RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympics General Commentary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/15/16 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

They were offered the perks. They accepted them. There is nothing wrong with that.

Yes, there is plenty wrong that they were offered unreasonably extravagent perks by USAB.

There's also plenty wrong if any of them wouldn't otherwise have gone. I think most would have gone anyhow. The others should have stayed home. In the absence of some evidence that somebody said "I'll only play if you surround me in obscene luxury", I'll assume it's not the players who are to blame here.

I also don't care a bit if one of the players chose to rent the entire top floor of the Sofitel Copacabana for himself and his entourage with his own money. I personally think they're missing out by doing so, but they're free to make that choice.

That doesn't excuse USAB from the grossly excessive waste of money or the ridiculous appearance it presented to the world.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/15/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm confused.

JIT is arguing against bureaucratic redistribution of taxpayer wealth and in favor of fiscal conservatism.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/15/16 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
miller40 wrote:
It has just been confirmed Ryan Lochte and three other US swimmers were robbed at gunpoint by people posing as armed police.

Quote:
We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over, Lochte said. They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didnt do anything wrong, so Im not getting down on the ground.

And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, Get down, and I put my hands up, I was like whatever. He took our money, he took my wallet he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-and-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?_r=0

And this:

". . . on the night of the opening ceremony, the chief of security was mugged at knife-point. Two coaches for Australias rowing team were attacked and robbed in the Ipanema neighborhood, while some Olympians were robbed of belongings in the athletes village during a fire drill. Multiple bullets have landed in the equestrian venue, and a bus carrying members of the news media was attacked, its windows shattered."

Thank Jehoshaphat that USAB had the foresight to imprison our basketball players on a tugboat.

Well at least no bombing or coaches family members murdered like in Atlanta and Beijing.

Let's not forget the very, very real fear of terrorism this summer, for which population mass in Rio would be a rich target.

And let's never forget the massacre of the Israeli team begun at Olympic Village dorms during the 1972 Munich Olympics by the Palestine group of Muslim terrorists called Black September.

I'll never forget the gripping reporting of this massacre over the days by the great ABC sports reporter Jim McKay.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/46393982" width="640" height="362" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/15/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

If they have to be bribed to go they shouldnt be there in the first place. Bring collegiate or other amateur teams.

It's 2016. A team of our collegiate players wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics.

Then they don't qualify....

A solution which works for all interested parties, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.

Last edited by Silky Johnson on 08/15/16 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/15/16 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

If they have to be bribed to go they shouldnt be there in the first place. Bring collegiate or other amateur teams.

It's 2016. A team of our collegiate players wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics.

Then they don't qualify....

So we should use collegiate players while everyone else uses professionals? Come on..

We did that for decades, because of the IOC's bizarre definition of amateur.

For decades, our collegiate players were named Robertson and West and Collins and Jones and Jordan and Ewing and Mullin. And now, they're... not.

Look at it this way: a team of college players, with Breanna Stewart as their best player, lost to the same Canadian NT that got pounded by a senior women's team where Breanna Stewart is probably the tenth-best player. Now, try applying that to the men: let us lose this gold medal, with a team full of pros, and then have to qualify for Tokyo with a team full of collegians, and see how that plays out.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/15/16 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite olympics site to get all the info in an easy format? Especially schedule & results. I find myself bopping around to multiple sites trying to find whatever I'm looking for and wasting a lot of time having to flip thru multiple pages. For instance, I would like to go to sports - name of sport - and see all the results to date in that sport. This seems like a reasonable approach, but thus far haven't found a site that lets me do it. It feels like I have to excavate thru a lot of shit just to find basic information.
I would say it's far from perfect for stuff like that (and for scheduling you'd obviously have to adapt for time zones), but I use the BBC Sport site at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/

Thanks - this is good for getting results by sport and that's what I was most looking for. The other sites seem to think you should look thru all the results day by day. Rolling Eyes

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/16/16 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see the point of ripping USAB for renting a special place for the basketball teams ... why them and not, say the wrestlers?

But I also don't know what happens in other sports. Are any other US teams living outside the Olympic Village? Is Allyson Felix staying there?

My understanding is that the Village is not necessarily the best place to get a good night's rest (Organizers distributed 450,000 condoms), but maybe the U.S. basketball teams are the only ones who aren't there. Without context, though, it's harder to form an opinion ...

As for the college team, please. If Australia doesn't send its six NBA players, and Serbia doesn't send its four, and France however many it has, then the U.S. can follow suit, I guess. But I don't think anyone wants to send less than the best available ...

PostPosted: 08/16/16 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to share this great picture of Gold Medalist Michelle Carter

PostPosted: 08/16/16 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
But I also don't know what happens in other sports. Are any other US teams living outside the Olympic Village? Is Allyson Felix staying there?

Yes she is

http://www.etonline.com/news/195442_olympics_interview_runner_allyson_felix/

Quote:
What's life really like in the Olympic Village?

It's fun! You get a mix of so many different athletes and sports, which is unique to the Olympic Village. But at the same time, youre taking care of business -- having medical visits and treatments, going to the busy dining hall. There's a grocery store and the P&G Olympic Village Salon where athletes receive decadent treatments -- everyone wants to go there. It's the talk of the town.

PostPosted: 08/16/16 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Just wanted to share this great picture of Gold Medalist Michelle Carter

She has a great nickname too: Shot Diva.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/17/16 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

another heartbreaker for Brazil. Top seed, two-time gold medalists in women's volleyball were eliminated last night in a 5 set thriller against China.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/17/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
SB Nation says the boatel is likely being paid for by Cisco, rather than taken out of the general heap of USAB money crowd sourced from Joe Smith and Jane Jones.

First, it hardly matters if Colangelo solicited some sucker company. The money should have been raised for and used on something worthwhile.

But even more significantly in light of the following announcement, if that's true and I was one of those soon to be former Cisco employees or a Cisco shareholder, I'd be collosally pissed off about wasting money on this extravagance.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN10S05D

Hope everyone's enjoying their suites and spa treatments while 14,000 Cisco workers are worrying about paying their mortgages.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/17/16 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
another heartbreaker for Brazil. Top seed, two-time gold medalists in women's volleyball were eliminated last night in a 5 set thriller against China.

Well, one of their beach volleyball teams upset Kerry Walsh Jennings and April Ross last night, so that should make up for it.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/17/16 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

in the men's soccer semis, Brazil defeated Honduras 6-0 while Germany defeated Nigeria 2-0.

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/17/16 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
It has just been confirmed Ryan Lochte and three other US swimmers were robbed at gunpoint by people posing as armed police.

Quote:
We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over, Lochte said. They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didnt do anything wrong, so Im not getting down on the ground.

And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, Get down, and I put my hands up, I was like whatever. He took our money, he took my wallet he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-and-three-teammates-robbed-at-gunpoint.html?_r=0

Yeah, about that....

Brazilian Judge Orders Seizure of Ryan Lochte's Passport
Quote:

A police official with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press that witnesses, along with the taxi driver, cannot be located. The official spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

There were some contradictions in the statements of the four alleged robbery victims, including the number of assailants and the time the events supposedly took place, according to the judge's order to search the rooms and seize the passports.

PostPosted: 08/18/16 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's hard to believe the swimmers would totally make up a story like that. Maybe we will find out but probably only if one of them 'confesses' - otherwise it will be a he said/they said thing. The way things work in SA, it is totally plausible for them to have been held up in this way. Good friend spent his teenage years there (his father was a diplomat) and he says stuff like that happened all the time.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 08/18/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the USOC simply can't do anything, and it's really giving them a bad image. The question is where's the third swimmer, James Feigen.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/sport/us-swimmers-olympics-robbery-questions/index.html

toad455

PostPosted: 08/18/16 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

latest reports say Lochte & teammates lied about robbery.

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/18/ryan-lochte-us-swimmers-rio-robbery-brazil-gas-station-news-updates-latest?xid=si_social

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/16 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allyson Felix's rough week continues

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3747226/U-S-women-s-4x100-relay-disqualified-Allyson-Felix-ELBOWED-Brazilian-DROPS-baton.html

Quote:
The U.S. women's 4x100 relay team is currently protesting their disqualification for dropping a baton during their qualifying heat.

Allyson Felix was passing the baton off to English Gardner for the third leg when she says she was elbowed by a Brazilian sprinter in the lane to her right.

PostPosted: 08/18/16 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U.S. women to re-run 4x100-meter relay heat after botched handover

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/17337528/us-women-re-run-heat-4x100-meter-relay-botched-handover

Quote:
The International Association of Athletics Federations said the U.S. will need to run faster than 42.70 to bump China from the final

PostPosted: 08/18/16 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lochte, 3 US swimmers lied about robbery to cover up gas station brawl.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/lochte-3-us-swimmers-lied-about-robbery-in-rio-report/

I wonder if any kind of punishment will come of this.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/18/16 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best part is he lied because he didn't want to tell his mother the truth. Then got stuck in it. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/18/16 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect the "I didn't want mom to know" is an embellishment as well.

The simple answer is usually the right answer - they were completely in the bag, falling down drunk, and the story seemed like a good idea at the time.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/18/16 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think one of the relevant parts of the swimming robbery controversy story is that they were on tape returning to the Olympic Village from the "French house" early in the morning...implying that USAB isn't the only organization protecting its investment with set-aside accommodations.

PostPosted: 08/18/16 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I think one of the relevant parts of the swimming robbery controversy story is that they were on tape returning to the Olympic Village from the "French house" early in the morning...implying that USAB isn't the only organization protecting its investment with set-aside accommodations.

French House is a reception facility/club, not a housing complex.

Many of the countries host party sites like this. And the crowd is not limited to athletes. In fact it's mostly not athletes. $50 bucks or so and you too can go.

This has bupkis to do with the luxo cruise ship discussion.

Oh, and by the way, Club France is located under the grandstand in the local horse racing track. Maybe you think Sue Bird and Carmelo Anthony should be sleeping on straw in a stable?

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/olympic-party-rio-2016-national-houses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: