’ large rookie class trying to make impact on Dallas as it adjusts to WNBA

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/04/28/wings-large-rookie-class-trying-make-impact-dallas-adjusts-wnba

Quote:
“The Fab Five” is what Dallas Wings head coach Fred Williams has taken to calling his team’s five selections from this month’s WNBA draft — first-rounders Evelyn Akhator, Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis, second-rounder Breanna Lewis and third-rounder Saniya Chong.

Quote:
They also added some winning culture to the team. Chong is from the vaunted UConn program while Gray and Davis both won the national championship with South Carolina in Dallas in early April. The hope is that some of their winning ways rub off on a team that went 11-23 last year.

Quote:
“I just want to click with everybody,” Davis said of the preseason opener. “We’re doing our best to figure everybody out. I see it as a test and I think we pass that test if take our step forward.”

zune69

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something tells me Liz will play for dallas in 2018,sign a big overseas contract,then skip the W for the next 2-3 years.Dallas' draft position in 2018 will determine whether I want cambage or not.If we miss the playoffs and lose the 2018 draft lottery,dallas should welcome Cambage back with open arms.But if we score the #1 pick,trading Cambage would be the best option.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zune, weren't you the one who predicted Dallas would finish #3 this season? Why are you talking lottery now?

Get Cambage on your team, THEN you can talk about Dallas as the #3 team without people laughing at you. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 15 of 36

Jump to: