RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 11/18/05 10:17 pm    ::: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

New Mexico, after a hard loss at the hands of Oklahoma earlier in the week, defeated the Texas Longhorns @ Texas 76-68.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/19/05 12:19 am    ::: Re: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

Anyone see it? That's an enormous upset, especially since it's in Austin (everyone knows the Pit is a hard place to play).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/19/05 12:23 am    ::: Re: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

Is this a good time to point out that I have been touting Texas as the most over-rated team in the country?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/19/05 12:29 am    ::: Re: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Is this a good time to point out that I have been touting Texas as the most over-rated team in the country?

Yes, it is.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/19/05 12:33 am    ::: Re: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Yes, it is.

Very Happy

Retav8or

PostPosted: 11/19/05 12:46 am    ::: Re: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Yes, it is.

Very Happy

As they were the most overrated team last year.

Skol Vikings
State of Hockey
Los Lynx
Sass

PostPosted: 11/19/05 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Mexico has also been underrated for a long time.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
joobee

PostPosted: 11/19/05 3:05 pm    ::: Re: New Mexico Upsets Texas in Austin Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
New Mexico, after a hard loss at the hands of Oklahoma earlier in the week, defeated the Texas Longhorns @ Texas 76-68.

The boxscore shows TX ahead in just about every category except shooting/FTM %
And it was their first game, while it was the Lobos 4th.

Not to take too much away from the Lobos; Coach Flanagan gets more out of his players than one might expect on the basis of the stats of his recruitment classes. While I think "scrappy" is a code word that opposing coaches use when they don't know what else to say, the Lobos are "scrappy" tenacious and verrry hard working. This team has key experience & stability in junior Katie Montgomery at the point , Abbie Letz and Jana Francis as seniors, even though their leading scorers were both sophomores.

The Lobos still look to land a bonafide All American in their recruiting class though lord knows they're trying. They perennially start off slow and have a preponderance of games where they can't shoot & have to rely on defense to win. Of course a win is a win any way they can get it but spectators at the PIT would love to see a big time scorer show up in the recruiting roster one of these years.

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 11/19/05 4:07 pm    ::: The Pit Reply Reply with quote

I would love to go to a game at the PIT. Its the hardest place in the country to play a game from what many people say.

PostPosted: 11/19/05 4:32 pm    ::: Re: The Pit Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
I would love to go to a game at the PIT. Its the hardest place in the country to play a game from what many people say.

If a coach knows what his/her team needs, choosing to play in the PIT prior to the NCAAs makes sense. I'm sure OKlahoma learned something playing there. The PIT is bedlam! Coaches who come into the PIT know that they need some form of sign language (or as Kathy Marpe did - brought actual signs to hold up for her players to see).

The ardent fans in Albuquerque know they've got a good thing going. The attendance for women's games at the PIT is greater than all the other teams in their conference combined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: