RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympic Women's Basketball General Thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/09/16 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PFT Cool

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm LOL at Joyce's sideline coaching. Talk about micro-managing!

PostPosted: 08/09/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The wrong people for Opals are taking the early shots

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swishhhh..... 29 points and counting...
(plus 5 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals...)

PostPosted: 08/09/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great win for the Opals. PFT was unstoppable and when she plays like this they can handle Cambage sitting for big stretches of the game due to foul trouble

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

31 points @ 77%, 9 assists, 5 boards, 3 steals & a block. Pretty handy captain's knock Very Happy

Same country where she first earned the nickname PFT, 10 years later.
BCBG25 would be proud.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the Sparks will try and get Tolo back after these Olympics. I know they have Wauters, but they could also dump Dubljevic.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40

PostPosted: 08/09/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Penny put on a show. That was ridiculous. Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/09/16 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dantas doing work

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/09/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Belarus edges out Brazil 65-63

Dantas 23 pts, 10 reb, 4 stl
Santos 17 pts, 11 reb, 4 stl

Troina 18 pts, 4 reb, 1 ast
Leuchanka 15 pts, 6 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl
Harding 12 pts, 1 reb, 6 ast, 1 stl

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/09/16 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if the Sparks will try and get Tolo back after these Olympics. I know they have Wauters, but they could also dump Dubljevic.

They are already having trouble to find enough minutes for Lavender. So i doubt that Tolo is coming over for 8-10 minutes off the bench if she is lucky

Shades

PostPosted: 08/09/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They are already having trouble to find enough minutes for Lavender. So i doubt that Tolo is coming over for 8-10 minutes off the bench if she is lucky

The Sparks also didn't leave any flexibilty to add a player.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/09/16 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
Impressive comeback win for Canada. Fields and Kia Nurse were huge in this game on both sides. Big turnovers and miss shots and free throws cost Serbia this win. I don't wanna take anything from Canada but at the end of the game Serbia looked like they were playing on tired legs. Ana Dabovic had a couple nice plays. Perovic JMilovic Cabo had good games.

Fiba has a couple interesting rules. One was that made basket by Nurse in transit but her teammate was called for a charge but they still counted the 2pt for Kia. The other rule was the jumpball which I'm wondering why they even call it a jumpball since one team gets the ball and next time there's another tie up the other team get it.

Was the ball already loose and in the air before the charge? Because then the basket counts. I think she same happens in the WNBA but the play doesn't happen often.

I like the arrow possession instead of the jumpball. It's the same in collegeball in the USA right?
Im not sure if the ball was in the air since the camera was on Kia and the charge took place out of the view. I never see it happened in the wnba.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/09/16 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope Pokey watched Brazil today...

toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

...and tells DeSouza to retire. Laughing Laughing Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/16 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Spain's just gonna jack up a bunch of shots today vs. China?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/10/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having now watched several international games, I think the quality of officiating is vastly superior to the WNBA. There aren't many "star" calls. If your body is moving into the path of an offensive player it's generally a foul. If your hands are not straight up and you make contact with a shooter, it's usually a quick foul call. You know, like it should be.

I know no officiating will be perfect. But I haven't seen a game yet where I thought the officiating was horrible. Even games where the coaches were animated. Even in the one game (I think Australia-Turkey women's) where there were numerous ticky tack calls at least it was fairly consistent in the type of call that was a foul. At least then the players can adjust.

Not to mention falling on the ground doesn't seem to be as automatic of a foul as it is in the WNBA in that the officials seem to use more discretion when players fall to the ground.

Just my two cents. People may disagree. Since international games (outside of team USA) are generally slower-paced, they're a little easier to officiate. Also, the lack of a defensive 3 second call means one less thing the officials have to look for. And it means defensive help is more readily available, making penetrations more difficult. In turn, that's fewer decisions officials will have to make. That being said, I still think it's more consistent in the Olympics than in the W.

PostPosted: 08/10/16 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Senegal has given Canada all they can handle today...Canada up by 10 with 3:20 left.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/16 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Having now watched several international games, I think the quality of officiating is vastly superior to the WNBA. There aren't many "star" calls. If your body is moving into the path of an offensive player it's generally a foul. If your hands are not straight up and you make contact with a shooter, it's usually a quick foul call. You know, like it should be.

I know no officiating will be perfect. But I haven't seen a game yet where I thought the officiating was horrible. Even games where the coaches were animated. Even in the one game (I think Australia-Turkey women's) where there were numerous ticky tack calls at least it was fairly consistent in the type of call that was a foul. At least then the players can adjust.

Not to mention falling on the ground doesn't seem to be as automatic of a foul as it is in the WNBA in that the officials seem to use more discretion when players fall to the ground.

Just my two cents. People may disagree. Since international games (outside of team USA) are generally slower-paced, they're a little easier to officiate. Also, the lack of a defensive 3 second call means one less thing the officials have to look for. And it means defensive help is more readily available, making penetrations more difficult. In turn, that's fewer decisions officials will have to make. That being said, I still think it's more consistent in the Olympics than in the W.

These officials have to make a lot of travel calls though. In the WNBA those are hardly called

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/10/16 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

...and tells DeSouza to retire. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'd settle for just giving the better player her minutes at this point, but considering she already traded for de Souza instead of Dantas and then re-signed her, that probably won't happen either. Gotta make it look like they got something in return for Fowles (even though it's subtraction by addition by now)

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/10/16 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Canada got a scare late but got the win to make history at 3-0 for the first time in the Olympics.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Canada got a scare late but got the win to make history at 3-0 for the first time in the Olympics.

They're definitely gonna lose their next game.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/11/16 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

Good for them. I've often wondered why they didn't make more of a splash in the basketball scene, particularly given the number of players who play ball in the NCAA. I know outdoor winter sports reign supreme, but clearly there are kids who enjoy warmer indoor games as well. Wink

PostPosted: 08/11/16 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Presumably the Olympics draw the best officials in the entire world.

The WNBA draws officials from a pool that is a) heavily biased towards women, regardless of their relative ability vis-a-vis men; and b) thinned significantly by officials working the NBA and NCAA.

Again, it's not that women are in any way less likely to be good officials than men, it's just the number of available female refs is much smaller.

If there are 100 females to 1000 males in officiating (and that may be generous on the female side), the top 10 females are in the 90th percentile and the top ten males are in the 99th percentile. Presumably, all things being equal, the top 100 males and top 10 females are at roughly the same level yet the ratio of female WNBA officials to male WNBA officials does not reflect that reality.

PostPosted: 08/11/16 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart with the alleyoop dunk from EDD
https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/763769127957827584?lang=nl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: