RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bye, bye, Tennessee?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/26/16 2:21 pm    ::: Bye, bye, Tennessee? Reply Reply with quote

There has been at least one Tennessee player on all USA women's basketball Olympic teams since the first in 1976:

1976: Cindy Brogdon, Pat Head (UT-Martin)

1980: Cindy Noble, Jill Rankin, Holly Warlick, Pat Head (asst. coach) - team didn't play because of boycott

1984: Lea Henry, Cindy Noble, Pat Summitt (head coach), Nancy Darsch (asst. coach)

1988: Bridgette Gordon

1992: Daedra Charles

1996: Nikki McCray, Carla McGhee

2000: Chamique Holdsclaw, Nikki McCray

2004: Tamika Catchings

2008: Tamika Catchings, Kara Lawson, Candace Parker

2012: Tamika Catchings, Candace Parker

2016: Tamika Catchings

Will the Tennessee string continue in 2020, 2024, et seq., or will it end? Does Tennessee have any Olympians on its current roster or in its recruiting pipeline?

(And, hijackingly, "bye, bye" to the recently deceased Jesuit priest and Ph.D., John McLaughlin.)
pilight

PostPosted: 08/26/16 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't discount the possibility that Candace Parker will be back on the team in 2020.

PostPosted: 08/26/16 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I wouldn't discount the possibility that Candace Parker will be back on the team in 2020.

If Geno isn't the coach she should be. If he is, then you can forget about it.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is an outside chance that Isabelle Harrison develops into a good center option. Also, Diamond DeShields will be a pro by then.

Parker could also be in the mix for the 2018 WC and 2020 Olympics but the reality is that she'll be 34 while Stewart will be 25 and Delle Donne 30. Unless they can find a way to include all 3 I would go with the younger players for the long-term continuity.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 08/26/16 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
There is an outside chance that Isabelle Harrison develops into a good center option. Also, Diamond DeShields will be a pro by then.

Parker could also be in the mix for the 2018 WC and 2020 Olympics but the reality is that she'll be 34 while Stewart will be 25 and Delle Donne 30. Unless they can find a way to include all 3 I would go with the younger players for the long-term continuity.

There's plenty of room for all 3 of them.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/26/16 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

There's plenty of room for all 3 of them.

True. It will come down to who is challenging 4 years from now. I strongly suspect they will take one less post and one more guard since there will be an almost 100% turnover at that position. So 5 guards, Angel and Maya at the 3, and 5 posts.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/13/21 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bye, bye was the correct answer. And so also for 2024, my fellow Nostradamuses?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: