RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SBC denounces 'alt-right white supremacy'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/15/17 8:05 am    ::: SBC denounces 'alt-right white supremacy' Reply Reply with quote

http://bpnews.net/49057/sbc-denounces-altright-white-supremacy

Quote:
Southern Baptist ethics leader Russell Moore, who spoke in support of the resolution from the floor, said of the resolution's passage, "Southern Baptists were right to speak clearly and definitely that 'alt-right' white nationalism is not just a sociological movement but a work of the devil.

"Racism and white supremacy are not merely social issues," said Moore, president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. "Racism and white supremacy attack the Gospel itself and the person of our Lord Jesus Christ."

PostPosted: 06/15/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, yes, but only after first trying to bury the initial, more forceful, resolution:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/06/14/southern-baptist-convention-went-rails-last-night-white-supremacy

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/14/15799134/southern-baptist-condemnation-alt-right-russell-moore-evangelicals

Something I didn't know before:

Quote:
In the aftermath of Tuesday night's white supremacy chaos at the Southern Baptists' annual convention, the line that's getting the most attention on social media is: "a denomination that was explicitly founded to support slavery."

For those who don't know their church history, yes, the largest Protestant denomination in the U.S. was founded on the belief of a biblical justification for slaveholding. I'm not Baptist, but as a former religion editor here at the DMN, I am well aware of that grim fact — and how long it took for church leadership to even begin making amends.

The AZ Republic reported that the chair of the committee that killed the initial resolution explained:

Quote:
Duke said McKissic's resolution was "too open-ended," but the SBC isn't necessarily against the spirit of his proposal.

"Some of the ideology associated with certain people with the alt-right are certainly offensive to us," Duke said. "If we had received a resolution that we believe could speak to those problematic ideologies in a way that would enable us to only speak to those who are associated with the alt-right, we would have been happy to take that up."

The committee was concerned the language of McKissic's resolution could implicate people with conservative views as members of the alt-right movement, Duke said.

He added the committee believes McKissic's resolution was over-reaching in asserting that members of the alt-right support ethnic cleansing.
"The resolution just contained some significantly inflammatory language that we felt was over the bar," Duke said.

To which McKissic responded:

Quote:
After the session, McKissic said he thought Duke's public criticism of his resolution was "unfair" and "inappropriate."

"He's allowed to attack this resolution from the floor of the Southern Baptist Convention, and I'm not allowed to respond?" he said. "I'm shocked that this would be permitted."

McKissic said he was "horrified" that "the same man who attacked my resolution says 'Let's show compassion,' but let's not show compassion to the people that the alt-right is attacking."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/15/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good article about the alt-right broohaha at the SBC:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-southern-baptist-convention-alt-right-white-supremacy/530244/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: