Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/25/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Did anybody else go to the Wings open practice yesterday? They have 17 on the roster with several presumable starters not there for practice yet. Was exciting to essentially get to watch the whole practice. Terrific energy. We were trying to guess the 5 players that are gonna be cut. 4 or more we feel should be cuts from returners! The South Carolina ladies look solid. Not a Uconn fan, but you can tell that Chong has had intense First quality coaching. Seemed to have a better feel for defensive drills with helping off and covering and what not. Christmas-Kelly looks fitter and stronger, if that's possible.

So, if you had to make the cuts today based on ONE practice (I know, I know...) who would they be and why? Curious how the newbies look. Any chance Chong takes Bias' place for example. Or who would you keep/cut between Akhator, Thornton, Purcell, Davis and Hooper - assuming three of them will be cut? How about Lewis and Lang? Any hope there?

Well Bias actually looked pretty good as the practice got going. Deeper into practice she was handling the offensive drills pretty well and got in for a nice pull-up. Chong oth, ran the plays but did not look as in control as bias. Prior to that I thought she had a very good chance of unseeding her. Given her 3 point ability, and her hopefully higher ceiling given her youth I still am hopeful they choose Chong over Bias.

I liked all the Rookies effort. I feel that the strongest we're the Carolina ladies and Chong

Akhator, on the other hand looked lost, tiny and timid. May be a result of college coaching my as well. Mitchell's 40 minutes of dread lunacy and never really learning to play defense may be part of it.

If I had my way, I'd blow up the team. Both centers I like better than Paris, but she was not there to get a comparison. But when you look at the team I'm scared of the lack of a big presence besides Glo Jo at the 4&5. Other than pros and the other center that makes the team there is no one who can really spell Glory that matches her height. My guess this is why they went for Akhator. Last season they had some success running 2 mobile 4's on the court together. But with the fleeing of Pierson they need help. They had a 6'1 player that had the hops and strength of Glory who was very fun to watch, but at 6'1 I don't know if she can be enough to assist the thin and short situation in the post.

Anywho, I'm rambling now, but if I had my way, I'd consider keeping 6 of the 8 rookies listed on the opening day roster.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Did anybody else go to the Wings open practice yesterday? They have 17 on the roster with several presumable starters not there for practice yet. Was exciting to essentially get to watch the whole practice. Terrific energy. We were trying to guess the 5 players that are gonna be cut. 4 or more we feel should be cuts from returners! The South Carolina ladies look solid. Not a Uconn fan, but you can tell that Chong has had intense First quality coaching. Seemed to have a better feel for defensive drills with helping off and covering and what not. Christmas-Kelly looks fitter and stronger, if that's possible.

So, if you had to make the cuts today based on ONE practice (I know, I know...) who would they be and why? Curious how the newbies look. Any chance Chong takes Bias' place for example. Or who would you keep/cut between Akhator, Thornton, Purcell, Davis and Hooper - assuming three of them will be cut? How about Lewis and Lang? Any hope there?

Well Bias actually looked pretty good as the practice got going. Deeper into practice she was handling the offensive drills pretty well and got in for a nice pull-up. Chong oth, ran the plays but did not look as in control as bias. Prior to that I thought she had a very good chance of unseeding her. Given her 3 point ability, and her hopefully higher ceiling given her youth I still am hopeful they choose Chong over Bias.

I liked all the Rookies effort. I feel that the strongest we're the Carolina ladies and Chong

Akhator, on the other hand looked lost, tiny and timid. May be a result of college coaching my as well. Mitchell's 40 minutes of dread lunacy and never really learning to play defense may be part of it.

If I had my way, I'd blow up the team. Both centers I like better than Paris, but she was not there to get a comparison. But when you look at the team I'm scared of the lack of a big presence besides Glo Jo at the 4&5. Other than pros and the other center that makes the team there is no one who can really spell Glory that matches her height. My guess this is why they went for Akhator. Last season they had some success running 2 mobile 4's on the court together. But with the fleeing of Pierson they need help. They had a 6'1 player that had the hops and strength of Glory who was very fun to watch, but at 6'1 I don't know if she can be enough to assist the thin and short situation in the post.

Anywho, I'm rambling now, but if I had my way, I'd consider keeping 6 of the 8 rookies listed on the opening day roster.

Ha, guess I never got to your original query. There were 17 on the roster, so they would need to make 5 cuts. I know it will not unfold the way I like, but I'd send Hooper, Plaisance, Bias, 6'2 from BYU and, brace yourself, Paris-who mind you, was not there. However the K-state Center although unable to score is mobile and played good D, while the Texas Center has range and was hitting from 3 from the opening shot. Both are more mobile than Paris, and after last year stagnation is not what the Wings need

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

Ha, guess I never got to your original query. There were 17 on the roster, so they would need to make 5 cuts. I know it will not unfold the way I like, but I'd send Hooper, Plaisance, Bias, 6'2 from BYU and, brace yourself, Paris-who mind you, was not there. However the K-state Center although unable to score is mobile and played good D, while the Texas Center has range and was hitting from 3 from the opening shot. Both are more mobile than Paris, and after last year stagnation is not what the Wings need

Did Skylar look like her old self?

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/25/17 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar played with no sign of favoring the knee. She was without a brace. She looked like she was holding back, on purpose sort of like Elena did to not take over practice. She was totally in leader mode and cthe mpletely comfortable with it. And confident. I think she's fully back.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/17 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/five-reasons-watch-wings-work-season/

Quote:
Both Glory Johnson and Skylar Diggins have missed significant time in recent years due to pregnancy (Johnson) and injury (Diggins), while Aerial Powers is still recovering from offseason hip surgery. If all three can get on the court together, the Wings have a solid core to build on.

i hope this comes true . For some reason i feel as though ahkator pick will comeback to haunt us . She wont be here next season Embarassed

PostPosted: 04/26/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did seem like a pretty questionable pick. I recall a KY game where Thbault was doing the commentary. He said she would likely be a late first round or early second round pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/26/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Wings biggest concern should be their bench. They could have four to five rookies on their bench(Chong, Davis, Gray, Akhator, Lewis or Lang). Hopefully Diggins, Johnson & Powers are all healthy once the season starts on May 13.

PG: Diggins/Chong or Bias
SG: Christmas/Phillips/Davis
SF: Powers/Gray
PF: Johnson/Akhator
C: Paris/Lewis or Lang
12th: Hooper, Plaisance or Purcell

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 04/26/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need a vet in the backcourt. Ajavon for Chong. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Did seem like a pretty questionable pick. I recall a KY game where Thbault was doing the commentary. He said she would likely be a late first round or early second round pick.

Wait... isn't Thibault part of Miller's exclusive coach's club that know better than the basement dwellers? I guess Thibault forgot to pay his dues and didn't get the news flyer that stated Akhator was a high pick.

Luckily it worked out for Dallas, but more sensibly it should have went
#3 Gray
#4 Davis
#10 Akhator

So no big deal really. I would have strongly considered draft invite McCall over Akhator. Isn't that why McCall was invited and Akhator wasn't... because the GM's felt she was a Top 10 pick? Something else that goes against the BS of Miller.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/26/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Skylar played with no sign of favoring the knee. She was without a brace. She looked like she was holding back, on purpose sort of like Elena did to not take over practice. She was totally in leader mode and cthe mpletely comfortable with it. And confident. I think she's fully back.

That's great news. Thanks!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Wait... isn't Thibault part of Miller's exclusive coach's club that know better than the basement dwellers? I guess Thibault forgot to pay his dues and didn't get the news flyer that stated Akhator was a high pick.

Luckily it worked out for Dallas, but more sensibly it should have went
#3 Gray
#4 Davis
#10 Akhator

So no big deal really. I would have strongly considered draft invite McCall over Akhator. Isn't that why McCall was invited and Akhator wasn't... because the GM's felt she was a Top 10 pick? Something else that goes against the BS of Miller.

Agreed with everything stated here , now its going to make Bibb & Fred look foolish as usual when the #3 pick doesnt even play and most likely gets cut for next season . Trading would be the sucker way out in which i fully expect from this front office.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Agreed with everything stated here , now its going to make Bibb & Fred look foolish as usual when the #3 pick doesnt even play and most likely gets cut for next season. Trading would be the sucker way out in which i fully expect from this front office.

Are you talking about a repeat of giving up on #2 pick Zahui after only one year? Razz

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you folks are wrong about Akhator. I think it's​ a good pick for them and said so way back in mid March

ArtBest23 wrote:
Dallas should take Akator with one of those first round picks. They need an upgrade at the 4.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Agreed with everything stated here , now its going to make Bibb & Fred look foolish as usual when the #3 pick doesnt even play and most likely gets cut for next season. Trading would be the sucker way out in which i fully expect from this front office.

Are you talking about a repeat of giving up on #2 pick Zahui after only one year? Razz

Laughing im trying to stay optimistic here shades but from the feedback ive heard about from training camp akhator seems like a deer in headlights right now at this moment and people are starting too see that 6"3 and 6"1 are NOT the same Embarassed . I wish her luck though

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think you folks are wrong about Akhator. I think it's​ a good pick for them and said so way back in mid March

ArtBest23 wrote:
Dallas should take Akator with one of those first round picks. They need an upgrade at the 4.

The only problem is shes not an upgrade. Shes a project who's still very raw. I would compare to the likes of sancho when she first came into the league , but shes a legit 6"4 not a fake 6"3

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:

The only problem is shes not an upgrade. Shes a project who's still very raw. I would compare to the likes of sancho when she first came into the league , but shes a legit 6"4 not a fake 6"3

Wouldn't the Dallas brass know the actual heights of the players they draft? I would think that all the GMs would.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:

The 3, 4 or 10?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:

Wouldn't the Dallas brass know the actual heights of the players they draft? I would think that all the GMs would.

What are the rules on pre-draft contact or workouts? Are they free to take their own measurements or work them out at their own place or at the player's school prior to the draft?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:

You would think , but with the history of our front office ......They seemed to be making draft picks out of thin air during that draft. No structure ever .

What are the rules on pre-draft contact or workouts? Are they free to take their own measurements or work them out at their own place or at the player's school prior to the draft?

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
[/quote]

You would think , but with the history of our front office ......They seemed to be making draft picks out of thin air during that draft. No structure ever .

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

ArtBest23 wrote:

I agree 100%.....Akhator is a great pickup for dallas.The wings needed a backup 4 to replace Pierson,and they took the best one available.I believe dallas intended to take Coates 3rd,Davis/Gray 4th and Akator/McCall 10th.But after chicago blindsided everyone by taking Coates 2nd,dallas had to jump on Akator at #3.There was no guarantee that she'd still be on the board when it came time to select the #10 pick.What I love about Akhator is that she has a motor,and if self sufficient.She's a low usage player who can create offense by getting offensive rebounds and running the floor.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think in the longer run #17 McCall will be a better PF than #3 Akhator. I love Akhator's spirit, but just think she is too slight, short, and unskilled to make it in the league. And yes, I would have thought the GMs would do due dilligence on actual heights, especially on someone you are drafting that high. [shrug] And maybe they thought 6'1" could play PF. And with the right size/ skill set, it might be possible a la Brunson, Pierson...or Nneka. But Brunson & Pierson are tough, wiley vets. They both have size, experience and weight to back up their play. And Nneka has offensive skills that Evelyn has yet to develop. Also I think PF's in general are getting bigger and bigger with more diverse offensive skills, so this is a step in the wrong direction. But JMO of course and I would love to be wrong.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Think carefully now.... who would you rather have? The #3 pick from this year's draft or this mid-first rounder from next year's draft?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Think carefully now.... who would you rather have? The #3 pick from this year's draft or this mid-first rounder from next year's draft?

Ding ding ding .... Idea

PostPosted: 04/26/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Russell,but with her injury history(feet) she's no guarantee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 13 of 36

Jump to: