RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rio Olympic Village
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/24/16 9:09 pm    ::: Rio Olympic Village Reply Reply with quote

Rio’s Olympic village in crisis less than two weeks from start of the Games

Quote:
Water leaks, unlit stairwells, blocked toilets - Rio’s Olympic village is under siege.
Australia has arranged for Monday’s first arrivals, including canoeing star Jessica Fox and boxer Shelley Watts, to stay in hotels due to major safety issues in the athletes’ village including sewage flowing into showers.
Australia’s team management have refused to stay in the village because they do not believe it is safe with leaks, bad lighting and other electrical issues.
The Australian section of the Olympic village is beset by problems.
“Problems include blocked toilets, leaking pipes, exposed wiring, darkened stairwells where no lighting has been installed and dirty floors in need of a massive clean,” the head of the Australian team, Kitty Chiller, said in a statement.
She said other delegations, including those from Britain and New Zealand, were experiencing the same problems.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/rios-olympic-village-in-crisis-less-than-two-weeks-from-start-of-the-games/news-story/da72d4aa09bed8a97c50f2e1dbfc98b5

PostPosted: 07/24/16 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rio is having a tough day in the local press down here.

Quote:
A New Zealand athlete says he was kidnapped and forced to withdraw cash from ATMs by men dressed in police uniforms in Rio de Janeiro.
Jiu-Jitsu athlete Jason Lee took to social media to confirm the news.

“What did you guys get up to yesterday? I got kidnapped. Go Olympics! #Rio2016,” he tweeted.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/new-zealand-olympian-jason-lee--kidnapped-by-police-in-rio-de-janeiro/news-story/b295e7d12df51ebba9a8d0ddbf8390a5

PostPosted: 07/24/16 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lovely. I've got tickets to a couple of downtown activities that I'm thinking of eating the cost on for safety. But I was kind of expecting that the walk from my apartment to the Olympic Park was at least safe. But if the doggone cops are expecting bribes...

tfan

PostPosted: 07/25/16 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They ought to pick a permanent site(s) for the Olympics, or just cancel it and let yearly World Championships be good enough. All this special construction is a huge burden that most countries can't afford.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/25/16 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone surprised by the fact that Rio is completely unprepared hasn't been paying attention.
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 07/25/16 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read about a Olympian was picked up by police and taken to a several ATM machines. He was told if he did not give them money they would arrest him. I think this is just the beginning of horror stories in Rio.

miller40

PostPosted: 07/25/16 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rio's Mayor had this to say in response to the Australian concerns:
Quote:
But Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes responded to Australian criticism by saying the Village is "more beautiful" than Sydney for the 2000 Games and that he was about to put "a kangaroo jumping outside" to "make them feel at home".

Lovely.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36879349

toad455

PostPosted: 07/25/16 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this might turn out to be the worst Olympics ever. What a mess.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/25/16 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why you don't put Olympics in a country that already can't take care of itself.

Olympic water venues that resemble cesspools and with body parts washing up on shore. The IOC, if they had the capability (which they don't), should be ashamed of themselves.

The word "clusterfuck" cannot be said enough.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/25/16 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Welcome to Hell"...according to these cops.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/28/rio-olympics-safety-security-budgets-cut

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 07/25/16 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/28/rio-olympics-safety-security-budgets-cut

So sad. All athletes deserve better.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/25/16 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

these news reports keep getting worse. I hope everyone going is safe and returns healthy.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/26/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olympic Village not complete.

http://olympics.si.com/olympics/2016/07/25/rio-olympics-athlete-village-more-half-unfinished?xid=si_social

Quote:
The Olympic village will host the nearly 18,000 athletes and officials from around the world when the Rio Games kick off on Aug. 5. However, 19 of the 31 buildings in the village have yet to pass safety checks.

Quote:
Some countries have already checked into the village, and have experienced problems such as gas leaks, small fires, floods and electrical issues. Australia refused to check into the village when it opened Sunday due to its various problems.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/26/16 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Olympic Village not complete.

http://olympics.si.com/olympics/2016/07/25/rio-olympics-athlete-village-more-half-unfinished?xid=si_social

Quote:
The Olympic village will host the nearly 18,000 athletes and officials from around the world when the Rio Games kick off on Aug. 5. However, 19 of the 31 buildings in the village have yet to pass safety checks.

Quote:
Some countries have already checked into the village, and have experienced problems such as gas leaks, small fires, floods and electrical issues. Australia refused to check into the village when it opened Sunday due to its various problems.

One report I saw said when they flushed toilets literal shit ran down the walls.
kool-aide

PostPosted: 07/26/16 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
They ought to pick a permanent site(s) for the Olympics, or just cancel it and let yearly World Championships be good enough. All this special construction is a huge burden that most countries can't afford.

It doesn't have to be this way. Aren't the apartments built for the athlete's village in Mexico City still actual apartment buildings for the people of Mexico City now.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/26/16 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
tfan wrote:

It doesn't have to be this way. Aren't the apartments built for the athlete's village in Mexico City still actual apartment buildings for the people of Mexico City now.

yes. I believe all of the Olympic Village's eventually turn into apartments or condos.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/16 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
kool-aide wrote:
tfan wrote:

yes. I believe all of the Olympic Village's eventually turn into apartments or condos.

Atlanta's Olympic housing was funded by the University System of Georgia. After the games it became student housing for Georgia Tech and Georgia State.

PostPosted: 07/27/16 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rio Bay is where they will be holding the Olympic sailing events. People are reporting the bay is smells like (****) and the water is fill with (****). There is very few animals living in the bay. Sewage is running from the shore into the bay.

vickilz

PostPosted: 07/27/16 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard USA Basket ball will be staying on cruise ships. What about the rest of the US Olympic teams? Staying on ships only addresses part of the problems, they still need to travel to the venue and deal with those facilities.

I understand that these athletes have worked their entire lives to compete in the Olympics, and USA not participating due to the deplorable conditions in Rio would be emotionally disappointing but shouldn't the safety, health and well being of our athletes be the priority?

I hope the decision to compete in these games wasn't made to keep the sponsors happy.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/16 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tokyo's 2020 Olympics already starting in the hole.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/17152667/tokyo-organizers-face-more-cost-increases-2020-olympics

toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/16 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest report about the dirty waters in Rio.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:17150129

lvf08

PostPosted: 07/27/16 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vickilz wrote:
I've heard USA Basket ball will be staying on cruise ships. What about the rest of the US Olympic teams? Staying on ships only addresses part of the problems, they still need to travel to the venue and deal with those facilities.

I understand that these athletes have worked their entire lives to compete in the Olympics, and USA not participating due to the deplorable conditions in Rio would be emotionally disappointing but shouldn't the safety, health and well being of our athletes be the priority?

I hope the decision to compete in these games wasn't made to keep the sponsors happy.

Simone Biles (gymnast) posted from the athlete village today. One of her teammates said the rooms had no electric outlets.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/27/16 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
I read about a Olympian was picked up by police and taken to a several ATM machines. He was told if he did not give them money they would arrest him. I think this is just the beginning of horror stories in Rio.

There are indeed disturbing reports from Rio and genuine reason for concern. But let's put these alleged "horror stories" in perspective. Suppose police in Rio threatened an athlete to get money. I live in New York City, where police murdered Eric Garner, who was selling loose cigarettes on the street and carrying no weapon. U.S. Olympic athletes may be in less danger in Rio than in the gun-crazy USA.

PostPosted: 07/27/16 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, unintended double post.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 07/27/16 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/27/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ready or Not, Rio Games will go on:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:17157007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: