RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The unpatriotic ones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/14/16 10:24 am    ::: The unpatriotic ones Reply Reply with quote

In the USA vs. China women's basketball game, here are the traitors who didn't put their hands over their hearts during the national anthem: Bird, Moore, McCoughtry, Delle Donne.

Where is HUAC when you need it?

None of the Chinese players put their hands over their hearts. But that's because they had their arms around each others' backs as they all sang their national anthem in unison.

#TraitorWatch will have its cameras on other sports and the medal ceremonies.
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol. I can't remember the last time I actually put my hand over my heart during the anthem.

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whining just to whine..

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Lol. I can't remember the last time I actually put my hand over my heart during the anthem.

Piffle. When's the last time you had thousands of zoom lenses focused on you as an athlete, representing your country, during an Olympic event . . . watched by tens of people.
miller40

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Piffle. When's the last time you had thousands of zoom lenses focused on you as an athlete, representing your country, during an Olympic event . . . watched by tens of people.

Laughing Lol, but also, ouch. Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed that Joseph Schooling, who beat Phelps, put his hand over his heart during the Singapore national anthem. I wonder if they actually do that in Singapore or if he picked it up going to school in Florida.

Also amused by people who put their hands basically on their ribs. Are they faking it or do they not know where their heart is... or maybe they're from another planet?

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anthem etiquette, both during one's own and during the anthem of a foreign nation, has not been properly taught for a while.

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's certainly not something that's done over here. The only times I remember any controversy around the anthem has been with naturalised sportsmen/women, who've sometimes been asked if they know the words at press conferences. They're put under a bit more scrutiny. But the hand on heart thing isn't done at all.

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care about putting your hand on your heart during the anthem, but it does bother me when people look down as if praying. You're supposed to stand with your head held high, indicating pride in your country.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/14/16 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what document indicates heart covered by hand is required?

PostPosted: 08/14/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Cruz has his hand on his gun. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/14/16 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Cruz has his hand on his gun. Laughing

rofl. thank you.

- Amanda Gorman
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/14/16 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Believe it or not, there actually is a law.

According to 36 U.S. Code 301 - National anthem, all non-military personnel hearing the Star Spangled Banner should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/gabby-douglas-not-apologize-anthemgate-article-1.2747695

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/14/16 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

According to 36 U.S. Code 301 - National anthem, all non-military personnel hearing the Star Spangled Banner should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/gabby-douglas-not-apologize-anthemgate-article-1.2747695

True. What I didn't know until about five minutes ago is that under other provisions of that chapter of the Code:

- the rose is the national floral emblem
- "The tree genus Quercus, commonly known as the oak tree, is the national tree."
- "The composition by John Philip Sousa entitled "The Stars and Stripes Forever" is the national march."
- "The mammal commonly known as the 'North American bison'" is the national mammal
and
- ""In God we trust" is the national motto."

tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/16 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

I don't even like the fact that they play the national anthem at sporting events (started to drum up patriotism in WWI and later WWII - and then just remained). I would like to see them have extra police at the start of sporting events looking to arrest anyone who didn't stand, face the flag, remove their hat, and put their hand over their heart. Then we would find out if the majority want that law and/or the national anthem played at sporting events.

EDIT: well I guess that couldn't happen because the article linked says: " (though one cannot be prosecuted for it)". Then again, maybe that doesn't preclude being arrested for it.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/15/16 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VIEWS OF SPORT; Patriotism on the Sports Front

... there is some precedent for the symbols of wartime patriotism to become part of the permanent landscape. The national anthem, after all, which was apparently first played before a sporting event in 1862 -- at a baseball game -- and somewhat more extensively during World War I, has been heard before virtually every game in every sport since it became a fixture in World War II.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/03/sports/views-of-sport-patriotism-on-the-sports-front.html

Interesting article about how American flags came to be on athletic uniforms. IMO, I'd do away with all the nationalistic stuff: flags, songs, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: