RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gold: USA vs Spain - 8/20/16
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/18/16 6:42 pm    ::: Gold: USA vs Spain - 8/20/16 Reply Reply with quote

2016 Olympics Gold Medal Game
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 2:30 PM ET

TV: NBC, Basketball Specialty Channel

Stream:
http://stream.nbcolympics.com/womens-basketball-gold-medal

Phone or tablet:
"NBC Sports" app

Live stats:
http://www.fiba.com/ls/#8093&BKW400101

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/18/16 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Spain to be able to hang in this game, Torrens has to be able to carry them. Having now seen her several times, I think her game is radically similar to Penny Taylor's in that she has a somewhat similar frame for a guard, good court vision, and would be at her peak level of performance as the second or third option on a WNBA team. Similar to Torrens, Taylor isn't really a "carry the team on her shoulders" type of player. But give her a star or two to play off of and her game through the years has really shined. I see Torrens being similar in that regard. Problem with Spain is they have a lot of players who are at their best playing off of teammates rather than being the lead dog.

I think it will be closer than their first game against Team USA, but that's about all I can say. I'd love to see a big game from Torrens and Cruz so that the game can be at its max from an entertainment standpoint.

PostPosted: 08/19/16 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope that Bird can play. Spain has some scrappy defenders in Cruz and Xargay who are going to put a lot of pressure on the ball handler.
I like to see Taurasi more off the ball for USA to space it up. I wouldn't be surprised if half of Birds assists were to Taurasi on the wing.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 08/19/16 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA USA USA USA!

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 08/19/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Sue can play, she really makes a big difference in how the team plays. The first half against France was a prime example of just how important Sue is to the team!

PostPosted: 08/19/16 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm psyched!

This game can't and won't be a snoozer. The offense without Bird is too clunky to sleep walk. The defense will have it's hand full chasing the smaller perimeter players around. I'm willing to bet Geno goes with a Lynx line-up to steady things, maybe even to finish. At least Catch is rested, and Stewart too especially if EDD's eye is a problem. Bigs will do fine. Does Dabovic happen or does DABOVIC happen? Angel can chase her around and make her work up and down the court.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/19/16 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
I'm psyched!

This game can't and won't be a snoozer. The offense without Bird is too clunky to sleep walk. The defense will have it's hand full chasing the smaller perimeter players around. I'm willing to bet Geno goes with a Lynx line-up to steady things, maybe even to finish. At least Catch is rested, and Stewart too especially if EDD's eye is a problem. Bigs will do fine. Does Dabovic happen or does DABOVIC happen? Angel can chase her around and make her work up and down the court.

Um Dabovic isnt playing for Spain. She plays for Serba. I doubt that Stewart is going to get a lot of playing time. She and Catch are the last 2 players in the rotation although i see Catchings playing in this one because Spains posts are smaller

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 08/19/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys overvalue Bird WAY too much. Whalen is more than capable of doing what she does. And the defense improves...

PostPosted: 08/19/16 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops.
edit --- Torrens. Torrens is what I meant.

Something unrelated :

Arizona Republic sports columnist Dan Bickley asked star guard Diana Taurasi if the team was getting due recognition.

She had a sarcastic answer.

Hey, well see after Saturday, Taurasi said. Run around naked. Well all get attention, win or lose.

Umm ... there's 7 seconds on that tv shot clock.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 08/19/16 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
You guys overvalue Bird WAY too much. Whalen is more than capable of doing what she does. And the defense improves...

Agreed.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/19/16 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

Offense looks best with Sue.

PostPosted: 08/19/16 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

I'd pick Whalen over Sue anyday.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

And that has absolutely nothing to do with you being a Lynx fan, right? Rolling Eyes

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/20/16 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Defense doesnt improve jack shit when Whalen comes in. They are both bad defenders. Defense improves when other defensive players come in(Griner, Syl, Catchings and even Angel who looks locked in)

Bird is having a better WNBA season and olympics then Whalen. My opinion on Whalen so far during the olympics is that she forcing too much by herself and that she is missing open teammates in the proces. Also during halfcourt offense the offense looks pretty stagnant(but i admit it looked the same when Taurasi ran the point against France).
Last olympics Whalen looked a lot better when she could run with Angel Augustus etc in fastbreaks but this year it hasnt worked out the same way IMO

Betty Lou

PostPosted: 08/20/16 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno is in love with sue bird and DT. They played the most minutes and all he talks about is them. !FireGeno

PostPosted: 08/20/16 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who had a better Olympics DT or Maya?

Who had a better Olympics Bird or Whalen?

Who had a better Olympics EDD or BG?

Who had a better Olympics Seimone or Angel?

Who had a better Olympics Tamika or Breanna?

Who had a better Olympics Syl or Tina?

PostPosted: 08/20/16 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What To Watch For: USA vs. Spain

http://www.wnba.com/news/watch-usa-vs-spain/

Quote:
No matter what happens on Saturday, the Spanish Womens National Basketball team will be taking home their first ever Olympic medal. In fact, never before had they even reached the semifinal stage.

Quote:
win would extend their gold medal streak to six, matching the U.S. Mens Basketball and Indian Mens Field Hockey as the only group sports programs to win six straight Olympic gold medals.

Quote:
104 points (or just 100) would give them six 100-plus point performances, the most in one Olympics; second, with 104 points they would pass the 96 squads record of 819 total points in one Olympic tournament.

Quote:
If the Spanish women hope to take home the first gold medal in Spanish basketball history, they will have to rely on their defense to get them there. Their offense isnt bad, as theyre currently fifth in scoring in Rio (74.1 points per game), but they arent beating the Americans in a shootout.

Quote:
Torrens has continued to play well in Rio, dropping 16.1 points per game, good for sixth in the tournament, and also holds the third highest single game totalthe 32 she dropped on China in the group stage.

Torrens wont do much work from the outsideshes made just 4 three-pointers in Riobut she can get to the line, with seven made free throws in three different games.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/20/16 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Jet Jaguar"]You guys overvalue Bird WAY too much. Whalen is more than capable of doing what she does. And the defense improves...[/quote]

Then you are not watching the games or you are a homer fan. It has clearly been better with Bird as lead PG. Whalen has forced shots and missed open players at situations when USA could have easily had a wide open shot. And btw I am a Whalen fan both her and Bird are far superior to the other PGs except of course you have to include DT in their group.

SCook

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer Sue running the point. The offense is fluid, the floor us spaced well, there aren't many lapsed defensive errors because she pays attention to switches and makes sure that she stays on the right person defensively.

Whalen comes in WITH the defensive lineup of Angel, Seimone, and Fowles, that doesn't make her a good defender. Those 3 ARE the defenders. Offensively, Whalen goes to a more one on one type of play but benefits from Angel's ability to run the floor for fast breaks along with Syl. That's why the offense wasn't as effective when she played with BG in the middle because instead of using the post as a scoring option in a set play she was using them to open the lane for her jump shots or drive.

So, yeah. I'm taking Sue

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

And that has absolutely nothing to do with you being a Lynx fan, right? Rolling Eyes

There's an obvious reason why im a lynx fan and NOT a Seattle fan. Cool

SCook

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney, get yaself together

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Dee's a little emotional to start the game. She's gotta calm down a bit.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When did Whalen become such a no-pass PG?

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whalen is not playing like point guard. Pass the ball.

PostPosted: 08/20/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a bad call against Nichols. Angel just totally launched into her.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: